Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

yes but have you considered that we've found a market-based solution to saving the coral reefs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadistic Hamster
Jan 1, 2005

What qualifies as downstream from Giant Mine? Is it everything... it's everything isn't it.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Chamale posted:

Such a terrible attempt to communicate with future generations. Just draw somebody pooping and burying it in a hole, then draw the radiation symbol buried in a deeper hole, and put that symbol on top of the waste dump. The fundamental message is "poisonous garbage buried here."

The real LMAO is that none of these precautions are required for much more dangerous quantities of heavy metals or dioxins buried at other sites. Nuclear waste is the only type of poisonous garbage you're required to bury extra-carefully.

kinda neat vox video about communicating radioactivity dangers to people who may not read English 10000 years in the future

https://youtu.be/lOEqzt36JEM

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

walking into the poison store to buy juniper flavored poison; or, perhaps, the poison with brown sugar to go with the mint i've grown in plastic buckets: "sure am glad mushrooms are illegal to grow"

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sadistic Hamster posted:

What qualifies as downstream from Giant Mine? Is it everything... it's everything isn't it.

The solution is dilution.

Eventually it'll all hit the ocean.

And then things not capable of dealing with that level of arsenic will experience sudden evolutionary pressure.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tabletops posted:

kinda neat vox video about communicating radioactivity dangers to people who may not read English 10000 years in the future

https://youtu.be/lOEqzt36JEM

the peoples of the future will learn of us and our dangerous accomplishments through the only media that survives — Vox Explainers

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
why not highly detailed statues and full color pictures of humans in agony? a speaker system running off an RTG that just screams 10minjtes/hour ? why a lovely line drawing and a huge block of text?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

we should simply invent and deploy Screamers

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mod sassinator posted:

lol that is like a photo of my spice cabinet. i need to do a clean out and start fresh

It's too late for me I licked the microwave popcorn bags. I'll take my poison spices I guess

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i am loving dead

I'm afraid you are very much alive and posting

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Perry Mason Jar posted:

For a bit of fun you can check what ingredients are illegal in other countries while perfectly legal in the US! Did you know the potassium sorbate used in making American bread is banned throughout the whole of the EU? It's also banned in Canada, Argentina, and Brazil! Studies have shown potassium sorbate to be toxic to DNA and to weaken the immune system. Enjoy your lunch sandwich, Americans!

Here is a list of banned ingredients:

Artificial Food Coloring
Artificial Preservatives and Additives
BHA (Butylated Hydroxyanisole)
BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene)
Nitrites and Propionates
Parabens
PFCs (Perfluorinated Compounds)
PFOA (Perfluorooctanoic Acid)
PFOS (Perfluorooctane Sulfonic Acid
PTFE (Teflon)
Potassium Sorbate
Potassium Bromate
Sodium Benzoate
Potassium Benzoate
Calcium Benzoate
Artificial Sweeteners
Aspartame (Nutrasweet),
Saccharin (Sweet N’ Low)
Sucralose (Splenda)
Dairy Products from Cows that are given Growth Hormones
High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS)
Hydrogenated Oil (Trans Fat)
Inhumane Products
Tobacco
Genetically-Modified Farmed Fish

Can you identify which ones are banned in the US? :) Have fun!

Aspartame owns so it better not be on there

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

robot roll call posted:

do NOT dig here. if the poo poo is missing out of the building immediately start digging here. no one today even knows what a berm is so good luck with that one also

It owns that they came up with this entire discipline and started this project and this was the best they could do and then they gave up.

To this day people have already forgotten that the whole "nothing valued is here" spiel was supposed to be a description of the feelings the environment/warnings created to protect the radioactive dump were intended to evoke and not a literal written message to the future. It hasn't even been a century. What a complete and utter failure.

It honestly depresses me sometimes how half-assed and pointless this effort was. Nuclear semiotics should have been one of contemporary humankind's greatest contributions to future civilizations. A mixture of science, art, reverse archeology, and psychology intended to last hundreds of thousands of years undiluted. Our opportunity to create the inscrutable alien ruins we've spent hundreds of years imagining in books and movies. Instead it's a lovely internet joke about "ray cats" that couldn't be further from a believable solution, which we put barely any effort into, that absolutely no one will remember in a few hundred years.

At least some of the landscape proposals were kind of cool. I would stay away from this area if I found it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
yeah, it's a great analogy for humanity

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

The toppings contain

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Potassium Benzoate

...that's bad.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It owns that they came up with this entire discipline and started this project and this was the best they could do and then they gave up.

To this day people have already forgotten that the whole "nothing valued is here" spiel was supposed to be a description of the feelings the environment/warnings created to protect the radioactive dump were intended to evoke and not a literal written message to the future. It hasn't even been a century. What a complete and utter failure.

It honestly depresses me sometimes how half-assed and pointless this effort was. Nuclear semiotics should have been one of contemporary humankind's greatest contributions to future civilizations. A mixture of science, art, reverse archeology, and psychology intended to last hundreds of thousands of years undiluted. Our opportunity to create the inscrutable alien ruins we've spent hundreds of years imagining in books and movies. Instead it's a lovely internet joke about "ray cats" that couldn't be further from a believable solution, which we put barely any effort into, that absolutely no one will remember in a few hundred years.

At least some of the landscape proposals were kind of cool. I would stay away from this area if I found it.

I think that if I stumbled across that in a desert, it would be a perfect place to stay for a while since there's copious amounts of shade there.
Hell, toss up some tarps or hides and you could quickly make it into a small impromptu settlement.
Now you just need to dig for water and...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ssthalar posted:

I think that if I stumbled across that in a desert, it would be a perfect place to stay for a while since there's copious amounts of shade there.
Hell, toss up some tarps or hides and you could quickly make it into a small impromptu settlement.
Now you just need to dig for water and...

Not like those horrible rectangular structures that seem to be everywhere. Those things are practically ovens in tne summer; who could possibly live in such a place?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just had an CRT taken and the nurse handed me a radiation cup for my balls "since I still was so young" (I'll turn 52 in March), and I said "I am not planning on bringing kids into this hellworld, you can fry the boys for all I care" and we had a good laugh.

Still made me wear the cup though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hell it might have been the only acceptable place where hostile architecture is truly appropriate.

NOPE

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i have had one (1) tree grown on my behalf in kenya thanks to an online purchase

just doing my part

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hubbert posted:

yes but have you considered that we've found a market-based solution to saving the coral reefs identifying 0.01% of the coral reefs that have the best chance of surviving climate collapse and are prioritizing fundraising into conservation efforts designed to protect them

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Take what you currently know about people and put the average one in front a a bunch of big gently caress off architecture/signage about imminent doom if you so much as disturb a rock and tell me what you think will happen

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

parabens is a good reason to avoid cheap shampoo and conditioner

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

actionjackson posted:

parabens is a good reason to avoid cheap shampoo and conditioner

Buddy I'm already 2/3rds microplastics and the rest is a poorly fermented mash of hate, tendies and pee. gently caress do I care.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Wait they can make me grow boobs AND sterilize me? I was skeptical but, I'm listening...

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if all these common products / byproducts being pumped into the environment were actually sterilizing us you'd think condom manufacturers and vasectomy doctors would be up in arms over the whole situation

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

blatman posted:

if all these common products / byproducts being pumped into the environment were actually sterilizing us you'd think condom manufacturers and vasectomy doctors would be up in arms over the whole situation

Luckily there are tons of stds still going around. Shame about the wiener doctors though.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

It will cost Trojan a lot of money once they have to reorient their production lines and processes to account for new restrictions on plastics and chemicals while also chasing the tapering sales that would come with that discovery so their optimal scenario would be profiting as much as possible as fast as they can until the damage is known.

In the meantime nobody in America can afford to go to the doctor to see if they are sterilized anyway so it just makes the condoms look more effective.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I kept waiting for the "But there's still time to prevent the bla bla bla..." part and it never came :stonklol:.

https://twitter.com/alex_goia/status/1465957238653304834?s=20

https://twitter.com/WillCDaly/status/1465911996621066241?s=20

https://twitter.com/NickMark16/status/1465932709495287812?s=20

So we're going to smoothly transition from climate change denial to imminent extinction denial.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

bowser posted:

I kept waiting for the "But there's still time to prevent the bla bla bla..." part and it never came :stonklol:.

https://twitter.com/alex_goia/status/1465957238653304834?s=20

https://twitter.com/WillCDaly/status/1465911996621066241?s=20

https://twitter.com/NickMark16/status/1465932709495287812?s=20

So we're going to smoothly transition from climate change denial to imminent extinction denial.

And from there to holy war against people that are different. Because God said.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Nature Abhors My Balls

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

petit choux posted:

And from there to holy war against people that are different. Because God said.

Ah, the Raised by Wolves timeline, then. Cool. :shepicide:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Near term human extinction being described as "polarizing" is an incredible chef's kiss.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

one of my favorite ways that capitalism is strangling us is with the discount rate.

"money now is better than money later" means that eventually "$1 now is better than $1 trillion far enough later"

so because of the discount rate the far future must be valued at $0 eventually.

so it is "more cost effective" to cause $100,000,000,000.00 in harms later if we get $5 now, because the discount rate means that *actually* the $5 now is worth more!

so why build fancy semiotics to stop future harm when economics says actually it will cause *more harm* to spend the money on it now.

each dollar spent now is a billion dollars we can't spend in a century!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Near term human extinction being described as "polarizing" is an incredible chef's kiss.

We have the two primary schools of thought, not within my lifetime, lol and probably not within my lifetime, lol lmao :smithicide:

I think there might be one I'm forgetting but who cares

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

We have the two primary schools of thought, not within my lifetime, lol and probably not within my lifetime, lol lmao :smithicide:

lol. lmao

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWQU9VRWdn4
I'm sure you're aware of this sort of place but just in case people are curious where their yummy animal products come from. This is in the UK. The sound alone, eeesh.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Chard posted:

walking into the poison store to buy juniper flavored poison; or, perhaps, the poison with brown sugar to go with the mint i've grown in plastic buckets: "sure am glad mushrooms are illegal to grow"

McCormick made me a libertarian.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Sadistic Hamster posted:

if arsenic trioxide is a marketable commodity with annual production of 50,000 tons why don’t they mine their own tailings to sell it off even at a loss? the permanently freeze it for eternity strategy seems like an immediate nonstarter that leaves the risk in place?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Basic Poster posted:

Wait they can make me grow boobs AND sterilize me? I was skeptical but, I'm listening...

call me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i admit we're privileged but i mostly stopped eating meat that i can't source locally, especially wrt to chicken and eggs with a guarantee that the latter are small flocks given pasture when it's not snowing. i'd rather eat fewer eggs than buy industrial eggs, it's awful.

i should work harder to do the same about cheese but i admit to being a weak man there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Sadistic Hamster posted:

the mine is in yellowknife