Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I like Prosperity to add colony/plat, but then yeah, the landscapes after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Landscapes are cool overall but a couple of them are bad. Fortunately, I can banscape the mountain pass. And Tax. Sometimes March.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 30, 2021

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Harold Fjord posted:

Landscapes are cool overall but a couple of them are bad. Fortunately, I can banscape the mountain pass. And Tax. Sometimes March.

Big Wall Fan Here

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Dominion Online ruined Dominion for me. Being able to play with every expansion and having automatic shuffling and VP scoring is such a wonderfully pleasant experience that hauling out my wooden case full of cards and playing a game over the board is kinda miserable.

I have Intrigue, Seaside, and Prosperity and never picked up the other expansions because it was so much easier to play online.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
You think that’s bad, I never even gave any of the latter Dominion sites a chance because I missed Isotropic too much

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Isotopic was too beautiful for this world.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Aggro posted:

hauling out my wooden case full of cards and playing a game over the board is kinda miserable.

I broke free of this by using a double sized deck box with base cards and sets of 15-20 kingdom cards we play a handful of times then rotate out. 2p only to keep it fast though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nrook posted:

You think that’s bad, I never even gave any of the latter Dominion sites a chance because I missed Isotropic too much

I never gave the later Dominion sites a chance because the first one stored user credit card details in a plain text file.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

That NPI video on getting rid of 150 games was my personal Saw movie scenario. Cause I know I have to do it soon.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

May you make better choices than they did.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There's a steam game now so that should be safe.

I too am addicted to the convenience of the website. Used to have a nice box where I just didn't bother keeping track of sets and mixed all the cards together that could be with some extra sleeves for the added rats and such, but it exploded. I started slowly giving away my extra sets to a couple that mostly just plays with each other.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I picked up Unfathomable and I'm really looking forward to hopefully immediately be a cultist or hybrid :evilbuddy:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Hot Diggity! posted:

I picked up Unfathomable and I'm really looking forward to hopefully immediately be a cultist or hybrid :evilbuddy:

In the starter game, everyone is a good guy for the first turn. Which I think is neat.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

So as it's getting closer to Christmas, I'm trying to find a game for my 8y.o. nephew. My thought is, he loves Among Us, and constantly tries to play it in real life. I know it's more or less based off of Werewolf/Mafia/et al, but I think those are probably themes a little too heavy for him right now. Is there anything out there like those kinds of games that are a little more cartoony and aimed at younger crowds that might catch his interest?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Disney just put out a villains themed Mafia/Werewolf game. Saw it at Walmart. Maybe worth a look?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Disney-Villains-the-Werewolves-of-Miller-s-Hollow/691840992

Sounds like it has an interesting twist on the formula:

quote:

As in the original The Werewolves of Miller’s Hollow, each team will be trying to figure out who is actually on their team and who might be lying about their allegiances. Every night will see each of the villains waking up and using their special abilities to help gather information. Whichever team manages to survive the longest with the most players left standing are named the winners.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Aniodia posted:

So as it's getting closer to Christmas, I'm trying to find a game for my 8y.o. nephew. My thought is, he loves Among Us, and constantly tries to play it in real life. I know it's more or less based off of Werewolf/Mafia/et al, but I think those are probably themes a little too heavy for him right now. Is there anything out there like those kinds of games that are a little more cartoony and aimed at younger crowds that might catch his interest?

Resistance / Avalon maybe ?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Golden Bee posted:

In the starter game, everyone is a good guy for the first turn. Which I think is neat.

Reminds me of something I read, fictional dialog between Adama and Tigh:
A: "One more jump and we're halfway to Kobol."
T:"And that's why we might be fracked. Our resource numbers are too high. What if you turn out to be a Cylon in the sleeper phase? Or me? Or for frack's sake -- both of us?"
A: "Right as always, Saul. Time to sacrifice a couple of civilian ships."

Missed my chance to play Unfathomable when I had to choose between it and BSG. I hadn't played BSG since the before times, chose it, and was not disappointed even with a skin-of-the-teeth loss on the last turn minus one.

So how does Unfathomable compare to "base" BSG? BSG with the "right" expansion components? Is there a good breakdown somewhere?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Aggro posted:

Dominion Online ruined Dominion for me. Being able to play with every expansion and having automatic shuffling and VP scoring is such a wonderfully pleasant experience that hauling out my wooden case full of cards and playing a game over the board is kinda miserable.

I have Intrigue, Seaside, and Prosperity and never picked up the other expansions because it was so much easier to play online.

I'm a beta tester for the app (had to pay, don't remember how I found out about the beta test but I'm good friends with PM of Rio Grande so maybe he sent me a link?) and the app totally replaces the website for me. Good app, biggest issue for me is that while you can specify a card to be included, you can't (so far, it's still in testing) specify a card not to be included. I happen to hate Militia so I never play games with it, and I wish there was a way to permanently exclude it.

I haven't played much with the expansions because it's unclear to me how to exactly play with them, being that I haven't played them in 5+ years. There's no rules that I can see with the app, but hopefully they'll add that before going live.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah the beta has been pretty promising. Still not as good as iso, but best since.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
How does the Dominion app multiplayer work with the expansions? Does everyone need them, or just one person?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The landscape cards are great. Events, projects, and Landmarks all change the way the game is played, sometimes quite a bit. I also think the Exile mechanic is really clever, since it can be offensive (e.g. Cardinal) or defensive (e.g. Bounty Hunter).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is there still a board games buying/selling/trading thread? I can't find it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
We now distribute boardgames according to people's needs.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Barono posted:

How does the Dominion app multiplayer work with the expansions? Does everyone need them, or just one person?

I haven't heard anything about that.

keldon
May 14, 2009

Barono posted:

Whatever expansions the host owns are available to anyone who joins. The other players don't need to own them.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Golden Bee posted:

We've been keeping this rule for all of our games so far because the humans still haven't won a game (4 games down I think).

As much as I find the theme way less appealing and the lack of artwork much less compelling, I think I'm enjoying the game mechanics more than BSG. It's hard to be sure because it's been so long since I played BSG and we pretty much played it to death, plus played it in so many different iterations with or without the various expansions mechanics so difficult to compare.

Overall though, Unfathomable feels like a much cleaner, tighter and more varied experience out of the box. The one thing that does feel like a very clear improvement to me is that it consistently feels like you have *way* more good options of things to do on your turn as a human. Changing move+act to act+act, as well as many characters having a once-per-turn action ability and once-per-turn item abilities, plus a really good range of useful actions on skill cards means that I often feel far more torn between how best to play my turn compared to BSG where on many occasions it felt like there was an obvious 'optimal' play.

The separation of the travel track from the ritual track is also a good change - the ritual track wipes all monsters in exterior spaces off the board as well as killing passengers (civilian ships), and the travel track functions much as before. This means there are frequently important pacing questions about when to move which track - sometimes pushing the ritual track before a bunch of deep ones get inside the ship makes a lot of sense, other times you just want to push forward to the next destination as fast as possible while the board is clear - and there are separate board spaces that let you manipulate these tracks directly with some risk.

I'd be hard pressed to think of any change that I *don't* like apart from the aforementioned theme/art. Perhaps it would be the fact that it feels like there is no real way as humans to deal in any permanent way with a revealed traitor - they can basically just keep running around the ship causing havoc, and it's fairly easy for them to get out of the brig + there's no airlock equivalent, but as much as this feels frustrating I can also see that it's built into the balance of the game and I think much of the frustration comes from the fact that this is simply different from BSG.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://loteries.lotoquebec.com/en/lotteries/azul

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Has anyone played Cascadia and does it compare to Habitats (or Nova Luna)? It seems to have some same elements beside the theme.

My partner loves Habitats and I was wondering if Cascadia is also worth trying/owning (it looks oh so pretty...) or are they different beasts altogether?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Picked up a cheap copy of Feast for Odin, do i just get the expansion straight away for this one?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

xiw posted:

Picked up a cheap copy of Feast for Odin, do i just get the expansion straight away for this one?

Yeah, the game is just better with the expansion and all the new parts integrate very nicely. More viable strategies and not really that many more rules.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Selecta84 posted:

Yeah, the game is just better with the expansion and all the new parts integrate very nicely. More viable strategies and not really that many more rules.

It's not one of those cases where the game needs the expansion, though. It just isn't quite the same game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Norwegians rules.

Get it.

Speaking of AFfO expansions. re: wtf is happening with Danes

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
aFfO is a great game without the expansion. You definitely don't need it because the base game is so solid and doesn't need to be fixed. On the other hand however, now that I have the expansion I would never play without it because it just adds to the game in pretty much every way. You can definitely play the base game first to see if it clicks with you before you commit to the expansion.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Jedit posted:

It's not one of those cases where the game needs the expansion, though. It just isn't quite the same game.

Yeah, sure. But I would never play without the expansion again.

But yeah, great game either way.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I've never played the base game.

All you nerds said "Buy Norwegians"

So I did.

And it's amazing.

:siren: AFFO + Norwegians = Best Combo :siren:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

But is bga going to have the expansion when it finally gets through alpha and beta

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

girl dick energy posted:

Is there still a board games buying/selling/trading thread? I can't find it.

No, over the years it was never active enough to sustain itself. I think people tried using the deals thread for a bit, but that got nixed. Probably best to just make a new thread and post a link to places

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Extended family Christmas party at my place this weekend for the first time in 2 goddamn years

Which means it's also time for a Crokinole tournament :getin:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

silvergoose posted:

But is bga going to have the expansion when it finally gets through alpha and beta

By the time they do it the next one or two will be out and we'll be calling them essential :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FulsomFrank posted:

By the time they do it the next one or two will be out and we'll be calling them essential :(

Danes is forever away.