Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Stink Billyums posted:

did you know korea invented food?

drat I’ve been doing cultural appropriation three times a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Korean food is awesome but the sweet garlic bread can gently caress off.

First time I threw Korean bread in the toaster I wondered why I could smell burning sugar. Finding a bakery that didn't sweeten the bread was always a priority when moving.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes. Accidentally biting into a chunk of razor sharp ribcage and spine that looked like any other bit of meat at a fried chicken place is a rite of passage.

The scariest choking incident in my life was a chicken bone shard in some soup at a restaurant in Daejon. It felt like there was a razor blade in my throat and every time I coughed I expected it to cause a puncture.

Also Gamjatang is (IMO) the best Korean food.

With Korean BBQ (Fried) chicken coming in second.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Yeah gamjatang rules, loved sucking big ol chunks of stewed pork neck meat off the bone. Got props from the native old rear end dudes for going to town and cleaning those vertebrae dry of tender meat

Pretty sure I was slurping out the spinal cord and poo poo in all those drunken stupors which probably isn’t healthy

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I'm all about kongguksu (cold noodles in soymilk but not like sweet soymilk, with sea-salt on it) and I have not been able to find an adequate replacement outside of Korea.

I'm sure someone can say "oh that's just a copy of this Japanese soup they make in hokkaido" or whatever but, I dunno I just know I'm really into kongguksu.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I like soondae guk and last time I was there the old village ladies were stewing thick thick slices of pork belly over a wooden fire then giving them to me with old kimchi and a shot of soju, that was pretty tasty with the acid in the kimchi working with the juicy fatty pork. But korean food every day wears thin pretty quick.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I could eat it for literally every meal happily, but I haven't had a Korean meal I didn't make myself in years. Even the kimchi here is off; it all tastes like tomato.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Korean food is awesome but the sweet garlic bread can gently caress off.

This a 1000 times. And all the other sweetened bread for that matter.

Spicy jokbal is usually the first thing wife and I go for upon arrival in Korea, even before taking our luggage to the apartment. Spicy, garlic-y, fatty goodness.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
God food chat is making me hungry

I live near Annandale in Virginia, which if you don't know is a Korean food mecca. I need to get back there because they have so much good poo poo it's unbelievable

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Is corn on nearly every god-damned pizza a uniquely Korean thing?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

StevoMcQueen posted:

This a 1000 times. And all the other sweetened bread for that matter.

Spicy jokbal is usually the first thing wife and I go for upon arrival in Korea, even before taking our luggage to the apartment. Spicy, garlic-y, fatty goodness.

It's not even remotely Asia related but I had a great-aunt who would make this lightly sweetened sourdough from some old Dutch kept-in-the-family-since--before-the-Mayflower recipe that really worked. I'd never completely write off 'sweetened bread' as universally bad.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Nah that one seems to pop up independently all over the world. I know some places in the Baltics and South America do it too.

Didn't Mestre d Pizza have corn?

Edit:Also my experience with Korean food is limited but I like tteokbokki.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

5er posted:

It's not even remotely Asia related but I had a great-aunt who would make this lightly sweetened sourdough from some old Dutch kept-in-the-family-since--before-the-Mayflower recipe that really worked. I'd never completely write off 'sweetened bread' as universally bad.

Oh no, don't get wrong, sweetened bread has a place. And that place is the trash!

Jokes aside, I'm fine with sweetened bread as an option, sometimes it can even be preferable depending on what you're making (pb + blueberry or cherry jam on a cinnamon bagel or fruit loaf is top tier imo).

But when what you want is a nice savoury whole grain loaf, no amount of sweetened bread is gonna do the trick.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

5er posted:

Suikerbrood is also loving excellent

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cugel the Clever posted:

Korea invented it 10,000 years ago because Korea invented everything, but no, the corn also happens in Japan and China.

I assume it started in Japan then spread to Korea and then China. That's usually the progression for this stuff.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Korean invented spicy peppers and exported them around the world. If you eat spicy food, or enjoy 4 seasons you can thank korea.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Korea invented banana milk, though.

I don't even like bananas and I think that poo poo rules.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they do funky poo poo to reduce lactose levels cuz 99% of koreans are lactose intolerant so that may be it

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
why does korea sweeten frenchfries is a better question.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Well, someone's not afraid to tell the CCP to go gently caress itself.

https://twitter.com/WTA/status/1466123626701275140

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
next step would be shovin em in taiwan

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

But we're holding the tournament in China see right here in provincial capital Taipei what are you complaining about Xi :troll:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

why does korea sweeten frenchfries is a better question.

You can just replace french fries with X in that sentence.

Everyone's favorite game when trying something new in Korea is "Is it sweet?" and the answer is always yes.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

There is pizza corn in Taiwan, along with an absolutely terrible boba pizza that pizza hut does.

I also saw this in a supermarket a couple weeks ago and posted it in PYF bad food.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

AHH F/UGH posted:

Is there a single food that Koreans didn't steal from another country

Yes the wine they make with children's faeces.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

GoutPatrol posted:

There is pizza corn in Taiwan, along with an absolutely terrible boba pizza that pizza hut does.

I also saw this in a supermarket a couple weeks ago and posted it in PYF bad food.

the little curlicue arrow points to an abomination: "Mexican Salsa Sauce"

6.2% shrimp content!

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Grand Fromage posted:

Everyone's favorite game when trying something new in Korea is "Is it sweet?" and the answer is always yes.

Isn't this in response to the govt limiting salt content in food? It's like the low fat craze of the 90s. Replace ingredient Y with sugar

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

my mother just wrote a 10 paragraph essay informing me i'm gay

am i actually gay? no, lol

this is a new level of insane korean mother i just reached, i think

lol

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea invented it 10,000 years ago because Korea invented everything, but no, the corn also happens in Japan and China.

I assume it started in Japan then spread to Korea and then China. That's usually the progression for this stuff.

Corn on pizza is a thing around the entire globe, except appearantly for some reason in the US, which pretends like it's a weird thing even though they eat corned corn in corn sauce on their corn bread with some corn sausage on the side.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tastes bad man

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Jeoh posted:

Suikerbrood is also loving excellent

Cinnamon and sugar... oh my word sold.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the little curlicue arrow points to an abomination: "Mexican Salsa Sauce"

6.2% shrimp content!

lol burn it all down

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The Korean pizza thing I remember being surprised by was potato wedges. As in each pizza would have the wedges radiating out from the centre, so that one would be on each slice.

Tasty, but it seemed weird at the time.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

GoutPatrol posted:

I like that the Korean on this is just "Chicago Real Shrimp Pizza", but it's in English transliterated into Korean, not the Korean words for those things (except for Chicago). Same thing with the description of the sauce, which as pointed out above reads "Mexican Salsa Sauce".

AHH F/UGH posted:

best food I ate in Korea in three years of living there was the late night teriyaki spam hot dog, and maybe gamjatang

tteokbokki is way overrated though.

It is. It's like tofu for me: get it hot and it's OK for a few bites but as soon as it cools even a little bit it's just not worth eating.

Best Korean food was fire chicken, which was kind of hard to find and the one restaurant I knew that served it in my town went out of a business a few months after I moved there. I'm guessing with the spicy noodle craze it's seen a resurgence.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Grand Fromage posted:

Worst thing I ate in Korea was a French fry encrusted corn dog that was dusted with sugar

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Worst thing I ate in Korea was a French fry encrusted corn dog that was dusted with sugar

Those things are gross as hell. Always funny when I see people drooling over a pic of them, or people who haven't been to Korea talking about the videos and that Korea looks like it has the best street food in the world. If only you poor fools knew.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Strategic Tea posted:

But we're holding the tournament in China see right here in provincial capital Taipei what are you complaining about Xi :troll:

:perfect:

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Grand Fromage posted:

Those things are gross as hell. Always funny when I see people drooling over a pic of them, or people who haven't been to Korea talking about the videos and that Korea looks like it has the best street food in the world. If only you poor fools knew.

korea's main food groups are gochujang and instagram

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SerCypher posted:

Well, someone's not afraid to tell the CCP to go gently caress itself.

https://twitter.com/WTA/status/1466123626701275140

I didn't expect them to show this much spine

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Grand Fromage posted:

poop and diarrhea themed restaurant.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
louis cheese spaghetti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

BrigadierSensible posted:

The Korean pizza thing I remember being surprised by was potato wedges. As in each pizza would have the wedges radiating out from the centre, so that one would be on each slice.

Tasty, but it seemed weird at the time.

Mr Wedge is pretty popular in NZ.