Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Boxing glove arrows are a lot more fun to see than boxing glove bullets too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would appreciate Hawkeye’s impossible USB Hacker Virus arrows more if he fired one and it just fails because he shot it upside down and then fired the second one correctly afterwards

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bust Rodd posted:

I would appreciate Hawkeye’s impossible USB Hacker Virus arrows more if he fired one and it just fails because he shot it upside down and then fired the second one correctly afterwards

Maybe he's upgraded them to USB-C?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Bust Rodd posted:

Better yet, fires one, it doesn't go in. Flips it around, fires again, same result. Flips it back to its original orientation and it goes in just fine.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yes, exactly that, but doing it at Legolas speed

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I'm hoping we get some into Hawkeye's mindset and actions as Ronin. I mean, based on what I saw, him being Ronin wasn't about making the world a better place (by removing its worst elements) or even punishing criminals. Hawkeye went on a five-year long mass-murder spree to "correct" Thanos's mistake of dusting people like his wife and children (and friends) instead of removing criminals, slimeballs and possibly just selfish assholes.

I want to see Clint come to grips with that. As is we have Clint going from Archery Dad to psychotic mass murderer and than back to Archery Dad. It is kind of interesting that Clint's wife is at least somewhat okay with what he did as Ronin. Either that or she's just not fully aware of it depending on how much Clint got into it. "I made some enemies in the criminal underworld during the SNAP" comes off a little better than "I went on a five year long slaughter spree killing anyone I thought Thanos should have killed instead of who he did kill."

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Something tells me the Disney television show set around Christmas time isn't going to focus on mass murder though.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kazil posted:

Something tells me the Disney television show set around Christmas time isn't going to focus on mass murder though.

I don't want it to focus on the mass murder, per se, but I'd to explore Clint's headspace about his time as Ronin, maybe in terms of the idea that that time is why he doesn't want to see himself as someone providing inspiration to others - because he doesn't want to inspire them to do the stuff he did.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

New episode is up! Trick arrows! Car chases! Bonding! We still have no idea what’s up with Kate’s mom!

Sir Dog Of Pizza

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
As a Deaf/HoH guy I gotta say the sign language and hearing aid poo poo is absolutely spot on and I wonder how many people actually realize Hawkeye isn’t hearing most of the dialogue talked to him, it’s a pure joy to see and much better than Eternals which frankly was doing Lauren Ridloff a disservice.

Only gripe but that’s probably so people actually notice he has a hearing aid: his hearing aid is too far out, that’s not how it works.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Everyone posted:

Bullets are boring. That's actually literally why Hawkeye doesn't use guns - because they make it too damned easy. With bows, it's more of a challenge.

quote:

Uh, for me, my aha moment came with a hostage situation at Kroger. Multiple shooters. I showed up, I'm letting arrows fly, my aim is perfect. But... there's only so many arrows a quiver can hold. I just ran out. And then, we lost a lot of good people that day. Then you start to question like, f***ing arrows against TEC-9s? But I came to see that archery isn't irrelevant, it's timeless. It's a pure and ancient art. Carol helped me see that.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Zwille posted:

As a Deaf/HoH guy I gotta say the sign language and hearing aid poo poo is absolutely spot on and I wonder how many people actually realize Hawkeye isn’t hearing most of the dialogue talked to him, it’s a pure joy to see and much better than Eternals which frankly was doing Lauren Ridloff a disservice.

Only gripe but that’s probably so people actually notice he has a hearing aid: his hearing aid is too far out, that’s not how it works.

Figure that's the show's way of saying "HAWKEYE HAS A HEARING AID!"

Also, criminals are people, too. Poor Maya.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Everyone posted:

Figure that's the show's way of saying "HAWKEYE HAS A HEARING AID!"

Ep3:
Echo immediately spotting his hearing aid was such a Deaf/HoH thing too, even the “you deaf?” reaction. Just flawless.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Zwille posted:

Ep3:
Echo immediately spotting his hearing aid was such a Deaf/HoH thing too, even the “you deaf?” reaction. Just flawless.

Was her disdain for the fact that he used a hearing aid something that comes out of Deaf culture? Like she was annoyed that he didn't just own being deaf?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This episode was better than the first two. Also, Maya Lopez kinda rules. The flying jump where both legs were aiming for Clint's crotch looked awesome. I guess it's no surprise that they gave her a spin-off before anyone even saw her in action.
It's great that an indigenous deaf amputee gets acting roles. That sounds like a tough combination.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Everyone posted:

Was her disdain for the fact that he used a hearing aid something that comes out of Deaf culture? Like she was annoyed that he didn't just own being deaf?

HoH/deaf culture stuff, idk if it’s even worth spoilering, better safe than sorry I guess:
Yeah a lot of deaf people are pretty anti cochlear implants/hearing aids but that’s changed recently. More and more deaf people start to accept that there’s no black and white solution for everything.

I think it’s actually more of a disdain towards hard of hearing people not learning sign language properly and immersing in deaf culture which is pretty wide spread and also leads to situations where hoh people act like dicks and as if they’re better than deaf people. Hawkeye is nothing like that, he’s just a grumpy old man, actually an older hoh friend of mine is just exactly like Hawkeye, it’s :3: - needless to say I greatly enjoyed this episode.

That said I wonder how/if they’ll handle the subject of cochlea implants, on one hand Clint would be a perfect candidate barring medical issues, but on the other hand cochlea implants don’t take kindly to getting hit in the head and fall off easier than hearing aids.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

cant cook creole bream posted:

This episode was better than the first two. Also, Maya Lopez kinda rules. The flying jump where both legs were aiming for Clint's crotch looked awesome. I guess it's no surprise that they gave her a spin-off before anyone even saw her in action.
It's great that an indigenous deaf amputee gets acting roles. That sounds like a tough combination.

When I first heard about the casting, I went to a cynical "way to check off the minority boxes, Disney/Marvel" place but gently caress that. Alaqua Cox kicks major rear end in this role and consider me signed up to watch her the spin-off based around her. I will say fingers and toes crossed she doesn't go down the Letitia Wright/Gina Carano road. It seems highly unlikely, but still I'm just hoping she's as cool in real life as she seems to be on the screen.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Huh, that episode was pretty much flawless. Great action, bro, an interesting and sympathetic villain, a happy dog, bro,

Oh, and during the flashback (potential spoiler for upcoming stuff)that hand touching Maya's cheek, that's the goddamn Kingpin. Back in Daredevil he only ever wore black suits until Vanessa told him he looks better in white.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm a sucker for a good crime-majordomo, and I really like evil-jon snow's relationship with Maya. Yeah, she's still the boss, but she seems to trust him and he's not afraid to argue back.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Anyone else got a bead on this Amy Pascal announcing a second Holland trilogy? Seemed like a bad rumor but huge publications like Hollywood Insider and Variety are running that story so it seems true? We could get 3 more Tom Holland Spider-Mans!!! Oh boy oh boy!!!!!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I like Holland as Spider-Man, Sony like him as Spider-Man, marvel, audiences etc all like him as Spider-Man and it's not like the Uncharted movie is going to launch a franchise so there's no reason not to back a money truck up to his house for more movies.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That was definitely the best episode yet. The scene where Clint can't hear the phone call with his son was really effective.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I didn't give the tiniest poo poo about MCU Hawkeye before this show but his hearing loss is being dealt with really well. My deaf friends are loving it too - especially Echo criticizing Clint's reliance on a hearing aid.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The conversation with young Maya and her father was absolutely about making sense of Netflix Marvel as part of the MCU.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Would someone be able to explain the etiquette of talking whilst signing for me? I assume part of it's to provide lip-reading along with the signs? But there are also moments when someone signing will much more vocalise a couple of sounds, almost like they're doing it for emphasis.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
So that was absolutely Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin aka Uncle right? I figured we wouldn't see him until the last episode after No Way Home revealed Matt Murdock

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

After watching the Cowboy Bebop live action remake, I really, really appreciate the fight coordination in this.

That said, the CGI of the trick arrows was pretty bad.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I am so hype for Vincent D'Onoforio in the MCU proper

Also Feige please rescue Krysten Ritter

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

kazil posted:

That said, the CGI of the trick arrows was pretty bad.

The whole car chase sequence looked like it needed another CGI pass. Good enough for TV I guess.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

The whole car chase sequence looked like it needed another CGI pass. Good enough for TV I guess.

the one shot (or maybe "one shot" in quotes with some hidden cuts) spinning backseat camera was fun imo

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That scene with Clint and his kid really got to me. About three years ago now I lost all hearing on my left side due to an infection that caused nerve damage and have extreme tinnitus 24/7 to the point that sometimes I can't even hear myself talking let alone anyone else. I've been learning signing because I know I'm going to need it eventually. I frequently have problem with talking on the phone and have many times had to ask if they could text instead so that hit a little close to home for me.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
It is sometimes comical just how far outclassed these tracksuit guys are compared to Elite SHIELD agent who has fought multiple alien armies, Ultron Drones, etc.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Love that Kate sketched out the classic Don Heck costume for Hawkeye and MCU Clint is like “no way.”

I was never much sold on Renner’s abilities as an actor before this. The conversation with his kid shows that they’ve always been there, but the scripts were not.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I like that this episode really frames this whole situation as 100% Clint’s fault and he’s as much the villain in all this as anyone so far.

I also like this inversion of the normal Marvel tropes where instead of Clint fighting a villain with his powers he’s fighting a villain with the same hearing loss but she is obviously not deterred by it. That’s an interesting spin.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This episode made me really look forward to whenever Clint has to tell Kate he was Ronin. They'll get some good drama out of that for sure.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
There's something unintentionally funny about Kate poo poo-talking Imagine Dragons a couple of weeks after Hailee Steinfeld starred in a show that featured Imagine Dragons prominently

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Would someone be able to explain the etiquette of talking whilst signing for me? I assume part of it's to provide lip-reading along with the signs? But there are also moments when someone signing will much more vocalise a couple of sounds, almost like they're doing it for emphasis.

Generally if you know a signed language and deaf people are around it's expected to at least sign. Like if you're a hearing coworker taking a phone call if a deaf colleague is present, it's expected that you sign along as you talk, which isn't all that widespread but considered best practice.

When it's just sign language it's usually rather quiet (except for sounds like smacking of lips, also some deaf/hoh people produce some sound even while signing amongst deaf peers, which is usually involuntary). For the series I feel like it's part for the benefit of the viewer (they're very deliberate about what you as a viewer hear and what you don't!) and partially because apparently most of the henchmen aren't fluent. That would be typical, yeah. Like when my hearing friends sign to me and other hearing people who don't sign are around, they usually vocalize along as much as possible (which can sound weird because the grammar is completely different).

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Clint's retired from SHIELD, right? How is he gonna explain the giant arrow in the middle of a New York bridge?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SHIELD doesn't exist anymore, so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Really great episode. The phone call scene in particular was perfect.

The only thing that stood out as odd to me is that we didn't start hearing things from Clint's perspective until after the fight and chase scenes were over. Hearing his fight with Maya from his perspective would've really emphasised the difference losing the hearing aid made to him - it felt like it could have been a really interesting fight scene. Maybe that's just me though.