Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Macaluso posted:

That girl gets it bad for Caitlyn right that second. Look at that face change.

Also this is one of my favorite shots of Jinx in the show. Powder is almost completely gone by this point. The way her face looks and the little head tilt she gives is so good.

I listened to the, "Are we still sisters part" probably 6-7 times I wonder how many takes it took. It really comes off unnatural and eerie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
The really tragic thing is that at no point do either Jinx or Vi repudiate each other, either.

Jinx basically says "this is who I'm going to be." She does not renounce Vi, at all, she just says she can't be her idealized kid sister Powder anymore, and that when push comes to shove, she chooses violence against her oppressors rather than trusting to reconciliation.

It'll be an interesting question to what degree that will influence their relationship or the resolution thereof.

As for Viktor and Jayce, I can see them having a falling out, but it doesn't feel right, right now. I kinda suspect they'll be going with a closer relationship between them than in League-canon proper.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 1, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jetrauben posted:

As for Viktor and Jayce, I can see them having a falling out, but it doesn't feel right, right now. I kinda suspect they'll be going with a closer relationship between them than in League-canon proper.

I imagine Jinx's attack is gonna make Jayce change his mind about handling Zaun peacefully, and Viktor isn't gonna go for that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mnoba posted:

I listened to the, "Are we still sisters part" probably 6-7 times I wonder how many takes it took. It really comes off unnatural and eerie.

Ella and Hailee both put in truly knockout performances throughout the latter 2/3rds of the season. For my money, my favorite bit of voice acting is still Vi telling Cait her story about the monsters. Vi's essential characterization never breaks - there's no quavering or stuttering or anguished sobs - but Hailee finds a way to make each sentence sound even more deeply painful and raw than the last. Putting in a moment of sheer vulnerability like that is a drat hard act to pull off for a character that's as full of blood and fury as Vi usually is, but it's a completely effortless transition.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I imagine Jinx's attack is gonna make Jayce change his mind about handling Zaun peacefully, and Viktor isn't gonna go for that.

Well, that and Victor's possibly gonna suck up the energy / dead councillors like a vampire sponge, which could lead to problems.

Vi and Cait aren't gonna see eye to eye either, not after Jinx killed Cait's mother (deliberately?)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Shortest Path posted:

This scene or any of the others with Vi and Cait interacting, or any of the solo Jinx scenes where she's talking to herself, are great examples of it.

https://twitter.com/Kaosi1/status/1465309074082435082?t=FqvADsKQ5KJNwCxX3HYpvg&s=19

The mental calculation is amazing.

-This whole situation sucks. I want my sister back.
-What's that?
-Wait. I told her to pick. And she picks...
-Well don't that beat all.
-Wait. I think she's hot and if she's into... oh. Oh. My.

What makes it amazing is the script direction was just something like "Vi sees Cait, raises eyebrow, intrigued."

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 1, 2021

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Vi and Cait aren't gonna see eye to eye either, not after Jinx killed Cait's mother (deliberately?)

I don't think it was deliberate in the sense of Mrs. Kiramman being specifically targeted. Jinx's essential problem with Caitlyn all the time before was that she was worried about her "stealing" Vi forever, but their final bit of interaction makes it clear that Jinx has accepted that both her and her sister have become different people with different convictions; she has no more reason to hate Caitlyn (beyond the obvious element of "she's an Enforcer"), because the version of her sister she was worried about leaving is already gone forever. Having Silco's words echo at the end helps to emphasize she's firing the rocket as a matter of her political convictions, and not as a way to torment Caitlyn further.

I mentioned it before, but I think their fundamental disagreement - and the next obvious point of growth in their relationship - is Caitlyn having to come to terms with the fact that mercy and kindness have their prices to pay, and Vi trying to shoulder the blame for having told Cait not to fire. Caitlyn has room to grow in learning to deal with personal tragedy and taking responsibility for her choices, and Vi has room to grow in dropping her martyr complex and learning to give the people she loves genuine agency instead of trying to "protect" them from themselves.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 1, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Been going through Arcane's score for each act on Spotify and it's so loving good.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

teagone posted:

Been going through Arcane's score for each act on Spotify and it's so loving good.

Snakes has pretty rapidly become my go-to track when I need to get pumped for something.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vermain posted:

Snakes has pretty rapidly become my go-to track when I need to get pumped for something.

Haven't made my way down to the soundtrack just yet, but I'll keep that track in mind. The score's for each act are really good. Anyone with even a passing interest in film scores who enjoyed the show will probably also enjoy the music too. I'm not sure how else to describe the experience, but it's always fascinating for me listening to recognizable cues without the visual context.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 1, 2021

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
she doesn't pull it off at all in the hawkeye show that just came out on disney+

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mnoba posted:

she doesn't pull it off at all in the hawkeye show that just came out on disney+

That's the MCU/Marvel Studios' fault, not Hailee's.

[edit]

Vermain posted:

Yeah, this track is fire. Suits the fight so well.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 1, 2021

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's start a new challenge in 2022 where Dota fans just shut the gently caress up about Dota in any context that involves League of Legends.

Won't make it halfway through the first week of January but at least those few days would be nice. Hideo Kojima posted about Arcane and how much he loved it and the first comment I see is some loving Valve can do no wrong fanboy just crying about "why did you give the LoL show a chance you should watch Dota's show" lmao

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Personal_Nirvana posted:

So Grace Randholp says she managed to contact some Fortiche people and, according to them, S2 is "very, very far away. 2024 at most".

Goddam I still hope for a 2023 window

You know what? 2024 is fine. It'll be an election year, we'll need something good.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Asema posted:

Let's start a new challenge in 2022 where Dota fans just shut the gently caress up

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Asema posted:

Let's start a new challenge in 2022 where Dota fans just shut the gently caress up

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mnoba posted:

There's only 2 episodes out yet. I am somewhat confident that they can pull this around. So far Steinfeld is definitely the highlight of the show.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I heard someone say DOTA and came running as fast as i can

let me tell you about my favorite venomancer builds

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
How is Dota doing these days

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

But actually on topic:

Shows good. But it has one major flaw in the fact giving an entire well written show to a handful of this universe characters suddenly turns every other character a million times shallower by just raw comparison.

I hope they make more shows set around the LoL world. I need my Fiddlesticks horror movie.

edit: Man, it's actually really weird, in a good way, hearing people talk about these characters on a whole different level compared to all the years of knowing them as just slightly more than a pile of stats abilities and aesthetics.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 1, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Asema posted:

Won't make it halfway through the first week of January but at least those few days would be nice. Hideo Kojima posted about Arcane and how much he loved it and the first comment I see is some loving Valve can do no wrong fanboy just crying about "why did you give the LoL show a chance you should watch Dota's show" lmao

Yeah, I tried that. Let's just say DOTA's show didn't work out. It's kind of the inverse of Arcane with very shallow characters and I'm not sure if I missed the explanations going on or they just assumed I knew more about the franchise than I did.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
As a disabled crazy person into fringe radical politics, I enthusiastically enjoyed the depictions of every single Zaunite character because they were almost completely and irrefutably correct. Bless.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
silco was a drug lord and repeatedly threatened children but he also wanted to eat the rich and loved his daughter so it's impossible to say if he was good or bad

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

He did kick the little junkie to death who according to this thread also did nothing wrong, so we're at a bit of an impasse.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
he knocked over that girl's tower

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Monicro posted:

he knocked over that girl's tower

A lesson about capitalism

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

cant cook creole bream posted:

There's only 2 episodes out yet. I am somewhat confident that they can pull this around. So far Steinfeld is definitely the highlight of the show.

Case in point, episode 3 was really great.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

1stGear posted:

silco was a drug lord and repeatedly threatened children but he also wanted to eat the rich and loved his daughter so it's impossible to say if he was good or bad

SiLcO wAs A gOoD dAd

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
The real question is if Vander was a good dad. On the plus side he gave his kids free drinks, but on the other hand he let the smallest one build nail bombs. On the other, other hand those nail bombs were to be used against cops, so I guess it's all good afterall.

My conclusion: Vander was good dad.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Vulin posted:

The real question is if Vander was a good dad. On the plus side he gave his kids free drinks, but on the other hand he let the smallest one build nail bombs. On the other, other hand those nail bombs were to be used against cops, so I guess it's all good afterall.

My conclusion: Vander was good dad.

Vander was willing to accept a negative peace that was the absence of tension instead of work for a positive peace that was the presence of justice. Counter-revolutionary, gulag. *bangs gavel*

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

1stGear posted:

Vander was willing to accept a negative peace that was the absence of tension instead of work for a positive peace that was the presence of justice. Counter-revolutionary, gulag. *bangs gavel*

Incredibly damning to call Vander a liberal but ultimately the correct thing to say.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

1stGear posted:

Now you're getting it!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

1stGear posted:

I mean he's explicitly unambiguously a counter revolutionary in the text, this is not some hottake it's just a description of what happens in the show.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
The only character who really believed in eat the rich was Vi.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DekeThornton posted:

:eyepop:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DekeThornton posted:

Unless the rich person was a hot cop

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dexo posted:

Unless the rich person was a hot cop

Take another minute and read the post and your post again.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah I noticed it after posting, I'm leaving it up in shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

DekeThornton posted: