Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

The Wall is a slog for me and the band didn't have a great time making it either.

Roger Waters was a big part of what make Pink Floyd more than a generic jam band, but he doesn't sound like an easy person to work with. It seems like a typical rock band story of one guy/girl stepping up to make decisions and provide leadership while the other members become increasingly passive-aggressive until the whole situation is completely untenable.

I haven't tried listening to the Final Cut. A friend of mine claims its their best album, but the one single I heard was pretty dreary.

The Final Cut is the inner-resentment from The Wall turned outwards towards politicians and the neo-aristocracy

it's not an uplifting listen by any means but it's a very truthful and vulnerable one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Lib and let die posted:

*quickly checking around the room for the nearest egress point*

I uh...I like the division bells

Are you a guitar player? Every person I know who says this is a guitar player.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

Are you a guitar player? Every person I know who says this is a guitar player.

Bass. Used to be at least.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Roger Waters is good and has put out some really good stuff but from what I understand is one of the biggest pricks in rock, which is really saying something all things considered

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Big fan of Mark Knopfler here, too. I think I'm terminally dadbrained

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

Roger Waters is good and has put out some really good stuff but from what I understand is one of the biggest pricks in rock, which is really saying something all things considered

To be fair, a lot of that reputation comes from Gilmour who is also labeled as a prick as part of that blood feud. I've never really seen anything from folks either have collaborated with saying they're monstrous to work with or anything

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

Tunnel of Love is the best song about gambling addiction that also features the introduction of a guitar solo with "Check It Out!"

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

To be fair, a lot of that reputation comes from Gilmour who is also labeled as a prick as part of that blood feud. I've never really seen anything from folks either have collaborated with saying they're monstrous to work with or anything

No offense to Lib and let die, but I find the post-Waters stuff to be pleasant, but kind of generic. It's childish to expect a band that has lasted that long not to go into bank statement mode, but taking Waters out took out a lot of the edge that I enjoyed in their 70s stuff.

Then again, I'm a weirdo who likes Animals the best.

Lib and let die posted:

I see a future where you have an untouched cherry red American-made Stratocaster on your wall that you show off to your kids' friends.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

No offense to Lib and let die, but I find the post-Waters stuff to be pleasant, but kind of generic. It's childish to expect a band that has lasted that long not to go into bank statement mode, but taking Waters out took out a lot of the edge that I enjoyed in their 70s stuff.

I see a future where you have an untouched cherry red American-made Stratocaster on your wall that you show off to your kids' friends.

Untouched black Yamaha acoustic sitting in a gig bag right behind me. One of these days, after I unpack all my father issues, I'll get around to playing the guitar he bought me.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

There's nothing wrong with liking Animals best. It's hard to deny when you take it as a whole that it's really the album where the whole band is operating at their peak and everyone gets their moments to shine. It's their most cohesive work

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1465734906072469509?s=20

I don't have high hopes for this, the source material wasn't great. Although the Limetown TV show was better than the podcast, so who knows.

I hope it succeeds though so we get a season two. The premise of that one is a bunch of Amazon employees on mission to see if Lovecraft's Dreamlands are fit for colonization and exploitation.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Serf posted:

i really liked that scene. because, yeah, that's what a bunch of aristocratic assholes would think about democracy. it would sound insane to them. it is the bourgeoisie who ushered in the idea of liberal democracy, not the hereditary nobles. of course the bourgeoisie ended up being no different from them and were often drawn from the same bloodlines, but nevertheless they're the ones who come along and smash the old system. and even then, the democracy they instituted was for their class alone and the franchise was only extended to stave off social unrest. samwell was proposing a modern style of democracy and the people he was talking to were absolutely not ready for it nor would they profit from it.

i mean i get it, but the anachronism was silly. sam may as well have pitched the idea for facebook. iunno maybe lots of scribes were laughed at for suggesting the same thing a thousand years ago

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Yadoppsi posted:

Ocarina of Time.

she doesnt do it at night she doesnt fight monsters too strong for link and she doesnt manipulate link she clearly explains what she wants him to do and why and the entire dystopian future comes about because she massively misunderstands what the spiritual stones actually do

zelda is consistently a good character but not for the whedonesque bullshit this guy thinks qualifies as good writing that whole video is such a weird artifact of 2014 woke gamer thinking that among other things believes the then tomb raider remake series had lasting artistic merit as a feminist story

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
new Verhoeven just dropped.

https://twitter.com/RifewithKatie/status/1466120640952418313?s=20

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Braavos are the only "good" faction in GoT, being fantasy Venice founded by a slave revolt.

They also mostly stay out of the entire mess.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i thought people said dorne was the good one

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Judakel posted:

brother, if it were up to me you'd be getting sixers every six hours

thats really badass

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/RifewithKatie/status/1466120640952418313?s=20

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

endocriminologist posted:

thats really badass

it is op

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

scott is nothing if not consistent, from The Duellists (1977)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X66Cp4-1p_I

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

i say swears online posted:

i mean i get it, but the anachronism was silly. sam may as well have pitched the idea for facebook. iunno maybe lots of scribes were laughed at for suggesting the same thing a thousand years ago
I'm not sure it's really an anachronism, even if no society like the one shown in the show would ever adopt it peacefully. Like, the actual show features two instances of a "democracy", one of which Sam was directly a part of, so it's not like he'd have to be dragging it into the story from our reality. And historically, direct democracy is way older than the kind of feudal societies depicted in GoT.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i dont know how relevant voting would be in a situation where the settings most politically incompetent character is able to obtain a position of absolute power solely because her personal bodyguard is a giant hulked out zombie

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

in that video i linked that no one wants to watch verhoeven compared zelda to cersei lannister to perhaps give a sense as to why i found his observations so bewildering as to be discussion worthy

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1465734906072469509?s=20

I don't have high hopes for this, the source material wasn't great. Although the Limetown TV show was better than the podcast, so who knows.

I hope it succeeds though so we get a season two. The premise of that one is a bunch of Amazon employees on mission to see if Lovecraft's Dreamlands are fit for colonization and exploitation.

They better not change archive 81's ending.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Some Guy TT posted:

she doesnt do it at night she doesnt fight monsters too strong for link and she doesnt manipulate link she clearly explains what she wants him to do and why and the entire dystopian future comes about because she massively misunderstands what the spiritual stones actually do

zelda is consistently a good character but not for the whedonesque bullshit this guy thinks qualifies as good writing that whole video is such a weird artifact of 2014 woke gamer thinking that among other things believes the then tomb raider remake series had lasting artistic merit as a feminist story

r/gamerghazi still exists and is still an active sub. So is r/kotakuinaction.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah but places like those are essentially zoo exhibits.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

ToxicAcne posted:

Zoe Quinn being chummy with Lowtax up until the day he died despite her being "feminazi numero uno" and him being an MRA folk-hero by that point is something that I will never really be able to parse out.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
my favorite Christmas movie is the lord of the rings trilogy (extended) plus whatever new cast interviews I can find on YouTube

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
Day 1,659 living in a pop culture hellscape: taking a Harry Potter quiz to self-diagnose your mental illnesses.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
cgd? compulsive gambling disorder?

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

indigi posted:

cgd? compulsive gambling disorder?

idk but he is the protagonist of my favorite doujin game so im pretty happy with this outcome

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

"complicated grief disorder" lmao

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

FFT posted:

"complicated grief disorder" lmao

IT WAS HER! TURN!

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Lib and let die posted:

IT WAS HER! TURN!

come on man, i'm a bernie bro, if you're gonna oblige me to say the line, it's "bernie would have won"

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I'm a few episodes into Deutschland 83 and it's really good so far

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

ToxicAcne posted:

gamerghazi turned into your bogstandard left-liberal breadtube subreddit, it's pretty much the c-spam gaming thread but with more warren voters. as might be expected kotakuinaction is lots of way too online right-wing culture war bullshit. zoe quinn and whatshisface have long since been forgotten.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Fleetwood posted:

I'm a few episodes into Deutschland 83 and it's really good so far

yeah it's pretty good, not as much DDR-bashing as you'd expect.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i still see gamergate guys with the avatars and everything lurking in twitter replies sometimes and it feels like when they found all those japanese soldiers who never stopped fighting in the 70s

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Some Guy TT posted:

in that video i linked that no one wants to watch verhoeven compared zelda to cersei lannister to perhaps give a sense as to why i found his observations so bewildering as to be discussion worthy

ya im sorry but im not watching an old guy known for a different medium do a ted talk about vidya games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i will never watch a ted talk