Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stevie Lee posted:

I've worked with these freaks

It's a-many a man I have seen in my day,
Who lived just to labor his whole life away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

cmerepaul posted:

I think the UPLOADED variety is meant to be heated, the rest are designed to be eaten cold.

Why are all these boxes constantly screaming at me? Why would anyone voluntarily pick these things up from a shelf and carry them into their own home?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Orange Devil posted:

Why are all these boxes constantly screaming at me? Why would anyone voluntarily pick these things up from a shelf and carry them into their own home?
the 90s and early 00s were a more xtreme time

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm a little late but I'm old enough that I was allowed to walk home unattended for lunch every day from 1st to 8th grade (eating only in the cafeteria on fish day because good lord those fried fish patties were great) and in high school we were allowed to leave and go wherever we wanted for lunch so I never went to the cafeteria even once or was really sure where it was located. It was great.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Orange Devil posted:

They're probably on a shelf with similar products and have to compete for visibility from consumers. My frugal mom taught me to pay for the product, not the packaging and very loud packaging is usually a dead giveaway you are paying way too much. Goons are getting performatively grossed out by lunchables but if you're really gonna compare then you'd have to hold it up to other comparatively unhealthy, long shelf life easy to prep counterparts. Because at the end of the day you are trading cost, shelf life, prep time, and sodium/insulin spikes on school lunch.

Speaking of school lunches, recall that Michelle Obama pushed to have healthier lunches in schools and there was a big right wing backlash against it (Sara Palin did some gimmick where she had donors offer cookies to affected schools I believe). The prevailing argument was "Kids don't like this stuff and it's all getting thrown away anyway".

Which is convenient, because how could you even prove that? Sure there's plenty of goony kids that aren't gonna eat vegetables (certainly me as a kid wouldn't be as keen on it) but over time you would see an improvement. It just loops back to the fact that conservatives hate the idea that other people might know how to care for their kids better than them and being deprived the opportunity to victim blame other needy kids at the same time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Panfilo posted:

They're probably on a shelf with similar products and have to compete for visibility from consumers. My frugal mom taught me to pay for the product, not the packaging and very loud packaging is usually a dead giveaway you are paying way too much. Goons are getting performatively grossed out by lunchables but if you're really gonna compare then you'd have to hold it up to other comparatively unhealthy, long shelf life easy to prep counterparts. Because at the end of the day you are trading cost, shelf life, prep time, and sodium/insulin spikes on school lunch.

Speaking of school lunches, recall that Michelle Obama pushed to have healthier lunches in schools and there was a big right wing backlash against it (Sara Palin did some gimmick where she had donors offer cookies to affected schools I believe). The prevailing argument was "Kids don't like this stuff and it's all getting thrown away anyway".

Which is convenient, because how could you even prove that? Sure there's plenty of goony kids that aren't gonna eat vegetables (certainly me as a kid wouldn't be as keen on it) but over time you would see an improvement. It just loops back to the fact that conservatives hate the idea that other people might know how to care for their kids better than them and being deprived the opportunity to victim blame other needy kids at the same time.

I forget where it was, the UK maybe, but there was definitely a time when some school started making healthy lunches and, like, tearful parents were shoving hamburgers through the school fence for their children to retrieve and eat at recess because better they eat fence hamburger than a broccoli.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I remember those milk bag things from elementary school in exurb California. Kids would shoot milk at each other and toss them around for fun.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

vyelkin posted:

I forget where it was, the UK maybe, but there was definitely a time when some school started making healthy lunches and, like, tearful parents were shoving hamburgers through the school fence for their children to retrieve and eat at recess because better they eat fence hamburger than a broccoli.

there was a whole show in the US about some british chef trying to get schools to make healthier lunches. this was a recurring theme.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ArmZ posted:

there was a whole show in the US about some british chef trying to get schools to make healthier lunches. this was a recurring theme.

It was the same guy in both

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

sisyphus?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

A guy who wasn't dumb as poo poo would probably have succeeded a bit better.

Chef: Now see this, kids, this is where your poo poo food comes from; do you still want to eat your poo poo food?
Literally all the kids: Uhh yes.
Chef: *farts and cries*

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ArmZ posted:

sisyphus?

Jamie Oliver.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Kids like lunchables because kids have gently caress all control over their lives so being able to choose between biscuit/meat/cheese or biscuit/cheese/meat during lunch blows their loving minds

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

vyelkin posted:

It's funny because these are typically the same kind of parents that make mealtimes a huge battle in their household. You'd think they'd be like "eat it and be grateful!" but no, no they are going to be reactionaries through and through. I bet the kids that weren't allowed to have a speck of sugar before are given cinnamon toast slathered in Nutella out of pure spite. The only time they are going to take their child's opinion completely at face value is when the kid says things like "they made us eat sprouty stuff for lunch" "they told me to wear a condom if I stick my peepee in another boy's butt" "I had to say sorry to the class for being white".

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

Literally my super communism dream job is to be one of a half dozen people in an industrial kitchen creating food enough every day to feed thousands. I cannot think of anything more satisfying and the worst part is that it'd be absolutely effortless a thing to make possible even within the dark beating heart of capitalism if only the political will existed

Well if you do, PM me. I'd like doing that and I've volunteered and partaken of such things before, as well as worked in a restaurant kitchen once.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Splicer posted:

Kids like lunchables because kids have gently caress all control over their lives so being able to choose between biscuit/meat/cheese or biscuit/cheese/meat during lunch blows their loving minds

Also the box screams at you and that's cool, I always do what a box tells me

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Did you just like, skip ages 6 thru 14 or something

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
every time i go in to bed bath and beyond it seems emptier and emptier. like they take out an entire display and rearrange all the other ones and hope no one notices

i think the execs are winding down and getting ready to cash out, if not after this holiday season then probably the next one

rip bb&b

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Nastier Nate posted:

every time i go in to bed bath and beyond it seems emptier and emptier. like they take out an entire display and rearrange all the other ones and hope no one notices

i think the execs are winding down and getting ready to cash out, if not after this holiday season then probably the next one

rip bb&b

Bankruptcies make for great dumpster diving! Thanks for the heads up!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

petit choux posted:

Bankruptcies make for great dumpster diving! Thanks for the heads up!

Not when the company sells their inventory and ops to a "going out of business" firm that will shuttle the leftovers around to other stores they're helping run into the ground, and everything is msrp.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Not when the company sells their inventory and ops to a "going out of business" firm that will shuttle the leftovers around to other stores they're helping run into the ground, and everything is msrp.

I didn't say I was planning on loading up on brand new linens did I?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

This would be a part of my own dream job but a bit further along the line. Even now, hydroponics for low calorie stuff like greens is extremely promising even if it isn't on its own enough to actually keep anybody alive

loving hydroponics rocks I just finished taping a bunch of small storage boxes in metal tape and drilling holes in the lids for baskets. I intend to have one shelf with herbs, two lettuces, and maybe try some chard or mustard. it’s great because you can just take a couple leaves for a burger instead of buying a whole damned head of lettuce

in another storage bin I’ve got clones of raspberry branches rooting so I can have a whole row of bushes in my yard, plus three Thai basil plants that grew from stalks I bought as soup garnish at the Asian supermarket. just found the thickest stems and dunked them in water. soon enough they grew roots.

my favorite thing is to steal a pepper from the grocery store and then grow a bunch of plants from it HAHAHAHA gently caress YOU KROGER

obvs I’m also growing weed

i am harry has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Dec 1, 2021

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

The Nastier Nate posted:

rip bb&b

bb&b is good if you need a product from an informercial because that's 99% of the store.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Line Feed posted:

its a meme u dip

I dip we dip

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

petit choux posted:

I didn't say I was planning on loading up on brand new linens did I?

I guess dumpster diving displays can be profitable on craigslist?

E: I'm fine with dumpster diving, it's how I got my coffee table, lots of working vacuums over the years to fix and sell. BB&B is almost entirely trash from the factory though so I don't know what you'd pull from their dumpsters that'd be useful.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

rip bb&b

I feel like this is one of those psychological horror stories where people slowly go missing one by one and only one person remembers them and even the physical world has rearranged to make it seem like they never existed, except it's like bath towels and pillows.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

I feel like this is one of those psychological horror stories where people slowly go missing one by one and only one person remembers them and even the physical world has rearranged to make it seem like they never existed, except it's like bath towels and pillows.

Beverly Crusher trapped in an ever-shrinking Towels section

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

poemdexter posted:

bb&b is good if you need a product from an informercial because that's 99% of the store.

i got a pop up laundry hamper

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
bed bath and beyond is pretty nice for kitchen stuff, pots/pans/silverware. less bougie than a crate n barrel or williams sonoma

never bought bed or bath stuff there, beyond only

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I was trying to think of where else I'd seen that plot before and the two I could come up with was a movie I've completely forgotten the name of where some lady's kid is disappeared by aliens, and that fuckin' star trek episode :v:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

I was trying to think of where else I'd seen that plot before and the two I could come up with was a movie I've completely forgotten the name of where some lady's kid is disappeared by aliens, and that fuckin' star trek episode :v:

Dr. Who had that one. A crack in reality that if you saw it you were immediately entranced and walked into it, and then the past shifted so that you never existed. I forget how the doctor got us out of that pickle but it's sure a good thing he did.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

These are made up especially the first one. Wouldn't a former marine get their education paid for through the GI bill? And dude seems young enough that he would've gotten the post 9/11 GI bill which paid tuition and gave a stipend to the military people I knew in college

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I thought the twist for the lady's schedule was that she was a full time mom.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Ebola Roulette posted:

These are made up especially the first one. Wouldn't a former marine get their education paid for through the GI bill? And dude seems young enough that he would've gotten the post 9/11 GI bill which paid tuition and gave a stipend to the military people I knew in college

Enlisted are idiots, never underestimate that fact alone.

If he really is a vet and paid out of pocket, it's because the school was either more of a sham than UofPhoenix and the VA wouldn't touch it, or he hosed up while in the military and got out with a less/other than honorable or dishonorable discharge and doesn't have access to those benefits, which means he's still a goddamn idiot because you kinda have to gently caress up hard to get anything besides an honorable discharge, or get so hosed up that you get a medical discharge and a disability rating on day one of being a free person again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the 90s and early 00s were a more xtreme time

There's a hilarious alternate reality where food packaging laws are incredibly strict but everything still had the same names so in 2003 you're buying a plain white bag with nondescript black lettering that still says DORITOS N-SANE XTREME SUPER 3D

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

It's an Ikea knock off and not a BB&B, impulse library grab recently.
Ya know how in Ikea, they have mock rooms setup to showcase items? Each of those are connected via wormholes, and well, sometimes, those connectors misfire and shoppers end up places they shouldn't. Thankfully there's a store manual and videos in case this happens on your shift, and you have to retrieve them. What do you mean you didn't read the manual?!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

petit choux posted:

Dr. Who had that one. A crack in reality that if you saw it you were immediately entranced and walked into it, and then the past shifted so that you never existed. I forget how the doctor got us out of that pickle but it's sure a good thing he did.

Oh also there was that episode of Stargate SG-1 where they go to the planet where everyone was living in this slowly shrinking bubble since they ruined the environment. They were all connected by neural interfaces to a central computer and the computer's solution to "the bubble is shrinking" was to just randomly kill people by making them take all their belongings and walk out into the inhospitable death outside the bubble, then rewrite everyone's memory so they never existed. Easy peasy.

I feel like it's a surprisingly accurate depiction of how The Algorithm "solves" problems these days tbh.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/1465732050758078464

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Santas these days are too lazy to work.