Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Taerkar posted:

Space magic means I don't gotta explain poo poo!

Exactly, and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Hey it’s not space magic to make a base you also need a 2x2 foot square piece of random wreckage and a fun crystal you found in a cave.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Subnautic:screamy:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I do desperately wish there were games more similar to this

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Is Below Zero on PS4 any more playable than the main game?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJx5deitpAQ

Nothing special, but interesting if you like the lore.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’ve put about 12 hours or so into the game

For some reason I had a hard time running into the Jellyshroom Cave and getting access to Magnetite until very recently. I had to look up in a video where to find it because i kept driving around it somehow. I built my base on the edge of the Mushroom Forest in a small clearing between the forest and the grassy plains

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Reminds me of the first base I built all those years ago. It was right next to the big geyser in the safe shallows.

I had a nuclear power plant before I found the mushroom cave :downsrim:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Where do you find the nuclear blueprints, I haven’t run into that but I feel like I’ve found a lot of the other ones

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Where do you find the nuclear blueprints, I haven’t run into that but I feel like I’ve found a lot of the other ones

You’re looking for any big wrecks which you haven’t cleared yet. There’s one on one of the floating bits in the Floating Islands zone which is easy to miss if you’re mostly concerned about Deeper once you hit that area.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ok thanks, I found a wreck on one of those islands at one point

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LonsomeSon posted:

You’re looking for any big wrecks which you haven’t cleared yet. There’s one on one of the floating bits in the Floating Islands zone which is easy to miss if you’re mostly concerned about Deeper once you hit that area.

Pretty sure I found a few bits for the Nuclear Reactor underwater resting on the side of the mountains that make up the island with The Gun.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Are there any good strategies for doing longer travel in the Cyclops other than to pack a bunch of power cells? It seems like the cells deplete very fast.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Track down the efficiency upgrade, the thermal upgrade, and don't use the sonar if at all possible. Also, if you're really concerned just pack a locker with all the parts for a single room with a generator and power cell charger.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Are there any good strategies for doing longer travel in the Cyclops other than to pack a bunch of power cells? It seems like the cells deplete very fast.

Either that or build a secondary base wherever it is you explore. I’m not sure how far in the game you are, but if you entered the underground river area most people build a base down there for resupplies and storage.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Make a bunch of spares (or salvage them from near the Aurora) and have a power cell charger at a base. Also, avoid using the sonar much and when you're leaving the ship, shut off the engine so it doesn't drain power.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Stop going everywhere on silent running

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Either that or build a secondary base wherever it is you explore. I’m not sure how far in the game you are, but if you entered the underground river area most people build a base down there for resupplies and storage.
Yeah I may do that, I got to the Tree Cove last night and that’s as far as you can go with the Seamoth

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

General Battuta posted:

No

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

General Battuta posted:

But I like the red lights :cry:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
yeah the cyclops lasts a long rear end time on ahead slow without silent running on

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I dont think ive ever used silent running. Just truck ahead and ignore that leviathan, youll be out of aggro range soon enough.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Or get the mod which lets you put a nuclear reactor in the cyclops

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I may do that, I got to the Tree Cove last night and that’s as far as you can go with the Seamoth

That’s absolutely where you want to build a secondary base. Go down there with the mats to make a thermal reactor or two and use the vents surrounding the tree. If you go any further beyond you’ll want your prawn suit and Cyclops upgraded with level 2 depth modules. You’ll get the mats for level 3 soon enough.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I know it's going to be a decade or more until we get a real sequel, but I hope UW does a remaster or something

If you've been playing this game a while you might not realize how many issues it has, but try showing it to someone for the first time now

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They should learn to slow down in the Seamoth when approaching islands the hard way like I did.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I forget who the goon was who stated putting a platform over a vent for Thermals.
Blew my mind of why I wasnt doing that.
Thank you

In the River there are some pillars and just outside are some thermal vents, I always put some reactors there and back and just above 900 is where I build my base.
Good place for a scanner and basically directly under pod 17 (I think) in the red zone where I build my main base.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Manager Hoyden posted:

I know it's going to be a decade or more until we get a real sequel, but I hope UW does a remaster or something

If you've been playing this game a while you might not realize how many issues it has, but try showing it to someone for the first time now
I’ve been surprised how poorly it loads distance even when I have a pretty high end PC with an NVME drive

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

OgNar posted:

I forget who the goon was who stated putting a platform over a vent for Thermals.
Blew my mind of why I wasnt doing that.
Thank you

:unsmith:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’ve been surprised how poorly it loads distance even when I have a pretty high end PC with an NVME drive

Yeah the game is weirdly unoptimized, but that might just be an issue with using Unity from six years ago

Also the weightless creature rigging, clipping everywhere, perspective/FOV issues, anything having to do with above-water segments, no surround support, etc

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yeah the game is weirdly unoptimized, but that might just be an issue with using Unity from six years ago

Also the weightless creature rigging, clipping everywhere, perspective/FOV issues, anything having to do with above-water segments, no surround support, etc
Yeah I frequently have the bug where when I get into the Seamoth, the view is wrong until I exit the ship and get back in

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The efficiency upgrade is the most important thing you can craft for your cyclops. One is available in-world already constructed in the Aurora, as well.

But yeah, you should craft a wall locker somewhere near your engine room, and stuff a few power cells in there, before you set out on any voyage. They're fairly cheap to craft, so there really isn't any reason not to have spares.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've said it before ITT, but preparing for a huge journey is my favourite aspect of this game. However many power cells I have for backup, and where they're stored, was entirely up to me, and I did not let myself down.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Aoi posted:

The efficiency upgrade is the most important thing you can craft for your cyclops. One is available in-world already constructed in the Aurora, as well.

But yeah, you should craft a wall locker somewhere near your engine room, and stuff a few power cells in there, before you set out on any voyage. They're fairly cheap to craft, so there really isn't any reason not to have spares.
Yes I did get the upgrade from the ship already. I built a fabricator and a bed behind the bridge, but I need to add more storage on that level.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes I did get the upgrade from the ship already. I built a fabricator and a bed behind the bridge, but I need to add more storage on that level.

I'll just say this. You can fit a loooooooot of wall lockers on the lower deck, along the walls opposite the built-in lockers in the bow, and even more along both walls in the stern. While still leaving room for a fabricator, battery charger, first aid kit fabricator, and the like. Enough room for a bunch of every sort of mineral and biological in the game, and a mountain of titanium and glass for building entire bases when the urge takes you.

Enough that you only need two or three on the main deck. I generally build one next to the hatch in the piloting compartment for emergency exits (oxygen tanks and seaglide, etc), one above the bed for personal effects, and the one I first advised closer to the engines for spare power cells (and extra decoys).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I ended up building a base down in the Tree Cove where there were some thermal vents that I could use to power a small facility. I still have to finish that but the base is running and I have upgraded the Cyclops/Prawn to the max depth I can achieve without having Kyanite

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
I don’t think I’ve ever had a game scare me like peeking my head under that murky water at the crash site and seeing/hearing a leviathan in my face

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

skipmyseashells posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever had a game scare me like peeking my head under that murky water at the crash site and seeing/hearing a leviathan in my face

It took me a legitimate hour to navigate that space the first time I saw it. The murky water, the roaring, the half second sliver of the Reaper just in the distance, shook me in a way that was visceral. I had so much fun just scaring myself in that area as I slowly moved from rock to rock. I cannot remember when a game got to me like that. So much fun to be had on the razor's edge of terror.

Between that and just standing on the edge of the game world and just looking down into that abyss, Subnautica is easily one of the best horror games I've ever played.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I think there's really something to be said for having that beauty of the shallows, bulb forest etc, to contrast from the visceral horror. Going from one to the other and back again, they heighten eachother much more than you'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I think there's really something to be said for having that beauty of the shallows, bulb forest etc, to contrast from the visceral horror. Going from one to the other and back again, they heighten eachother much more than you'd think.

The shallow areas are so good because they give you enough room to go roaming freely enough to think you're (relatively) safe, and then you will probably blunder into one of the Reapers hanging around either end of the Aurora by accident. If not get a glimpse of it swimming and decide that other directions are FAR more interesting right now :yikes:.