Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuitcasePimp
Feb 27, 2005

I need a new laptop for development. The main things I need are a really good screen as I work outside almost exclusively and decent horsepower. I don't do any gaming or graphical stuff so I don't really care about GPU, but it seems like most laptops come with one anyway. 16/512 is good but upgradability is a nice to have. I also need a solid support network since I use it for income, and of course prefer not to spend $$$ (I already have a Mac).

This seems like a pretty good deal, but does anyone know of other laptops that would fit the bill?
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/bijd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That's a good deal, I don't like xps's for the money typically but that's a good deal. You can look at the Thinkpad line, maybe the X1. If you don't care about the GPU then you can get a really good Thinkpad for that money

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'd open up your software and see how much memory it uses

It's probable that it is capable of using 32gb for brief periods of time but my guess is that it's rare you're using the full 16gb, 32gb would probably be a waste if money, but I haven't used modern image/art stuff in a long time

TL;DR 16GB should enough memory for anyone

-Bill Gates, probably

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Note that Chrome will take more RAM if it sees some is free, even if it doesn't use it. So you might be like "oh poo poo if I had less ram Chrome would be paging" but really it's just precaching some JavaScript you ran 4 months ago. It runs just as well with less memory available.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lockback posted:

but really it's just precaching some JavaScript you ran 4 months ago

Lmao, I wish you were joking

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

I haven't used modern image/art stuff in a long time

my experience at work is, 16gb is (barely) enough for running adoben for webdev work on windows, but if you're doing any print resolution poo poo i'd say you pretty much need more. even our oldest imacs have 24 now (2x4+2x8) since people with 16 complained a few years ago, and all new designer boxes are bought with 32 now because who knows if even 24 is going to be sufficient a year from now lmao

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Thoughts on MSI? Costco has what seems like a good price for the next few days on one with a 3060:

https://www.costco.com/msi-ge76-raider-gaming-laptop---11th-gen-intel-core-i7-11800h---geforce-rtx-3060---144hz-1080p.product.100763831.html

Generally I just sit on a recliner like an old man and play games. Currently using an Asus ROG with a 1050, not too big on how hot it can get but I have a fan pad. Kinda want something now because my even older ROG "read internet while teleworking + rocksmith" laptop died yesterday (it had an 860m and was ~7 years old and I bought it used ~5 years ago on SA Mart, so it lasted a good while) and I'd like to shift things around. Mostly concerned about how it'll hold up over time.

Microsoft has a similar ROG Strix for less but I generally drift towards Costco for the warranty.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MSI run hot, are kinda plasticy. Probably not a great pick for playing on your lap, though they do give you generally good perf for the money. Even with the warranty I'd do the rog strix. A legion or a g14 would be cooler for lap playing but that g17s price is great as long as you are on with a 17".

Edit: actually that's the raider, those are actually usually pretty nice. Kind of a push honestly, if you really like the Costco warranty it might tip it to the MSI

Lockback fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 26, 2021

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Just an FYI to anyone that missed the bb deal the first time around, the Legion slim 7 with a 1TB SSD is currently $1390 on Lenovo's website. I wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger on a gaming laptop last month, but I've settled on picking this one up given the deal today.
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-7-series/legion-s7-15ach6/88gmy701595

Kind of an aside, but I'm currently using some audio technica over ear headphones and a separate wired mic, but this laptop only has one hybrid headphone/mic jack. What's my best solution? i'm looking to get a new mic for gaming anyway. i'm assuming i wouldn't want to use the laptop's onboard mic? I'm completely new to laptop gaming, so apologies for the totally basic question

The i/o is definitely a weak point in this system, but it's a minor thing compared to the pluses

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think you just need one of these
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...537531498&psc=1

There probably is a cheaper option at monoprice or something.

And yes, that's an awesome deal.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'm looking at a $250 or less chromebook for my dad who would mainly use it for emailing, news sites and YouTube. So far I'm seeing the HP 14, lenovo flex 3 (he also likes to draw so good for that maybe?) , Lenovo chromebook duet, S330. Any advice? If possible he would prefer a larger display I believe vs a tiny laptop he has a hard time with small keyboards

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 27, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a dedicated Chromebook thread if you don't find an answer here

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm looking at a $250 or less chromebook for my dad who would mainly use it for emailing, news sites and YouTube. So far I'm seeing the HP 14, lenovo flex 3 (he also likes to draw so good for that maybe?) , Lenovo chromebook duet, S330. Any advice? If possible he would prefer a larger display I believe vs a tiny laptop he has a hard time with small keyboards

The HP 14 is just $200 at Costco: https://www.costco.com/hp-14%22-chromebook-bundle---intel-celeron---1080p---bonus-sleeve-%2526-wireless-mouse.product.100793916.html

I have almost the same model, and it works perfectly for the things you've mentioned, though there's no touch screen. I don't know anything about the 360-degree hinge/touch screen ones.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Sad to report that dead pixels have started to appear on my Asus G15 bought from Best Buy. Looks like at least 8 pixels spread randomly across the screen. Unfortunately a few of them are very bright.

Not sure what to do about this since I am pretty sure I am far past whatever Best Buy warranty was (looks like maybe 60 days?). Uh yeah - shipped 03/29 so... wayyyy past the the Best Buy return dates. Any advice? Is the Asus warranty worth looking it?

Aren't enough dead pixels to make it unusable but drat is it annoying. Also seems to be getting worse because I am positive they weren't there when it shipped.

Ugh... looks like I would qualify for RMA but that means I will get a used one back. Have not had good experiences with RMA in the past.
https://www.asus.com/us/support/article/811

Wait - am I reading this right? I can only return the laptop within 3 months of purchase?!? That can't be right. Can it?
https://www.asus.com/us/support/Article/694/

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 27, 2021

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I spent about that much a couple years ago to buy my mother a refurb from Acer's ebay store; they have a lot of Chromebooks. I think this is the one I got her:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Chromebook-314-14-Intel-Celeron-N4000-1-1GHz-4GB-Ram-64GB-Flash-ChromeOS-/265292018856?hash=item3dc4a2f4a8

It hasn't had any problems with web browsing and stuff like Zoom calls.

But it's not a tablet, if he wants something he can draw on. They have other models. I'm not sure you get a good enough touchscreen for that price though.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Can anyone comment on how an M1 Air w/ 8GB RAM copes with illustrator/lightroom/photoshop vs a PC with 16 or 32GB of RAM? I'm torn between getting a Lenovo/Dell/Asus w/ 16GB/512SSD and is upgradeable vs an Air w/ 8GB/256 SSD.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

sigma 6 posted:

Wait - am I reading this right? I can only return the laptop within 3 months of purchase?!? That can't be right. Can it?
https://www.asus.com/us/support/Article/694/

That's the referb warranty page. You should have a year. I've never had to rma but 8 pixels means your panel is dying. It's just going to get worse so get it in.

Also, you probably will get the same laptop back just with a new screen, though possibly/probably refurbed. Your looking at the monitor policy (which doesn't apply, it's a laptop) and refurb policy which doesn't apply if you bought it new from best buy. You probably should call Asus.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Lockback posted:

That's the referb warranty page. You should have a year. I've never had to rma but 8 pixels means your panel is dying. It's just going to get worse so get it in.

Also, you probably will get the same laptop back just with a new screen, though possibly/probably refurbed. Your looking at the monitor policy (which doesn't apply, it's a laptop) and refurb policy which doesn't apply if you bought it new from best buy. You probably should call Asus.

I will. Thanks for the prompt reply. Didn't expect it to be so bad so quick. I will say the surface book 2 is hands down a better display and I miss the touch screen. What I don't miss is the overheating, the inability to upgrade and rubber strips literally peeling off the base. I replaced those rubber strips and they peeled off again. The surface book 2 is great in THEORY but in practice doesn't work well for any heavy lifting. Photoshop or 2D graphics are fine on it though.

Frustrating parts of the G15 so far:

Dead pixels (!!)
HDMI port is finicky. I have found the USB C to HDMI to be always reliable but the HDMI port itself is not.
Left / Right click on the track pad is also finicky. For most people this might not matter because they use a mouse but it's loving frustrating when I don't want to carry around a mouse.

On the plus side it's the fastest laptop I have ever used by far! Rendering in Arnold has been a dream on it compared to most computers.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Any advice on a 15” laptop for general couch use and streaming games from a desktop? It’d be nice if it could run ff14 and indie city builder games (or even anno), but not critical. League would also be nice, but I am fine turning graphics down. My old Dell laptop of five years ago is dying and I need something to replace it. Not sure about budget but ideally less than $1000. I could probably go up to $1300/1400 if there’s a strong case to be made.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arcturas posted:

Any advice on a 15” laptop for general couch use and streaming games from a desktop? It’d be nice if it could run ff14 and indie city builder games (or even anno), but not critical. League would also be nice, but I am fine turning graphics down. My old Dell laptop of five years ago is dying and I need something to replace it. Not sure about budget but ideally less than $1000. I could probably go up to $1300/1400 if there’s a strong case to be made.

See my previous posts about the Lenovo laptop I recently bought, should fit exactly for your needs

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

See my previous posts about the Lenovo laptop I recently bought, should fit exactly for your needs

Thanks, it looks like most of what I want, though I’m nervous about not having 16 GB of ram. I tend to run tab-heavy on browsing, and have liked having the extra ram in the past. Has that been an issue for you?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arcturas posted:

Thanks, it looks like most of what I want, though I’m nervous about not having 16 GB of ram. I tend to run tab-heavy on browsing, and have liked having the extra ram in the past. Has that been an issue for you?

I bought an extra 8 GB stick like at the same time(only cost like 36 bucks or something) so once I got Windows setup I installed that as well so I got 16 right now(will probably upgrade to 32 down the road for shits and giggles) as it's setup from the factory to do two channel RAM if you have two compatible sticks in its two slots

Also went and upgraded the storage recently too since the 256 GB it comes with is a bit light*

*the one major problem the upgradability this laptop has is that the extra NVME drive slot and the slot for adding a more fat SSD in overlap in a way that one probably can't use both at once

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The most portable gaming laptop on the market is on sale right now, g14 for 1350.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...white/6452913.p

This is overkill but it would mean you don't need to stream anything and my battery life is usually ~10+ hours Netflix, ~7 hours various browsing, 4+ hours gaming (though less with very intense games). Very good build quality and when I travel I can charge it with my usb-c phone charger so I don't need to bring a brick.

This gigabyte is also decent.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834233489

850 but you gotta do a rebate. The 3050ti is pretty decent and should be able to run a lot of less demanding stuff on it's own.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
I got a Framework laptop. I chose an i7-1165G7 DIY laptop where you provide the ram, ssd and wifi module (I just got the $18 Intel one from Framework). With 16gb of RAM, a 1TB SSD and some extra IO modules, I am all in at ~$1300-$1400.

The setup was pretty easy, I just followed the guide on the Framework website. Windows 10 install also felt pretty standard. Interesting thing of note that I didn't think about before hand was that there were no drivers from the get go. So you have to put them on a USB drive and go from there.

This replaces my personal Lenovo T540P from 2014 or 2015 and I have a Lenovo T480 with an 8th gen i5 from work to compare to. The Framework is nice and zippy. I've mostly just done content consumption over the last few days and it does that largely without needing the fan to run. So it's staying quiet and cool for my current use case. The construction and packaging is also totally fine. There are a ton of magnets so aligning bezels and the frame is super easy. I think that the keyboard feels great for a laptop, but I would not rate myself as a connoisseur by any means. The screen is nice. I like the taller aspect ratio and the bezels are smaller than the two laptops that I can compare to which isn't saying much.

This is ultimately a toy for me. I wanted to replace the T540P with something more modern and I don't rely on a personal laptop on a day to day basis. I have a desktop already so this is just a more portable thing if I want to lie on the couch and do computer stuff or whatever else. The idea that this laptop represents is appealing to me so I decided to try it out even if I think that doing so will be more expensive up front. Overall, I would say that the Framework is a good laptop. Would I have gotten this if it were my only computer? I don't know. I am happy with it and really appreciate the gains over my work laptop from just 3 gens of Intel. There is for certain a price premium for choosing this, but you know that going into it. Overall, It's a nice laptop and I am hoping to get several years of use out of it.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Huh, I had never heard of the Framework laptop. That's neat as hell, I love the modular design.

I'm looking for a laptop for my wife. Targeting an 15.6" i5/16gb/512nvme, budget is $1k but flexible. She'll be using it to work (dozens of browser tabs) and some light 2d graphic design with photoshop or indesign. I want to hook it to a Dell WD19 dock, will most anything with a USB-C (3.2?) port work with that? I'm eyeing that Gigabyte a couple posts up, she doesn't game but might be good for me occasionally. Any other recommendations come to mind?

CloFan fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 28, 2021

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Lockback posted:

The most portable gaming laptop on the market is on sale right now, g14 for 1350.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...white/6452913.p

This is overkill but it would mean you don't need to stream anything and my battery life is usually ~10+ hours Netflix, ~7 hours various browsing, 4+ hours gaming (though less with very intense games). Very good build quality and when I travel I can charge it with my usb-c phone charger so I don't need to bring a brick.

This actually looks perfect. The 14" screen is a touch smaller than I'd normally want but I imagine I can make it work. (I have terrible eyes so often have to scoot things closer to my face.) How hot does it run, and how durable does the build quality feel?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lenovo Legion 5 starting at $300 off ($1200 with a 3060), including this fun little (bugged?) option:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Arcturas posted:

This actually looks perfect. The 14" screen is a touch smaller than I'd normally want but I imagine I can make it work. (I have terrible eyes so often have to scoot things closer to my face.) How hot does it run, and how durable does the build quality feel?

I have the previous years version (the 2060).

The screen is much nicer than I expected and the 14" size is my new sweet spot. I went from a 15 to a 17 back to a 15 and I'm happiest with the 14 now.

It runs very cool typically. If you are pushing the GPU hard it does get warm, but not really hot. much less than any other gaming laptop I've used when pushing the GPU. You can adjust your fans to balance noise vs heat too.

Very durable, very good build quality. It looks and kinda feels like a macbook and that's a good thing. It is still plastic but it isn't creaky or flexy at all.

A couple notes: No webcam, which is both a positive and a negative. And the keyboard coloring is kind of a bad design choice, it's hard to see the characters and the backlight options aren't great. That's a real small nitpick though. I also keep my battery set to 60% unless I am actively traveling with it. The battery isn't any worse than any other laptop, but when the battery life is such a pro you should take some steps to keep it healthy. There are some great online guides on how to maximize the life when not plugged in, that's what I followed to get the numbers I posted.

Honestly for the "I want a gaming laptop that's also really portable" it stands alone. I really love mine a year+ later, and I treat my portables like absolute garbage.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Arcturas posted:

I just bought the Dell g15 with the 3050ti and 5800h that was on sale last week at Best Buy for $850 but it like to be back to normal price. They didn’t have a display model anymore so I have a feeling it’ll be discontinued soon and back on sale to clear out inventory. It runs FF14 perfectly fine with only the 8gb stick but I still plan to add another, around 50 fps in cities with a bunch of players but constant 60 sound alliance raids with full effects turned on. Might be worth keeping an eye out for it or look for something similar spec.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

drrockso20 posted:

Also thanks for this advice. Ended up getting this laptop especially since it's price dropped a little on Amazon. Major upgrade over my 10 year old Dell lol. Only real downgrade is that my old laptop had an amazing sound system and this doesn't. I Mostly use headphones these days though and have a spare dongle sound card so its not a huge issue. Will definitely upgrade the RAM and probably the storage but so far it can handle everything I wanted it for.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Lenovo Legion 5 starting at $300 off ($1200 with a 3060), including this fun little (bugged?) option:

Lenovo's Website posted:

Ships in 4+ months

It's an attractive deal if you don't mind waiting. Looks like the i7-11600H is available in 3+ months, however.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

fwiw most people were reporting actual ship dates much sooner, I've seen less than half the reported time. I don't know if that's still true, and obv it's only true until it isn't.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the framework laptop has gotten good reviews, very happy customers, especially from the power users

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I've been inspired by this 'Thinkfriend' mockup to find something similar that actually exists:

https://twitter.com/NanoRaptor/status/1459338118104948736?s=20

Looking for something that has the following:
- At least a 1080p screen
- Small-ish, 12" screen or so
- Enough performance to run Chrome and do some light web development and image editing.
- Good linux support
- Not obscenely expensive

Basically just a small Laptop to mess around in Linux. I suppose there are some Chromebooks out there that could fit the bill that are pretty cheap, right? The Pinebook Pro actually looks like it would fit the bill, but it's out of stock. Is there anything else I should look at? I suppose I could also look for an older Thinkpad model and install Linux on it and get pretty close to the mock up (save for the check engine light!).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

For those looking for a portable workstation, the Thinkpad X-series recently introduced the Ryzen 5000 series (a great laptop CPU), and the X13 has a sale running on it now.
Note: 13" screen and no TB, but under $1000 is a real nice deal.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15455089-lenovo-thinkpad-x13-gen-2-13-3-2560-1600-ryzen-7-pro-5850u-32gb-ddr4-512gb-ssd-964-06?src=frontpage

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Hadlock posted:

Yeah the framework laptop has gotten good reviews, very happy customers, especially from the power users

I've had my eye on it for awhile - the concept is super good. I will say a big part of the benefit relies on them continuing to exist as a company and supporting it the way they say they will.

I may buy one when I see them release upgrade boards for alder lake depending on ddr5 igpu performance even though 3:2 is kind of a drawback for me.

The idea of not tossing your perfectly good chassis and screen when you want a performance upgrade is awesome.

SuitcasePimp
Feb 27, 2005

Lockback posted:

That's a good deal, I don't like xps's for the money typically but that's a good deal. You can look at the Thinkpad line, maybe the X1. If you don't care about the GPU then you can get a really good Thinkpad for that money

I ended up pulling the trigger on the 15" xps deal. I agree its a bit pricey but that screen... I hope it lives up to the review hype. I looked all over Lenovo's site (on a side note curse their naming convention) and I couldn't find anything w/ a 15" display that wasn't the 300 nits or horrible 500 nits w/ privacy dimmer while simultaneously not being a desktop case turned sideways with a battery and screen attached.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

frogbs posted:

I've been inspired by this 'Thinkfriend' mockup to find something similar that actually exists:

https://twitter.com/NanoRaptor/status/1459338118104948736?s=20

Looking for something that has the following:
- At least a 1080p screen
- Small-ish, 12" screen or so
- Enough performance to run Chrome and do some light web development and image editing.
- Good linux support
- Not obscenely expensive

Basically just a small Laptop to mess around in Linux. I suppose there are some Chromebooks out there that could fit the bill that are pretty cheap, right? The Pinebook Pro actually looks like it would fit the bill, but it's out of stock. Is there anything else I should look at? I suppose I could also look for an older Thinkpad model and install Linux on it and get pretty close to the mock up (save for the check engine light!).
An older 12" Thinkpad is a good option IMO, used to have an x32 and that thing ruled.

Maybe One Netbook 4 if that's not too small?

https://www.1netbook.com/businesepc/onemix-4/

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Arcturas posted:

I recently setup a 9th gen 6 core / 1660ti laptop and the EW benchmark hit over 15k points, which points to what I’ve found with 14: can get by with not the worlds best GPU just have some cores that perform somewhat well. The laptop was a Intel NUC Whitebook 9th gen or whatever they call it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Electronaut posted:

. The laptop was a Intel NUC Whitebook 9th gen or whatever they call it.

Whoa, I guess this got announced while we were busy having a baby in the middle of a pandemic last year and I missed the announcement, also I guess there was an election or something

How is this thing? Can you go into more details? My mom is rocking a desktop NUC i5 and loves it

Sort of looks like laptop NUC is a mfg reference hardware for mfg to build good laptops with

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 1, 2021