Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

General Battuta posted:

Has there been any? I have a hard time pointing to a particularly defined arc for anyone. Aside from the usual ‘we became a found family’ cast bonding.

Not really. It's something that really stuck out to me reading the sample chapters of the final book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, I got poo poo on a while back in some thread because I said these books were more like Harry Potter than Game of Thrones (which is not really an insult!) It's just a straightforward sci-fi series with no-frills, workmanlike writing, that's trying to tell a larger-scale story about humanity's conflicts in space. There aren't any long-term prophecies or dozens of characters working off-screen, and nothing spectacular in terms of foreshadowing or subtleties or even character development. They're not BAD books, but they're more like pulpy comfort food than high-quality literature.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Kazzah posted:

They've said they're doing 9 total, right? It's a stretch, but I can imagine The Winds of Winter taking until 2020.

Reading through the thread and this from four years ago made me laugh.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I decided to post this in this thread because even making this statement feels like a spoiler and honestly my memories of the books are hazy but I don't understand how they're even closely going to tie the TV series together resembling where the books have gone with the final season seeing the books go with the timeskip and effin' nation building bullshit and all. Not sure those are good features of the books, but , eh :shrug: I guess they're moving quite far away from the books but somehow explore similar themes I guess. It just weirds me out them calling it the final season but I guess it's reasonable for them to end the series when they're on top of it.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

They are concluding the show prior to the time skip and the last three books apparently.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The conclusion of book 6 is basically the end of the Earth/Mars/Belt arc that is dominant in the series up to that point and a suitable enough stopping point. 7-9 leave a lot of room for a revisiting in a few years if interest picks up again or even a movie(s).

7-9 make for a cool capstone to the series by delving into the space white walkers arc, but like ASoIaF, the real meat was always about the human side of things.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Didn’t they introduce Duarte in the last season or am I misremembering? Seems odd to include him if you’re not going to include the main thing he does

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Didn’t they introduce Duarte in the last season or am I misremembering? Seems odd to include him if you’re not going to include the main thing he does

He got namedropped by one of Savuetorre/Babbage/Cortezar, but wasn't actually on screen.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CommanderApaul posted:

He got namedropped by one of Savuetorre/Babbage/Cortezar, but wasn't actually on screen.

My bad; I think I’ve just been waiting for him to appear so much that my brain convinced itself he did

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Personally I expect the series to end with briefly showing the start of book 7 before the Laconians come back, with Holden and Naomi retiring and an overview of where things are at.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

CommanderApaul posted:

Isn’t he the teacher on Mars early in the season? I remember seeing him then and waiting for the other shoe to drop so I could tell my wife and it never happened.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The academy instructor is Sauveterre. Duarte seems like he's in the Quartermaster department given how many orders we see that he's signed in season 4

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I figure if they show/cast Duarte that means they're reasonably certain they can get an Expanse: Laconia trilogy of movies/special miniseries. Showing the (trailer spoilers) dogs is one thing but Duarte should be just a name until they're certain they have their man. A fancast thread on Reddit I dug up kept wanting Edward James Olmos but that seems far too predictable to me.

Anyhow we all know what the final novella will be in Memory's Legion. zombie Amos, the last man standing, millions of years in the future.

God I can't wait for next week. And then the week after when S6 starts.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 26, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
nice spoiler code dude lmao this isn't discord

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Horizon Burning posted:

nice spoiler code dude lmao this isn't discord

LMAO!!!!!!

Fixed, whatever. Spoiler tags in here are kind of stupid for anything before Leviathan Falls anyhow, how the gently caress do you draw the line

Edit: actually just saw the final novella is called Sins of the Fathers so probably no way it's about Amos

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 26, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Filip and Kit meet up to talk about their parents and Teresa pops in to remind Kit that her dad played his dad like a fuckin DRUM.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It's actually going to be about the sinister plot of Holden's fathers, but only his fathers.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think he’s too famous for it, but Giancarlo Esposito wouldn’t be a bad Duarte

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Giancarlo Esposito being Duarte would be like a parody after him being Moff Gideon and Stan Edgar. It'd be like alright the big bad in every big streaming show is Giancarlo Esposito.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That’s a good point, I somehow already forgot about the mandalorian. Not that it was ever going to happen in the first place, but I’ve changed my mind

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It should've been James Gandolfini :(

e: and they should recast Holden as Lorraine Bracco

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 26, 2021

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

LMAO!!!!!!

Fixed, whatever. Spoiler tags in here are kind of stupid for anything before Leviathan Falls anyhow, how the gently caress do you draw the line

Edit: actually just saw the final novella is called Sins of the Fathers so probably no way it's about Amos

Eh, I checked the (obviously outdated OP) for guidance for my post and it says THIS THREAD ASSUMES EVERYTHING UP UNTIL BABYLON'S ASHES COUNTS AS FAIR GAME FOR SPOILERS so I spoilered whatever in case. Not like I remember what happens in which books anyways anymore.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

General Battuta posted:

It should've been James Gandolfini :(

e: and they should recast Holden as Lorraine Bracco

Have Eddie Murphy play everyone

Diesel posted:

stuff

I mean that's fine I just was a little salty about the dude who literally just came in to dunk on me for using the wrong spoiler tag syntax and not say anything else, despite the fact he's read the preview chapters and I haven't (Amazon took them down before I realized they were A Thing). Obviously the spoilers didn't ruin poo poo for him.

I'm kind of trying to spoiler but it's tough to know what to spoiler, Babylon's ashes was 4 years ago so idk about that OP.

I'm just gonna make sure I don't go here or Google the phone expanse after Tuesday until I'm done. I dunno why someone would be coming here then to not talk about the new book since this thread regularly falls to page 2 or 3 of the book forum.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 28, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
u mad bro

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Started on the final book. I feel like the story is taking ages to actually begin. Anyway, here are my predictions: the gates get destroyed, Jim sacrifices himself, the Roci crew survives, Duarte is treacherous and turns out to have a new Big Stupid Plan That Can't Work, the Expanse is then the term for the disparate colonies scattered about who need to learn a new way of FTL, some kind of protomolecule business brings Miller back for a bit (maybe some final philosophical chat with Jim?), we learn very little about the Goths and all that side of things, and the epilogue is something like the Epstein Drive moment but for protomolecule-free FTL, maybe featuring Amos because haha he's the last man standing haha. Big talk about how this allows humanity to choose its own path forward. Way too much of the book will be recounting the events of books previous. Not because I particularly want this ending, but I think that's very much in-line with how the eight previous books have gone and the general Corey style.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 30, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
"Some people think they can change the human species," the guy who was old and had seen too much poo poo said. "But whatever you do to change what's human, you're still a human doing changes. Isn't that funny?" He put the red kibble in the recycler. "Anyway, I don't think about this stuff. I just drink and shoot stuff. That's why I'm still alive." He was the real wise man.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

That was quite possibly the most boring epic conclusion to a series I've ever read and far too reminiscent of the final moments of Mass Effect 3. It's not terrible but, I mean, I got seven out of eight predictions right. I feel like this needed to be two books. One book dedicated to Tanaka hunting down Holden to get Teresa back and another dedicated to the return of Duarte and the final showdown - can the Laconians and our heroes trust each other long enough to stop him? As it is, I spent a lot of the first half in the book in a fugue state because it felt like one long weird detour from the opening premise and while it faded once the plot got moving about halfway through, it wasn't really enough to energize me at all. Even at the end of the series with the fate of all humanity on the line, the Corey team doesn't really take any risks and while that prevents the ending from being a disaster it also prevents it from being memorable.

General Battuta posted:

"Some people think they can change the human species," the guy who was old and had seen too much poo poo said. "But whatever you do to change what's human, you're still a human doing changes. Isn't that funny?" He put the red kibble in the recycler. "Anyway, I don't think about this stuff. I just drink and shoot stuff. That's why I'm still alive." He was the real wise man.

It felt like Amos was doing so much of this in the novel. The character's fun and all but he needed to stay dead in Tiamat's Wrath. Him showing up as the guardian of humanity at the end of Leviathan Falls was... a thing.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Who does the Leviathan falls upon?

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
It falls for thee, op

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

20% in and I feel like nothing has happened since the Battle of Laconia.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

20% in and I feel like nothing has happened since the Battle of Laconia.

20% was the exact point where that hit me too, funnily enough.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

"Oh great. Back to Fayez and Okoye" - me

quote:

"Well, at least they're not Kit..."

Lol, fair.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 1, 2021

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

"Well, at least they're not Kit..."

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Local book store broke embargo and sold me a copy last night and I stayed up all night and read it in one go. I quite enjoyed it, even if a lot of the story beats weren't really a surprise.

Audible "gently caress yeah"s were said. There were tears in appropriate places. Loose ends that needed tied up we're tied up, and things that were mysterious were both adequately explained and left appropriately mysterious.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 1, 2021

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Lol, the ending says Belter has been dead as a dialect for a thousand years. Marco was...right?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I mean it's probably a dead language the way Latin is a dead language.

Just finished and it was great. Closed out the big arc, gave fitting ends to everyone and was economical and satisfying getting there.

I hope they book Thomas Jane to put down his Miller bits now, just in case.

Amos got all the best lines.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Amos got all the best lines.

"I like you Doc. You're a good person. I know you're not getting off on this. That's why we're not having the other version of this conversation."

I know book Amos looks like an ugly and possibly a little fat (if strong) old bald guy, but I can't help seeing and hearing Wes Chatham for a lot of this stuff.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He looks like some kind of loving hobgoblin in the art for the RPG

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Defiance Industries posted:

He looks like some kind of loving hobgoblin in the art for the RPG

gobble gobble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Nail Rat posted:

"I like you Doc. You're a good person. I know you're not getting off on this. That's why we're not having the other version of this conversation."

Her body reacting to the polite conversation like one might to a narrow miss with a train is a nice touch.