Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Anthony in a Groyper t-shirt arguing with Meadow who's #StillWithHer and ruining Thanksgiving in the house that smells like piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
AJ trying to get Carmela to write him a check so he can buy NFT's and almost getting it because she's just happy to see him excited about something, until Tony wanders through the room in a CBD fog and forbids it because "you want to see a bored ape, I got a guy who can get you a job at the Bronx Zoo"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I really wish I could do impersonations better just so I could do line readings from these threads and post the videos

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Tony mutters "uncle Ben" while Meadow has an argument with Carmella about the important role CRT plays in the classroom.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The whole family got wiped out in the finale, Holdstein’s has since turned into a tourist attraction where vacationing Americans stop to take pictures and pose in the still bullet-ridden booth.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

Tony mutters "uncle Ben" while Meadow has an argument with Carmella about the important role CRT plays in the classroom.

* exhales through his nose *

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
AJs tirade at Bobby's funeral about the US letting Bin Laden escape, how the US is poo poo now (its half on point and half total nonsense) etc, makes me think he would have been a prime candidate for QAnon.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Mike N Eich posted:

AJs tirade at Bobby's funeral about the US letting Bin Laden escape, how the US is poo poo now (its half on point and half total nonsense) etc, makes me think he would have been a prime candidate for QAnon.

AJ joins the DSA and doesn’t know how to change a brake light.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've been bouncing on and off the Talkin Sopranos podcast and I'd forgotten about something.

A lot of people say that Tony wasn't really under any threat at the end after Phil was gone since he had no more enemies. In "Kennedy and Heidi", Pauli was loving pissed that nobody showed for Nucci's wake and said he'd never forget it. He had tried to flip sides before with Johnny and Carmine. He seemed to suspect something when he and Tony went to Florida and went out on the boat. There's that final shot of him sunning himself all alone outside the pork store. I also think that deep down Tony (and Syl) knew that Tony ended Chris; his own flesh and blood.

So I dunno.

Seems like a reach, I admit, but with the NJ crew in a complete shambles and a huge power vacuum in NYC, you think it's possible Paulie would agree to a set up at the diner? I was trying to think of surviving members of the Jersey crew that might see the writing on the wall, knowing that they're all totally hosed, who would feel betrayed or simply powerless that might seek greener pastures.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Funny that Sirico's stipulation was that he wouldn't be a rat, but he was every other undesirable besides that. I could see it, for sure.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

On the podcast they mention he never had an issue with the writing except for one time, where they had someone describe Paulie as a bully, he went to the writers and told them they had to change the line, Paulie’s not a bully, so the writer suggested to change it so they called him a psycho instead and he was perfectly fine with that line change.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ruddiger posted:

On the podcast they mention he never had an issue with the writing except for one time, where they had someone describe Paulie as a bully, he went to the writers and told them they had to change the line, Paulie’s not a bully, so the writer suggested to change it so they called him a psycho instead and he was perfectly fine with that line change.

Talking Sopranos has taught me that most of the cast outside the Soprano family had no idea who their characters were.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mike N Eich posted:

Maybe AJ joins forces with the Q guy who killed some mob boss and they go around cleaning up what's left of the Jersey and NY families.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/anthony-comello-confession-qanon-conspiracy-confession-admissible-923460/

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I've been bouncing on and off the Talkin Sopranos podcast and I'd forgotten about something.

A lot of people say that Tony wasn't really under any threat at the end after Phil was gone since he had no more enemies. In "Kennedy and Heidi", Pauli was loving pissed that nobody showed for Nucci's wake and said he'd never forget it. He had tried to flip sides before with Johnny and Carmine. He seemed to suspect something when he and Tony went to Florida and went out on the boat. There's that final shot of him sunning himself all alone outside the pork store. I also think that deep down Tony (and Syl) knew that Tony ended Chris; his own flesh and blood.

So I dunno.

Seems like a reach, I admit, but with the NJ crew in a complete shambles and a huge power vacuum in NYC, you think it's possible Paulie would agree to a set up at the diner? I was trying to think of surviving members of the Jersey crew that might see the writing on the wall, knowing that they're all totally hosed, who would feel betrayed or simply powerless that might seek greener pastures.

The problem with Tony dying at the end is Butchie is kind of a coward. Would he have the balls to pull that off or try to? Patsy has motive but he's also closer to Tony than ever at the end. So I dunno with that one either. Paulie I could see but he wouldn't pull it off himself - he'd need New York.

The easiest answer is New York did it but Butchie just doesn't seem clever enough or ballsy enough to pull it off.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I don't think Paulie really has the initiative. He's a born follower. He whinges and sometimes he half-assedly plots or jockeys for position but I don't see him popping his skip, he just doesn't got the nous

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

stev posted:

Talking Sopranos has taught me that most of the cast outside the Soprano family had no idea who their characters were.

Right?

It's such a weird hit or miss podcast but the lack of insight is revealing. Or maybe not revealing I guess. I heard Schirripa asking what Micheal thought of his character's (Bobby's) motivations or feelings during one scene. I think it was Chris' wake. Something like "did Bobby seem interested or bothered by 'x'?" during one scene and I was like, motherfucker, YOU'RE doing the scene! How were YOU playing it? You tell US, man.

And wow, Lorraine Bracco sounded drunk/loaded and a little pissed off on whatever recent one she was on.

And, yeah, I don't think Paulie had anything to do with Tony getting shot in the diner at the end by the Members Only Guy :smug:. It was just something that popped in my head. I know Sirrico said his character could never be a "rat" but it didn't say anything about being a turncoat or switching teams.

Ginette Reno posted:

The problem with Tony dying at the end is Butchie is kind of a coward. Would he have the balls to pull that off or try to? Patsy has motive but he's also closer to Tony than ever at the end. So I dunno with that one either. Paulie I could see but he wouldn't pull it off himself - he'd need New York.

The easiest answer is New York did it but Butchie just doesn't seem clever enough or ballsy enough to pull it off.

That's kind of what I meant. If Paulie wanted to switch sides or jump on the one ship that was still floating, he'd be in the best position to help set Tony up. Was the guy who got his teeth busted out made? I guess at the end both NY and NJ are in a shambles but that would only up the desperation levels on both sides given the power vacuum.

I'm probably over thinking it but at least I'm still giving it more thought than Mike and Steve.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 13, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barry Foster posted:

I don't think Paulie really has the initiative. He's a born follower. He whinges and sometimes he half-assedly plots or jockeys for position but I don't see him popping his skip, he just doesn't got the nous

It's even easier because Tony wasn't shot. *Drives off into the night, car horn playing the theme from 'The Godfather'*

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Tony choked to death on the best onion rings in the state.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Some glorified rag-tag crew taking out the boss of one of the five families in broad daylight, in front of his wife? Even thinking about it gives me the agita. This can't stand. And proportionate response means to do it in front of his family too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bentacos posted:

Tony choked to death on the best onion rings in the state.

Well they all placed the whole drat coin shaped ring on their tongues and don't chew them so probably.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

Being a mob boss just means you exist in a world where someone has motive to kill you at all times. The number of people Tony has personally stolen from, threatened, or humiliated is enormous, and it only takes one person (or their family member or loved one) who refuses to let it go and cling to the slight to give some nobody motive to commit murder. There are Bevilacqua types, real dumbasses of the criminal underworld, in New York and New Jersey who can get the idea in their head that killing Tony is their way to wealth, fame, and power with the Five Families. And then there are the named characters like Paulie and Butchie who have motive, even if (as established) it's not really in their character. Tony's just a prominent figure in a world where problems are solved with extralegal violence, so there are lots of people who can murder him.

I think The Sopranos plays a little fast and loose with this (the iconic image of Tony fetching the paper in his bathrobe is extremely risky behavior for a boss), but I feel the ending was an acknowledgement that Tony's inevitably going to die violently and not for any specific reason. Setting the scene at a restaurant with his family echoes Joe Gallo's murder at Umberto's Clam Shack, which happened because an associate of a rival family mistakenly believed there was a hit out on Gallo. So there was no great conspiracy or anyone's actions catching up with them, just a twitchy idiot in a world of violence. Members Only Jacket, then, stands in for every uncountable threat Tony has to fear from now to whichever day he actually does catch a bullet (which could also be now).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Precambrian posted:

I think The Sopranos plays a little fast and loose with this (the iconic image of Tony fetching the paper in his bathrobe is extremely risky behavior for a boss), but I feel the ending was an acknowledgement that Tony's inevitably going to die violently and not for any specific reason. Setting the scene at a restaurant with his family echoes Joe Gallo's murder at Umberto's Clam Shack, which happened because an associate of a rival family mistakenly believed there was a hit out on Gallo. So there was no great conspiracy or anyone's actions catching up with them, just a twitchy idiot in a world of violence. Members Only Jacket, then, stands in for every uncountable threat Tony has to fear from now to whichever day he actually does catch a bullet (which could also be now).

Yeah I agree with you and I'm not even sure David Chase knows who shot Tony at the end.

I do like the thought of Tony getting killed because Butchie failed to communicate properly to all of the soldiers that the war was over. That'd go pretty well with the absurdity of a lot of the other hits in the series.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was junior, the dementia was him playing the long con

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gaius Marius posted:

We didn't hear anyone say Cazzate Malanga though. :shrug:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

it was the russian from pine barrens

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

That hitman would have been wearing a Varsity jacket.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It was Lou Dimagio and the Atwell Avenue boys. Chris and Silvio gave them a picture of Johnny Sack that also had Tony on it. They got the picture, lost it, reasoned they couldn't do the hit without it, then found it again years later and forgot which of the two guys they were supposed to kill.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

In a way, I think the Many Saints of Newark is gesturing at the Sopranos ending too - all the evidence initially points to there being one killer (Harold and his gang) when it was something almost nobody else could have guessed: a disgruntled Junior.

Tony getting popped could have been any number of people, or an accident like the Joey Gallo hit upthread.

That being said, Paulie feels like a stretch. He always seemed extremely personally loyal to Tony (the whole painting situation!) and even when he was playing footsie with NY, I always read that as him looking for a lateral move of some kind, not causing any trouble in NJ. Though, whether or not something like that was possible, unclear.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We'll get a movie in 10 years where at the end, Jr's Chinese roommate at the mental ward gets a call on the phone and a voice says " its done."

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

In the end the Vipers always get their man.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

banned from Starbucks posted:

In the end the Vipers always get their man.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

deepfaking the final scene so that instead of cutting to black, tony makes the "w-w-w-wwe're with the vipers" face and passes out in his onion rings

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

A comment on a yt clip of the scene where Chris tricks and sets up the two black hitmen after Tony demands he nix the hit on Carmine

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Final episode of Talking Sopranos is up. They interview David Chase again, who includes a couple tidbits. One thing he says, is from his POV, Ralphie definitely burned down the Pie-O-My's stables. I don't think thats any definitive view that clears up the ambiguity but there's that. He also, in the way he likes to complicate things, says he doesn't think Tony or the series gets any darker in the final season, but just more complicated.

Anyway, if you want to watch it here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxxpS9sCCLI

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

One thing he says, is from his POV, Ralphie definitely burned down the Pie-O-My's stables. ]

Fuckin slander you ask me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

IT WAS A FUCKIN' HORSE

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

trying to think of a way to phonetically sell the gag of ralphie saying "she was a whoo-ar" except it turns into horse at the end, and i guess some jokes just aren't meant to be written

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
But
SO
WHAT

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Apparently Gando auditioned for the role of Boggs in Shawshank. Imagine that now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Apparently Gando auditioned for the role of Boggs in Shawshank. Imagine that now

He woulda slayed that role. The guy they got was pretty good but Gando would have been just as good or better