Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

doingitwrong posted:

Not buying games stays winning.
I bought Mortal Shell on sale a few months back and haven't played it yet. Now it's on Gamepass. So my "buy on sale for a rainy day" habit is officially dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beat alan wake
Goddamn what a slog. Never want to fight another shadow man with huffin puffin slow rear end alan wake.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

TheAnomaly posted:

Arena had Argonians and Khajit, both of which were weird. They also had you recruit your companions from weird sleeping pods at the beginning of the game. Yeah, it was limited by the techonology of the time and wasn't Morrowind out there, but Morrowind is the high point in the series.

Elves were also all weird, dark elves werevn't just evil elves, Orcs weren't just corrupted elves or weirdo evil rape monsters. Wild elves were... wild. Most of this comes out in the tiny dialogues, the lovely jokes, and all the other little things that happened in Arena that were unusual at the time of lore dumps being the book and you being referred to read paragraphs.

They were literally just generic human-looking people in Arena. Did you not play the game? Yikes!

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Races_(Arena)

TheAnomaly posted:

Daggerfall introduced the Aedra/Daedra and their weird lore, like Malacath being shat out by Boethiah. It also had several factions that weren't generic fantasy and had odd endings, like the King of Worms eating the magical mcguffin you were after, or the big scary battlemage everyone thought would be out for revenge just stealing his magic back from the artifact he created so he could finally die.

And the main presentation of Arena is a series of fairly generic settings that looked very much like other fantasy games. In comparison you had the dark sun RPGs and others on PC at the same time that looked completely different. Again, Daggerfall's big thing was scale and size.

TheAnomaly posted:

It also introduced the Dwemer, although I don't think we knew much about them other than that were steampunk type creators and extinct.

They were just called Dwarves back then and none of the lore about them got really interesting until TES: Redguard and Morrowind.

TheAnomaly posted:

Battlespire was fairly generic, other than the lesser Daedra including things that looked downright angelic.

TheAnomaly posted:

Redguard introduced most of the lore books, like the dragon break one, and that delved deeply into the strange.

Yes.

TheAnomaly posted:

Up until Oblivion, the ES had always been weird. Yeah, Morrowind is the high point, but Arena and Daggerfall being "extremely generic" really doesn't do their oddness justice. When literally every other fantasy everything was LOTR or D&D based (which is itself heavily LOTR based) the ES series departed very heavily.

You don't, and haven't, read a lot of fantasy. I suggest you start with Appendix N and go from there.

It really, really feels like you're reaching super hard to find examples of what are two fairly generic slay goblins collect macguffins RPGs with a big fat emphasis on their size and not much else. You don't need to defend these games! They were both very successful, but to rewrite history and present them as exemplars of originality is terrible. It is a known, verified fact that with the development of Redguard they contracted writers to basically re-write most of the lore and make it more unique, and everyone agrees that it happened and was good. I like Daggerfall, bro, but its not the Tamriel we know.\

Professor Beetus posted:

Mechassault was great you fuckin nerd

Where did I say Mechassault was bad? I only played it in the last few months but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not as good as MW3 or Commander, but it's up there.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

You don't, and haven't, read a lot of fantasy. I suggest you start with Appendix N and go from there.

So, first off, we are talking about fantasy video games, not fantasy books. I've definitely read more fantasy than you, as anyone who suggest starting with Appendix N has their head so far up Gygax's decaying rear end in a top hat that they can't wouldn't know fantasy other than Swords and Sorcery if it bit them in the rear end. Appendix N is not a good list, it's a list of poo poo D&D creators like, and you're bringing it up in argument about how fantasy GAMES up until TES were mostly LOTR or D&D rip-offs. Then you bring up Darksun (a D&D game) that really wasn't all that unique - it built on the gold box strategy formula with better graphics, but literally followed the module that came with the Darksun box set. You could have at least mentioned the Mummys Curse, or the second Darksun game, because they at least didn't just follow published modules while building on established fantasy game formulas.

So instead of arguing with an imbecile on the internet, I'm going to say you obviously haven't played many classic fantasy games from before '95, so maybe you should actually start with Arena and go from there. Or don't because Arena isn't actually a good game, it's overly bloated and super random and the graphics are, in fact, fairly generic since they spent all their budget on size. Not that you understand how graphics work, or anything else for that matter.

Also, Mechassault is easily the best XBox live game on the original Box, you loving nerd.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I fuckin’ hate fantasy books/games/movies.

You can quit arguing, call me a dumbass, and keep winning.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just got my Series X hooked up and uh, is weird wifi a known issue on this thing? Like, nothing about this makes any sense. The 200mbps connection just seems to crawl on my series X and the reported speeds seem all wrong. My PS5 is 2 feet away and my phone and 2 laptops are in the same room and haven't had any issues. But the Xbox is so slow that the store lags out with the spinning circle for like 10 seconds before it even loads and I can't even check the speed in the settings because it's just stuck on the spinning circle. The only way to check is my DL speeds which are wacky as gently caress, is if I start downloading something. it seems to fluctuate and the time estimates make no sense. First thing I did was DL the dead space games cause I want to replay those and a couple of small indie games. Dead Space 1 downloads in like 2 minutes. Then DS2 starts Downloading and it's telling me it's fluctuating between 20 and 150mbps and still consistently giving me a 1 hour DL estimate until it settles on "60mbps" but still giving me like a 1 hour estimate for a game that should DL in 4 minutes or less.

I swear it's like I turned the thing on and everything was gravy and running smoothly for about 10 minutes and all of sudden I got a prompt while I was browsing gamepass to update the controller (which amazingly took like 5+minutes) then I immediately get a message that says I am not online (but I am) and then everything went to dogshit form there. It's weird as hell. I cross referenced a bunch of other devices to make sure it was just the Xbox and yup, everything else is fine. I restarted the Xbox twice, made sure there wasn't any apps running...but the network connection is friggin unusable. I'm worried that this is going to involve me fumbling around with a bunch of bullshit in my router that I barely understand again. Had to do that with my PS4 at one point and it was a huge pain in the rear end.

Also on a happier note I did not realize EA Play was included with Gamepass. Totally thought it was some paid add on. That makes a great deal even greater. drat.

Hope I can get this wifi poo poo resolved though. This is really bad

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

veni veni veni posted:

Just got my Series X hooked up and uh, is weird wifi a known issue on this thing? …
Hope I can get this wifi poo poo resolved though. This is really bad

My wifi is super lousy in my office where my series x is despite eero mesh etc. the only thing which has resolved it and made it useable is Ethernet.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It seems like literally every current console has questionable wifi.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

otter posted:

My wifi is super lousy in my office where my series x is despite eero mesh etc. the only thing which has resolved it and made it useable is Ethernet.

My wifi isn't lousy though. It's perfectly fine on every other device I have. Ethernet isn't really an option because the cable ports on the floor aren't activated so I have to put the router 1 floor up, but it's a non issue with everything else, outside of me losing a negligible amount of speed which doesn't bother me. This isn't like, palatably slower though. it's pretty much unusable. Like, with the PS5 or either of my laptops ,Wifi in this room boils down to me usually getting 120-180mbps instead of 200 but whatever. Meanwhile the Xbox is telling me I'm getting 100mbps DL speeds while taking a full hour to download a 10GB game. It doesn't make any sense.

I'll gently caress around with it tomorrow, who knows maybe it was just some stupid thing and it'll be fine. I'm definitely worried that it's some issue where the Xbox is not playing nice with my router because troubleshooting that poo poo is hell.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Snarky answer: nobody is taxing the PlayStation mirrors because ps5 has no games.
Actual diagnostic step: have you tried to stream an hd movie to see the speeds? It could possibly be an issue with the closest xbox mirror vs the device as a whole.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nah I had maybe 40 minutes to mess around with it before ultimately plopping into bed and poo poo posting for a while before I zonk out for the night. So hopefully I can get a better idea of whats going on in the coming days when I have some free time. Was a shocking first impression though. Really just hoping i get to spend the weekend playing it vs troubleshooting it.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

veni veni veni posted:

Just got my Series X hooked up and uh, is weird wifi a known issue on this thing?

My XSX won't even connect to my wifi network by manually setting it up or though the app.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Bit of a blast from the past I stumbled on today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWALEOfgkuI

Completely forgot about the voice masking on the og xbone

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

TheAnomaly posted:

Also, Mechassault is easily the best XBox live game on the original Box, you loving nerd.

I'd say Halo 2 was but my personal favorite XB1 game was a standup between Fusion Frenzy and Deathrow idk

everything else you wrote is just you seething and having to backpedal and lie like the dork you are since you said "fantasy everything" if you'd said "games" I would have said different things, but since you literally had to pretend you didn't say a thing you said I think we can close the book on your rhetorical skills. Good night kid, have fun looking through my post history or cyberstalking me in general because you got blown the gently caress out so hard you're either gonna walk away or find that your mind has slipped the bonds of rational thought and my destruction has become your only goal in life

im just kidding man, calm the gently caress down lmao. you're getting mad over nothing on a dying comedy forum

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I can't believe people are fighting in the Xbox thread!

Also, this is a great video, I shall watch it a second time!

hanyolo posted:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hanyolo posted:

lmao, yeah, the PS3 and PS4 had that as well. always a riot when meeting random people in game chat

vid reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5UN0P0hmro

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 1, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whoever put that bluedog poster in the background had some taste

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

The Xbox can sometimes slow down downloads if there is a particular app or game running in the background.

If you go to the downloads queue, it will often tell you if this is the case and shut down any program that may be causing that.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Know how I knew it would be on Game Pass before this announcement? It's a game whose player count seems to have fallen off a cliff, and I was about to buy it discounted :)

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Know how I knew it would be on Game Pass before this announcement? It's a game whose player count seems to have fallen off a cliff, and I was about to buy it discounted :)

I thought this game was good, though? What happened? Bad progression? Skinflint DLC?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I thought this game was good, though? What happened? Bad progression? Skinflint DLC?

No crossplay :argh:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgSr9tuJS18

quote:

Join Game Director Todd Howard, Studio Director Angela Browder and Art Director Matt Carofano as they discuss how Bethesda Game Studios’ ambitions, passions and history have shaped the studio and how they are looking to the future with Starfield

:todd:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Saw that video doing the rounds in my feeds. Great stuff, looking forward to it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just got a bad omen that they're gonna put Elon Musk in Starfield.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

maybe as a bad guy you can shoot

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The main villain will be called Teflon B. Spunk. Quote me 11/11/22

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Johnny B. Spunk

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Game Pass Dates!

COMING:
December 2: ANVIL (Console and PC), Archvale (Cloud, Console, and PC), Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Console and PC), Lawn Mowing Simulator (Cloud, Console, and PC), Rubber Bandits (Cloud, Console, and PC), Stardew Valley (Cloud, Console, and PC), Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector (Cloud, Console, and PC)
December 7: Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator (Cloud, Console, and PC)
December 8: Halo Infinite (Cloud, Console, and PC)
December 9: One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 (Cloud, Console, and PC)
December 14: Aliens: Fireteam Elite (Cloud, Console, and PC), Among Us (Console)

GOING:
Leaving December 15:
Beholder (Cloud and Console)
The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan (Console and PC)
Guacamelee! 2 (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Wilmot’s Warehouse (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Unto The End (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (Cloud, Console, and PC)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dang I was hoping CHORVS would be a day 1 Gamepass deal.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I've heard Final Fantasy XIII-2 is pretty good.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
neat, I dont have to pay for Battleshitter

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

neat, I dont have to pay for Battleshitter

Man-hole Sexor.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

elf help book posted:

I've heard Final Fantasy XIII-2 is pretty good.

For some reason I think you may be a biased source

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is Destiny leaving game pass for good or is it just leaving because the collected edition comes out that week?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Def gonna try lawn mower simulator because I have a feeling it’s another one of those things that I hate doing in real life that will amuse me in video game form. Like chopping wood, driving, or fishing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I played the beta and it's exactly what you'd expect. It's awesome. The perfect Game Pass game.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

TheAnomaly posted:

Steel Battalion exists so no.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

best original xbox live game was crimson skies

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

360 but RIP Chromehounds

I'd love to see another of those and Mechassault 3, somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Is there a decent wireless controller in existence for the OG Xbox? I'd be tempted to hook mine up if my couch wasn't 15 feet away and googling for wireless Xbox controllers only turns up Xbone and 360 stuff