Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

Feeling better every day, but now that we're getting into the weekend I'm doing the "uh I really wanna play, but should I?" conversation in my head.

I have a game tonight and I was having that conversation but really I have not been feeling better every day so it's probably more adult of me to take advantage of the thanksgiving week off and maybe be healed in 2 weeks vs skating tonight when I can barely hold a stick and risk making it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm still playing. COVID makes me nervous but my risk profile is low and my mental health was getting into a pretty disastrous place without it. I'm part of three different shinny groups with a pretty solid overlap of players and it's great. I play with my wife and my dad and some good friends and I like pretty much everyone in the wider group we play with so it's really nice. I'm also delighted to not be playing in any leagues. The compete level is great but there's 0 bullshit when everyone is friends.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I feels to me like we're long past the point where it's possible to ever get rid of covid, it's gonna be a new more deadly flu that we have to (try to) live with for the rest of our lives. gently caress you very much, humanity.

I'm still super reluctant to go to restaurants or movies or anything and will continue to wear a mask whenever I'm out, but hockey is one risk I've decided I can deal with with because it's either enjoy hockey or hide in my house and hate life more every day.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Get vaccinated, get a booster, wear a mask when it’s reasonable, but like you said this isn’t ever going away.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

xzzy posted:

I feels to me like we're long past the point where it's possible to ever get rid of covid, it's gonna be a new more deadly flu that we have to (try to) live with for the rest of our lives. gently caress you very much, humanity.

I'm still super reluctant to go to restaurants or movies or anything and will continue to wear a mask whenever I'm out, but hockey is one risk I've decided I can deal with with because it's either enjoy hockey or hide in my house and hate life more every day.

This basically. Hockey gives me exercise, community, scheduled activity, something to work towards (not sucking, the eternal pursuit), etc. The only way I could do without it is if I got involved in another sport. I stayed fairly active through lockdown but riding a bike or lifting weights alone isn't remotely the same thing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

You can handle these things in spurts too. I played for a bit after first getting vaxxed and then stopped again for a while when cases were going up in my area and when I read about vaccine efficacy dropping. The booster (and cases going down where I live) has made me feel comfortable enough to start playing again. So to me the risk level can vary and if it gets to a point again where I think it's too much I would probably stop. And yeah I do pretty much mask up everywhere but hockey.

I think mental health is an important factor to consider in relation to covid safety. Obviously there was a point pre vaccine where you were a loving maniac if you tried to do anything but with boosters etc the risk is much more manageable and I think if hockey keeps you happy it's maybe an important thing to be doing. Even me as introverted as I am still needs a social outlet and I still need a fun outlet for exercise and hockey is both of those things. I genuinely did feel a lot more depressed daily when I wasn't playing.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

14-2-1 currently with like 2 legitimate D-men rostered. We constantly have to rotate forwards back to play D, and our goalie is old, fat, with bad knees. I have no idea how we're rattled off so many wins. It's almost guaranteed we go down 2 or 3-0 within the first 5 minutes. Signature move for our goalie. Lets in 2 of the first 3 shots on net, and plays well after that somehow. We've come back to win so many games this season it's wild.

Even after playing for 6 months now, my stickhandling is still poo poo after taking like a year off for Covid. It's frustrating.
That is the worst. I was on a bad beer team the last time I played hockey in like a real league but we had been together forever and just liked playing so we didn't care that much about losing every week. But the games where we were in it and playing well and then have the goalie give up 2 of the first 3 shots were such a morale killer. Good on you guys for powering through. We were just too old and slow for the league as a team so we would be like emptying the bucket to keep a tie game going most of the time so we didn't get to win too many and starting off in the hole 2-0 like halfway through the 1st was never a winning formula for us.

I have basically played since the rinks have been open over the last year or so. When my group first went back I gave it a couple weeks to see if anything happened to the guys that went back right away and nobody got it. The first week I went I was basically feeling out the room and there weren't any guys that were like, you know this is all a hoax, this all a fake plandemic, you know that right? Everybody sounded like they were doing all the same stuff I was doing to not catch it so I felt fairly comfortable being around them. The rinks shutdown like right around this time last year in Massachusetts for a couple weeks and I ended up not playing for like 3 months just to get through the holidays and the new year knowing that people would be most likely gathering around other people a little more frequently so I just stayed away until late Jan or early Feb this year and I have been back ever since. As far as I know, nobody we play with has caught it during the time we've been playing.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Got what ended up being the game-winner tonight. My teammate had a breakaway with a defender and me behind him. The defender hooked my teammate, but he got a shot off as he was falling to the ice. The goalie went down for it and blocked it, the rebound going right to me on the other side of the net, so I just flipped it in. My teammate didn't know I scored because he was looking to see if the ref had his arm up for the hook (he did). But then he heard our bench cheer and realized I scored behind him.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Also the sweater for my new team finally arrived :swoon:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Our order for new players showed up this week too.. gently caress yeah pandemic delays. An order that would have taken 3 weeks in 2019 took 5 weeks in 2021.

And then as they show up our new goalie suddenly piped up that he wants a personal jersey too. Guess what dude, you get to wait. And pay more because you missed the group buy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This guy is a hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INQ9Dy99zsk

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

drat. They actually make masks like that that are intended for use? Or was that guy just totally taking his life in his hands with a novelty goalie mask? It doesn't look like anybody in that group had a 90mph shot but I still wouldn't want to take one in the face. Had some awesomely aggressive kick saves though which I enjoyed.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I've been playing the whole time.

New team almost always goes to the bar afterward. Which is cool.

Unfortunately, some go to the bar before the game.

On that note, guy on the team and his friend went to the bar before the game, Frank some Christmas Ales, then showed up to the game.

We were up like 6-0 in the second period and the pre-gamer implores everyone to just take it easy on the other team for the rest of the game and not be dicks.

Other team was frustrated and were playing more physical than they had to.

Anyway, about two minutes left in the game, puck is frozen by their goalie. Whistle blows. I see a player skate towards pre gamer like they're jawing at each other and pre gamer shoves him down.

All of a sudden, the rest of their team on the ice tackles pre gamer and they're dog piled, punching at him and poo poo.

The rest of our guys on the ice are trying to pull the pile off.

Someone kicked at pre gamer. Nothing bad came of that, but when pre gamer finally got back on his skates, they were still trying to scuffle. Pre gamer swings his arms and performs an atomic tomahawk chop with his stick on the helmet of one of the guys loving with him.

Things got out of hand again. Some last who works there got into mommy mode and started turning the lights on and off.

Pre gamer and one other dude got kicked out of the game.

Of course, there was an argument outside the rink with a bunch of people, some rear end in a top hat from the other team almost popped an artery in an epic 'playing the victim' performance like he wasn't one of said dudes trying to get in on a gang bang.

All in all, pre gamer got a one game and some other shithead on the other team got 6 games.

Pre gamer is never gonna live down the 'take it easy/get in fight' poo poo.

Other than that, the team that was new last year just got moved up from the lowest division because they got too good by: kicking players off their team and practicing at least twice a week, every week.

They also all bought matching warm up uniforms.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Doctor Butts posted:

Pre gamer swings his arms and performs an atomic tomahawk chop with his stick on the helmet of one of the guys loving with him.

All in all, pre gamer got a one game and some other shithead on the other team got 6 games.

Didn't realize Shanahan was handling beer league discipline, too.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

bigbillystyle posted:

drat. They actually make masks like that that are intended for use? Or was that guy just totally taking his life in his hands with a novelty goalie mask? It doesn't look like anybody in that group had a 90mph shot but I still wouldn't want to take one in the face. Had some awesomely aggressive kick saves though which I enjoyed.

There was a company called Olympia Composites that used to make older style masks with updated materials (expensive!).
But still there was a warning that you can only improve so much on a mask that's right up against your face.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

bigbillystyle posted:

with those shooters dude probably would've been just fine without a mask

i played with a guy years ago who still wore his old-timey mask. he played AAA-level back in the early 80s and wore one of these numbers: https://www.hockeymasks.com/details.html?msk=67#67 (that site says their masks are just as game ready as their predecessors btw)

which i think is now technically illegal but whatever, the dude was old and was not changing his ways

anyway he always said that mask protected him better than the cage ones, which may well have been true before they started using carbon fiber and crap.

i hit him in the face with a slapper once and he was unimpressed

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Unfortunately, some go to the bar before the game.

hey gently caress you buddy, pre-gaming rules

2-3 tops though

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Doctor Butts posted:

They also all bought matching warm up uniforms.

So they change jerseys after the five minute warm up period? Do they bring them to the bench or go back to the dressing room? I have questions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Please, a group that tryhard buys the ice slot before their game so they get an hour to do the full NHL treatment and get a fresh cut before the game.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Half our team's jerseys every week are people with blank white jerseys and black tape for the numbers.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Bradf0rd posted:

So they change jerseys after the five minute warm up period? Do they bring them to the bench or go back to the dressing room? I have questions.

Oops. That's not what I meant. They all have matching team tracksuits.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
that's probably worse actually

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Last league I was in one team bought team bags. Like the canvas ones with your name and number on them like a highschool team.

I guess that's all fine if you wanted the bag, personally I don't like bags that don't have exterior pockets on the ends so that style bag is not my favorite. I also would feel kind of weird if like my bag was out at home or something and somebody was like oh cool you play for like a real team or something? What league are you in? Uh...it's just the 21 plus beer league, that only has 4 teams in it, down the street...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And here I thought my team was overdoing it by getting a nice AK jersey with an embroidered crest.

Everyone loving loves it too, whenever we get new skaters I gotta put another order in. It's your $70 dudes, a $10 jersey is just as effective but I guess you gotta have a style.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We use Sublimation Kings. We ended up buying so many that they created a separate product page for our specific jerseys and socks, so I just send new dudes the links to them and they buy them instead of me organizing a group order every season.

Of course, some dolt (who has been wearing a loaner set for like 4 years now) put their name on the back of their jersey not thinking about it. He's the only one on the team in the past decade who has done that, so he catches poo poo all the time for it.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Ok team, what's the best conversation to have with a player who has allegedly taken up smoking crack (again) and abusing his (now ex) girlfriend less than a year after being released from prison, about not being able to play on our team until they clean themselves up and get help?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New season of Letterkenny sounds lit

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Tonight we had an early game and won a fun back-and-forth affair and I had three assists and we had beers in the parking lot while it lightly snowed on our heads.

#blessed

e: I also learned that a player on the other team who has "MOOSE" as his name on his jersey and uses a wooden stick and no mask/visor was the local weather guy for a large TV channel for about 20 years. He was always clean shaven on TV but has a salt and pepper beard now, so he looks 20 years older and I figured a TV personality would want to protect their face.

ee: omg also signed up as a sub with another team who has people play part-time with us and is cool? #doubleblessed

Pleads fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 2, 2021

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hockles posted:

Ok team, what's the best conversation to have with a player who has allegedly taken up smoking crack (again) and abusing his (now ex) girlfriend less than a year after being released from prison, about not being able to play on our team until they clean themselves up and get help?

Probably just tell them the team is concerned about their behavior and that they need to seek help. If he's abusing his GF you may just want to cut him loose.

I'm sympathetic to people struggling with addiction, but they need to want to get help and you have to draw the line somewhere.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

We had a guy who was put on our team directly out of prison.

After his personality and mannerisms became apparent I told him it was my team and I didn’t think he was a good fit and that the team agreed. If he wanted to discuss how he could make the fit better I was open to it. But changing the harmony of 12 other people to fit him and his rough edges wasn’t an option.

He left in the first period the next game after 2 horrific blue line turnovers and never returned, slurred his lawyer on Facebook like 6 weeks later and a year later went back to prison.

But I had to take the responsibility as it was my team and did not want to give him an out to pry onto others for a different decision. With him it was important that one person own the decision and was the point of contact and it was me.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!

xzzy posted:

And here I thought my team was overdoing it by getting a nice AK jersey with an embroidered crest.

Everyone loving loves it too, whenever we get new skaters I gotta put another order in. It's your $70 dudes, a $10 jersey is just as effective but I guess you gotta have a style.

I mean, sometimes you just wanna look pretty right? Honestly I love seeing teams with nice matching jerseys, track suits or matching bags feels like kids rep hockey.

I still want to see random beer leaguer show up in a suit some time, not because they left work late or something, but just because.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get that, but I've done all the orders and in the four years (well, five, but 2020 didn't happen) I've been buying jerseys for this team we've collectively spent about $2800 on jerseys, and some of these guys only played for one season.

That seems like a lot of money for a shirt.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
current team is just plain white practice jerseys with plain black lettering across the front and black numbers. I think they were like $15, pretty ideal.

e: one of my past teams got fancy sublimated jerseys and they were ok but like $80 and I kinda prefer the lighter practice jerseys anyway.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
I love having nice Beer League jerseys as a keepsake.

I also love wearing them for pick up and seeing another guy wearing one from the same team from the yesteryears and start a convo (who had joined at a different time).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Last night was a tense game, we built up a 3-2 lead and they started keeping their best players on the ice for the last 5 minutes. This was after a 4-5 loss last week that we really should have won and everyone was a bit salty about the performance, so I think that played in to it.

Through zero discussion at all we developed the 1-4 trap. Fling the puck out of the zone, one forechecker would rush out to try and force a bad pass and everyone else chilled out at the blue line waiting to mob whoever got the puck. I don't know if that's sound hockey strategy but it worked and I found it hilarious.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Be careful, you might be getting calls from Ottawa or Montreal to go behind the bench.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
I still am only playing pickup (I still haven't had a full year as Covid shut everything down right before we swapped from winter group to summer group) but finally feel like I'm not a liability on the ice anymore. I switched from playing goalie from age 6-21 and then taking a decade or so off playing all together and came back playing forward.

My skating still sucks, especially as outside edges aren't really a thing as a goalie. But I finally feel like I'm in the play and also not a hazard to someone else heading hard into a corner or the boards. (One of the heavier but shorter guys on the ice, so a lot of concentrated mass). I feel where I really shine is annoying people with my mismatched colored gear, and man do I have a blast out there every night

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been playing hockey for like 7 years and I still think outside edges are a myth

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

I get that, but I've done all the orders and in the four years (well, five, but 2020 didn't happen) I've been buying jerseys for this team we've collectively spent about $2800 on jerseys, and some of these guys only played for one season.

That seems like a lot of money for a shirt.

Let’s be real, your team’s sweaters are fuckin’ dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I played hockey tonight.
After I ran a marathon yesterday.

My legs are loving dead.