Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

its HIM posted:

The questioner posted a response in the AMA thread which, I poo poo you not, was that they deliberately avoided any information about the show in an attempt to avoid potential spoilers, so “how was I supposed to know?”

Hold up. They've read the books, and expected a 1:1 adaptation, but avoided reading anything about the show. To avoid spoilers. About a show based on a series they've read and expected a 1:1 adaptation.

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Devorum posted:

Hold up. They've read the books, and expected a 1:1 adaptation, but avoided reading anything about the show. To avoid spoilers. About a show based on a series they've read and expected a 1:1 adaptation.

What?

Don't go on social media. Humanity isn't equipped to hear the dumbass opinions of millions of random people everyday. Imagine walking around everyday and hearing all the birds talking to you and affirming everything you feel.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Devorum posted:

What?

The Wheel turns, and what was old and irrelevant becomes relevant once again:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/04/27/the-song-of-something-something

Edit: I like the optimism in that comic, the assumption that the books would stay ahead of the TV series until the end.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I wasn't sure how I felt about this song when I first heard it. Maybe it was because it was sort of "southern-y"? A lifetime of watching fantasy films has led me to believe everyone should have vaguely British accents...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSOmKtBdV2w

But I've watched it at least 11 times today. It's so hauntingly beautiful and sad. I love everything about this scene. Especially the way he just gets up and leaves at the end like a total boss.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
More like Thom Waits

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Grundulum posted:

The Wheel turns, and what was old and irrelevant becomes relevant once again:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/04/27/the-song-of-something-something

Edit: I like the optimism in that comic, the assumption that the books would stay ahead of the TV series until the end.

But now we have an example of what happens when showrunners decide to deviate from source and improvise.
Why would anyone worry about WoT improvising after seeing the genius of GoT season 8?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It's the difference between an editor and a ghostwriter. Either can be good or bad. The creative team behind GoT was a pretty drat good editor but couldn't hack it as ghostwriters. In retrospect, they should have brought on some new talent to adapt the books.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Pyromancer posted:

But now we have an example of what happens when showrunners decide to deviate from source and improvise.
Why would anyone worry about WoT improvising after seeing the genius of GoT season 8?

we have the same example from the WOT team in the very last episode, which ruled

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It's the difference between an editor and a ghostwriter. Either can be good or bad. The creative team behind GoT was a pretty drat good editor but couldn't hack it as ghostwriters. In retrospect, they should have brought on some new talent to adapt the books.

That does make sense. :haw:

I would have asked if any of the writing team had responded to Dave Hill's input with that legendary phrase.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

buffalo all day posted:

we have the same example from the WOT team in the very last episode, which ruled

And which was written by Dave Hill!

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I don't think they personally write individual episodes.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Collateral posted:

he's got the credit. not sure how their writer's room specifically works but i believe that generally means he wrote the base script before it no doubt was revised by a million people

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Collateral posted:

He's credited on the episode as "written for television by Dave Hill". I assume that means he was the lead writer for the episode.

The end credits also list Celine Song as "staff writer."

Plus,

https://twitter.com/sarahenakamura/status/1464408095979819010?s=20

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I though they just raffled the credits. No one person writes an entire episode. That's crazy talk.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Collateral posted:

I though they just raffled the credits. No one person writes an entire episode. That's crazy talk.

again no idea how their specific process works but people do write entire episodes routinely in tv production, it's not like it's some insurmountable task

like they get assigned to do an episode that's already been broken by the room, then their written product is the first serious draft that gets revised

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 1, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah TV writing is collaborative process but each episode will still have one person taking the lead in putting the script together

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey a big part of getting way too into a TV show is convincing each other that we can tell individual writers' styles

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
For most scripted shows they work out major season beats in the writers room and then individuals (or pairs) will write episodes. Those episodes are heavily reworked or rewritten in the room, but the original writer comes up with what is essentially a first draft of the episode and still has to be responsible for a certain percentage of the writing to get credit, I believe it's 33%.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Hey a big part of getting way too into a TV show is convincing each other that we can tell individual writers' styles

Works for books, too. Some people complained that Brandon Sanderson whiffed on characterization in the final three books, only to have him come out and say “yeah, some of those passages you all are complaining about? Those are Jordan originals.”

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Grundulum posted:

Works for books, too. Some people complained that Brandon Sanderson whiffed on characterization in the final three books, only to have him come out and say “yeah, some of those passages you all are complaining about? Those are Jordan originals.”

That was one of my favorite bits on thrones, in the scene where Brienne fights the bear in Harrenhall. People were whinging left right and center about "The CGI for the bear was terrible!!!"

It was an actual real rear end bear.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Grundulum posted:

To be fair, generally what was happening there was that they were Jordan rough drafts that he hadn't had time to polish, but that were close enough to "final" that Sanderson didn't want to make major changes. So people saw the flaws, assumed they were Sanderson being bad, and got whiny.

Sanderson isn't bad, or at least not trivially bad in that way! But his writing style is significantly different from Jordan's. You usually can tell which passage is which but not based on quality as such, more things like word choice (e.g., Jordan never uses the word "politics") or for lack of a better term "camera angle" (Jordan always writes very specifically from a given character's perspective; Sanderson moves the camera about more like a movie director).

Gwaihir posted:

That was one of my favorite bits on thrones, in the scene where Brienne fights the bear in Harrenhall. People were whinging left right and center about "The CGI for the bear was terrible!!!"

It was an actual real rear end bear.

Yeah there were similar complaints about the trolloc CGI and they're like 90% practical effects.

Apparently one big issue is that Amazon's compression algorithm for streaming is not great so a lot of the complaints about the show were due to that

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 1, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Anyway,

https://twitter.com/PrimeVideoIN/status/1466044412992102402?s=20

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Apparently one big issue is that Amazon's compression algorithm for streaming is not great so a lot of the complaints about the show were due to that

I do notice a lot of shadow banding stuff in dark scenes when streaming. I'd really like to be able to get higher bitrate versions of these eps, especially considering all my screens are stuff like Plasma or OLED that are specifically good for stuff like this. Shadar logoth was pretty notable here, it just felt a bit muddy.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You usually can tell which passage is which but not based on quality as such, more things like word choice (e.g., Jordan never uses the word "politics")
I'm like 95% sure he actually does use it in book 4 or 5 or something because I just reread them and remembered people having made this point before when encountering the word :goonsay:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Yeah same I'd read that post in the middle of the books and once primed to notice it saw it multiple times in books prior to 12 lol

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

For most scripted shows they work out major season beats in the writers room and then individuals (or pairs) will write episodes. Those episodes are heavily reworked or rewritten in the room, but the original writer comes up with what is essentially a first draft of the episode and still has to be responsible for a certain percentage of the writing to get credit, I believe it's 33%.

Ah ok thats it, there are some SAG rules about it I'm sure.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rand will use his Superpower to easily win this contest for Takeshi Castle gameshow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqGix8fTKv8

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Winning Takeshi's Castle? He must be the Chosen One!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

I do notice a lot of shadow banding stuff in dark scenes when streaming. I'd really like to be able to get higher bitrate versions of these eps, especially considering all my screens are stuff like Plasma or OLED that are specifically good for stuff like this. Shadar logoth was pretty notable here, it just felt a bit muddy.

Yeah it’s kinda weird IMO that for one of their premier shows (that they dumped a poo poo load of money into) they didn’t significantly up the bitrate.

Like it looks ok on my 4K ATV but the Apple TV+ shows look significantly better.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it’s kinda weird IMO that for one of their premier shows (that they dumped a poo poo load of money into) they didn’t significantly up the bitrate.

Like it looks ok on my 4K ATV but the Apple TV+ shows look significantly better.

From real world tests looks like Apple TV has one of the higher bitrates for 4K streaming:
https://samagame.com/00/en/which-st...ther-platforms/

Foundation looked really amazing in 4K

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I was wondering what’s up with that. I noticed some crappy looking shadows and such on my OLED with an Apple TV 4K and wondered if I had something misconfigured. Can confirm that foundation is stunning on it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

rafikki posted:

I was wondering what’s up with that. I noticed some crappy looking shadows and such on my OLED with an Apple TV 4K and wondered if I had something misconfigured. Can confirm that foundation is stunning on it

Yeah I honestly had to go in and check my settings because I thought something was wrong. Guess not!

I’d definitely be interested in seeing this show on Blu Ray or something.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Rarity posted:

Winning Takeshi's Castle? He must be the Chosen One!

Right you are, Ken!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The real test for being the Dragon Reborn ?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Unusually strong dick & balls vibes from the tower there.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

etalian posted:

The real test for being the Dragon Reborn ?

When you think about it Takeshi's Castle is the closest we're ever going to get to real life Squid Games

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

withak posted:

Unusually strong dick & balls vibes from the tower there.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rarity posted:

When you think about it Takeshi's Castle is the closest we're ever going to get to real life Squid Games

Especially how most of the Takeshi's Castle games were designed to thin the herd in the most hilarious ways possible and were games of chance.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rarity posted:

Actually some youtuber did a squid game with squibs instead of bullets if you lose. Put up like $458 grand for the winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Just watched the first four episodes with my wife, and we decided to stick with it.

- Intro/credits is derivative of GoT broadly, but the weaving metaphor is a nice touch and the visuals are quite striking.
- The Moraine opening was clumsy. Either the Foretelling or the original prologue would have been far better. At least it was quick; "momentum" in general seems to be a thing they were going for. I hope it slows down once in a while and gives things time to breathe.
- Emond's Field was strangely jumbled ethnically for a place that's been an isolated, provincial backwater for 2,000 years, so far off the beaten path that the yearly trader visit ("omg an outsider!") is the cause of excitement. It was nice that everyone in the show wasn't white, since Jordan always went out of his way to emphasize how mixed the world as a whole was, but I would have preferred if they were consistent in the village: all SE Asian, all black, whatever. Admittedly a quibble, along with fantasy English accents for all.
- That Two Rivers bow didn't seem all that impressive.
- The post-apocalyptic window dressing is nice.
- They've removed most of what makes Nynaeve annoying, which has also served to make her a bit more bland. Overall I think it's an improvement, even if I wish she was a bit more thorny.
- Where is Moraine getting rumours of Ta'veren in the equivalent of Boise Idaho from that would cause her to divert to such an out of the way place on her quest, especially since no one actually in Boise seems to have any idea that it's the case because nothing is happening there along those lines? It's lazy writing for the sake of convenience and I hope not a sign of things to come.
- I enjoyed Dana's motivation for being a Darkfriend; it felt pretty rooted in her and her place, even if it's the reasoning of another as we learn later.
- Matt staring at the shadow and saying "I see you..." was a great bit. I like Matt in general here. (As an aside, his finding a dagger in Shadar Logoth makes me wonder who actually looted a demonic hellhole like that, since the place seems stripped to the bone; certainly it wasn't the place itself, which doesn't seem to touch non-organics.)

The changes made so far vs the books seem solid to me. Making the Dragon possibly male or female is a simple expedient to enlarge the potential number of candidates and thus keep non-book watchers guessing; the writing is clearly leaning into throwing out red herrings on this and generally making the mystery a bigger deal than any book reader would expect. Perrin having a wife and killing her was an interesting choice rather than just making him have the motivation out of general personality characteristic reasons. More screentime to Logain makes sense in that he'll be easier to remember down the road vs. having him showing up however many episodes or seasons later and being only supported by a "hey, remember that false Dragon dude we briefly mentioned as being captured offscreen at the show's beginning?". No ageless Aes Sedai is not surprising, considering what a pain in the rear end that would have been to implement. Making the cast older changes the overall tone and allows them to have more capable actors. And so on. The only thing I miss is Thom's fabulous moustaches; I expected some serious Sam Elliott energy. Give the guy some facial hair you cowards.

My biggest complaint is that the show generally lacks good dialogue. It's serviceable, but not memorable, and some of the bits are outright clunky. It moves, but it doesn't sing: people won't be quoting this show, making a lot of memes of it, etc to the same degree. People talk about GoT actors like Peter Dinklage and how good they were, but a lot of what made characters like that memorable were not the actors (as good as they often were) but the lines put in their mouths or the story beats surrounding them. WoT looks to have the story beats, but not the lines. Mostly I hope they hire better writers to give people some memorable dialogue. Jordan was not the same calibre of writer as Martin in that regard, and so writers have less to draw off of.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 1, 2021