Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Here is my gripe for the week that may amuse some and earn others. I finally made it to the lone lands and got to the forsaken inn, drat there’s a lot of quests here. Wait what is this one that has me investigate the wailing from the basement, that sounds cool as hell.

It’s making me travel to an instance but doesn’t give me the group finder interface, must be like all of the other instanced quests. I’m doing this rad quest and it’s so different from anything I’ve done with the traps, unique class mechanics, riddles. It reminds me of DDO and I’m all about it.

After about an hour and maybe two deaths, I get to the end, great, I’m finally about to solve this and the whole thing took a lot longer than I was planning on a quest to take.

Queue the final boss fight and he just kills me in 4 hits and is literally impossible to beat at level 22, I learn from some googling because it just throws you into rank 3, which apparently you can’t even solo at level 70+. This really ended up making me mad enough to just log off for a couple of days.

Why put a level 20ish into an unbeatable instance with no warning at all of the difficulty or any indication it’s a group quest? It didn’t even bring up the instance finder like a skirmish does which might have triggered some warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I'm not familiar with all of the instancing, but did you try to solo group raid content?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Inn of the Forsaken is a 3 man dungeon, it just happens that it is mostly puzzle based so you can solo most of it before hitting a wall at the two bosses. My first time in I couldn't handle the spawning skeletons alone so I went to the web and found it it was meant for small groups. It scales up with you from 20 to 140.

If I remember right its also randomized so if you are a completionist who wants all the deeds and collections, you have to run it many many times.

You might be able to use the instance finder to manually set it to 20 then solo it when you are higher level. I did that for Fornost.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I tried for months to get a group for that the first time I found it. As far as I can tell no one runs those three men, which is a pitty because it looks like a fun one.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I know I solo’d that Forsaken Inn one as a bear somewhere in the lvl 20’s range. I probably set it to a few levels lower than I was.

The traps killed me a few times, but I might have managed the final boss on the first try. Just a lot of kiting and hit and run tactics with the bear’s mitigation and healing.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Glass of Milk posted:

One thing I hate is the utterly terrible active click areas for quests, but funding out that you can use "del" to target them and "u" to perform the action (post a sign, etc) has improved my life immeasurably.

I have a lifetime sub and have played the game off and on for 14 years, and honestly it has taken me up until a couple months ago to learn the following:

right click on the name of the thing you want to interact with, not the actual object (unless the object has correct collision)

Obviously, this requires names to be on to work (i think it's 'v'?). There are some stupid flowers or other things you have to do in some of the seasonal content that I was fighting with when I finally figured that out. :doh:

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I tried for months to get a group for that the first time I found it. As far as I can tell no one runs those three men, which is a pitty because it looks like a fun one.

So we're running it tomorrow right? I'll get my Loremaster to 20 if people want to group up

Could also use a kin invite on Beakbeak to the goon kin if people are active

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Regarding lootboxes, I've come across a method of getting 3-4 keys for about 2 gold and 30 mins of actual playtime followed by about 1hr30 of AFK farming if you are a subscriber with an old account.

If you have a 3+ year old account, any new character will get 3 Black Steel Keys from the 3-year Giftbox. 7+ year old accounts will also get an extra one from the 7-year Giftbox. You need to be level 20 to use them. The quickest way to 20 that I've found so far is to:
  • Create a Man or Hobbit Hunter and complete the Archet intro (approx 30 mins)
  • Head straight to Bree and pick up Yeoman, Woodsman or Historian at the Crafting Hall
  • Pick up your Subscriber's Jug from the NPC at the Boar Fountain
  • Head to the fields at the northern edge of Bree
  • Buy loads of seeds (I do about a thousand each for Apprentice-Expert then 1,500+ for Artisan) from the grocer and plant them 1,000 at a time. The Subscriber's Jug speeds up crafting time and stops any durability wear on your tools meaning you don't have to move from your spot.
  • Put Netflix on and wait
I spent an afternoon watching Kingdom on Netflix and used up some lootboxes that were sat on an alt. I got three Heartwood mounts, three Autumn Stag pets, 4/5 pieces of the new Heartwood set and a bunch of other crap which I disenchanted using the Flame of Ancalamir for enough Motes of Splendour and Enchantment to buy a three-piece suit and a dog for my hobbit main. As my highest level character is only level 34, I think this is probably the only way I can get motes for now.

piano chimp fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 25, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

piano chimp posted:

Regarding lootboxes, I've come across a method of getting 3-4 keys for 4 gold and 30 mins of actual playtime followed by about 1hr30 of AFK farming if you are a subscriber.

if you have a 3+ year old account, a

How do they calculate that? Because I spooled up my account in 2016 and I've only got the 2 year box.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Cyrano4747 posted:

How do they calculate that? Because I spooled up my account in 2016 and I've only got the 2 year box.

I found this post from a dev via the wiki but I still don't really understand it to be honest!

quote:

1. Has it always been that you need to log in during the anniversary in order to be eligible for the gift that year to "count"?

The answer is yes, but the way the system awards gifts has changed several times over the years. Up to a certain year it procced based on time since account creation, but after about Year 9 it began incrementing based on the last annual check of your account, and gives you the next in line. So, if you picked up Year 12 last year, you will get Year 13 this year, etc. Yes, though, you DO need to log into the game at least once during the year in order to increment your award and pick up the annual gift. The awards are account-based, so once you log into one of your characters it will increment for the account and put that year's reward on your account.

I created my account at launch but only get up to the 10 year box, I guess because I didn't log in for a few years.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

piano chimp posted:

I found this post from a dev via the wiki but I still don't really understand it to be honest!

I created my account at launch but only get up to the 10 year box, I guess because I didn't log in for a few years.

Well that would explain it. Womp womp.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

The Black Friday sale is on with Minas Morgul and War of the Three Peaks being 85% and 60% off in the real-money store. I picked up both as I'm interested in the story and extra missions but haven't tried anything yet.

There's also extra "bonus points" on any points purchase but can't really see anything worth getting in the in-game store at the moment. The sales are apparently changing daily so we'll see.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So what’s the story with war of the three peaks? When I was thinking of getting back in I found a lot of people that were salty about it. Worth grabbing on the sale price?

I’ve got zero real idea what the angst was about etc.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
I think most of the complaints with War of the Three Peaks were about it being labeled as an Expansion instead of a Quest Pack. so it wasn't included with VIP.

I haven't played through it yet to really comment. But with the Black Friday sale, I bought it and Minas Morgul. The Minas Morgul fancy pack includes a crafting carry-all, even though it's not listed in the description.

Definitely look into the JRR Skins collection plugin if you're on a larger screen. It doesn't change the font, but it increases the size of some of the other game windows like the dressing room and auction house. Also makes the map not blown up to a blurry mess and puts it in a little window instead of covering the entire screen.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

DryGoods posted:

Definitely look into the JRR Skins collection plugin if you're on a larger screen. It doesn't change the font, but it increases the size of some of the other game windows like the dressing room and auction house. Also makes the map not blown up to a blurry mess and puts it in a little window instead of covering the entire screen.

Seconding this, it makes the base UI at least tolerable.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

So I’m currently in Wildermore and now I’m beginning to understand what people mean when they say that Rohan is a hell of a slog to get through.

Still got western Rohan/Helms Deep left to do, so I guess I can look forward to many more exciting hours of “go to farmstead X and kill 10 mounted enemies”. :shepicide:

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

So I’m currently in Wildermore and now I’m beginning to understand what people mean when they say that Rohan is a hell of a slog to get through.

Still got western Rohan/Helms Deep left to do, so I guess I can look forward to many more exciting hours of “go to farmstead X and kill 10 mounted enemies”. :shepicide:

Wildermore is my least favorite zone by far.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Parts of Gondor and Rohan really drag, even the epic quest story becomes pretty dull. I had a great time with the end of Gondor through the current content though.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I took a long break after finishing Rohan. At the time it was the most current content and I just quit playing. Coming back to Gondor was great, it was such a breath of fresh air. And best of all, no mounted combat! I'd say Gondor is actually my favorite area overall, with the exception of Far Anorien and that stupid forest tribe village.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

EG7 (Daybreak/Standing Stone Games' parent company) had it's Q3 investor report and there are a couple of interesting tidbits from their presentations (https://www.enadglobal7.com/reports-presentations/).

EG7 INVESTOR PRESENTATION NOVEMBER 2021 posted:

Lord of the Rings Online
• Perennially ranked as a top 10 MMO
• The biggest and the truest simulation of Tolkien’s Middle Earth world online
• Along with Amazon’s new streaming series (reported to be the biggest budget series ever) based on the Lord of the Rings IP, Daybreak is investing in a major revamp to upgrade the visuals, modernize the experience and release on consoles

INTERIM REPORT Q3 2021 posted:

PIRANHA
Piranha celebrated the return of MechWarrior 5 on PlayStation for the first time in over 20 years. Net revenue and adjusted EBITDA for the quarter came in at SEK 47.6 million and SEK -8.4 million, respectively. Although the community reception was very positive, the overall sales on PlayStation had low impact, resulting in an operating loss for the quarter. Piranha has largely finished its development on MechWarrior 5 with limited residual effort for future maintenance. In Q4 2021, as the team further ramps down on MechWarrior 5, the plan is to fully utilize Piranha’s talented team to staff various key projects for the group such as the Lord of the Rings Online update.

I'm kind of optimistic but also kind of terrified.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

loving laffo if :pgi: is doing the lotto revamp.

RIP

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Cutedge posted:

I'm kind of optimistic but also kind of terrified.

They're a small team, so getting more hands on deck is an absolute plus. Then again, as we all know, those hands tend to come with a corporate minder who may know gently caress all about the thing they are supposed to be working on. The in-game shop already has all sorts of boosters and such for sale, but I'm sure that some kind of new gacha can be crammed in there as well.

Cyrano4747 posted:

loving laffo if :pgi: is doing the lotto revamp.

RIP

I doubt the game will *ever* get an actual revamp.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I guess the question is if they really think they can get LOTRO on consoles (lol), will they just fork it and make a completely different feeling game and ultimately leave pc lotro alone? I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility. I'm not opposed to a UI revamp, it can't get much worse (famous last words). The combat in LOTRO is also, I dunno it's fine? But it's not great and never has been.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Quill posted:

They're a small team, so getting more hands on deck is an absolute plus.

The reason you should be concerned is that it’s loving PGI, a company that has managed to make mechwarrior games staggeringly mediocre.

Maybe the individual people are technically competent. If it’s just coding for hire and they’re working under someone else’s supervision then hey, might work out.

If it’s more of hiring the project out and the people who make decisions at PGI have any hand it it then womp womp.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cutedge posted:

I guess the question is if they really think they can get LOTRO on consoles (lol), will they just fork it and make a completely different feeling game and ultimately leave pc lotro alone? I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility. I'm not opposed to a UI revamp, it can't get much worse (famous last words). The combat in LOTRO is also, I dunno it's fine? But it's not great and never has been.

I mean, they got Star Trek Online on consoles and the skill bar system in LotRO is fairly similar. Figure at least sis

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This game getting any kind of revamp is kind of amazing and unexpected. Thanks to Amazon for funding a new LotR series that is almost assured to be terrible.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
MWO specifically was mediocre for a long time and it turns out it was mostly Russ Bullock, he kept making bad decisions and disregarded player feedback. Since he stopped paying attention to that game earlier this year, it's taken a turn for the better.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

MWO specifically was mediocre for a long time and it turns out it was mostly Russ Bullock, he kept making bad decisions and disregarded player feedback. Since he stopped paying attention to that game earlier this year, it's taken a turn for the better.

MW5 was also staggeringly mediocre and they routinely release mediocre expansions that break all the mods that make it less mediocre.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
Apparently I'm still in Nazgun but no one seems to have logged in for a very long time. Is there a Goon guild in this game anymore?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I've been playing off and on for the past few weeks. There's not ever going to be a big group of people on at once, but there's a decent amount of people who play semi-regularly. If you want a more active guild you're better off looking somewhere else though.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Start a list. I'll update my active characters once I update.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Lum_ posted:

You have to pay for lotrobux through Steam instead of directly, which may or may not be an issue for you.

I've discovered this is not true, or at least, no longer the case. The LOTRO Store opens to an external browser now instead of in game when playing via Steam to avoid some sort of problem with transactions via the Steam Wallet.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Update_27.3.2_-_September_3,_2020

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

OhFunny posted:

I've discovered this is not true, or at least, no longer the case. The LOTRO Store opens to an external browser now instead of in game when playing via Steam to avoid some sort of problem with transactions via the Steam Wallet.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Update_27.3.2_-_September_3,_2020

It's the same over on DDO. There was something going on with transactions not completing if I remember rightly.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
Don't mind me, just leveling up a new character in Lord of the Rings Online in the year 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Blackdog420 posted:

Don't mind me, just leveling up a new character in Lord of the Rings Online in the year 2021

Lol whatup new character buddy.

Just finished out Book I last night, on to Moria.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Actually, I've been pleasantly surprised how active the lowbie areas are. I mean, they're not crazy busy, it's nothing like week 1 of a new MMO launch or anything, but I've also spooled up a few random new characters just to see stuff like the dwarf intro area and I've been amazed that I'm not the only person there.

I've also been walking past a fair whack of other lvl 30s, lvl 40s, lvl 50s etc. in the appropriate areas.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

It has been nice seeing the 1-50 zones being busy but I have had difficulty getting groups for dungeons, though that's probably because I'm playing at weird times.

I've frozen my level at 51 so I can slowly make my way through the volume 1 books before hitting Moria. I've really enjoyed it so far and like how they've been bending the limits of the source material to create some interesting stories. My only gripe is that every other book mission seems to end in you fighting the big bad to about 10% HP before they pull out some reverse Uno card, stun you and then gently caress off into the night. It's really unsatisfying and completely over-used. I hope it's not like this in Moria+.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
The server downtime for today was postponed till tomorrow. So, you have an extra day to use the LOTROQUESTS2021 code if you haven't already.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I finished the Race of Man intro and starting writing a little journal from my character's pov about what's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Looking forward to them visiting the Shire and doing the side quests there.