Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lmao hollywood has gone too far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Snowy posted:

What’s that from I wanna see

It's an animatronic baby from one of the Twilight movies: https://entertainment.time.com/2013/11/05/this-terrifying-animatronic-baby-freaked-out-the-cast-and-crew-of-twilight/

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Vitamin Me posted:

That's basic Alec safety..also be very sure to store Alec in a locked safe when not in use

James Bond dropped his Alec and it destroyed a radio telescope

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I promise I'm not being snarky and genuinely just want to understand the exact parameters of your argument, because if the threshold of safety something has to meet is literally zero deaths in perpetuity then we really ought to reconsider if making live-action movies is worth it at all.

And hey, maybe it's not! Frankly I honestly don't think child actors should be a thing, for one. You can CGI them or write around them.

Vehicles and pyrotechnics and stunts are all things that aren't strictly necessary, either, and certainly don't meet the same safety threshold that firearms do. I mostly just want to know what exactly are we talking about getting rid of.

I think you're missing one very important point here: Giving up actually-firing guns on sets is a vanishingly minor concession. Even in the classic action movies of the 80s and 90s, when you had guns firing; 95% of what you were seeing and hearing was added in post anyways. Everyone brings up the Heat gunfight and how they used the actual audio from the day of shooting, but that was an extreme outlier, as films virtually never use the audio from on-set gunfire.

Think of it this way: Imagine there was one particular type of fake blood that turned out to kill a couple of people over a few decades due to a super-rare allergic reaction. It would be insane to keep using it in films, even if the risk of death was very low and there were a lot of safety procedures around using that type of fake blood on set. Arguing that we should ban that particular fake blood because it is not worth dying over isn't the same as saying that any risk at all involved in making live-action movies isn't worth doing. It's not even saying that we can't show blood in movies anymore. It's saying that this one very particular thing isn't worth using when depicting blood on screen. And if someone was throwing a fit about trying to ban that type of fake blood because "all CGI blood loving sucks", it would easy to see how ridiculous their argument is when compared to the risk of people dying.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

We should stop shooting each other in real life so we don't have to depict it in our stories!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

I would be willing to sacrifice a baby to the devil just so no unholy abominations like this ever end up on any kind of screens again.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I would be willing to sacrifice a baby to the devil just so no unholy abominations like this ever end up on any kind of screens again.

Just let Alec get a sniff of one of these things and then set him loose

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

if you watch the video its pretty clear Alec was defending himself

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

We should stop shooting each other in real life so we don't have to depict it in our stories!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

And vice versa

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
What’s crazy is Alec’s mom drove him across state lines to film this scene. I can’t believe she’s not taking any heat for this!

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

there were text messages between Alec Baldwin and the armorer about how hed love to shoot some videographers

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

there were text messages between Alec Baldwin and the armorer about how hed love to shoot some videographers

huge news

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Baldwin is just a simple man that misunderstood when he overheard some of the staff talking about doing a shoot that day.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

LanceHunter posted:

I think you're missing one very important point here: Giving up actually-firing guns on sets is a vanishingly minor concession. Even in the classic action movies of the 80s and 90s, when you had guns firing; 95% of what you were seeing and hearing was added in post anyways. Everyone brings up the Heat gunfight and how they used the actual audio from the day of shooting, but that was an extreme outlier, as films virtually never use the audio from on-set gunfire.

Think of it this way: Imagine there was one particular type of fake blood that turned out to kill a couple of people over a few decades due to a super-rare allergic reaction. It would be insane to keep using it in films, even if the risk of death was very low and there were a lot of safety procedures around using that type of fake blood on set. Arguing that we should ban that particular fake blood because it is not worth dying over isn't the same as saying that any risk at all involved in making live-action movies isn't worth doing. It's not even saying that we can't show blood in movies anymore. It's saying that this one very particular thing isn't worth using when depicting blood on screen. And if someone was throwing a fit about trying to ban that type of fake blood because "all CGI blood loving sucks", it would easy to see how ridiculous their argument is when compared to the risk of people dying.

I'm glad I came back to check on this thread, because otherwise I would have missed out on this great response, I aopreciate it

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
Rust: US Police to search arms supplier over fatal film shooting

Sounds like yet another person might share responsibility here.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/abc/status/1466113093411524611?s=21

:iiam:

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Excuse me?? Lol

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fn6GFSwTEw

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

There was a second Baldwin on the grassy knoll!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

he quickdrew so fast the bullet flew out of the gun with enough momentum to kill

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

If they're going with the old "the gun just went off" bullshit defense he really must have hosed up. It's a cowboy gun, not a Taurus with a complex "shake gun to make bang" trigger mechanism.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 2, 2021

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
If it was a double action revolver like I imagine they’d have in an old timey movie it’s not that hard to accidentally fire it if you’re an idiot, I mean an Alec Baldwin.

Dads Dip Cup
Aug 13, 2009

Grimey Drawer
your honor, the defense would like to submit the following depiction of the incident in question into evidence as exhibit "A"

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

He's really going for the oscar this year

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Well duh the gatling gun has a crank not a trigger

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the immaculate homicide

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

first Havana Syndrome fatality confirmed

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

The conspiracy wasn't lizards in human suits; it was lizards in gunsuits all along!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Isn't this premature, since the investigation is ongoing?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 2, 2021

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Can we get a TFR expert in here or something. Are guns firing themselves really a thing that happens or is he just in deep denial?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I am in no way, shape or form an expert, but old time western guns could absolutely go off if they were jostled hard enough. It was common to carry some of them hammer down on an empty chamber for just that reason. Again, I don't pretend to know much about revolvers, but is it inconceivable to imagine a scenario where he quickly drew the revolver, whipped the gun around to point it at the camera and the sudden stop made it go off? Perhaps the hammer was cocked already and the movement made it drop (due to malfunction)?

Also, I seem to recall that the earlier misfires involving his body double also were reported to be that the gun went off by itself...

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Even if you don’t pull the trigger, there’s culpability in continuing to use a gun on set that has repeatedly misfired.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
You’d need someone familiar with that particular kind of replica SAA. I’m pretty sure they don’t replicate all the fun safety flaws the original had.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Flubby posted:

Can we get a TFR expert in here or something. Are guns firing themselves really a thing that happens or is he just in deep denial?

There are some cases, in a handful of cheap modern pistols and antique revolvers. Modern revolvers and reproductions of antiques absolutely do not fire themselves and Alex is 1,000% in denial.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Even if you don’t pull the trigger, there’s culpability in continuing to use a gun on set that has repeatedly misfired.

Well yes, but that's on the armorer.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

je1 healthcare posted:

He's really going for the oscar this year

Better him than Rittenhouse.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Freudian slippers posted:

Well yes, but that's on the armorer.

Were they hiding the misfire incidents from Baldwin? I thought the incidents were common knowledge on set but that’s hosed up if they were keeping it secret from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He was doing a scab shoot after the camera crew had walked out in protest over, among other things, the previous misfire incidents.

At that point I really don't think anyone can reasonably claim they didn't know there was something wrong.