Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

mio and makoto are both tomboys but also want to have their feminine side acknowledged. that's gap moe baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I am currently playing Dishonored and waiting for my boyfriend to get off work so we can continue watching Stone Ocean together, it's pretty good so far.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
thank you all for the answers on the uma musume idol stuff. do you need to watch season one to enjoy season two, or do they stand on their own, because i heard season one isn't as good

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker.

I haven't played since 5.1 and reupped my sub recently to start catching up for EW. I have a normal job now so it's probably gonna take me until like 6.1

also I'm gonna change my main job for EW but I haven't decided yet. Probably MCH or BLM but it depends on how new SMN works in practice

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

thank you all for the answers on the uma musume idol stuff. do you need to watch season one to enjoy season two, or do they stand on their own, because i heard season one isn't as good
they're mostly separate. the main characters of s2 are in s1, but they don't really do much, and most of their shtick is reestablished in s2. and the main characters of s1 are in s2, but they don't really do much.

s1 isnt terrible but it's got some weird running gags and the main drama just isnt as interesting outside of one scene towards the end. if you just wanna get to the good stuff id recommend skipping to s2. if you *really* like it you can go back and watch s1 for a more complete experience or whatever.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i will always be a dragoon main

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

which one has more gold ship

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

I haven't played since 5.1 and reupped my sub recently to start catching up for EW. I have a normal job now so it's probably gonna take me until like 6.1

also I'm gonna change my main job for EW but I haven't decided yet. Probably MCH or BLM but it depends on how new SMN works in practice

I'm gunna play reaper cuz i've done the new job shuffle every expac.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Patware posted:

which one has more gold ship
shes a gag side character in both seasons, her screentime is about equal in each.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm gunna play reaper cuz i've done the new job shuffle every expac.

I probably should do that but I never want to play the new popular stuff, because it is too new and popular

I'm excited to see Testament in FF14 though

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
one of the horse girls has hair similar to Estelle from Trails in the Sky and that confuses me sometimes. That's all I know about the horses except for the one that kicks you in the face

so they seem pretty good overall from that

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

daiwa ftw

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker.

Also in horse chat I like Nice Nature the most.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

finally finished blue reflection ray. show owns. 9/10.

What were the strongest points to you? It struck me as being just kinda okay more than anything. Taking the tone in a darker direction than the game was interesting, but the animation was pretty stiff in a lot of places and the handling of the main villain's past as an abusive victim was uhh, kinda clunky in how it was handled.

DoubleDonut posted:

one of the horse girls has hair similar to Estelle from Trails in the Sky and that confuses me sometimes. That's all I know about the horses except for the one that kicks you in the face

I like the one with the long red hair I think, I guess she kinda looks like estelle?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

DoubleDonut posted:

I wish someone would translate the trails in the sky manga. I would claim to intend to donate significant amounts of money to this endeavor despite never having given any money to the kirei cake person who claims to have a sick parent

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

What were the strongest points to you? It struck me as being just kinda okay more than anything. Taking the tone in a darker direction than the game was interesting, but the animation was pretty stiff in a lot of places and the handling of the main villain's past as an abusive victim was uhh, kinda clunky in how it was handled.
oh the aniamtion was terrible. however the villains stuff really worked for me, its ridiculously over the top but on a thematic level i really liked it. its a story about people that have been hurt to varying degrees accepting each other with literally no judgment and i like that about it. and a lot of the comedy is incredible.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Acerbatus posted:

I like the one with the long red hair I think, I guess she kinda looks like estelle?

yeah I mean Daiwa. Some artists draw her in a way that she kind of looks like Estelle sometimes

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

epic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also my favorite horse character wise is seiun sky. her stuff with king halo in the game is really cute, since king halo's all haughty and IM A KING but has trouble backing it up and instead of encouraging her when shes down sky just sort of casually accepts that she is as good as she says, because she knows trying to make her feel better would just make her feel better. like after halo loses a race seiun just goes 'see ya tomorrow~' and halo immediately jumps back into 'ohohoho! of course! there's no way that's all there is to the king's running!'

cute stuff

sadly seiun sky is around for liek 2 eps of s1 and i dont think has a line in s2. rip. shes good in the game tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

oh the aniamtion was terrible. however the villains stuff really worked for me, its ridiculously over the top but on a thematic level i really liked it. its a story about people that have been hurt to varying degrees accepting each other with literally no judgment and i like that about it. and a lot of the comedy is incredible.

also someone going on tv to say they should kill all disabled and mentally ill people and it cutting to a bunch of tv personalities going 'y'know, it's controversial, but shes got a point' is a hilarious commentary on japanese daytime television

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Season 2 of Umamusume not only has Gold Ship but also has Twin Turbo who's a great comedy character but also has a great emotional beat too. God drat was Umamusume 2 good

Blue Reflection Ray was pretty bad visually but it never actually hit production disaster visuals which is amazing as I expected it at some point. Good show even with some rough bits though and it's gonna get me to play the new game during Xmas unless Endwalker completely consumes me (it will)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I watched it with friends and came away really liking Bourbon and Rice Shower.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

Maybe I should give another shot at the last few episodes. The stuff with the villain didn't offend me so much as it kinda jarred me out of it because it felt idk, more absurd than the stuff that came before it? I got kinda jarred out of it I guess.

If nothing else it's a lot better than I expected it to be, like a solid 7 instead of a 4. Having 24 episodes instead of 12 really helped it out with how slow it starts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh yeah, it's a bit absurd, absolutely. I took it as more a thematic thing than an entirely literal thing. Like the stuff that's specific to her trauma did happen but a lot of it is exaggerated/how she perceived it if that makes sense. like in utena or something, heightened visuals to achieve an emotional point. only ray does not have the animation to do any actual visual tricks with it so youre just left with weird concerts

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

they're mostly separate. the main characters of s2 are in s1, but they don't really do much, and most of their shtick is reestablished in s2. and the main characters of s1 are in s2, but they don't really do much.

s1 isnt terrible but it's got some weird running gags and the main drama just isnt as interesting outside of one scene towards the end. if you just wanna get to the good stuff id recommend skipping to s2. if you *really* like it you can go back and watch s1 for a more complete experience or whatever.

Which season does the one girl start getting hit in her eye by stuff?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

thats gold ship show some respect

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

thats her running gag for the entire show

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Patware posted:

thats gold ship show some respect

I don't know any of them by name. All I know is that the Gacha is absurdly fancy and graphically impressive and the gif of her getting bonked in the eye 3 times

Endorph posted:

thats her running gag for the entire show

Hell yes

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Spe-chan kicks me in the head, killing me instantly

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I think that Special Week is a good name for a horse, and for a week.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Please someone tell me that Do Chokkyuu Kareshi x Kanojo is getting an anime because I would live to watch poo poo like this unfold every week

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/JAVdottxt/status/1466215114768539652?s=20

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
where's the greyhound racing anime

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Endorph posted:

also someone going on tv to say they should kill all disabled and mentally ill people and it cutting to a bunch of tv personalities going 'y'know, it's controversial, but shes got a point' is a hilarious commentary on japanese daytime television
The bit where that girl goes "oh it's not that different from what we learn in school anyway" had me hooting and hollering

I just watched that episode yesterday and I adore it precisely for its absurdism, it's like this magical girl show suddenly deciding to be a hosed up social satire for a hot second. I almost wish it'd leaned harder into almost looking like a Magia Record ep, one of the keenest choices it makes is making Shino's mom a weird faceless puppet person because it de-individualizes the issue and makes it less about the specific abuse she visited upon her kids and more about Shino's awareness of how society allows parasites like her mom to flourish

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've read one shots that are paced like they're going t be part of a longer series, but I think Making Progress on Yuri Before the Deadline is the first series Ive read that's paced like it's a one shot but isn't.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I still have 0 PMs, for those who don’t recall I would like 1 PM, with the discord invite within

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You'd probably have more luck if you like, dm'd one of your friends directly instead of assuming one of them would intuit you meant them specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

That would be exceedingly impolite of me, I have confidence that one of my friends will PM me, also I don’t share any other servers so I literally can’t dm them