Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Part of the problem with that whole push was the "legacy characters" they chose to inherit the mantel and the way they went about it.

Riri Williams, coming out of nowhere to become Iron Man/Heart, leaps immediately to mind. Someone deciding Jenn suddenly needed to inherit the "Hulk" name is another.

Edit:

quote:

JaneThor
SamCap
MilesSpidey
VivVision
MsMarvel
SamNova
NadiaWasp
RiriIronheart

The fact that they pushed almost all these at once really hurt the chances of the characters at succeeding. And of them how many were actually organically being fitted into a natural role of assuming a mantel, and how many of them suddenly just did so for a story or two before it happened?

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It is true

JaneThor
SamCap
MilesSpidey
VivVision
MsMarvel
SamNova
NadiaWasp
RiriIronman
AmadeusHulk

None have any relationship to other characters, I was obviously just being facetious

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Not really sure how Riri's intro is any more egregious than, say, the introduction of Jaime Reyes?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Jaime wasn't taking over for one of the most popular characters in the industry. He also wasn't doing it at a time when the same thing was happening to a half-dozen characters.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
idgi is your contention that there are no legacy characters, or that there are but you just don't like any of them

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm not sure if you're disputing improper terminology or the quality of the comics at this point

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Roth posted:

I'm not sure if you're disputing improper terminology or the quality of the comics at this point

Both, when we're talking about the push that came after Secret Wars.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Here comes Nilbop to be Weird again

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Riri owns and her time as Iron Man was excellent (as was Doom's.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Party Boat posted:

When did the spider symbol become a generic symbiote thing anyway? I'm sure I remember reading Mike Costa's Venom run and seeing a couple of panels of the symbiote planet with everything having that symbol on it.

I half think some of this was due to Sony and the Movie industry of all things.

Like before they made the Venom film, Sony wanted to make it but had to come up with a reason for Venom to look the way he does with no in-universe Spider-Man. (Because Venom is mostly cool look and you have to have that.)

And in this script the idea was the Symbiots worshiped a Spider god and that's why Venom has the Spider-man logo.
Maybe comic Marvel was then asked to plant the seeds for this in case Sony ever got around to making this version of Venom.

(This was long before the Tom Hardy Venom film that just ignored the Spider-man connection. )

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Nilbop is right about this. It's not an issue with just one but collectively it was very clearly one of those editorial mandates that doesn't necessarily fit the flow of everything else.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Harold Fjord posted:

Nilbop is right about this. It's not an issue with just one but collectively it was very clearly one of those editorial mandates that doesn't necessarily fit the flow of everything else.

Which books were bad, in your eyes, as I can't pick out one from that list that was universally panned except in bad faith?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Gaz-L posted:

Which books were bad, in your eyes, as I can't pick out one from that list that was universally panned except in bad faith?

Captain America: Sam Wilson started off solid but became really bad really fast.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Captain America: Sam Wilson started off solid but became really bad really fast.

Oh right. That is a lot of words to say "was by Nick Spencer" though

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

The Question IRL posted:

I half think some of this was due to Sony and the Movie industry of all things.

Like before they made the Venom film, Sony wanted to make it but had to come up with a reason for Venom to look the way he does with no in-universe Spider-Man. (Because Venom is mostly cool look and you have to have that.)

And in this script the idea was the Symbiots worshiped a Spider god and that's why Venom has the Spider-man logo.
Maybe comic Marvel was then asked to plant the seeds for this in case Sony ever got around to making this version of Venom.

(This was long before the Tom Hardy Venom film that just ignored the Spider-man connection. )
Do you have a source for this? I'm not sure if the timeline really works.

The first "Spider-Man free" Venom movie went into development in March 2016, about a year after Sony/Marvel reached a deal to have Spider-Man in the MCU movies. The team that actually produced the Venom film were locked in by early 2017, and the film came out in October 2018.

Donny Cates's Venom run started in May 2018, and Knull first appeared a month later, though the whole "your Spider is really my Knull Dragon!" reveal became explicit in the next two issues.

I suppose it's possible that there was some sort of series of miscommunications that led Marvel Comics to do a big retcon to reveal the Venom symbol is actually a dragon symbol for the Symbiote God in comics that came out to synergize with a movie that was already locked and didn't mention any sort of symbiote god in order to plant the seeds for a years-old scrapped script about a Spider God, but that seems weird.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be honest I also think legacy characters struggle a bit when time is static.

Like to go back Peter having a legacy character when the dude is in his late 20s is weird.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Argue posted:

IIRC at one point Miles says his memory of it comes and goes, which is probably how they explain that in some stories Miles has mentioned how weird it is, while in other stories he seems completely unaware about it.

Considering how young he still is that means the vast majority of his life is mostly blank?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Do you have a source for this? I'm not sure if the timeline really works.

The first "Spider-Man free" Venom movie went into development in March 2016, about a year after Sony/Marvel reached a deal to have Spider-Man in the MCU movies. The team that actually produced the Venom film were locked in by early 2017, and the film came out in October 2018.

Sure.
So looking around the very first "Spider-Man free" Venom script was actually written in 1997 by (who else) David Goyer.
Here is the script.
https://www.reddit.com/r/thevenomsite/comments/gr0kzz/1997_venom_movie_script_by_david_goyer/

And here is a breakdown of some of the stuff from it. I haven't read all the script, because it is god-awful. But the parts I did read had Venom with a white spider logo, spider like hosts and no Spider-man.
https://www.cbr.com/venom-craziest-things-david-goyer-1997-script-never-knew-about-facts-details/

Now my theory always has been that some time between 1997 and 2016 that some Sony execs asked Marvel to make Venom have some non Spider-man reason for the spider motif just to synergize with their script. Reading all those leaked Sony emails from years ago point to this being their exact line of thinking.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

Now my theory always has been that some time between 1997 and 2016 that some Sony execs asked Marvel to make Venom have some non Spider-man reason for the spider motif just to synergize with their script. Reading all those leaked Sony emails from years ago point to this being their exact line of thinking.
The Goyer script was written before Sony even had the rights to Spider-Man and scrapped before the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man film was made, I'm not sure why anyone would be using that as a blueprint for anything.

I'm not sure that the Sony leaks suggested as much either, outside of "make a Venom film, maybe make it independent from Spider-Man":

quote:

The potential scale of the franchise is hinted at in an email from Juan Capdet. He proposed an ambitious slate of Spider-Man spinoffs, ranging from Venom to Kraven the Hunter to Black Cat. In his view, the movies should build up towards an Avengers-style crossover featuring Carnage as the main villain. However, it's unclear how seriously Sony took his suggestions; there's no email trail beyond the initial pitch, which was at least shared among key figures in the studio. Presumably, they took the discussions offline.

Venom was originally intended to link into the Amazing Spider-Man films, but with something of a modernized origin. Several Sony figures pointed to the Ultimate Comics version, where the Venom symbiote was a genetically engineered protoplasmic "suit" designed by Richard Parker and Eddie Brock Sr. Even at this stage, Arad was convinced that origin story could be sufficiently rewritten to remove Spider-Man. Pascal, for her part, wasn't so sure; she felt the symbiote's interaction with Peter Parker was a key part in its story.
All of the leaked emails were from before the Disney/Sony deal, which apparently allowed Marvel/Sony to share Spider-Man but specifically ruled out Spider-Man from appearing in [Venom/Morbius/Black Cat/etc.], which is the opposite of the Sony leak era brainstorming. Even after the deal was struck Feige kept insisting the Sony Spider-Family films aren't part of the MCU and won't feature Spider-Man but Pascal and other Sony execs kept suggesting that maybe Spider-Man *would* appear in them, you never know, which doesn't make it sound like a 25 year plan to keep Venom separate from Spider-Man.

Now obviously, Sony has produced two films featuring Venom where he doesn't have a spider/dragon symbol on his chest. It is entirely possible that after Sony/Marvel formalized the deal and were back on speaking terms that Marvel passed along Sony's directive to the comics division to come up with an origin for Venom/the Spider on Venom's Suit that didn't tie into Spider-Man. If they did it, they did it too late for it to be used for the first Venom film, and then when they made the second Venom film they didn't bother using the spider symbol or the justification that Sony requested they write into the comics for it. There doesn't seem to be any evidence for that, but it's possible.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

The Goyer script was written before Sony even had the rights to Spider-Man and scrapped before the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man film was made, I'm not sure why anyone would be using that as a blueprint for anything.

Okay I will admit to being wrong about the timeline in so far as I assumed that Sony had the writes to all things Spider-man long before they did.
But I do stand by my point that I am sure some film studio people (be they from Sony or somewhere else) asked Marvel to try and write some stories to make Venom just a td more independent from Spider-man for any future solo film.
The proof in this is in how Goyer's script keeps a lot of Venom's comic design with changes to justify no Peter Parker. Even that quoted paragraph in your post showed it was an idea being floated around about doing Venom with no Spider-man.

If the Sony email leaks show anything, it's how people in big corporation latch onto what is theirs and use it to make really stupid decisions. Like those emails where the guys in charge of the Spider-man division just say "can we not just pay Stan Lee to make up new Spider-man characters and let us own them?"

The idea of Venom having some complicated reason for looking like a bigger, scarier Spider-man which doesn't involve Spider-man at all has all the stench of dumb Hollywood ideas all over it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

But I do stand by my point that I am sure some film studio people (be they from Sony or somewhere else) asked Marvel to try and write some stories to make Venom just a td more independent from Spider-man for any future solo film. The proof in this is in how Goyer's script keeps a lot of Venom's comic design with changes to justify no Peter Parker. Even that quoted paragraph in your post showed it was an idea being floated around about doing Venom with no Spider-man.

If the Sony email leaks show anything, it's how people in big corporation latch onto what is theirs and use it to make really stupid decisions. Like those emails where the guys in charge of the Spider-man division just say "can we not just pay Stan Lee to make up new Spider-man characters and let us own them?"

The idea of Venom having some complicated reason for looking like a bigger, scarier Spider-man which doesn't involve Spider-man at all has all the stench of dumb Hollywood ideas all over it.
"Hollywood people have dumb ideas" does not suggest "All dumb ideas come from Hollywood people."

I am not arguing that Sony had (definite contractual, possible creative) desires to make a Venom movie separate from Spider-Man. The proof of that is that Sony Pictures has now produced two separate feature length motion pictures starring Venom that have no direct connection* to Spider-Man.

Those two movies also feature Venom without a big spider/dragon symbol on his chest, which suggests to me that they aren't super concerned about coming up with dumb excuses for Venom to have a big spider/dragon symbol on his chest, much less pressuring Marvel Comics to generate in-comics excuses for them to not reference.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Occam's razor - is it more likely to be a studio mandate plotted out decades ahead with a company that doesn't have any creative say at all in Marvel's business, or just a writer doing a thing?

I unironically feel like Knull has broken this forum's collective brain in some weird way

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 1, 2021

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yeah I know it's become SOP to blame everything on the films, but I really think people are overthinking the gently caress out of this

Venom has a big spider because it used to be a Spider-Man costume

other symbiotes also had spiders because half of them were formed out of bits of Venom, so the designers just slapped a spider on them, too

then a bunch more symbiotes had spiders because, well, all the symbiotes people know have spiders on them, so we don't want these ones to stand out

then Cates comes along and says "actually it was a dragon" because - like so many BSS posters - he got a stupid question stuck in his head ('why do all the symbiotes have a spider?') and tried to rationalize it in a comic book story, and "it's actually a dragon" sounded cool to him

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 1, 2021

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I can't think of any time I could look at the full lineup of printed books and say they were all good, nevermind say that the only people criticizing them were done in bad faith.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Not sure if there has ever been a time where DC or Marvel weren't publishing any bad comic books

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that month last year when they just didn't put anything out at all

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There was a couple months during Hickman’s Secret Wars that Marvel seemed to be firing on all cylinders. There’s always bad books though. Always.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Uh, how did that turn into 'did Marvel put out a single bad title at that point'? I was clearly meaning the books starring the 7 or 8 characters mentioned?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I’m not sure how saying putting out a bunch of new characters all at once is a bad idea, has to do with book quality in the first place.

In this instance I don’t think the quality matters one way or another

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

How does the quality of the thing not matter?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean I thought your point was oversaturation. By pushing so many at once none had the chance to shine.

I can’t think of any way quality can make your point coherent

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just red New Mutants #98 with the introduction of Deadpool, Domino and Gideon and the art strays into "off putting" several times.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah I know it's become SOP to blame everything on the films, but I really think people are overthinking the gently caress out of this

Venom has a big spider because it used to be a Spider-Man costume

other symbiotes also had spiders because half of them were formed out of bits of Venom, so the designers just slapped a spider on them, too

then a bunch more symbiotes had spiders because, well, all the symbiotes people know have spiders on them, so we don't want these ones to stand out

then Cates comes along and says "actually it was a dragon" because - like so many BSS posters - he got a stupid question stuck in his head ('why do all the symbiotes have a spider?') and tried to rationalize it in a comic book story, and "it's actually a dragon" sounded cool to him

I like to think that the Venom-derived symbiotes are all taking their cues about humans from what Venom learned with Peter, so they've got a firm but totally unfounded belief that the human race are all obsessed with spiders.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A symbiote invasion story where they're all huge nerds about the minutiae of Peter Parker's life.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I thought your point was oversaturation. By pushing so many at once none had the chance to shine.

I can’t think of any way quality can make your point coherent

This is kind of where I was coming from. I don't buy the over-saturation argument because if all (or even most) of the books are good, it shouldn't matter, right?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Sure, if the books had all been amazing then that would be the most important thing.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So is Zdarsky's run on Daredevil over? I'll admit, I lost the plot a few times, mostly because I kept accidentally skipping issues. Did Electra's kid die? How is Matt out of prison? When did the Kingpin get remarried? Isn't Butch Kingpin's son? I thought Mike knew that Daredevil was Matt? Why is Mr. Fantastic fighting at street level? What does that last page imply? What about the clone Bullseyes?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gologle posted:

So is Zdarsky's run on Daredevil over? I'll admit, I lost the plot a few times, mostly because I kept accidentally skipping issues. Did Electra's kid die? How is Matt out of prison? When did the Kingpin get remarried? Isn't Butch Kingpin's son? I thought Mike knew that Daredevil was Matt? Why is Mr. Fantastic fighting at street level? What does that last page imply? What about the clone Bullseyes?

Did you miss the big splash page at the end that said to look forward to Devil's Reign? The run is not over yet.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gologle posted:

This makes it sound like you read every other issue

The Daredevils power couple is a neat concept that I hope sticks around for a bit. I also hope Chip can eventually make the Hand interesting, which no one else has been able to do by my reckoning, which is baffling considering they're like, evil ninja wizards and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

bessantj posted:

Just red New Mutants #98 with the introduction of Deadpool, Domino and Gideon and the art strays into "off putting" several times.

It's Rob Liefeld's world and we're all just living in it.