Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

So when my kids got their second shots last night the pharm tech or whoever she was was like, lightning fast. No countdown, just disinfect, pause, quick jab, fast press, out, bandaid, done. Less than a second between jab and done, it seemed like. Definitely not the slow and steady I'm used to.

No real concerns or anything, it was just really weird.

My kids loved how fast it went, so that's good?

The lady who did my wife's booster jab was like a stocky white-clad ninja, she approached her, asked 'how are you today?' and it was done. My wife asked her how it was done without even noticing and she showed how she just palmed the needle and put her hand on peoples shoulder with the cotton disinfectant and squeezed and apparently very few people ever notice. I asked for a slo-mo for mine and she obliged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

are you paying for it, or the company, or is it socialized healthcare? i think the osha rule that was proposed (though currently blocked by a judge) required the employee to pay for it, which would be a big deterrent.

My own company are awesome and have a giant free stack of tests at reception and if you take one you get to go sit in the open atrium area and they have a parrot who shouts 'COVID AAAH GOD OH NO' all day long in there. I'm not even joking, our receptionist trained him specially. I'm in for a meeting next week and I'll try to get a video.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

cynic posted:

My own company are awesome and have a giant free stack of tests at reception and if you take one you get to go sit in the open atrium area and they have a parrot who shouts 'COVID AAAH GOD OH NO' all day long in there. I'm not even joking, our receptionist trained him specially. I'm in for a meeting next week and I'll try to get a video.

Your receptionist deserves a raise.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i got my second astro shot in july what do you think my omicron immunity is like

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
Has anyone seen any studies regarding pregnancy outcomes with a breakthrough covid infection in fully vaccinated women?

Covid is super bad for the fetus and the mother in multiple ways, but this study was done on presumably an unvaccinated population, given the publication date.

Obviously I am doing everything I can to not catch covid (11 weeks pregnant, triple vaxxed Moderna), but my partner is not nearly as careful and is frustrated with all the restrictions for socializing I have in place because he thinks that fully vaccinated = good enough. Luckily we have two apartments so when he goes over to friends' houses I just stay in the other apartment (same building) until he takes a test a few days later. I don't know how sustainable this is though, and I need to get him on the same page for when the baby is born. Ironically he's totally fine with not eating in restaurants and gets how that is risky, but for some reason friends houses = covid free spaces. He also doesn't want to ask his friends to take tests before he unmasks with them because that would be a mildly uncomfortable thing to ask.

Just typing that out I realize that I'm also getting frustrated.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I just injected myself with old fryer oil from a Chinese restaurant, come and get me Omicron

Unrelated but I can’t seem to move my lower torso

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

AEMINAL posted:

Could anyone who remembers please post that nurse story about something something doctors literally breaking patients teet when they have to force down the intubation tube between gasps of breath?

I need someone to hear how grim it can get

I don't have that story but I was on a ventilator for three days in Feb 2020, not due to COVID. It was really loving miserable. I mean, I don't remember any of the actual time being intubated because I was sedated but I can write up a short description of the recovery.

I had steroid psychosis after I woke up, I spent two days unable to sleep because I was hallucinating lengthy conversations between two nurses just outside my room, they were plotting to kill me in my sleep. Then withdrawing from the steroids was two months of agony.

etc etc

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

cynic posted:

Toxx, mod challenge, thread title change... whatever it takes to make this happen, we need to see this video.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

compshateme85 posted:

I have no advice but I'm feeling for you. Covid is a tough road to walk in a relationship.

If you're triple vaxxed you should be pretty protected from catching COVID for a few months afterwards, but I hope your partner grows into being more supportive of you. Learning to do that is something every father (presumptuous sorry) goes through during and after pregnancy and it can be rough.

I got my 2 kids their first vaccine doses today, and I can tell you that it's causing very mild disagreement between my spouse andci about how much to relax our carefulness over the holidays. Luckily we have really good communication so we'll talk it to death and come to a compromise. Communication is key!

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 2, 2021

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

A Strange Aeon posted:

Please keep the thread informed on any side effects over the next few days, I'd love some anecdotes. Our daughter is 4, so ineligible until April, but I'd love to hear how kids are handling the side effects.

Both my kids (6 and 8) had their second shots yesterday. It's been over 24 hours with no side effects at all.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Elea posted:

Qanon's Reddit clone is loving this John Campbell guy

Really missed out on saying "PFIZER = PFAILURE".

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Was chatting with a co-worker today and he was working from home today because one of their team members (vaccinated) caught covid and now they all have to quarantine and get tested (they forced office folks back a few months ago). Earlier in the day I was on a call where one of the conference rooms was dialed in and out of the dozen people in the room, only one person had a mask on. The company is still having a holiday party next week. The good news is I've worked remote since 2006 and I haven't had to go to the office or a customer site in almost two years now, so I only have to deal with the idiocy second hand.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
According to the Wikipedia pandemic timeline the index case for SARS-CoV-2 in Wuhan started showing symptoms on Dec 1 2019 so I guess today marks the end of the 2nd year of the pandemic and the start of the 3rd year.

Happy anniversary covid! :coronatoot:

(People were probably infected before that date, later antibody studies suggested it was already circulating in Nov 2019)

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

cynic posted:

The lady who did my wife's booster jab was like a stocky white-clad ninja, she approached her, asked 'how are you today?' and it was done. My wife asked her how it was done without even noticing and she showed how she just palmed the needle and put her hand on peoples shoulder with the cotton disinfectant and squeezed and apparently very few people ever notice. I asked for a slo-mo for mine and she obliged.

This is awesome.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

compshateme85 posted:

Has anyone seen any studies regarding pregnancy outcomes with a breakthrough covid infection in fully vaccinated women?

Covid is super bad for the fetus and the mother in multiple ways, but this study was done on presumably an unvaccinated population, given the publication date.

Obviously I am doing everything I can to not catch covid (11 weeks pregnant, triple vaxxed Moderna), but my partner is not nearly as careful and is frustrated with all the restrictions for socializing I have in place because he thinks that fully vaccinated = good enough. Luckily we have two apartments so when he goes over to friends' houses I just stay in the other apartment (same building) until he takes a test a few days later. I don't know how sustainable this is though, and I need to get him on the same page for when the baby is born. Ironically he's totally fine with not eating in restaurants and gets how that is risky, but for some reason friends houses = covid free spaces. He also doesn't want to ask his friends to take tests before he unmasks with them because that would be a mildly uncomfortable thing to ask.

Just how I look at it.
Even if you have a breakthrough infection, generally the virus doesn't do that much any more. As far as I've read the only mom and unborn fetuses who are at risk are those with serious infections. It stands to reason that it wouldn't be that dangerous if you're triple protected.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

compshateme85 posted:

That's some poo poo, sorry.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

compshateme85 posted:

That is very upsetting and must be very hard for you.

I don't know why you have two apartments, but if I were you I'd just completely move into the other one for the duration of the pregnancy, but I'm also a bit of an overreactor

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

How owned do you feel, because basically since April 2020, places like Florida have not given a single gently caress about this endemic pandemic, holding concerts with thousands of people, where the lead singer pees in the mouth of an adoring fan

busalover posted:

Yeah, I thought about this today. Next year I'm going to keep boosting like the good citizen that I am, and otherwise stop giving a gently caress. Pick up my old habits, if the virus kills me, so what.

Mu Zeta posted:

Big Pharma and researchers know why more about covid now than two years ago. The scientists say that it's very likely the booster will still help with Omicron as far as preventing hospitalizations go, but it's too early to tell about stuff like transmissability. They can modify the mrna vaccines fairly quickly too if we really need another vaccine. Honestly in early 2020 I felt pretty lost and hopeless but I don't feel that way any more. Praise pharma.

Travel plans will have to be on hold unfortunately, but hey you're alive.

liz posted:

Oh goon I feel you this one… This was me not too long ago. Something clicked in my brain when I went on my first big trip a couple months ago after holding onto to all my PTO in hopes of better days. And in doing so was making myself miserable and depressed, but now I’m back at the gym and doing things I feel are worth my risk while not being reckless to others.

I’m sorry to say that better days may not be here for a while, but I’ve come around to the idea that I’m only going to do what’s comfortable for me. I’m triple vaxxed, stay masked and that’s all I can really do as one person. There is some peace in accepting the things you cannot change, I hope you are able to find it.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

People (especially in other threads) will not like this, but my risk mitigation has shifted to taking rapid tests 1-2x a week while symptomatic, wearing a mask in public, staying boosted, and continuing to work from home (which I am lucky to have the choice to do). I live alone, the people I see regularly are healthy and as vaccinated as I am, and I'm healthy enough. It's not worth it to me to live another year like that. So I'm just going to follow CDC guidelines and aggressively test.

Thanks guys, I know doomposting isn't the best way to handle this but I had to vent. It's just so frustrating to play the waiting game until this crap is over (which may be never), when I should be "living my best years" or whatever they call it. I miss the pre-covid years soooo much...

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Mne nravitsya posted:

I plan on getting the third one (it makes some level of sense to me) but beyond that, I not really onboard for keeping up this type regimen for the rest of my life. Problem is: in some of these EU countries, they will keep forcing and fining for profit.

drat them for trying to keep people alive :rolleyes:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

"That type of regimen" is going to be necessary everywhere, for the foreseeable future, unless a literal deus ex machina miracle occurs.

Or we all die.

Fourth coming up in January, not looking forward to it or the times after it. Why does Moderna have to kick you rear end so hard :smith:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Proficient Scoundrel posted:

I keep trying but my tongue can't reach that sweet lil hole.

COVID-19 Thread: my tongue can't reach that sweet lil hole

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
So what mask should I be wearing?

I’m currently using disposable surgery masks but was wanting to pick up something more robust and permanent. We have very little community covid at the moment but clearly it’s time to plan ahead.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Extra row of tits posted:

I’m currently using disposable surgery masks but was wanting to pick up something more robust and permanent. We have very little community covid at the moment but clearly it’s time to plan ahead.

3M Aura 9205+

Painting supplies aisle at Home Depot

e: Oh wait you said “permanent”. 3M Medium Lead Paint Removal Respirator, also in the paint aisle. It’s a 3M model 6200 with 7093 filter cartridges, as someone described it, “the AK‐47 of respirators”.

e2: I thought this was the C‐SPAM thread. That’s still the right answer, but I want to say that there’s no such thing as serious respiratory protection that is both “mask like” and reusable. Cloth masks filter very little. Spun polypropylene filters rather a lot, and that’s how you get 3M Auras and other disposable N95 masks. They’re not washable. Washing them would destroy their filtration ability. You can get a few days use out of them maximum before their elastic straps stretch too much to make a good seal. The body of the mask would eventually get gross where it contacts your face eventually, too.

Reusable respirators like the 3M 6200 linked above have filter cartridges that last for many months in clean indoor air. They only need replaced when they fill up from stuff like sawdust or wildfire smoke.

There are some lighter options like the Envomask, but they’re still not really “masks”.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 2, 2021

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Sounds like I should just get a bunch of the N95 ones then.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Why not just buy an AK‐47 instead?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Wearing an AK-47 at the airport is generally frowned upon and would not provide sufficient protection against COVID

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I'm in the market for a new one too. But I want a good fitting cloth mask for long term wear. I currently wear a Buff Filter Mask but I contacted them last week since they don't have it listed on their site atm and they said they're not currently selling it for "the season" right now. That blows. I love mine and it's wearing out.

I've gone through a few different styles of masks and every single one I've had that isn't a standard cheap one just blows and I've never worn them more than once or twice. The Under Armor ones looked ok but they sucked. The masks I get either pull my ears forward, attaches to my chin so it pulls down when I talk, or wraps around the back of my head with no support so it just falls down to the back of my neck. Just really poor engineering.

Any stylish ones out there that actually function?

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 2, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Sounds like I should just get a bunch of the N95 ones then.
I just ordered these. Cheaper per-unit than at home depot.

https://www.industrialsafetyproducts.com/3m-9210-aura-n95-particulate-respirator-niosh-approved/

naem
May 29, 2011

I’ve got a box of n95’s I’m saving if I have to travel for work

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Also, everyone remember that if you have facial hair (like many many goons do), you won't get a proper seal with an N95 or any of the heavier duty spray painting type with rubber seals. That's why you can't have beards as a firefighter using an SCBA or EMT using N95s.

Just a heads up. Shave if you want to use those. You need skin contact.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Also, everyone remember that if you have facial hair (like many many goons do), you won't get a proper seal with an N95 or any of the heavier duty spray painting type with rubber seals. That's why you can't have beards as a firefighter using an SCBA or EMT using N95s.

Just a heads up. Shave if you want to use those. You need skin contact.

Well that explains why it doesn't feel like it works properly

All facial hair or cheek and chin?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Everything the light touches is the mask's kingdom.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/pdfs/facialhairwmask11282017-508.pdf

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Seth Pecksniff posted:

The CDC has the answer.

And yes, the Hitler mustache has a check mark, that's exactly why Hitler started wearing it (gas masks in WW1)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Well if you're wearing an SCBA then it's mustaches only!

For an N95, any hair that gets in the way between the mask and skin will break the seal. I'm not willing to give up my goatee so I just like a good cloth mask. Sure, they aren't as good, but if 99% of healthcare people wear those surgery masks then I'm fine with it.

I haven't gotten sick in almost 2 years which is the longest streak since I've been alive so I'm guessing my masks are working so far. :shrug:

edit: I give myself a hitler stache every time I shave. Not because I want to, but when I shave my mustache I start out on the sides and work in. I feel bad so I do it quickly.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 2, 2021

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

This is super helpful, thank you!

I have between a circlebeard and a goatee so I think I could do it if I shave off enough. However, I think I'll just use a cloth mask with a filter when I fly out to my parents, and bring a few extras

god this is so annoying I just want to go places without worrying I'm going contract some disease, which reminds me I need to get my flu shot soon too

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Well if you're wearing an SCBA then it's mustaches only!

For an N95, any hair that gets in the way between the mask and skin will break the seal. I'm not willing to give up my goatee so I just like a good cloth mask. Sure, they aren't as good, but if 99% of healthcare people wear those surgery masks then I'm fine with it.

I haven't gotten sick in almost 2 years which is the longest streak since I've been alive so I'm guessing my masks are working so far. :shrug:

You could just switch to surgical then, they do filter somewhat better than the average cloth mask and aren't expensive.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I want to look like a sexy bitch rockin' a sweet mask. Haven't you heard? Sexy masks are like having a big hog for dudes now. Women love them. Trust me man.

I might have to go on the long quest of searching tons of reviews for good cloth masks again. I'm not sure how I ran into that Buff one but it's the best mask I've ever worn. It also has replaceable filters in it.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/02/europe/germany-lockdown-covid-restrictions-intl/index.html

I can't wait for the Chuds to go :qq:"THIS IS JUST LIKE THE HOLOCAUST!:qq:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pausing for a minute at the Hitler stage is mandatory for anyone shaving off a beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just shave the outline of the mask into whatever disgusting goonbeard ya got