Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Fly Ricky posted:

It’s incredibly easy to think of reasons it could devastate society.

They’re agents of the simulation we live in. Tinkering from time to time. It’s a never ending cycle, each of us doomed to relive our same existence over and over. Free will is an illusion. Cue hysteria.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HighStrangeness/comments/ocdrht/we_are_definitely_not_alone_but_its_not_what_you/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

starseeds incarnating onto earth to help guide us toward higher consciousness but every time they get locked into one of our psycho monkey brains they just end up going crazy and abusing drugs until they die

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

pnuttys gotta not touch the poop

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

earth is a soul/mind/existence hell and we are all here cos we hosed up baaaaaadly would actually gently caress with people actually

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

not me tho i will always and forever know how dumb i am and give no fucks for my aetheral gently caress ups, its how u learn lol

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Sleekly posted:

earth is a soul/mind/existence hell and we are all here cos we hosed up baaaaaadly would actually gently caress with people actually

isnt this what is says in every religious text???

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

yeah thats what ive been saying...but actual proof of it would pop egos hence the chaos afterwards? maybe?

i dunno. i just dont get the secrecy and it only makes sense to me if i think that that greed and a power complex is in charge. what that means planetarily is up to the birds

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

this is a good read

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

on the bright side for those folks is if this is damnation then it can only get better right? so even this reasoning doesnt hold up.

the reason for the secret will be something so dumb itll be hard to parse to anyone whose not had xmas lunch at dreamland

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

it's gonna turn out that we are in a simulation, except it's supposed to be a simulation of things moving in space and we only showed up because one of the devs was horsin' around

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
idk how any of you can feel confident that we can predict how people will react to aliens w/ 'end of society' stuff when we already have a global superplague that is mostly getting shrugged off as the wheel of death rolls on

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

blatman posted:

this is a good read

Beat me to it as I read it. Saved that one.

edit: everything in that post is pretty consistent with what is hypothesized in The Extradimensional Universe by John Violette. Which IMO is the most sensical explanation for paranormal phenomenon I’ve ever read. What it seems like that poster was trying to explain is that “time” is a spatial dimension, thus our perception of the universe is at least one dimension below reality. The Flatland concept as applied to three-dimensional beings.

Fly Ricky has issued a correction as of 11:48 on Dec 2, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Petey posted:

idk how any of you can feel confident that we can predict how people will react to aliens w/ 'end of society' stuff when we already have a global superplague that is mostly getting shrugged off as the wheel of death rolls on

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Petey posted:

cos thats an unarguable in your face looming reality but who, from those that can do anything, is giving one songle gently caress?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Fly Ricky posted:

Beat me to it as I read it. Saved that one.

edit: everything in that post is pretty consistent with what is hypothesized in The Extradimensional Universe by John Violette. Which IMO is the most sensical explanation for paranormal phenomenon I’ve ever read. What it seems like that poster was trying to explain is that “time” is a spatial dimension, thus our perception of the universe is at least one dimension below reality. The Flatland concept as applied to three-dimensional beings.

Can you explain more?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

and more importantly where are the riots and guillotines when we are all being placed on the block like this?

if a real true life threatening threat fails to rouse us aliens sure as gently caress wont

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Barry Foster posted:

Can you explain more?

not op but this is fairly good quick summary of higher-dimensional theories of the universe:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2021/06/04/ask-ethan-does-our-universe-have-more-than-3-spatial-dimensions/

nothing supported by observational evidence yet.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

otoh the entire internet occasionally gets swept up into poo poo like get koni, or is it a fuckin green or blue dress

disclosure happening in the form of a meme is not impossible.

i said a long time ago the final proof will be on someones insta inadvertently. where humans are concerned you need to consider all from the dumbest most authority poo poo to the deluded to the willingly deluded to the deluders and to the dudes on the corner watching poo poo

we could have a very noble response or a clusterfuck of miscommunication or anything in between as long they dont glass us

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

or perhaps the simulation theory is the one but if so surely realising that means, if nothing else, a bonfire is ahead or at the very loving least a change of scene somehow (please not more covid)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the fatal flaw with this is that if it were true Elon musk would be tweeting about it constantly

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

Barry Foster posted:

Gather roun' the ol' table and listen to a couple old boys tell their stories

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/r65in7/interview_with_retired_montana_sheriffs_keith/

No bullshit rural ranchers/farmers/sheriffs are great when talking UFO's. My favorite accounts are always the grumpy old men who you can tell are really made uncomfortable by what they saw, and not because it scared them, but because it challenges their world view and requires they reconsider what they know to be real and they don't want to. Which really makes them angry. These guys don't quite fit that trope, they just seem more matter of fact and curious about he weird poo poo they saw.
The top comment on the link you posted has the full hour interview with them. Cattle mutilations, UFO's, and even bigfoot gets a shoutout.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sleekly posted:

i dunno. i just dont get the secrecy and it only makes sense to me if i think that that greed and a power complex is in charge. what that means planetarily is up to the birds

It's because the military found this poo poo out first and put a stranglehold on it, and once the government makes something a secret and lets that boulder roll for 100 years it's hard to push it back in the other direction
Or at least, it's sufficiently that banal an explanation that would tell us why things are they way they are right now - it could of course be much more insidious, but bureaucracy by itself heightened by a generation who had their brains destroyed by lead and the cold war is a pretty potent formula for plenty of fuckery

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Also if this is all a simulation speedrunners are gonna figure out how to noclip it and that'll own

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Also if this is all a simulation speedrunners are gonna figure out how to noclip it and that'll own

looking forward to olympic irl bunnyhopping

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's because the military found this poo poo out first and put a stranglehold on it, and once the government makes something a secret and lets that boulder roll for 100 years it's hard to push it back in the other direction
Or at least, it's sufficiently that banal an explanation that would tell us why things are they way they are right now - it could of course be much more insidious, but bureaucracy by itself heightened by a generation who had their brains destroyed by lead and the cold war is a pretty potent formula for plenty of fuckery

yeah. i mean it makes sense the military found then tried to exploit...uh whatever this is. lead brain and cold war surely comes into it. or at least the reaction to whatever the big thing is

im just sad no one in the know also happens to like function and think like a primate and not have leaked it.

or they did and its too woo. or they did but no one cared. or they did and the SCP peeps got em.

i think no one has done that because anyone who is put in a position to maybe do that would never even think to do it

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Sleekly posted:

i think no one has done that because anyone who is put in a position to maybe do that would never even think to do it

yea it’s largely this

reddit is full of big brain tough guys who would totally leak everything and risk going to prison and it’s like okay chief, and that’s why you’ll never be trusted to be in a position of leadership and/or holding sensitive information

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I imagine if we ever get a sense of the truth of what is going on that we'll have a fairly easy time at backtracing the various media properties it had previously been laundered through, be that Close Encounters or the History channel or The Matrix or whatever

"the truth is out there" is a factual statement - but whatever that truth is has been so buried in noise and grifters and disinformation that to pick it out from the garbage would be like finding a lost wedding ring on a beach

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

yeah and for all we know communication and/or more interaction has been happening since what? ww2? that Nuremberg story from 17xx something?

Run exclusively the whole time by the exact same people youd never think of as empathetic or even slightly inclined to think out of the box a little bit

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

how dare you speak so of :tinylue:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

At a certain point wisdom and knowledge tempers even the strongest of emotions into almost nothing. Only the most powerfully stubborn and determined to remain ignorant minds are capable of handling the UAP truths and not immediately just yeet themselves out of reality.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Nice tags

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Lmao who gave me one holy poo poo

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

current reading. ive read many books like this and it's an awesome genre cuz they all have the same stories over and over and there's never any citations. ive probably read the exact same paraphrased story about Kaspar Hauser 20 times now in 20 different books

this one's a bit unique in that it takes a skeptical approach without being annoying, the author gently pokes fun at paranormal or far out explanations that don't hold up under scrutiny, but still entertains cool poo poo like how precise the great pyramid of Giza was built

can't recommend going out of your way to buy this one but if you see it at a used bookstore, or in your parents attic like I did, it's a fun and worthy romp through some weird tales

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mola Yam posted:

not op but this is fairly good quick summary of higher-dimensional theories of the universe:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2021/06/04/ask-ethan-does-our-universe-have-more-than-3-spatial-dimensions/

nothing supported by observational evidence yet.

Cool, thanks! I thought there might've been a more woo element (not meant pejoratively!) to the OP's quoted book than just the ol Sagan flatlands thing, though

I'm trying! Lue help me I'm trying.

I can't grow facial hair on my cheeks for poo poo, though, so I'm gonna have to be a Dr Orpheus/Strange style wizard rather than the full on barba larga gandalf kind

That's cool, though, I do enjoy wearing my bathrobe.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

realtalk i dont think Lue adds much, its hard to articulate why but hes hasnt ever broken new stuff?

he does seem to want to attract eyes on birds though for sure. and he doesnt seem to be advocating any particular way of thinking about birds. hes a definite force but im a bit lost as to how why and when he became so honestly

hes a good speaker, dude could tell campfire stories youd tell your grandkids and dont underestimate how charisma like that can go places

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sleekly posted:

realtalk i dont think Lue adds much, its hard to articulate why but hes hasnt ever broken new stuff?

he does seem to want to attract eyes on birds though for sure. and he doesnt seem to be advocating any particular way of thinking about birds. hes a definite force but im a bit lost as to how why and when he became so honestly

hes a good speaker, dude could tell campfire stories youd tell your grandkids and dont underestimate how charisma like that can go places

there's fairly strong circumstantial evidence that suggests he used his position at AATIP to request and then unilaterally approve the declassification of those 3 videos on his way out the door

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

"It's real. All of it."

-bipedal Bob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

that's the kind of cutesy name you get if Roland Emmerich is writing your reality