Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

This week's JL was atrocious, and I've been mostly enjoying Bendis's run so far. It was like all of Bendis's worst habits all came together in a story that barely made any sense at all.

On the other hand, I loved Nightwing, and am looking forward to Batgirls.

You should only be reading Justice League for Ram V's Justice League Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’ve been buying Batman just for the Batgirls backups.

Is it the "Batman" proper title that have the backups or is there another one like Detective comics, Robin, etc.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vincent posted:

Is it the "Batman" proper title that have the backups or is there another one like Detective comics, Robin, etc.

All the Batman titles have had backups recently that were pretty good I'd say. But Batman specifically is where the Batgirls backups have been

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 23, 2021

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Batman: Urban Legends (#5, I think) had a Batgirls story that leads into it a bit. The art by Sweeney Boo was wonderful. And, the Fear State tie in issues of Nightwing also feature the Batgirls. They’re like the C plot of the event, but it’s the most interesting to me.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I can't really recommend the Urban Legends Batgirls story just because I was so mad that it was advertised as a Cass and Steph story but it's actually all about the CW Batwoman who isn't Batwoman in the comics. The current backups (and hopefully the ongoing) are pretty good, though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Everyone needs to be reading Flash right now. This latest issue was so delightful.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Darth Nat posted:

I can't really recommend the Urban Legends Batgirls story just because I was so mad that it was advertised as a Cass and Steph story but it's actually all about the CW Batwoman who isn't Batwoman in the comics. The current backups (and hopefully the ongoing) are pretty good, though.

That’s the story from issue six. The one I’m talking about starts with Steph and Cass playing video games in Wayne Manor.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

That's the one I'm talking about too, I think. The Sweeney Boo-drawn issue. It ends with them chasing after Not-Batwoman, who manages to fend them off somehow, and then it ends with a big splash page of her.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I thought at first you were talking about the story from issue eight of Batman: Urban Legends with Cassandra teaming up with Batwoman.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

BrianWilly posted:

Everyone needs to be reading Flash right now. This latest issue was so delightful.

Facts. The series has been absolutely great since they hit the new status quo.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

They’re really gonna let Batman beat the poo poo out of the Wolfman from Fables?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
From what I remember, don't the Fables basically operate like Guardian from X-Men, except it's other people's belief in them? So, like, fighting Batman in Gotham must be like fighting Superman.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Willingham was talking about wanting to do this for years; I thought he would raise some interesting issues like how Batman is himself a Fable, but unless the comic is going for a late reveal, so far it looks like they're playing Batman straight and having him be part of the "mundy" world (which is funny considering what the DC universe is like). There's some room for it to turn out to be more than that, but I'm not holding my breath.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it turns out batman hates palestinians

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

site posted:

No it turns out that Bruce Wayne is famously pro-Israel. So Batman has to be pro- Palestine, so no one suspects they are the same.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The Question IRL posted:

No it turns out that Bruce Wayne is famously pro-Israel. So Batman has to be pro- Palestine, so no one suspects they are the same.

Now we're talkin '.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

but enough about Frank Miller

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Spoilers from this week's Action Comics, but I guess it's time for another death (and return?) of Superman...and Apollo, and Enchantress, and Lightray, and...

Nightwing annual was fun, as expected on this run.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So. Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons #1.

The book is basically so beautiful that it will hurt your mind, which is to be expected, and I'm actually little torn about it in the sense that the sheer undeniable quality on display in this book, and how close this book gets to an utter ideal depiction of the DC Amazons and associated mythology, makes me that much more nitpicky and resistant to the periodic parts of the telling that I'm not quite 100% sold on. It's that old conundrum. The more you love a thing, the more you wanna take it apart. Uh. Maybe. Just me, then?

This story can, will, and should completely redefine the Wonder Woman mythos for years to come...and, as a fan, that frightens me as much as it excites. I want this to be doing exactly what it's doing because I can see what it's doing, but I'm also wary of some things that I see it doing.

This is a story built on rage and sadness and trainloads of strong emotional baggage. The first issue is painted at every turn with emotions so raw they tear at the pages themselves. And so the gods and the Amazons themselves depicted in the story are raw. Sharp. Grim. Implacable. Furious. And they deserve it, and are a perfect response to the sort of world that made them necessary.

I'll cut to the chase and just say that I hope that this book doesn't neglect the part of the DC Universe's Amazons that are about love and compassion and reform as well. I recently talked about how much I appreciated that the DC Amazons always seemed to be intended as an subversion of old messy stereotypes of man-hating feminists. I really hope this aspect of them -- this deliberate send-up to the idea that women who don't want to be literally violated by men must also want to do violence to men in return -- does not get neglected by this series and that these Amazons forge a path towards something new and meaningful as they seemed to have been created to do, instead of just repeating the violence of the past. That's what Wonder Woman is about, after all.

And I think that there may in fact be signs that this might indeed be where the story is heading. Again, I hope that I'm reading these signs right, and also fear that I'm not. I actually ended up liking the more down-to-Earth parts of the book about Hippolyta's origins a bit more than the larger-than-life dioramas of the goddesses' plans in motion. This part felt like a true origin story of a meaningfully powerful character, who will truly shape the course of the Amazons. And I love this Hippolyta -- the quintessential Wonder-Mom -- and am desperate to know exactly how she'll do that.

On a more mythological note with more mythological nitpicks (and these are truly nitpicks, but I'd be remiss not to address them), this issue basically divides the Olympian gods' opinions on women based on their gender; all the goddesses are sympathetic to the plights of women, bar none, and all the male gods to a tee couldn't care less. This had always been a bit of a questionable way to depict the Greek gods, even in Perez's day...a vastly binary and oversimplified rendition of the roles and narratives in a mythology where none of the gods are simply one good thing or one bad thing, where Ares actually punished rapists and Apollo freed slaves while Hera and Athena victim-blamed.

I know, I know; this is a retelling, a reinterpretion, not a 1:1 reiteration of a mythos that already had no real canon anyway, and the whole point of Wonder Woman's mythology since 1942 is that the stories we know are wrong while these are how how they really happened...in these cases. Believe me, I'm not pressed about a Wonder Woman book choosing to interpret gods in different ways. But the thing is that with mythology, the closer that you try to hew to the spirit of the ancient gods and stories -- and this Historia definitely does hew very, very, very closely in a lot of great ways -- the more noticeable your deviations become. It may work for this telling, it may be this way for incredibly valid narrative reasons, but at the end of the day you run the danger of missing as many points about these gods as you'd caught, loving up as many elements as you'd gotten right, picking and choosing at the mythos as you did. It's that other old conundrum...if your retelling of the myths was bananas right from the outset, well, who cares how off-base it gets? See: Thor, Loki, Marvel. But the more marks you actually hit, the weirder your misses become.

In any case, this is a genre-defining book for all the right reasons and I cannot wait another second before issue two (Spring 2022? Spring 2022?? We'll all be dead by then!) which means every little thing about issue one will probably bug me forever!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I will follow up that really great write-up on Wonder Woman Historia (which I will now pick up, thank you!) to give a second, equally important write up:

Read Human Target. It's very good. Thank you.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Are readers allowed to enjoy Human Target? Yes this is another cheap shot at King's existentialism/depression in storytelling, and it hasn't been wrong lately (Superman: Up In The Sky being an exception).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Space Fish posted:

Are readers allowed to enjoy Human Target? Yes this is another cheap shot at King's existentialism/depression in storytelling, and it hasn't been wrong lately (Superman: Up In The Sky being an exception).

I like his stuff for the most part. I find that when people aren't openly complaining about one of his books here it means that the book is probably ok to good. I haven't picked up the latest issue of Human Target but I enjoyed the first issue enough to check it out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So far Human Target is just noir so it's a step up from his other stuff. Supergirl, on the other hand, is miserable and I don't even recognize his version of Kara.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Human Target is pretty good but honestly the art is what really puts it over for me. Incredible fit for the tone.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Human Target (at least so far) is a 100% noir comic with great art and plays to King's desire for quippiness but also hard moods with people dying. The Villain special was a mixed bag of good, bad, and odd. The Cat Bird one is weird despite it trying to be a nice message. The Killer Moth one was really good and I hope it's now the canon for him. Joker Annual was a solid Gordon though.

Edit: JL Incarnate was also a thing. Their rendition of Thanos for their Not-Marvel universe as well as their not-Captain Marvel were certainly a thing. Otoh, the JL Dark Annual was still good and featured a surprise guest whose un-drinking of a glass of whiskey was the most mystifying thing to Detective Chimp and my favortie part of it.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 2, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

On a slightly different note, Teen Titans Academy still makes me wish that I could unread books :buddy:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Human Target is pretty good but honestly the art is what really puts it over for me. Incredible fit for the tone.

On board with this opinion. It's a noir book, it's very much what it is, King is gonna King it up I'm sure... but that art, with every panel looking like the cover of a cheap 1950s detective novel, is just to die for. It's so, so, so pretty!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's so, so, so pretty!

But enough about Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
that is also so, so, so pretty

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

BrianWilly posted:

On a slightly different note, Teen Titans Academy still makes me wish that I could unread books :buddy:

It's really bad. I keep buying it to keep my Teen Titans run un-broken, but I can't see it being much longer for this world.

DC just need to shelve the Titans for a bit, rather than launching and re-launching bad series after bad series.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Quit buying the bad book.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

As an Aquaman reader, :frogout: with this kind of talk.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm to far in, I can't break my runs.

For example, my Superman and Flash runs contain every main title, mini series, one shot and spin off released from their relaunches after Crisis. 35 years worth of comics can't be broken due to some titles being bad.

It's my cross to bare.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

A cross usually comes from someone else, you’re just taking the whip to your own back my dude.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean, there's just a little bit of trainwreck appeal to monitoring the continuous cringe adventures of RED X RED X RED X these fail Titans. I don't know what it is about this cursed title specifically that makes it not only impossible to write well but an actual content sinkhole, but there's really nothing else like it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm having an alright time with it

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, there's just a little bit of trainwreck appeal to monitoring the continuous cringe adventures of RED X RED X RED X these fail Titans. I don't know what it is about this cursed title specifically that makes it not only impossible to write well but an actual content sinkhole, but there's really nothing else like it.

Have they revealed the identity of Red X yet, or is that a mystery that they're going to milk for as long as they can despite no one caring because they introduced the character almost 20 years too late?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

what_does_your_heart_tell_you.gif

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Darth Nat posted:

Have they revealed the identity of Red X yet, or is that a mystery that they're going to milk for as long as they can despite no one caring because they introduced the character almost 20 years too late?

No they haven't revealed it. And in this issue he managed to chump all the Titans, including Wally and Cyborg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's gonna be Anarky all over again, lmao.