Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for being mad at my parents about this?

drat I’m 100% on board with the gamer on this one well done Op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Harry Potter fandom is the most inexplicably terrifying to me.

the characters are children and the author is a terf

seems pretty explicable to me

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just like the word explicable.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Soylent Pudding posted:

jesus christ if you're too broke for a big present just own up to it

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
e: hah, nm mods said move on

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s amazing the absolute dogshit quality of apps some organizations will pay for. Like bored teenagers make better designed and more functional apps that some of the poo poo I’ve seen the institutions use. Half the time it’s basically a lovely wrapper around a better existing system.

no kidding, we just gave a test using some horseshit software that started hiding answers for half the students and questions for the other half. can only imagine how much the school paid for this

Soylent Pudding posted:

maybe if he's a good boy then next year they'll get him a gamecube with a madcatz controller

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Oh it is delicious. I got fired from a teaching job because of some complete bullshit, where I refused to use some Brand New Phone App that is gonna REVOLUTIONISE LEARNING (just like the other 9 mandatory apps we hate).

An app on your personal phone?

I will never accept any work required program on a personal device. If they want me to use it, they must provide me with a work phone or laptop (my school does provide me with a laptop).

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

Soylent Pudding posted:

reminded very harshly of the time my dad and stepmom tried to prank me when I was 14 by claiming they were getting a family phone plan and new phones for all three of us--my box contained a cardboard cutout of a phone. I have a very flat affect so I just, like, looked at it blankly for a moment and then went back to my room. they had the nerve to yell at me for not getting upset about it.

those parents suck and I wish the kid good luck in their eventual estrangement process.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
How do I (29F) tell my partner (31m) that he is not as handy as he thinks he is?

quote:

Hi all!

I have been with my partner for just over 3 years now and this problem has popped up enough that I am not sure what to do about it.

Basically my partner considers himself an "amateur handyman" (his words). He likes to put furniture together, change the oil on the car and do simple home repairs. Normally this is fine.

The problem is anything beyond basic repairs he believes he can do. But his skill level isn't really there. This becomes an issue when we have a repair needed done and he will insist on doing it himself, but since he doesn't have the experience or the know-how, he will have to "teach himself" using YouTube videos. Sometimes this is fine. Other times the repair can be a bit shoddy, and when I ask if he can "tighten it up" he will snap. Or the repair will be so outside his skill level he will get frustrated and let it languish while at the same time refusing to call a repair man because "he can do it." He also frequently encounters the problem of not having the right tools, which means we spend money on tools that get used maybe once, or are not the correct tools for the job anyway.

This all came to a head when we ordered our new vented dryer and I gently urged him to pay for installation as well, but he INSISTED he could vent the dryer out the wall. I was very skeptical and pushed more forcefully to pay for installation and he pushed back. I lost. Well turns out my "amateur handyman" does NOT know how to vent a dryer out a wall and he got so frustrated because he "doesn't have the right tools" he went to take a nap instead of fixing it. So now I am at home with a dryer that doesn't work, and a big urge to say I TOLD YOU SO.

I don't want to talk to him right this second because I am quite riled up, but when I calm down I want to have a conversation with him about being realistic about his skills and limitations. He is normally lovely, easy to talk to, and willing to compromise about almost anything else, but this seems to be a big sticking point. I think being known as "handy" is really important to his identity and if he feels like I question his abilities he gets hurt and frustrated. I also don't mind him doing basic repairs and if he wants to improve his handyman skills I am happy to support that as well, but sometimes I just want the repairs done and dusted and not all this waiting around and tool shopping. I have tried to have this conversation in the past and it always devolves into a fight. I am quite a direct communicator so that may not be helping. Any advice on to how to have this conversation?

TLDR; My partner attempts repairs beyond his skill level because he likes being known as handy. How do I talk to him to let him know that hiring a repairman does not take anything away from his handiness and sometimes it is necessary?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

cumpantry posted:

no kidding, we just gave a test using some horseshit software that started hiding answers for half the students and questions for the other half. can only imagine how much the school paid for this

In undergrad the arts and science college rolled out some bespoke online quiz software for all their classes to use. Everyone taking eng 101 or other mass lecture hall classes ended up having weekly quizzes using it. The software randomized the questions so students couldn't just copy off each other. However my friend and I discovered the answers were checked client side, and that when the quiz was generated it stored the answers in a plaintext temp file on your computer.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Harry Potter fandom is the most inexplicably terrifying to me.
Let me tell you about Homestuck...

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boop the snoot posted:

That’s a bit overboard.

Why would you bow to pressure like that? I have half a mind to give you a stern talking to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s amazing the absolute dogshit quality of apps some organizations will pay for. Like bored teenagers make better designed and more functional apps that some of the poo poo I’ve seen the institutions use. Half the time it’s basically a lovely wrapper around a better existing system.

This has gotten particularly painful with covid tracing apps.

Problem is these things are always outsourced to the shittiest possible people who design for exactly one use case and then disappear forever.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

spacetoaster posted:

An app on your personal phone?

I will never accept any work required program on a personal device. If they want me to use it, they must provide me with a work phone or laptop (my school does provide me with a laptop).

Absolutely this^ It's very easy to load spyware into these apps and becoming very popular to do so.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

jazzyhattrick posted:

Why would you bow to pressure like that? I have half a mind to give you a stern talking to.

Mods dictate the tide. I just ride the waves.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ex's gf asks me why I broke up with her man

quote:

A full five years ago, I (26F) used to date (more like fwb) this guy we'll call M. While M was very nice, caring, and all that.. He just wasn't able to support me in other ways. An example would be that he couldn't drive at the time. I've asked why, no answer just doesn't want to. Another one would be I'd ask him if he wants to go out on a simple date to like Starbucks and he can't because all of his money went to weed. Eventually my car crapping out on the freeway and having to hear him say "I hope it all works out" instead of him trying to help me out was the last straw for me to realize I had no future with the dude.

Fast forward to a few months ago, I got a notification that he added me on social media. This was weird because for him to add me meant that he needed to create a whole new account and find me by username since I blocked him (and at this point have a new phone number and email). I ignore it and went on with my life. Just a few hours ago, a woman reached out to me asking me MY side of the story of the breakup because she said she's trying to get a place with him. She wants to know if she's safe etc. and wants to know if "he was the same with me." I got curious and looked through her story/posts and found out she just had a baby.

How do I proceed with this? I feel like as much as she deserves the honest truth, A LOT can happen within five years. And I feel it is very unfair for me to bring up old poo poo when this is not relevant to their current relationship at all? We were barely out of our teen years. I don't want to stir up any trouble but I know I'd like answers too if I ever felt the need to reach out to my partner's exes.. Not great with words so what's the best way to say things??

Tl;dr: Ex's current gf/wife/babymomma reached out to me asking me why we broke up and I feel like vomitting thinking if I do or say the wrong thing I might start poo poo. Help.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for refusing to apologize to my husband in writing after I cancelled all his family invitations to a Christmas celebration at our house?

"He took offense to that and walked out almost crying."

lmao why aren't you respecting my authority??? :qq:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

the holy poopacy posted:

Just ignore this, right? That's the only way to not get sucked into some drama you don't want.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

My car capped out on the freeway so I called my fuckbuddy who notably doesn't own a car, and when he couldn't help I knew it was over.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

cumpantry posted:

I dunno, I feel like “I can’t do my drat work because the required information is siloed away from me” is a pretty good learning experience actually. Dealing with bureaucratic bullshit is a key life skill.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

the holy poopacy posted:

Throw a grenade in the middle of the room by telling her your experiences than iimmediately block her.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

the holy poopacy posted:

How do I (29F) tell my partner (31m) that he is not as handy as he thinks he is?

Some cultures, including mine, have an entire subset of toxicity around male handiness, as the male part of the entire gender roles thing.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

My car capped out on the freeway so I called my fuckbuddy who notably doesn't own a car, and when he couldn't help I knew it was over.

Not that dissimilar to this, really. He's male, he's supposed to drive, own a car or be resourceful enough to source one quickly if his damsel in distress needs help. What's the point of him otherwise?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

comforthawk posted:

they had the nerve to yell at me for not getting upset about it.

What. :stare:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Absolutely this^ It's very easy to load spyware into these apps and becoming very popular to do so.

Right, and that's a good point. My perspective is that I'm not going to give them something for free. If they want employees to use cell phones, they must provide the cell phone (or computer or whatever).

The military does this. Most officers have government phones and credit cards. Also government cars for work stuff.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

the holy poopacy posted:

Don't write a book or anything, just tell her he was flakey and not very responsible. Then block her and forget it.

If that's the kind of issues she's having with him she'll get it right away and do whatever she needs to do.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

the holy poopacy posted:

Why would you even consider responding jfc

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

the holy poopacy posted:

I mean, I'm guessing there's a host of untold drama on the other side of the message, but "it wasn't a serious relationship, and I didn't like that he didn't drive and spent all his money on weed" sounds like a perfectly reasonable response? Either he's no longer doing the latter, or the new GF already knows about it.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Don't write a book or anything, just tell her he was flakey and not very responsible. Then block her and forget it.

If that's the kind of issues she's having with him she'll get it right away and do whatever she needs to do.

How is he flakey? Dude didn't care to drive and chose to spend his money on weed over a casual relationship :shrug:

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Tell the girlfriend the truth and then back away slowly. The way its worded makes me wonder if things have turned dangerous at home for the girlfriend and child, but that's the kind of mess that OP should steer clear of.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Alchenar posted:

I think you want a castle metaphor rather than a Nazi metaphor: You can't sally from your closet, make a bunch of claims about your sexuality that unfairly impact other people, then dash back inside. Once the door is open to those people then it stays open.

But this isn't accurate at all, you can totally sally forth from a castle, wreck a few siege engines or engineers and then scarper back to the castle to be safe. It's kind of the whole point of castles!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

sullat posted:

But this isn't accurate at all, you can totally sally forth from a castle, wreck a few siege engines or engineers and then scarper back to the castle to be safe. It's kind of the whole point of castles!

I guess in this analogy he built a dogshit castle

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A lot of people treat their own kids as basically props in their lives and get real fuckin mad when the props don't perform as expected.

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

Dazerbeams posted:

Tell the girlfriend the truth and then back away slowly. The way its worded makes me wonder if things have turned dangerous at home for the girlfriend and child, but that's the kind of mess that OP should steer clear of.

yea, and like, when you're trying to find a place to move in together, it's useful to know that like, in the past this dude has prioritized weed over budgeting for small dates--if this kind of behavior persists five years later and homie's the type of dude to still prioritize treats for himself over budgeting for like, couple-related things, then that's kind of a problem. you don't want to be blindsided and come up short for rent/bills because ol boy decided to prioritize weed or games or something. not saying he doesn't deserve anything for himself but like, when you move in together and have a kid together, other stuff comes first

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of people treat their own kids as basically props in their lives and get real fuckin mad when the props don't perform as expected.

lmao yea, narcissists react reeeeal poorly when they don't get their desired responses. it's cool tho, they've both passed now.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SilvergunSuperman posted:

How is he flakey? Dude didn't care to drive and chose to spend his money on weed over a casual relationship :shrug:

That's just one example, she wrote a couple of paragraphs. Dude just isn't someone who could be counted on.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sullat posted:

I was hoping nobody would catch me out on that. Lets modify; you can't sally from your castle to wreck some poo poo and then complain when the other guy flings a few plague ridden carcasses over your walls.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It's like calling a reference for a job. Just say, "Yes, we dated from x date to y date," and leave it at that rather than give a bad reference.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

Like I'm not perfect, but all this kind of male bullshit just seems so tiring to take part in. I know very clearly where my limitations on this stuff are and am more than happy to pay a professional to do things right.

Credulous Skeptic
Oct 31, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

...Fast forward to a few months ago, I got a notification that he added me on social media. This was weird because for him to add me meant that he needed to create a whole new account and find me by username since I blocked him (and at this point have a new phone number and email). I ignore it and went on with my life. Just a few hours ago, a woman reached out to me asking me MY side of the story of the breakup because she said she's trying to get a place with him...

Her ex's girlfriend created a fake account (in her ex's name), then called her up for details of a relationship that ended FIVE years ago!

Don't answer, block everybody. That's crazy stalker poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Alchenar posted:

I was hoping nobody would catch me out on that. Lets modify; you can't sally from your castle to wreck some poo poo and then complain when the other guy flings a few plague ridden carcasses over your walls.

How about a potato chips analogy? Like, as long as you keep the chips factory sealed, they're good forever--but you can't open the package up and enjoy a chip and then expect to reseal the rest so they last indefinitely. To use an idiom, "that bell is already rung."