Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Bensa posted:

Vinyl is only for pet household floors, I don't think I've ever seen vinyl siding

:smith: If only. My work has shifted warehouses 3 or 4 times in the past few years. Each shift, we have had to drag along about half a ton of vinyl siding in various laps and colors because the idiots order a full box when we don't even need half a square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
When I worked at a canine supply warehouse (think harnesses, leashes, toys, and then a bunch of cop poo poo), the manufacturing side would make agility jump sets using vinyl siding for the cross barriers and pvc pipe for the framing.

I don't know why people bought that poo poo when they could just go to home depot and build it themselves for $20~ but old people have to spend their money on useless poo poo their dogs won't want to use, like the dog strollers we kept in stock.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bensa posted:

I don't think I've ever seen vinyl siding

Back when I was looking for a house I saw way too many older homes where somebody put vinyl siding on top of random sides of an otherwise brick home (which I guess now were meant to absorb sunlight on sun-facing sides of the home).

They all, without exception, had cracking and dry-rotted vinyl on those walls.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Who are these crazy bastards that like painting their house every 5 years? Vinyl siding owns.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Who are these crazy bastards that like painting their house every 5 years? Vinyl siding owns.

And hardi is even better.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

We're getting close to replacement time on our vinyl siding, and hardi is on the short list. I really haven't had any issues with our vinyl for the past 15 years though. Power wash once every year or so and I had to replace 1-2 pieces due to hail damage over the years.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Vertical run cedar planks as siding is my fav imo but I'm biased because that's what my house has. Though thinking about paying for that today on a new house makes my head hurt.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Motronic posted:

And hardi is even better.

Our house has asbestos shingles that have almost certainly been there since 1931. There's nothing like that good old solid craftsmanship until you need to cut holes in it for some reason.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
An appropriate warning if there ever was one:

Have you ever wondered just how much bad stuff is collapsing in China that just doesn't make it past the Great Firewall? It's an entire country Made in China.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

When I worked at a canine supply warehouse (think harnesses, leashes, toys, and then a bunch of cop poo poo), the manufacturing side would make agility jump sets using vinyl siding for the cross barriers and pvc pipe for the framing.

Oh my sweet summer child.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

kid sinister posted:

Have you ever wondered just how much bad stuff is collapsing in China that just doesn't make it past the Great Firewall? It's an entire country Made in China.

this but assembled in america

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Next thing you know some Eurotrash is going to pop in here dumbfounded that "Americans build their houses out of wooden sticks!"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Blistex posted:

Oh my sweet summer child.

I met enough police dogs there to know their market was mostly cop/mil. They had a side business of selling the olds the dumb poo poo you shake your head at when you see it at the dog park. The cop poo poo is warrantied, the garbage stuff is not.

I worked that job as stoned as possible for the couple years I was there.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I really cannot imagine my husband's reaction to my inviting a stranger over to inspect the Mystery Switch for the internet's amusement.

That's not a "no", though.

My husband has gotten used to goons. He will not join their ranks but he admires their successes and enjoys their hospitality.

Lightswitch party!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

B-Nasty posted:

Next thing you know some Eurotrash is going to pop in here dumbfounded that "Americans build their houses out of wooden sticks!"

Tbh I am always shocked by how flimsy American houses seem.

In particular when there's the aftermath of a gas main explosion and there's just nothing left of the house but match sticks.

Where are the bricks??
Is it a climate thing? Or is it just a cheap thing?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Splode posted:

In particular when there's the aftermath of a gas main explosion and there's just nothing left of the house but match sticks.

Where are the bricks??

In California, it's a "sticks bolted to a concrete foundation might vaguely hold together during a massive earthquake" thing. Don't get me wrong, I love brick houses, but it's simply not feasible to do anything with bricks other than a false brick facade in a place where a 9.2 is gonna come along and wreck your poo poo. And to be clear, a 9.2 will wreck stick houses too, but they theoretically might not insta-collapse, meaning the people inside can survive the quake and not be buried under a gigantic mound of all their belongings plus bricks. Maybe. Guess we'll find out in a few years.

Everywhere else you bet your European rear end it's a cheap thing.

edit: of course it's also a cheap thing in California, I think I've written manifesto length posts about the general shittiness of California houses.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 3, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Splode posted:

Where are the bricks??

What happens in your country when a house explodes from a gas leak?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Splode posted:

Where are the bricks??

Bricks are for facade work here. Almost nothing in the US uses structural brick anymore, and anything larger than a house is cheaper to build with concrete block.

It's extremely common to drive through a midwestern neighborhood and each house have a varying quantity of brick exterior walls, often just partial walls to fit the lovely architecture of cookie cutter homes.

Not that you can't build with structural brick, but it's more expensive than a concrete pad or footing and stick walls.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

peanut posted:

My husband has gotten used to goons. He will not join their ranks but he admires their successes and enjoys their hospitality.

Lightswitch party!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Splode posted:

Where are the bricks??

interesting question... Splode

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Hi I heard there's an open invitation to leer at someone's weird wiring.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Hi I heard there's an open invitation to leer at someone's weird wiring.

Starts here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3431884&pagenumber=1029&perpage=40#post519392188

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Why am I always amused when a big new expensive construction is basically falling down three months after opening

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
A guy bought an old house in town that a few winters ago froze, and all the old boiler pipes had burst. He has a dozen cast iron radiators that he wants to unload and it got me thinking about heating options for my house.

Does anyone have a boiler type setup with radiators in their home here? External wood furnace or an oil/gas system with rads?

Pros/Cons? I like the idea of not having ductwork to do (or pay for). How does it work for your home?

FYI, I have a 22' ceiling in 1/3 of my house.

Thanks

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
obviously the benefit of ventilation is you can run a heat/AC combo instead of individual window AC units. drawback, as you say, is actually needing to run vents.

Boiler heat systems give off radiant heat, feels like a more even heat. Compare being near a campfire to being hit with a blow dryer. The fluid in the system and the metal in the radiators has a lot of thermal mass, and won't fluctuate in temp quickly.

Vent systems are heating the air in a room and by proxy the things in the room (including you) and air is a pretty good insulator (bad at heat transfer). You might feel 3-5 degree temp swings in some spots between when the ambient temp gets cold enough/hot enough to kick the thermostat on/off. I had an apartment where I swore the thermostat was broken just before it would actually kick on, and then I'd roast for 10 minutes until mercifully it would shut off.

Vent systems have only one mechanical system to worry about, really, and it's relegated to the mech. closet. Boiler systems have piping and radiators sprawling through the whole house and need more attention than a dumb duct ever would.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

kid sinister posted:

*in the thickest, shittiest midwestern accent possible* The CHII-NEEEEEESE!!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

B-Nasty posted:

Eurotrash here, wooden houses are better, and they don't have to be flimsy. And I haven't painted my house in 7 years and don't plan to for another 7 minimum.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Blistex posted:

A guy bought an old house in town that a few winters ago froze, and all the old boiler pipes had burst. He has a dozen cast iron radiators that he wants to unload and it got me thinking about heating options for my house.

Does anyone have a boiler type setup with radiators in their home here? External wood furnace or an oil/gas system with rads?

Pros/Cons? I like the idea of not having ductwork to do (or pay for). How does it work for your home?

Thanks

drat, good luck heating that 1/3. Yeah, forced air is completely useless if you have preposterously high ceilings. Radiators probably wouldn't be much better. I'd recommend getting a quote on radiant floor heating if you can.

How many square feet is the house, and which rooms have the church sanctuary ceiling?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Blistex posted:

Thanks

That's how most homes are here until the 2000s when hydronic floor heating started to become the norm. My parents house (built 1977) had this exact setup, an oil/wood combo burner and pipes to radiators. Works fine, the radiators got replaced a few years ago when they replaced the boiler with a heat pump (and also fitted a wooden heater inside). The radiators got replaced because a heat pump does not get the water as hot as a boiler so you need a radiator with more surface area. Something to consider. But all in all a very common setup with a boiler room and one that functions well in cold climates.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Boiler heat is the drat best in cold climates, i would not accept anything else when I lived in Pittsburgh.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

StormDrain posted:

What happens in your country when a house explodes from a gas leak?

Europeans haven't invented gas pipes yet, they still fetch their gas in buckets from the town well.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

alnilam posted:

Boiler heat is the drat best in cold climates, i would not accept anything else when I lived in Pittsburgh.

No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater than the heat from an ancient, deathly inefficient heating system.

High-efficiency gas furnaces are great for your energy bill, but having air come out of your vents just below skin temperature is a real letdown. High-efficiency gas boilers, same deal.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

HolHorsejob posted:

but having air come out of your vents just below skin temperature is a real letdown.

My bedroom air ducts are below the slab and I can only use the first vent and maybe the second in the winter before it starts blowing colder than room air in the through the other vents. gently caress you 1960's architect! Why the gently caress would you put air ducts outside the insulation?

My thermostat was "correctly" set for a gas furnace. I changed it to the "heating oil furnace" psetting the first time the weather cooled off. The heating oil setting means the thermostat runs the furnace longer so the ducts heat up enough to stop blasting me with cold air. Sucks that it means much bigger temperature swings because it only turns on half as often. It would probably make more sense to run electric heaters than pay to heat up dirt, but the largest room in the house shares the same 15 amp circuit as the loving kitchen.

Also a hearty gently caress YOU to the previous residents that smoked indoors that mean I have to wake up to warm cigarette stank every day when it's cold out. (It's cold out a lot in Minnesota)

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 3, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

HolHorsejob posted:

No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater than the heat from an ancient, deathly inefficient heating system.

Whut?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

a hearty gently caress YOU to the previous residents

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

alnilam posted:

I wonder...

lmao.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

My college dorm ran on a boiler system feeding radiators that couldn't be modulated (or maybe they could in 1960) so the heat was just on full blast for every room every day from October to March. It was something else to be sleeping toastily in a bunk next an open window with a raging blizzard on the other side of it. You could see some rooms across the way with box fans running. The rooms has the largest square footage of any dorm on campus, though, so that was nice.

Over winter break, all of the windows had to be shut and appliances like mini fridges unplugged so a power outage wouldn't make biobombs. Since lava lamps weren't allowed, I hid mine sideways in a desk drawer. When we got back to campus after break, I opened the mini fridge and it felt like an oven. I took the lava lamp out of the drawer, and found the wax had gone molten and re-formed along the side of the lamp. I figure the temp in the room had gotten anywhere between 100°F to 120°F while it was closed up.

They just tore the place down this year. A drat shame.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Blistex posted:

Thanks

I'm a big fan of central water heating, but don't bother using old cast-iron radiators for it, they are insanely bad at their job compared to newer sheet iron radiators that have a lot more surface areas and also they weigh insanely much and are a huge bitch to work with.

I'd say if you're doing a from-scratch install and your city doesn't have remote-heating(i.e. you're using waste water from power generation to heat your radiators), gas or have an air-to-water heat pump. I'd suggest the latter since I can only imagine fossil fuel costs are gonna rise and also a lot of places are probably going to come down hard on them in the near future unless they take some sort of pride in OWNING THE LIBS. I know around here new oil heater installations are already banned and new gas installations are about to be if they haven't already been.

Be prepared to drill a lot of holes for pipes, however, and new installs can easily end up looking a bit messy unless you're ready to cut canals into your walls and pull PEX pipes there, which is absolutely the best solution if you have the option for it.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Eurotrash here, wooden houses are better, and they don't have to be flimsy. And I haven't painted my house in 7 years and don't plan to for another 7 minimum.

Fellow Eurotrash here and I can't imagine living in a house where the exterior shell isn't bricks or concrete. Something about the idea just feels impermanent.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

In heating devices, efficiency is inversely proportional to the temperature gradient between the supply and return air/water temperatures. Less efficient devices = wider temperature gap between inlet (return) and outlet (vent/radiator). This is because one of the ways to make a system more efficient is to increase the air/water flow relative to the amount of heat generated.

What this means is that furnaces & boilers that are 80% efficient (or less, for truly ancient equipment) put out air/water at pleasantly scalding temperatures.

MisterOblivious posted:

My bedroom air ducts are below the slab and I can only use the first vent and maybe the second in the winter before it starts blowing colder than room air in the through the other vents. gently caress you 1960's architect! Why the gently caress would you put air ducts outside the insulation?

My thermostat was "correctly" set for a gas furnace. I changed it to the "heating oil furnace" psetting the first time the weather cooled off. The heating oil setting means the thermostat runs the furnace longer so the ducts heat up enough to stop blasting me with cold air. Sucks that it means much bigger temperature swings because it only turns on half as often. It would probably make more sense to run electric heaters than pay to heat up dirt, but the largest room in the house shares the same 15 amp circuit as the loving kitchen.

Also a hearty gently caress YOU to the previous residents that smoked indoors that mean I have to wake up to warm cigarette stank every day when it's cold out. (It's cold out a lot in Minnesota)

Lol either a homeowner special or the lowest bidder. Sorry you have to deal with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

HolHorsejob posted:

In heating devices, efficiency is inversely proportional to the temperature gradient between the supply and return air/water temperatures. Less efficient devices = wider temperature gap between inlet (return) and outlet (vent/radiator). This is because one of the ways to make a system more efficient is to increase the air/water flow relative to the amount of heat generated.

What this means is that furnaces & boilers that are 80% efficient (or less, for truly ancient equipment) put out air/water at pleasantly scalding temperatures.

Yeah I misunderstood the first post, now it makes sense.