Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Edit wrong info I can’t read ignore

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh, that ASRock X299e-ITX/AC board is much better for the home user from a features standpoint, and you can find some on ebay. Though you're still paying an exorbitant amount for the CPU and mobo together just so you can have an SFF PC with 4 DIMMs lmao. Oh, and they look like SO-DIMM slots.

I can't really find anything else viable, so it's best to give up on this idea. Especially if you're looking for 4 regular DIMM slots, which doesn't seem to exist at all in this form factor.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Rinkles posted:

I'm not great at parsing the logs, but there were multiple errors related to the wifi module. Uninstalling the device and its drivers resulted in a much more reasonable boot time. Windows automatically reinstalls them, so any subsequent reboot after that was again a minute long (I tested it 3 times to be certain).

So yeah, evidently it's the part that's not working that's causing issues. Thanks for the help.

No problem. At least you can be sure the wifi module really is messed up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Tangential question, what's the reason I've seen 2 dimm slot motherboards considered good for overclocking?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Rinkles posted:

Tangential question, what's the reason I've seen 2 dimm slot motherboards considered good for overclocking?

I don't understand RAM poo poo in the slightest but when mad men do extreme CPU overclocking involving liquid nitrogen and all that other jazz they do it on very expensive motherboards designed for that purpose which only have 2 RAM slots because that works better and enables the RAM and CPU to be pushed to faster speeds. Obviously what extreme overclockers are doing isn't relevant to your average user.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yeah i was just asking out of curiosity. but iirc, the 2 dimm slot advantage might even hold for regular itx mobos, not just oc focused ones.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Rinkles posted:

I'm not great at parsing the logs, but there were multiple errors related to the wifi module. Uninstalling the device and its drivers resulted in a much more reasonable boot time. Windows automatically reinstalls them, so any subsequent reboot after that was again a minute long (I tested it 3 times to be certain).

So yeah, evidently it's the part that's not working that's causing issues. Thanks for the help.

Have you tried disabling wifi in Device Manager?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Rinkles posted:

yeah i was just asking out of curiosity. but iirc, the 2 dimm slot advantage might even hold for regular itx mobos, not just oc focused ones.

Again I know very little about this but I would think what extreme overclockers are doing has very little relevance to the average users' use case. They're just chasing the biggest number, stability and all the other metrics that are important for normal day to day usage aren't relevant.

That said, I also think that worrying about 2 vs 4 slots is also extremely unimportant for basically everyone and I've yet to see any benchmarks or charts that make me want to give a poo poo about RAM overclocking, especially combined with the reams of people who do it saying its a huge amount of effort for almost no performance gain and is instead just a niche hobby done as an outlet for the urge to tinker and eke every last bit of performance out of the available parts.

Getting decently fast RAM and making sure XMP is enabled should be enough for 99% of people.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 2, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Again I know very little about this but I would think what extreme overclockers are doing has very little relevance to the average users' use case. They're just chasing the biggest number, stability and all the other metrics that are important for normal day to day usage aren't relevant.

I don't think it'll ever be relevant to me, I'm just interested in the technology.

Saukkis posted:

Have you tried disabling wifi in Device Manager?

Nope, but that worked (for improving boot times). Not that it matters much because I'll hopefully be replacing the motherboard tomorrow.

Will I have to use a microfiber cloth to clean the cooler and cpu contacts? Paper towels probably a bad idea?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 2, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Getting decently fast RAM and making sure XMP is enabled should be enough for 99% of people.

Unless you're using aorus boards, then you might need to manually set dram voltage to 1.35v (or whatever the stick's voltage is), enabling xmp won't set it to the correct number in a lot of cases even though it's meant to. So you'd turn on XMP and the dram voltage still stays at the default of 1.2v, thus failing to boot in a lot of cases. Doesn't affect everyone but it's a high enough number that you see frequent complaints of it here and elsewhere.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rinkles posted:

2 sticks is significantly easier to OC stable then 4.

For stuff like extreme OC, less variables to worry about generally = better. And for most extreme OC stuff, the ram is only there cause they have no other choice. CPU/GPU targets are generally what they’re after.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's very dependant on the motherboard too, something to do with how it splits the slots? on lower end motherboards, even those with 4 slots, two is better, on higher end motherboards 4 can be fine.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
LTT did a pretty decent explanation of the two different ways motherboards handle 4 sticks of ram (daisy chaining and t-topology). Actually, the whole thing was really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxGqGCtPxn4

Alan Smithee posted:

god I wish AMD would find a better numbering scheme for CPU

even intel is more clarity

Yeah, I always have to check Wikipedia to figure out what's Zen, Zen+, Zen2 and Zen3.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine snagged a 3060Ti with the last Best Buy drop so he's gonna sell me his 3060 for what he paid, so I'm back to building a system (hurray!)

I kind of wanted to try sticking it in my current 2600k system for a while before doing a full new build, but when I mentioned that earlier someone suggested that the power supply might be near EOL. Am I risking the card if I don't switch that out, or is it more of a it might just not turn on eventually kinda thing? It's a Corsair HX650 fwiw.

edit: also when I was looking at the PSU model I rediscovered my fine case modification to make the R9 290 fit

powderific fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 2, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

powderific posted:

A friend of mine snagged a 3060Ti with the last Best Buy drop so he's gonna sell me his 3060 for what he paid, so I'm back to building a system (hurray!)

I kind of wanted to try sticking it in my current 2600k system for a while before doing a full new build, but when I mentioned that earlier someone suggested that the power supply might be near EOL. Am I risking the card if I don't switch that out, or is it more of a it might just not turn on eventually kinda thing? It's a Corsair HX650 fwiw.

What was the warranty period on the PSU when you bought it? If it's within that, then I'd say you're fine. The PSU is the one component that can take other parts of your PC down with it if it spectacularly fucks up, rare though that is, hence the general erring on the side of caution.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
friend gave up and bought a build

3 3090s
2 32 core gold xeon intel
348 gigs ram

$17000

:shepspends:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Why?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

if anyone is getting pantsed by their wallet may i suggest lightening the load with a mobo ddr5 combo https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4414816&quicklink=true

OOS

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 2, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Alan Smithee posted:

3 3090s
348 gigs ram

$17000

I'm a big idiot and need to know what your friend plans on doing with these parts that he bought for the price of a dealership econocar.

Edit: wait, it was a build? Like a server build? Oh my god what is happening :ohdear:

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 2, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm a big idiot and need to know what your friend plans on doing with these parts that he bought for the price of a dealership econocar.

CG artist (Zbrush character model sculpter)

it definitely doesn't warrant the cost and I tried very very hard to direct him to 3090s at Best Buy/Microcenter but he's the one who made 30 grand upfront for a NFT commission (with the promise of 30 grand more on delivery) and not me so...

not sure if he's using as server too

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Alan Smithee posted:

CG artist (Zbrush character model sculpter)

it definitely doesn't warrant the cost and I tried very very hard to direct him to 3090s at Best Buy/Microcenter but he's the one who made 30 grand upfront for a NFT commission (with the promise of 30 grand more on delivery) and not me so...

not sure if he's using as server too

Holy poo poo

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Alan Smithee posted:

3 3090s
348 gigs ram

$17000

I would like to know what for, really, simply to see if I could (simulate) build a better one for that budget with one caveat: I’d shop where MS devs play tested Flight Simulator. His rig would be solid at 60fps, though :smugdog:

Edit:
I’m not surprised at the answer, as far as vocation. Specifically for NFTs, though?

I want to sell him my NEC MobilePro 780. Can’t remember specs offhand, but I know I saw MSPaint on there.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 3, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
NFTs, the latest rich peoples' scheme for money laundering that somehow nerds think they can be a part of

Truly pathetic

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I haven't bought a single thing of Bitcoin, but even I remember saying things like that back in 2010.

Now those fuckers are keeping me from a reasonably priced GPU. :argh:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

DerekSmartymans posted:

I would like to know what for, really, simply to see if I could (simulate) build a better one for that budget with one caveat: I’d shop where MS devs play tested Flight Simulator. His rig would be solid at 60fps, though :smugdog:

Edit:
I’m not surprised at the answer, as far as vocation. Specifically for NFTs, though?

I want to sell him my NEC MobilePro 780. Can’t remember specs offhand, but I know I saw MSPaint on there.

not specifically though I'm sure it was a catalyst

another friend bought 6 3090s at scalper price so he could do some NFT poo poo back in late april. I think he made roughly the same amount despite the effort he put into rendering a whole drat animated short (compared to monkey swap poo poo)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

not specifically though I'm sure it was a catalyst

another friend bought 6 3090s at scalper price so he could do some NFT poo poo back in late april. I think he made roughly the same amount despite the effort he put into rendering a whole drat animated short (compared to monkey swap poo poo)

get less stupid friends

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It's depressing shopping for cases on amazon and a bunch of the best-selling cases are like "crypto bitcoin mining rig open air support for 8 GPUs"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

im getting word that DDR5 is at Best Buys now in low quantities

might be worth dropping in if you're looking

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Butterfly Valley posted:

get less stupid friends

Is it even stupid at this point? I have a spare computer that I could turn into a mining rig and it's getting harder and harder to ignore the siren call.

I have exactly 0 personal use for crypto, but it just keeps getting bigger and I feel like I'm literally leaving money on the table by not just mining and selling right away.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Is it even stupid at this point? I have a spare computer that I could turn into a mining rig and it's getting harder and harder to ignore the siren call.

I have exactly 0 personal use for crypto, but it just keeps getting bigger and I feel like I'm literally leaving money on the table by not just mining and selling right away.

Electricity cost generally outweighs any crypto gain unless you’re on self sufficient solar.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I wasn't going to get into the details, but I'm in a unique situation where, due to an old building, I don't pay based on consumption. The bill has never exceeded $50.

The downside is that I don't have access to the breaker box. Any trips have to be flipped by maintenance.

VVV That's been my take too, but capitalism makes fools of us all.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 3, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Personally, I just don't want to touch the poop. (Not that a 970 would be much of a mining card).

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Electricity cost generally outweighs any crypto gain unless you’re on self sufficient solar.

Using the Nicehash calculator, I could make $120~ a month mining on my 3070 even in NYC where rates are comparatively higher... but I still wouldn't, because you know, the planet. And I don't want to put strain on my card.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

get less stupid friends

And what do you do for money

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

And what do you do for money

not contribute to global environmental ruin for minimal personal financial gain

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I ordered a white corsair 4000d and what got to me is I think an eclipse 400a (black). On one hand I ordered non-airflow so this feels a littlelikesaving myself from myself but its a little deflating not getting what you wanted. That white solid looked so good. I think I'm keeping this but looking it up it seems like you can't put a radiator on top in this? It came with three fans so I think it's the rgb version if that somehow makes a difference.

Seems more or less the same though I guessssss.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

change my name posted:

Using the Nicehash calculator, I could make $120~ a month mining on my 3070 even in NYC where rates are comparatively higher... but I still wouldn't, because you know, the planet.

Imagine ruining a working 30xx series card for $120/mo. Every time you’d want to play Chorvs you’d have to run a cost/benefits analysis!

quote:

And I don't want to put strain on my card.

I saw! Didn’t mean “you” specifically!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Oh god it was such a relief to see wifi pop up after logging in.

I'm an idiot and screwed up installing the cooler. I mounted it twice (each time with fresh paste) before realizing the reason the cooler was loose was because I forgot to put on the thumbscrews to secure the mounting brackets in place. Whole lot of wasted thermal paste, but at least I noticed it.

Anyway, awesome! I was so afraid something else was loving up the wifi, but it immediately showed up on first boot.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
nice, is it booting quick again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

kater posted:

I ordered a white corsair 4000d and what got to me is I think an eclipse 400a (black). On one hand I ordered non-airflow so this feels a littlelikesaving myself from myself but its a little deflating not getting what you wanted. That white solid looked so good. I think I'm keeping this but looking it up it seems like you can't put a radiator on top in this? It came with three fans so I think it's the rgb version if that somehow makes a difference.

Seems more or less the same though I guessssss.

Where’d you buy it from?

Case shipping is so expensive they may ship you what you ordered and tell you to keep that. Worth reaching out.