Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctPXpkoLsJg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

First game I saw them show off ended with it saying it was launching on Kickstarter today. Not a great start.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Cities VR, if it's even on like, Sim City 2000 levels of complexity, is one of my dream games

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

This looks bad?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noXnPV3r49g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCp5GhPHnFw

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat idk that looks pretty sick.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah if it's just Skylines but in VR I don't really see the point except Paradox saying this game's 6 years old now we need to keep making money off it somehow.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Too bad it's not PC, haven't ever played an unmodified cities game

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SpicyPete posted:

This looks bad?

No?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

forest spirit posted:

Too bad it's not PC, haven't ever played an unmodified cities game

Yeah this is a bummer. It would've been nice to have a PC version for better graphics and the potential for modding. I'm curious to see how this game is going to run natively on Quest when you have a big city going.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

explosivo posted:

Yeah this is a bummer. It would've been nice to have a PC version for better graphics and the potential for modding. I'm curious to see how this game is going to run natively on Quest when you have a big city going.

If it’s anything like the Switch version, badly.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lemming posted:

For a horrible double whammy you can get a Quest 2 refurb at Walmart for $200, which is absolutely insane https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oculus-Quest-2-Advanced-All-In-One-Virtual-Reality-Headset-64-GB-refurbished/612192172

It's 64gb. How much of a deal is that? I'm unfamiliar with storage headaches on VR sets. But I kinda wanna jump on this.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BonoMan posted:

It's 64gb. How much of a deal is that? I'm unfamiliar with storage headaches on VR sets. But I kinda wanna jump on this.

64gb is more than enough. VR games aren't that big and most of the larger ones are PCVR which you can play but are stored on your PC's hard drive. It's a good deal!

Edit: okay unless you want to play the medal of honor game I guess

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

BonoMan posted:

The MoH game takes up almost the entirety of my storage.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
the MoH game is trash and pretty much the only game even close to that large. so if you base your quest 2 purchasing decision on whether or not you can load MoH that would make you also trash

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

forest spirit posted:

haven't ever played an unmodified cities game

It's because there is no point, honestly.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

the MoH game is trash and pretty much the only game even close to that large. so if you base your quest 2 purchasing decision on whether or not you can load MoH that would make you also trash

Oh okay then thanks for letting me know the game my 10 year old nephew wanted to play is trash I’ll let him know

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Beastie posted:

Oh okay then thanks for letting me know the game my 10 year old nephew wanted to play is trash I’ll let him know

its not my fault advertising sucks I am trying to help clean up the mess those marketers made

marumaru
May 20, 2013

a real hero

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

its not my fault advertising sucks I am trying to help clean up the mess those marketers made

I mean. As a casual shooter its not bad. Yeah its not worth AAA money for the hardcore but its entertaining.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
the cost of that Quest 2, which I did not buy, had me thinking about the implications of having 2 VR setups in the house. Naturally, reasonably and not at all weirdly, this led me to think about using multiple vive trackers to use this to have sex with someone which is tracked fairly well inside Virt-A-Mate, allowing each sex haver to customize the visual presentation of their sexual experience. Facial tracking and "multiplayer" don't exist in Virt-A-Mate as far as I know but that project is printing money and god knows where it will lead. (I just looked at the patreon and it gets, minimally, $24,000 a month right now).

Thinking through all this reminded me of a horrific nightmare I had, maybe 5 years ago, that involved a dystopian future where people used vr/matrix type tech, to have sex in VR, but I think in the context of the dream it was used as a thing to distract me while robotic arms tried to rip me into viscera with spinning claws at their ends, and it wasn't until we got to Alaska, the Empire of the Bear and last free state, that we were safe from any of it. Also IIRC, the empire of the bear was pretty dystopian, too, cold, they didn't have much poo poo, "you're safe now! Now all you have to do is survive in an underrresourced culture!"

Anyway, having sex in VR with another human sounds clunky and awkward to me but if someone takes the time to recreate all the models from the Lawnmower Man VR sex scene into Virt-A-Mate then I'll consider it. In the mean time, I will just assume some tiny demographic of the world is already doing this, and be amused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYkgWJzJ6fE

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The summary

https://uploadvr.com/upload-vr-showcase-winter-2021-everything-announced/

Some highlights and comments

Smash Drums is out now. If I get a 30% discount in the next two months, I think I will buy it.
Against will launch in EA in December.
Lucky’s Tale Is Coming To PSVR And SteamVR Soon
Outlier is looking good, an interesting roguelite
Ultrawings 2 is surely something I will buy, unless the price is very expensive
Vertigo 2 was.. weird. It didn't look anything like Vertigo 1. But I understand it's just a weird level, as you can hop between worlds and poo poo, and other parts will be more like Vertigo 1.
Not one but two sim city builders. Both look like quality products, although Little Cities look more casual but pleasing and Cities VR look a bit more fullfledged, strategy wise.
Paranormal Hunter made me roll my eyes, as it's an obvious clone of Phasmaphobia. But hey, whatever, it isn't still a saturated niche.
Lost Recipes look like something different. Something very casual, about learning historical cooking recipes. It doesn't look like a competitive cooking game, running against time. I don't really know if it will have success, I think the cartoon graphics and the lack of realistic 'simulation' goes against the less game-y approach to this title.
Propagation: Paradise Hotel rang a bell... because I played the first Propagation, that was a free experience. It seems this is their attempt to make a full game this time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Walrus posted:

Cities VR, if it's even on like, Sim City 2000 levels of complexity, is one of my dream games

This would be the killer app for me, yeah

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

How does boneworks actually play? Is it mostly a sandbox?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Of course the Cities Skyline but VR would be a quest exclusive :mad:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Frog Act posted:

How does boneworks actually play? Is it mostly a sandbox?

It DOES have a sandbox mode, but thats not the primary game. Its more of a thing for after you beat the game. I thought the single player was fun. It has a spooky sort of Half Life 2/Portal 1 vibe where you're in this clinical/office type of area and something is very clearly not right with it.

It has a lot of fun setpieces, the gunplay is really fun, and there are a boatload of unlockables.

If you're looking for a deep story that has a lot to say, you'll be disappointed, but if you want to have fun with cool setpieces, shoot guns at........androids I guess? and hunt for unlockables to play with in the sandbox, you'll like it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It DOES have a sandbox mode, but thats not the primary game. Its more of a thing for after you beat the game. I thought the single player was fun. It has a spooky sort of Half Life 2/Portal 1 vibe where you're in this clinical/office type of area and something is very clearly not right with it.

It has a lot of fun setpieces, the gunplay is really fun, and there are a boatload of unlockables.

If you're looking for a deep story that has a lot to say, you'll be disappointed, but if you want to have fun with cool setpieces, shoot guns at........androids I guess? and hunt for unlockables to play with in the sandbox, you'll like it

That sounds loving dope, I have plenty of narrative experiences available in other contexts and plan to buy Alyx which sounds plenty substantial so I reckon Boneworks will be the perfect complement to that. Thanks!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Leal posted:

Of course the Cities Skyline but VR would be a quest exclusive :mad:

I mean, facebook money.

But yeah it's the first quest exclusive that I wish wasn't exclusive. Hopefully it's time-limited and not 100% exclusivity deal.

(that one exclusive star wars game also seems kindof neat, but doesn't have very good reviews, so)

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Warbird posted:

What are the go to prescription lens insert vendors these days? Preferably ones that play nice with Canada. I presume VRoptician is the call still.

Someone linked VRWave earlier and I ended up ordering from them. Still waiting, they use USPS (maybe I had an option?) and it's stuck in the USPS hasn't processed/picked up yet stage. Hopefully I'll get them next week and I can tell you guys if I made a huge mistake since my prescription for these things ended up costing me $150 (unsurprising, my eyes suck).

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Private Speech posted:

I mean, facebook money.

But yeah it's the first quest exclusive that I wish wasn't exclusive. Hopefully it's time-limited and not 100% exclusivity deal.

(that one exclusive star wars game also seems kindof neat, but doesn't have very good reviews, so)

The Vader chronicles are more 'experiences' than games and definitely not worth full price. If you can get them at a decent discount it's maybe worth it

It has literally the Most Annoying Character in Video Game History though (and I don't say that lightly) so be prepared for that

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Anyway, having sex in VR with another human sounds clunky and awkward to me but if someone takes the time to recreate all the models from the Lawnmower Man VR sex scene into Virt-A-Mate then I'll consider it. In the mean time, I will just assume some tiny demographic of the world is already doing this, and be amused.

I had absolutely no memory of this scene and can only wonder what I thought when I first saw it like two decades ago, thank you for planting this seed

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Frog Act posted:

That sounds loving dope, I have plenty of narrative experiences available in other contexts and plan to buy Alyx which sounds plenty substantial so I reckon Boneworks will be the perfect complement to that. Thanks!

Another full length game is Subnautica which blew my mind in VR (I hadn't played it in flat screen first)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Cabbages and Kings posted:

the cost of that Quest 2, which I did not buy, had me thinking about the implications of having 2 VR setups in the house. Naturally, reasonably and not at all weirdly, this led me to think about using multiple vive trackers to use this to have sex with someone which is tracked fairly well inside Virt-A-Mate, allowing each sex haver to customize the visual presentation of their sexual experience. Facial tracking and "multiplayer" don't exist in Virt-A-Mate as far as I know but that project is printing money and god knows where it will lead. (I just looked at the patreon and it gets, minimally, $24,000 a month right now).

Thinking through all this reminded me of a horrific nightmare I had, maybe 5 years ago, that involved a dystopian future where people used vr/matrix type tech, to have sex in VR, but I think in the context of the dream it was used as a thing to distract me while robotic arms tried to rip me into viscera with spinning claws at their ends, and it wasn't until we got to Alaska, the Empire of the Bear and last free state, that we were safe from any of it. Also IIRC, the empire of the bear was pretty dystopian, too, cold, they didn't have much poo poo, "you're safe now! Now all you have to do is survive in an underrresourced culture!"

There is a shitload of untapped (heh) money in VR sex stuff and I've been trying to thinking of a way to get in on it. Maybe a cheap mocap setup to make scences for virtuamate or something

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There’s already a cheap way to do mocap for VAM, it’s called the Kinect.

What happened with all those cheap tracker projects that were being talked about a few months back anyway?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Alctel posted:

There is a shitload of untapped (heh) money in VR sex stuff and I've been trying to thinking of a way to get in on it. Maybe a cheap mocap setup to make scences for virtuamate or something

Steam shows you *ahem* interesting things when you go to the VR section and you have it unfiltered and because of that I know about a game called "VRHot". It has hilarious patch notes, only because I've never seen a game before include the words "improved reliability of anal penetration" in a changeset

So yeah people are definitely trying to 'tap' that market

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh you sweet summer children, just google Lovense + VRChat. Maybe turn on incognito mode first.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Came across this old Microsoft VR project that more or less duplicates TV dynamic ambient lighting inside the HMD to create the illusion of high FoV or at least reduce the goggles effect.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=af42CN2PgKs

Poking around, I found this interesting video by a guy claiming he got promising results passively using clear 3D printer filament as a light pipe.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4IHQIlRL40k

Doesn’t seem like dude ever publicly iterated on that proof of concept but I’m almost intrigued enough to make it a weekend project since it seems straightforward enough to print some lens ring protectors, spike them through diagonally with a bunch of clear filament aligned with the edges of the fresnel lenses, and then make a semi-transparent cap to diffuse the light.

But the cynic in me thinks it’s a waste of time since, if something that simple worked AT ALL to fake a perceptual increase in FoV for “free”, you’d think somebody would have already done it in the last half decade.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Was wondering how the hell they could get Cities Skylines running acceptably on an XR2 in VR but realized that the game's perspective, in particular the unlikelihood of translucent surfaces covering your view, makes it an excellent fit for AppSW.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Leathal posted:

Poking around, I found this interesting video by a guy claiming he got promising results passively using clear 3D printer filament as a light pipe.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4IHQIlRL40k

Doesn’t seem like dude ever publicly iterated on that proof of concept but I’m almost intrigued enough to make it a weekend project since it seems straightforward enough to print some lens ring protectors, spike them through diagonally with a bunch of clear filament aligned with the edges of the fresnel lenses, and then make a semi-transparent cap to diffuse the light.

But the cynic in me thinks it’s a waste of time since, if something that simple worked AT ALL to fake a perceptual increase in FoV for “free”, you’d think somebody would have already done it in the last half decade.

Seems like it would be at best a trade-off, since you'd be giving up some actual field of view to get that ambient surround?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Alctel posted:

The Vader chronicles are more 'experiences' than games and definitely not worth full price. If you can get them at a decent discount it's maybe worth it

It has literally the Most Annoying Character in Video Game History though (and I don't say that lightly) so be prepared for that

I meant the Tales from the Galaxy's Edge or whatever it's called, I played the Vader Chronicles through Revive and thought it was alright actually! But the TFTGE is quest-only.

There's also 2 simple free star wars games on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know if this is an Index thing or a Windows thing, but the last couple of times I've booted up SteamVR the Index doesn't show up as an audio device unless I "troubleshoot" audio issues and then after the Windows audio test the Index's audio will connect.

It does it with my TV sometimes too so I dunno :shrug: