Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh good, hopefully the next expansion will fix the map gen and add more water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Has anyone tried the Stronghold mod that just got released to 1.0?

Looks really fun and interesting.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
that does look pretty neat

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

I ended up trying this and it is fun. It's a nice way to have a settlement exactly where you want with exactly the buildings you want, although you can't recruit from it. It's definitely a big bonus to the player but the start up costs aren't cheap. Everything is like 10k gold + so by the time you have the thing fully up and running it's the late game anyway. The two nicest bonuses to it IMO are that you can stash bros there and that there are trade caravan missions that go to it. Stashing bros there is nice because it's a good place to put your beefed up farmhands or whatever once you have sellswords and other better bros. If disaster strikes you can go back and pick up some of your veterans to help level any new dudes. Caravans are basically just free gold. You do the mission and get paid like normal, but then you also get gold in the settlement's storage building. It's usually like 40-50k at once. There's also a gold mine building you can build that gives you some bonus income.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Ugh stop giving me Webknechts for disappearing villagers. I have 10 reinforced nets. I can't just sell the drat silk, it irritates my brain if I do that. I want nachos or direwolves!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Remember when they were going to abandon Battle Brothers straight after release to go make their Jagged-Alliance style game? I'm glad they made the good business decision.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Wartales, a similar looking game, released early access today on Steam. Company that made it has a few successful releases under their belt, so I should hope this will be solid too. Either way, I'm not buying it at least for a few months to see how their production cycle goes.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah I was just looking at it on Steam. Art aside it looks like it’s taken quite a bit of inspiration from BB. I really liked their Northgard game and I remember it having a positive Early Access period so maybe I’ll give this a shot, too. Early player reviews seem decent.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I bit the bullet and bought Wartales and will report on it - is there a better thread for doing so than the BB one? I know it's related, but I don't want to be too off topic, nor start a brand new thread for a game of unknown worth.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

I bit the bullet and bought Wartales and will report on it - is there a better thread for doing so than the BB one? I know it's related, but I don't want to be too off topic, nor start a brand new thread for a game of unknown worth.

Personally I'd like to see your thoughts in here, I took a look at the trailers and it really does seem like 3D Battle Brothers which is probably of interest to a lot of people itt.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

vyelkin posted:

Personally I'd like to see your thoughts in here, I took a look at the trailers and it really does seem like 3D Battle Brothers which is probably of interest to a lot of people itt.

Very much same. I really like Battle Brothers, but I do find it very frustrating at times. Something new in that genre is good information anyways.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Will play it tonight and do a trip report for sure then! I've logged a lot of BB hours so I can relate it to that as well.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I need another Brothers of Battle in my life but I would like to hear your thoughts.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Same, I forgot why I had this on my wishlist until this convo, I'd love a goon report

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
it's got a long ways to go, kinda lacks the charm of battle bros and parts of it are randomly in french but it's okay. equipping your dudes is seriously counter-intuitive and the interface is a mess in general, reminds me of solasta in that regard.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

been playing Wartales for a couple hours now

Strongest start so far seems to be
- Deserters background: Swordsman, Archer, Ranger, Brute is a strong lineup / +50% starting EXP
- Boon: +10% CON
- Malus: -1 carry weight for each party member
- reroll for good traits/starting gear (taunt on your brute, wrath on as much dps as possible, shield on brute, etc)

the map is static so i hope they add some kind of rng seeding in the future

the font is tiny and you can't rebind keys

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 2, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think it's fair to record that by 'out' we mean that it's entered 'early access' with all the quality caveats you should expect from that.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Alchenar posted:

Remember when they were going to abandon Battle Brothers straight after release to go make their Jagged-Alliance style game? I'm glad they made the good business decision.

Especially great decision considering JA3 is now under development by reputable strategy dev which promises a true tactical turn-based sequel to JA2. They possess the actual JA IP, all the old character rights, and voices. They are following the JA2 design exactly so far. I'm glad Battle Brothers devs stayed the course on their own unique game. There is already a sea of crappy JA knockoffs out there anyway.

Wartales (as a BB fan) is a mixed bag. While interesting, the battle feel is similar to the (new) X-COM arcade gameplay, a big departure for those that like the tactical grid system. All characters have different realistic physical "size" in the game which makes your brain correlate everything to being true distance on-screen (wolves take up much more space than a human on the battle map). This makes things like archers just look out of place as it seems they can only shoot at a max distance of 5 or 6 feet in front of them. Expansion of survivalist gameplay is a nice addition that a lot of BB mods added on anyway and people will like. The graphics are good. The action clicker mini-games (like mining) seem completely out of place in a strategy game and just look like unnecessary busywork (why not just have them automatically collect it as a foraging action?) I'll keep an eye on how it develops.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 2, 2021

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Wartales early access roadmap

Good that they're addressing one of the main concerns (level scaling) early

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Is it any good? Everything I've read has been along the lines of "it's like Battle Brothers but with less personality"

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

BB was in rough shape during the first couple early access releases too from what I can remember

There's a bunch of unimplemented things like skills beyond level 5 (the current level cap), the recruit pool seemingly not refilling unless you recruit/dismiss them, recruiting captured enemies, skill trees for animal companions, etc
The current EA build has 3 regions total and you only start with 1 of them unlocked at party creation

I have 15 hours in it so far so it's scratching some kind of itch :shrug:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
who cares about things like 'gameplay' and 'fun' -- all i want to know is, does it have a BB-level soundtrack????

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Eason the Fifth posted:

who cares about things like 'gameplay' and 'fun' -- all i want to know is, does it have a BB-level soundtrack????

:hmmyes: Agreed.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Battle brothers over world themes are burned into my subconscious

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The undead theme is legitimately horrifying and somehow better than most Hollywood-caliber horror music

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
that one tune that's also licensed by last kingdom.

to answer the question, if wartales even has a soundtrack it's exactly that memorable.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Battle brothers over world themes are burned into my subconscious

Posts you can hear

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I still gush about the sounds of impacts that they recorded. Something like a fatal flail hit to the head just sounds so good!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

vyelkin posted:

Posts you can hear

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

:five:

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 4, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

:bisonyes:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Games › Battle Brothers: hrgrglrglgrl

EDIT: Added that to the OP because lmao

Nordick fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 4, 2021

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I picked this up the other day. It wasn't on my radar somehow, but I saw it mentioned in early reviews of WarTales (which was definitely on my radar). I'm really digging it so far, thanks for the very helpful OP. Is there a mod scene at all? It seems like it would be the perfect base for a lot of interesting mods

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Mods aren't integrated on to steam but you can download them somewhere like Nexus Mods. I would say the base game is completely fine though. I played for about 100 hours just normal before I ever ventured into the world of mods. Most mods seem to be things to adjust QOL rather than big overhauls but there are some fun ones. I use one that lets you build your own settlement wherever you want on the map. There's also another one that lets you craft weapons and armor (using trade resources like metal, wood, etc). There are mods that add new mercenary backgrounds, etc.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I picked this up the other day. It wasn't on my radar somehow, but I saw it mentioned in early reviews of WarTales (which was definitely on my radar). I'm really digging it so far, thanks for the very helpful OP. Is there a mod scene at all? It seems like it would be the perfect base for a lot of interesting mods

I haven't really looked into it, but there is a fair amount of various mods on the Nexus.

Also, some stuff in the OP might be outdated at this point, so if you come across anything that seems to work differently, or any of the advice turns out to be bogus, let me know.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The game is great without any mods but they do exist. Personally I like the Veteran Levels mod but that's because my favourite part of any RPG is the overpowered endgame.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Alright finally got a few hours into Wartales, here's my thoughts:

Basic Gameplay Loop

The basic gameplay loop of Wartales is pretty much the same as Battle Bros - you are a mercenary group that needs money to pay its dudes/dudettes, does contracts for that money, recruits more mercenaries, rinse and repeat. So it's effectively do a few combats, go back to town and turn them in, and do more combats.

Healing and repairing is pretty similar - you have repair parts for equipment and medicine for health. It seems like health doesn't always require medicine, but does if your guys get injured. Unlike battle bros, if your mercenary gets down to 0HP they get the "dying" status and can't use skills and get half movement, with the next instance of damage killing them. They can be healed back to non-dying, or be killed.

You have an upgradable and modular camp where you do crafting, pay your dudes, and feed them. A very cool addition that is implemented pretty well.

Combat

The combat is actually pretty satisfying, and probably one of the better parts of the game. It's turned based, with action points serving as additional/more powerful attacks.

Your mercs get one turn each round, but can move in whatever order you want. Enemies are in a predictable order but are staggered with yours, so there's some good strategy in trying to kill or occupy the enemies going earlier, run your low health dudes away before they attack, etc.

Generally, your mercs get 1 move and 1 combat action per turn. It varies a lot by class and weapon type though, with some getting two different weapon attacks, others getting one attack + a utility of some kind, and others needing to "charge" their attack for a turn before they wack a bunch of enemies. It's well varied and pretty satisfying.

The action points mentioned above are a shared team resource, and are used for more powerful or additional attacks. You regenerate them with abilities/passives your mercs have, such as engaging in combat, hitting more enemies, etc. You also get a few from resting each day.

Classes and Professions

There are 4-5 base classes (I think?) that branch into 3 subclasses per class. I'm not entirely sure which ones do what as there are a bunch and it's not really well explained, but you've got a roguey type, a ranged type, a swordsperson type, and a giant blunt weapons/shield (sometimes?) type? Either way they're fun and varied enough to make it interesting. The exact class functions vary and are changed or enhanced by weapon types, which each have different attacks/abilities (like BB).

The professions seem cool so far - each merc gets a profession that vary from alchemy, to smithing, to fishing, etc. They can only have one at time, and it gives some slight combat benefits, but mostly you want one merc with each profession. The profession allows them to craft, mine, fish, cook, or whatever the profession governs. Something that needs more development but at it's core is solid as is.

My one big gripe is that there's bizarre clicker minigames with some of the professions, which I'm not a fan of, but they're not super obnoxious.

The Map

You move around the map much like Mount and Blade or BB, colliding with enemy stacks and collecting resources strewn about. Enemies have facing on the map so you can ambush them, which is cool.

There's also regions and regional quests that break up the gameplay loop a bit, with some competing factions and whatnot. If you're naughty enough, guards will attack you. I haven't really gotten into that stuff much.

I would rather have random map generation because it's boring (and static as another poster said) and definitely a weaker element, though the hand crafted ones aren't terrible.

The UI and Mechanics Opacity

The UI sucks, badly, and is the worst part of the game. You visit locations around the map, from towns to lairs (mines, camps, hideouts, etc) where everything is a point and click adventure, and you have to swing your mouse around to find things you can interact with like chests or resources. It's mostly obvious what to click on, but I'm not a fan. I'd rather they just highlight what's important.

The biggest problem for me though is the difficulty in understanding some mechanics - not a lot beyond the basics is explained to you, and you're kind of left to discover how things work. I randomly found I could capture animals/enemies, but only after I bought a rope/chain and the option to knock out an enemy appeared. What are the circumstances that let me knock enemies out? Still not 100% sure, but it involves surrounding them!?

This gripe may seem minor after a bunch of praise above, but it really really makes the game confusing and less satisfying quite often. Maybe I'm just an idiot and can't figure things out, but I'm still confused a lot. How the hell do you use a lectern to do research??

Verdict

I didn't really like the game as much at first, but it's grown on me the more I've played it. The basic gameplay loop is solid, but I definitely would avoid buying it until it's developed more and addressed the poo poo UI and opaque gameplay mechanics. Hell, even if it had a wiki that explained the mechanics, that alone would make it a way better game.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 5, 2021

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'd love a BB clone where instead of killing people you do breakdancing moves at them. Like HP is Cool or something and once you've macked on them enough with your sick moves they give up. Just dressing your guys up in more and more awesome streetwear and destroying the enemy with your backline DJ's sick beats while your front line spins defensively on their heads.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You can press a button, I think it was tab, to highlight interactables in those screens in wartales

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

I'd love a BB clone where instead of killing people you do breakdancing moves at them. Like HP is Cool or something and once you've macked on them enough with your sick moves they give up. Just dressing your guys up in more and more awesome streetwear and destroying the enemy with your backline DJ's sick beats while your front line spins defensively on their heads.

Agreed.