Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

redreader posted:

IDK if this is the right thread for this. but: Could the Democratic party, who controls all 3 branches of the government

They don't. They have an extremely razor thin control of 1, for some issues but not all, and full control of a second, and not at all the third.

quote:

pass a law to make abortion legal in all states?

They could, but they'd need:

1) 50 senate votes to abolish the fillibuster, which they don't have
AND
2) 50 votes to codify Roe(a right to privacy) and remove the near-bans, which they don't have because several dems are basically Republicans or afraid of losing their seat.

OR
3) 60 votes in the senate, which they super don't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mellow Seas posted:

To be clear, it's been eight years since they reached that conclusion post-Romney, and we still don't know if that conclusion was wrong*. What do they have to show so far? Two presidential elections where they've lost the popular vote, and very mixed results at the congressional level that currently have them shut out of power (and however much the Democrats are doing badly at exercising their power, at least they have it.)

Republicans are doubling down the idea that can dominate the government with the popular support of 45% of the 60% who vote, and it'll be a while before we know if they're making a terrible mistake or not. As it is, the two most likely outcomes seem to be the Republican party continuing to lose a large majority of popular votes - House, Senate and Presidency - and struggling to hang on to federal power, or killing democracy to rule by fiat, so... maybe they should've just gone and been less racist.

(* the appealing-to-minorities thing, not the "Rubio is the future of the party thing" which I think we can say pretty clearly that they were wrong about.)

Idk, the GOP certainly seemed to have a good showing in November, but I don't know if that's a genuine swing or GOP voters being literally mad at everything in life all the time and crawling over glass to vote, and Dems and Lefties being discouraged from voting due to complete loving nothing from a party that controls the government, but lets 6 dipshits dictate government policy rather than just add more dipshits that side with them

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 2, 2021

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Baronash posted:

I'm sorry, what? Link Link Link Link

Friendbot's whole diatribe was based on the idea that the bill was otherwise passable if Carter hadn't maneuvered to get it passed, and despite all the times this has come up, I have never seen a single person who is blindly repeating FB's assertions actually put in the work to verify those claims. I don't know if FB was lying, or if they were just wrong, but FB was wrong, verifiably so.

Here's the bill: HB 1755. It was assigned to the Labor and Commerce Committee on 12/16/20. Everything you need is right on these pages: the dates of motions on the bill, the dates of committee meetings, and the date of crossover.

I don't even particularly care about Lee Carter. By all accounts he is an abrasive dick and I can't imagine I'd enjoy his company. What really gets to me is the sheer incuriosity that grips this subforum. I remember wandering in here for the first time 9 years ago, and trying to debate some folks with some shoddy reasoning and some half-remembered facts. I got absolutely curbstomped and retreated to GBS in a hurry, but it made me confront my politics and to never take a position without making my best attempt to be informed. That culture is nothing like what exists now, where folks (and I catch myself doing it too) are content to gorge themselves on nothing but article headlines and 140 character hot takes.

Also just a giant :lol: because Friendbot said earlier this year that Youngkin could never win VA, and, welp...

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm cool with assholes who want to get 'good things' passed forcing the hand of those who only play lip service to those 'good things'. I probably wasn't going to get the good things in the first place but now I know who actually would stand with me. Good yo know who your real allies are and whatnot.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

World Famous W posted:

I'm cool with assholes who want to get 'good things' passed forcing the hand of those who only play lip service to those 'good things'. I probably wasn't going to get the good things in the first place but now I know who actually would stand with me. Good yo know who your real allies are and whatnot.

Exactly. Dude was going to crash and burn either way, and RTW repeal wasn't getting passed no matter what given the politics of the other reps.

At least now people can hopefully look past the bullshit and see who their real allies are and who is against them or just too poisoned by an expectation of absolute decorum to get anything helpful done. Diagnosing the problem is important to fixing it, after all. And if the goal is to turn a legislature blue (and not in the "but really i'm a 90's Republican" sort of way) then you need to know who's actually on your side and who isn't.

Carter was probably a massive rear end in a top hat, but he made the right call in that situation and got hosed over for it (and again i'll point out that he did it by doing the exact same brand of procedural fuckery that had been repeatedly done to him in the first place. And on top of that they were openly about to do the same thing again before he cut them off and forced the issue. For people on here to ignore or give a free pass to that hypocrisy is surprising.) due to his bad attitude.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 2, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
NYT Interview with a Democratic pollster about problems in Virginia specifically, but most are applicable nationwide.

The pollster and focus group were both commissioned by Third Way, but still has a lot of interesting insights.

This was a summary of his memo:

quote:

Our weak national brand left us vulnerable.

Voters couldn’t name anything that Democrats had done, except a few who said we passed the infrastructure bill. That bill didn’t overcome their opinions that we have spent the last year infighting and careening from crisis to crisis. Voters approve of our policies by large margins, but forget about them shortly after. Voters couldn't remember any specific policies that were part of the stimulus bills under Trump or Biden, but supported the Biden policies when reminded.

Voters are unhappy with the direction of the country and don’t think we get it.

They aren’t hearing solutions from us, they don’t think we’re doing anything to address the big issues (lack of workers + rising prices), and in general they just aren’t seeing the smoother ride they thought they’d get after having voted out Trump. They thought things would get back to "normal" and are disappointed that public life remains restricted despite the election.

Voters believe the economy is bad, and no amount of stats can change their mind (at least in the short term).

Jobs numbers, wage numbers, and the number of people we’ve put back to work don’t move them. We should still talk about these (more the wage and back-to-work numbers), but we should realize that they will have limited impact when people are seeing help wanted signs all over main street, restaurant sections closed for lack of workers, rising prices, and supply disruptions. Even voters who say their personal economic situation has gotten better or remains unchanged also say that the economy is getting worse. Even where things are getting better, Biden doesn’t get credit.

Voters think we are focused on social issues, not the economy.

They aren’t hearing us talk about the economy enough, and the things they are hearing about our agenda (people mentioned the child tax credit, paid leave, free college) don’t have to do with getting people back to work or taking on the cost of goods. That’s deadly in an environment when it’s the top issue.

Education dominated—not so much CRT (which was a problem) but more broadly parental control + shutdowns.

These swing voters didn’t agree with what they thought the liberal position on race in schools was. However, it wasn’t as salient as the fact that they felt Democrats closed their schools and didn’t feel bad about it. They also knew about his debate quote on parents; it clearly burned in and resonated with them.

Summary: People aren’t feeling good, and they’re always going to blame the party in power for that. But if people don’t think we’re tackling economic issues, are putting government + closures before parents on schools, and only want to make the election about Trump, we’re only amplifying the natural dynamics of a midterm election.

The interview:

quote:

What was the first thing you told your partners after you got done with the groups — what was your big takeaway?

I was surprised by how dominant education was in this election. I was also struck by how much it was this place for all of these frustrations for these suburban voters, where they could take out their Covid frustrations in one place.

So if you’re advising a Democratic client running in 2022, what do you tell them?

I would tell them that we have a problem. We’ve got a national branding problem that is probably deeper than a lot of people suspect. Our party thinks maybe some things we’re saying aren’t cutting through, but I think it’s much deeper than that.

What is that branding problem, in a nutshell?

People think we’re more focused on social issues than the economy — and the economy is the No. 1 issue right now.

What drives this perception that Democrats are fixated on cultural issues?

We probably haven’t been as focused on the economy as we should be. I think some of that is voters reading us talking about things that aren’t economic issues. Part of it is just a natural reaction, too: We’re in an economy they feel is tough. It’s hard for them to think we’ve solved problems when they see so many.

How do Democrats balance a commitment to core constituencies while at the same time addressing economic issues that voters are confronting every day?

The No. 1 issue for women right now is the economy, and the No. 1 issue for Black voters is the economy, and the No. 1 issue for Latino voters is the economy. I’m not advocating for us ignoring social issues, but when we think broadly about voters, they actually all want us talking about the economy and doing things to help them out economically.

So what can Democrats do going into the midterms?

A big part of the problem was that people didn’t feel they knew enough about McAuliffe and what he had done. Governors, in particular, during Covid were on TV all the time, talking to people about Covid. So it’s all anybody knows of what they’ve done. So you need to tell your story about what you’ve been doing, to the press and in paid communications, outside of Covid. And that applies to members of Congress, state legislators, everyone on down.

Is there any silver lining to be found for Democrats?

If the country is in a better place next year, we’re likely to be rewarded for that. Voters are responding to real-world frustrations; this isn’t some manufactured narrative.

I want to cite a few things from your memo that struck me, one of which was that the $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan, which became law in March, may as well not exist.

Voters don’t remember things. They have short attention spans. One bright spot, though: If we have an economy that voters feel like is starting to pick up, being able to point back and remind them, “Hey I did XYZ, and that really got things rolling.”

So you think Democrats next year should spend the bulk of their time trumpeting their legislative accomplishments from this year?

We should spend 2022 talking about things we’ve done to lower costs for working families and to get people back to work. Some of those things may be in a piece of legislation; others are things the White House did. Some are constituent services.

Let’s come back to the schools issue. How much of what drove that for Mr. Youngkin is that we’re 18 months into Covid, and voters are simply fatigued and want somebody to blame?

Voters don’t think that in general a lot of Democrats felt really bad about closing the schools or felt like it was really a negative on people. I think showing some empathy on that could go a long ways in terms of: Yes, closing schools was hard on kids and hard on parents.

One of the things you also said in the memo was that McAuliffe’s strategy of linking Mr. Youngkin to former President Donald Trump was ineffective. What in the conversations with your groups made that clear?

The respondents kind of laughed at that approach. They said, “Oh, these silly ads that compared Youngkin to Trump — he just doesn’t seem like that guy.” The thing that these people disliked about Trump was that they didn’t like Donald Trump the person; it wasn’t Donald Trump the constellation of policies. That may very well have been the best message that McAuliffe had, but if we are in that position again, we’re going to lose a ton of races. We’ve got to have something better.

How much does Mr. Biden himself take the blame with these voters? Is his name invoked?

It’s Biden, Democrats — they all come together.

But it’s not like with Trump, where voters single him out?

No, and also none of these people regretted their choice and wish they had voted for Trump.

Did you ask that question?

I asked it a couple of different ways: “Do you think you made a mistake last year?” or, “If you had the choice in a year, would you change your vote?” Nobody was interested in Trump. It was not even a question for them.

The most surprising thing to me is that people think that paid leave, free college, and childcare are "distractions from fixing the economy."

The not surprising, but disappointing, thing to me is that voters seem to think the Republican description of CRT/Education problems is the Democratic position and actually happening in schools.

Edit: Other surprising thing is that apparently nobody remembers anything from the Trump or Biden stimulus bills. They forgot about the checks, expanded unemployment, etc under both Trump and Biden.

Not surprising takeaway is that people think that a politician with the same policies as Trump who supports Trump actually has very different policies from Trump because he speaks softly and wears a sweater. Personal appeal and narrative are important.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/02/us/politics/midterm-election-polls.html

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 2, 2021

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

quote:

Voters believe the economy is bad, and no amount of stats can change their mind (at least in the short term).

Jobs numbers, wage numbers, and the number of people we’ve put back to work don’t move them. We should still talk about these (more the wage and back-to-work numbers), but we should realize that they will have limited impact when people are seeing help wanted signs all over main street, restaurant sections closed for lack of workers, rising prices, and supply disruptions. Even voters who say their personal economic situation has gotten better or remains unchanged also say that the economy is getting worse. Even where things are getting better, Biden doesn’t get credit.
Poor people don't care some number on some chart is going up as long as they remain poor, loving shocking

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

NYT Interview with a Democratic pollster about problems in Virginia specifically, but most are applicable nationwide.

The pollster and focus group were both commissioned by Third Way, but still has a lot of interesting insights.

The interview:

The most surprising thing to me is that people think that paid leave, free college, and childcare are "distractions from fixing the economy."

Jesus loving Christ, this is all so god damned stupid. I'm not suggesting that the Democrats don't have to do something about it rather than complaining, but I'm just a guy on a dead comedy forum so I'm going to complain. Since when are "help wanted" signs a signal of a bad economy???? 90% of loving economic policy over my entire loving lifetime has been about getting there to be more "help wanted" signs! JOBS JOBS JOBS, right? What the actual gently caress is going on?

I think people just feel like absolute poo poo and we're blaming it on "the economy" when it's actually our rotten culture and a deadly disease that are ruining our lives, not "the economy", but our political culture has given us no way to say "everybody sucks, everything sucks and I'm afraid of dying" except "the economy is bad."

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

World Famous W posted:

:hai: this is why having those kinds of votes is a good thing.

Also reminded of the vote for a livable minimum wage. After all, there were dem senators besides Manchin and Sinema that happily voted no for that, and we'd have a harder time seeing their true colors if that vote wasn't held.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The not surprising, but disappointing, thing to me is that voters seem to think the Republican description of CRT/Education problems is the Democratic position and actually happening in schools

Yeah they have 24/7 networks saying this on 3 channels and dems have literally no coherent messaging strategy on anything, let alone schools.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Mellow Seas posted:

Jesus loving Christ, this is all so god damned stupid. I'm not suggesting that the Democrats don't have to do something about it rather than complaining, but I'm just a guy on a dead comedy forum so I'm going to complain. Since when are "help wanted" signs a signal of a bad economy???? 90% of loving economic policy over my entire loving lifetime has been about getting there to be more "help wanted" signs! JOBS JOBS JOBS, right? What the actual gently caress is going on?

I think people just feel like absolute poo poo and we're blaming it on "the economy" when it's actually our rotten culture and a deadly disease that are ruining our lives, not "the economy", but our political culture has given us no way to say "everybody sucks, everything sucks and I'm afraid of dying" except "the economy is bad."

Exposure to voters can be hazardous to your mental health. Your getting regurgitated propaganda from big money who think full employment is bad because it causes wage growth and inflation. This puts the squeeze on holders of dollar denominated debt and employers. Money and talk tv presents the economy as it looks to these people and without consciousness of their own class people just lock onto what they say when forming opinions. The average Joe benefits from gradual inflation because his debts become effectively smaller while his small number of assets grow in value. It rocks banks and some rich people because they are owed more than they owe. Major employers see payroll costs spike as workers ask for more while imports also increase in relative cost.

Remember the income productivity chart? Your about to see line two coming up while line one flattens out.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So what is the actual strategy for fighting CRT messaging? Everybody's proposed strategies are conflicting with everybody else's proposed strategies. All we really know is what McAuliffe did didn't work. Like, don't say "parents don't get to decide". Have we learned anything else? Do we point out that they're lying out of their asses about K-12 education? Do we point out that systemic racism, with historical roots, actually is a huge problem? Do we call the attacks racist or try to handle them with a softer touch? What do we doooo?

To what extent is "hey, white people - black people exist, and think they are just as good as you!" just a magic button Republicans can press whenever they want to siphon off 5-10% of voters?

e:

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Exposure to voters can be hazardous to your mental health. Your getting regurgitated propaganda from big money who think full employment is bad because it causes wage growth and inflation. This puts the squeeze on holders of dollar denominated debt and employers. Money and talk tv presents the economy as it looks to these people and without consciousness of their own class people just lock onto what they say when forming opinions. The average Joe benefits from gradual inflation because his debts become effectively smaller while his small number of assets grow in value. It rocks banks and some rich people because they are owed more than they owe. Major employers see payroll costs spike as workers ask for more while imports also increase in relative cost.

Remember the income productivity chart? Your about to see line two coming up while line one flattens out.
Yeah it's very irritating because inflation has gotten a bad rap because of 20th century instances of hyperinflation, which were very bad, and the '70s stagflation more recently - which does not actually particularly resemble our current situation, because inflation is actually much lower than it was then (so far), and the economy isn't stagnant. The Q3 YOY growth rate was what, loving 8%? Creditors and their allies have done a great job convincing people that inflation is a great enemy, caused by a profligate government, when it's actually just a normal reaction to (A) supply shocks and (B) an economy that is doing well with low unemployment and high wage growth.

Yes, it causes short term pain for some people - like Willa has pointed out, if you have an 11% average wage growth for the poorest Americans, that's still just an average, meaning plenty of vulnerable people haven't gotten a raise while their prices go up. That sucks. But it is possible to vastly overreact, especially when the cause of prices rising isn't as difficult to figure out as it was in the '70s or nearly as out-of-control as it was in Weimar, Brazil, Zimbabwe etc.

Meanwhile nobody talks about the deflationary economic panics that happened every 10 years in the 19th century before we had Federal Reserve banking.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 2, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Mellow Seas posted:

So what is the actual strategy for fighting CRT messaging? Everybody's proposed strategies are conflicting with everybody else's proposed strategies. All we really know is what McAuliffe did didn't work. Like, don't say "parents don't get to decide". Have we learned anything else? Do we point out that they're lying out of their asses about K-12 education? Do we point out that systemic racism, with historical roots, actually is a huge problem? Do we call the attacks racist or try to handle them with a softer touch? What do we doooo?

To what extent is "hey, white people - black people exist, and think they are just as good as you!" just a magic button Republicans can press whenever they want to siphon off 5-10% of voters?

Blow it off and pivot to the good things you're doing. It's too hard to explain that CRT isn't even a real thing(in public schools), and the people mad about it know that already. The subtext is "I have to feel bad about being white and I don't like that" which works on liberal whites almost as good as conservative whites.

You don't need to even directly address it, you can just talk about the positive policy you have with regards to education.

The problem is that Democrats have no coherent messaging strategy and nothing positive to point to.

So like idiots they just say "nuh uh" or worse.

edit:

Politics these days is a game of voter enthusiasm.

For better or for worse, you need to have a fired up base to win or you lose, as TMac proved.

Just saying "the other guy is worse" isn't enough to get turnout, because the other guy is just slamming hotbutton issues and saying he'll fix them.

That's the thing, Democrats don't even have to DO the things they say they will, and they probably won't. But they're so bad at this right now they're not even bothering to pretend to try.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 2, 2021

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Is there ever a "good" way to tell someone that they have benefitted from racism sometimes (or all the time)? Or that their ancestors might have been assholes? Aside from just saying that you want education to focus on the truth and not be "politicized," which is tricky and could easily blow back on you, I'm not sure what else you can say.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 2, 2021

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Part of the problem with CRT panic is that it's a deliberately nebulous term, it can mean everything and nothing all at once. CRT is whatever they want it to be to suit their position.

So, I dunno, maybe try pinning them down on some specifics? Like get them to admit that they don't want to teach kids that slavery is bad?

Of course like any strategy it has a pretty good chance of backfiring. I agree with Jaxyon, I think it's an issue where the best move is to simply not play.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Eric Cantonese posted:

Is there ever a "good" way to tell someone that they have benefitted from racism sometimes (or all the time)? Or that their ancestors might have been assholes? Aside from just saying that you want education to focus on the truth and not be "politicized," which is tricky and could easily blow back on you, I'm not sure what else you can say.

No, because of white fragility.

It's a thing that everyone but white people know, and most white people don't ever want to hear or address. Even the ones who claim to be allies.

That's why it's important to be anti-racist, rather than just not-racist.

But you're correct that it's very hard for a politician to thread the needle on, especially since a lot of them directly benefit from white supremacy and aren't good allies or allies at all.

In the strict cuthroat political sense, the tactic here is to pivot. But you have to have something to pivot to.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CRT as invoked by republicans is basically the same as when they'd yell about "political correctness" except now it's exclusively about schools.

I feel like the only surefire way to not lose is to not play; if you're explaining, you're losing. Even responses that could possibly work still have a chance of misfiring.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah it's very irritating because inflation has gotten a bad rap because of 20th century instances of hyperinflation, which were very bad, and the '70s stagflation more recently - which does not actually particularly resemble our current situation, because inflation is actually much lower than it was then (so far), and the economy isn't stagnant. The Q3 YOY growth rate was what, loving 8%? Creditors and their allies have done a great job convincing people that inflation is a great enemy, caused by a profligate government, when it's actually just a normal reaction to (A) supply shocks and (B) an economy that is doing well with low unemployment and high wage growth.

Yes, it causes short term pain for some people - like Willa has pointed out, if you have an 11% average wage growth for the poorest Americans, that's still just an average, meaning plenty of vulnerable people haven't gotten a raise while their prices go up. That sucks. But it is possible to vastly overreact, especially when the cause of prices rising isn't as difficult to figure out as it was in the '70s or nearly as out-of-control as it was in Weimar, Brazil, Zimbabwe etc.

Meanwhile nobody talks about the deflationary economic panics that happened every 10 years in the 19th century before we had Federal Reserve banking.

Long-term, consistent, and moderate (~3%) inflation is good for debtors and people on the lower end of the wage spectrum.

But, the inflation we've had now is short-term, inconsistent, and rapid (~6%). That type of inflation may or may not have the equivalent long-term impact on wages as normal inflation from monetary policy, but it does have the negative short-term impact on prices.

This specific inflation is not something you can (or should) try to convince people is "good" inflation. But, you are right that people have warped ideas about inflation in general because of the Weimar Republic and Zimbabwe, even though deflation is objectively worse for everyone except creditors and people with large amounts of liquid capital.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 2, 2021

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Srice posted:

CRT as invoked by republicans is basically the same as when they'd yell about "political correctness" except now it's exclusively about schools.

I feel like the only surefire way to not lose is to not play; if you're explaining, you're losing. Even responses that could possibly work still have a chance of misfiring.

A frank question of "Why are you letting these two faced Republicans manipulate you like this?" could also be devastating if approached right. Point out that these people are trying to trick you into voting for them by manipulating your feelings and that they don't even have or have suggested any policy that benefits you in a material way. Go on to question whether someone who lies to your face about things like CRT can be trusted with power over others and so on and so forth.

This requires a level of frankness and bluntness that most politicians and pundits would never express however. Doubly so in the case of establishment democrats, since it requires directly confronting and picking a fight with Republicans who aren't playing by the spirit of the rules when it comes to our democracy.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
You can't respond to CRT as if it is legitimate. You can simply respond by saying "I believe that teachers and parents can handle teaching between themselves, and we don't need the republican party deciding school curriculum."

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

But, the inflation we've had now is short-term, inconsistent, and rapid (~6%). That type of inflation may or may not have the equivalent long-term impact on wages as normal inflation from monetary policy, but it does have the negative short-term impact on prices.
Yeah, it is bad. I think trying to convince people that it's "good" is what Biden was doing when he gaffed into saying that the ARP was a contributor to inflation. But people are just incredibly hawkish about inflation; people complained about inflation during the recovery from the Great Recession when it barely even existed. It was used as an excuse against fiscal measures that could've mitigated the effects of the financial crisis. We shouldn't try to convince people that it's good, but I wish people just had more perspective on the issue.

Re: CRT, I really don't think "pivot and talk about something else" is an option at all. Republicans will just keep talking about it and it will keep being effective. Not talking about it will be seen as evasiveness or duplicity. You absolutely have to say something. The two posts above this one aren't bad frameworks to start from, IMO.

"Parents and teachers" is a great phrase to use; reinforce the idea that they work together to educate children (which is true!) And use the phrase "content of their character" a whole bunch, the type of people who are pretty racist but also 100% sure they're not racist eat that poo poo up.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 2, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah re: CRT, at this point they'll just pull something out of their rear end to defend it even if you call them on it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Mellow Seas posted:

Re: CRT, I really don't think "pivot and talk about something else" is an option at all. Republicans will just keep talking about it and it will keep being effective. Not talking about it will be seen as evasiveness or duplicity. You absolutely have to say something. The two posts above this one aren't bad frameworks to start from, IMO.

The above is a pivot to an attack, which also works.

The point is, explaining the issue will do nothing and responded to loaded arguments as if they were in good faith does nothing.

The conservatives know the subtext here and actually talking about the textual disagreement is useless and naive. White conservatives aren't freaked out about a legal review framework taught at the graduate level. They want to revise history so that white people don't feel bad. That's what they're using anti-CRT laws for, and always were. And being mad that history is being taught accurately in schools is not a new thing for US conservatives. Or US political discourse.

You can pivot over to "here's how we are going to make education better, rather than just letting angry republicans run poo poo", but you have to, you know, have an idea of what you going to do and be able to message it. Which the dems largely don't.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

So, even when capable of recognizing that there is a problem, they still think the problem is that voters are dummy dumb stupid-heads who believe their lying eyes over all the things Team D has done for the economy, such as

…anyway, lesson learned, it’s time to focus more on condescending totelling voters that what they think they care about is wrong, and the economy is doing great, as you can tell by us resuming student loan payments

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AmiYumi posted:

So, even when capable of recognizing that there is a problem, they still think the problem is that voters are dummy dumb stupid-heads who believe their lying eyes over all the things Team D has done for the economy, such as

…anyway, lesson learned, it’s time to focus more on condescending totelling voters that what they think they care about is wrong, and the economy is doing great, as you can tell by us resuming student loan payments

It's not the fault of the people who ran the focus group that the people in the focus group said dumb things that made no sense and don't reflect reality. Finding out what you can do to change their minds means starting from where they're at. Sometimes that means an actual policy solution, sometimes it's just about messaging. I don't think anybody involved suggested "well Democrats don't have to do anything, voters are just stupid!"

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Exposure to voters can be hazardous to your mental health.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
"CRT will never be taught in primary schools as long as I'm _____"

It's both easy and true.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The "good" thing about the CRT issue (according to that focus group) is that while people thought the Republican description of CRT was real, happening, and the Democratic position, that the CRT issue was just a part of the overall frustration about "education" issues.

The main thing people were really upset about were school closings and feeling like Democrats valued the teachers unions, government, and vague notions of public health over the hardships of parents and kids being out of school for a year. Combined with uncertainty about school policies on in-person learning, masks, quarantining, etc. and how they were constantly changing. That is an issue that will partly go away on its own and can be mediated by showing compassion for how hard it was and emphasizing what to do with schools going forward. T-Mac gave himself a massive self-own with his gaffe that won't be an issue for everyone.

The bad thing is that while many of those issues will go away on their own, they might not by 2022. And you still need to shootdown/have responses to the various other "real" education issues that are going to be political issues going forward - like trans kids, curriculum, standardized testing, math/finance/reading/art skills and funding, etc.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 2, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cranappleberry posted:

"CRT will never be taught in primary schools as long as I'm _____"

It's both easy and true.

Oh neat somebody is suggesting we adopt white supremacist messaging again.

Sounds about white.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The interview:

The not surprising, but disappointing, thing to me is that voters seem to think the Republican description of CRT/Education problems is the Democratic position and actually happening in schools.

Yeah, we discussed this focus group in the succ thread last week after the wapo ran a story on it; my response was:

Willa Rogers posted:

idiots still think it's about messaging instead of about doing:

"Much of the meeting centered on Democratic messaging and the party’s struggles to sell its agenda, according to multiple people with direct knowledge of the conversation who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe private discussions."

And of course people think that Dems' cheap talk about paid leave, free college & childcare aren't as important as fixing the economy, given that none of those things are coming anywhere near what Dems promised they'd be & instead are means-tested pieces of crap that'll take years to assemble the mechanics of administering if they happen at all.

Meanwhile, in the voters' real world:

eta:

World Famous W posted:

Poor people don't care some number on some chart is going up as long as they remain poor, loving shocking

No, you see: They should be grateful that they're making $11/hour instead of $10/hour & that consumer confidence (among richer people) is super-super-high!

etaa:

Barrel Cactaur posted:

The average Joe benefits from gradual inflation because his debts become effectively smaller while his small number of assets grow in value.

See, this is the sort of thinking that ends up blowing up in Democrats' faces. It's the same bullshit we've heard from Krugman, Irwin and itt (rather, its predecessor) about how the lucky duckies need to trust the eggheads, not their own lying eyes, or they're being irrational chuds, not poor people who are desperately trying to meet their basic needs.

vvv My point was that they see those programs sidelined or cut to the bone & are more concerned with the economics of their everyday lives. They also tune out the ongoing deets of legislative stasis.

They need help now not just "branding" of political bullshit that may or may not come to pass in several years.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 2, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

Yeah, we discussed this focus group in the succ thread last week after the wapo ran a story on it; my response was:

And of course people think that Dems' cheap talk about paid leave, free college & childcare aren't as important as fixing the economy, given that none of those things are coming anywhere near what Dems promised they'd be & instead are means-tested pieces of crap that'll take years to assemble the mechanics of administering if they happen at all.

I agree with most of your overall point, but literally nobody in that focus group has done a detailed analysis about the potential paid leave plans and decided to volunteer the opinion that they are a "distraction" from the economy because of the mechanics of program administration in 2027 and means-testing.

That is definitely you putting your own perception into that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sarcastr0 posted:

No, I'm not saying events surely would have turned out differently, only that you don't know they wouldn't have.

Agreed. Sometimes I think about how the Democrats might have supported left-wing legislation if only Bernie had tried praying outside of his colleagues' offices. But he didn't do that, and now we'll never know what could have been.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Oh neat somebody is suggesting we adopt white supremacist messaging again.

Sounds about white.

Don't assume my or anyone else's race, please.

CRT is not taught in primary schools.

It's taught in sociology, psychology and law classes. It's good but since the term has been misappropriated and other messaging failed, lean into the blunt truth.

You know what is taught in primary schools? You know what's being targeted? The already poor explanation that is given for bigotry. Also reading materials.

Sometimes it's glossed over entirely. In some cases the material is outright lies. That's going to become more normalized amd gone are the conservative judges that believe in law and facts and are willing to step in like in the case of Intelligent Design.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Mellow Seas posted:

\/\/\/\/\/\/ It's an open question. They have not yet proven that their strategy is effective. They still need to actually win in 2022 and '24, not just look like they're going to, and they need to avoid widespread civil unrest as they cement their power, which the summer of 2020 suggests will not be easy.

They let the unrest go in 2020 to make Dems look bad. If it were happening in a way that threatened them directly instead of embarrassing Dem mayors they'd have used VX instead of CS and 85% of Americans would've cheered it on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cranappleberry posted:

It's taught in sociology, psychology and law classes. It's good but since the term has been misappropriated and other messaging failed, lean into the blunt truth.

You know what is taught in primary schools? You know what's being targeted? The already poor explanation that is given for bigotry. Also reading materials.

Sometimes it's glossed over entirely. In some cases the material is outright lies. That's going to become more normalized amd gone are the conservative judges that believe in law and facts and are willing to step in like in the case of Intelligent Design.

"CRT" for Republicans includes any history books covering The Civil War, Civil Rights Movement, Jim Crow, KKK, etc.

So no, not just law, sociology, and psych.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cranappleberry posted:

The white supremacists know it's not taught in primary schools. That's not what they're talking about.

Adopting the talking points of white supremacists is dangerous and stupid.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Willa Rogers posted:

See, this is the sort of thinking that ends up blowing up in Democrats' faces. It's the same bullshit we've heard from Krugman, Irwin and itt (rather, its predecessor) about how the lucky duckies need to trust the eggheads, not their own lying eyes, or they're being irrational chuds, not poor people who are desperately trying to meet their basic needs.

vvv My point was that they see those programs sidelined or cut to the bone & are more concerned with the economics of their everyday lives. They also tune out the ongoing deets of legislative stasis.

Very true, the average is not the individual. I must admit I'm in a bit of a bubble on public perception on this. Inflation is eventually good for many. But the spike is going to hurt a lot of people and I have no idea how to fix that fast when we have the slow walk going. The only halfway loud economic message right now is the very racist ones which is also bad.

Add to that we still have the income trap at the bottom and those numbers are locked in solid as part of means testing being a loaded gun pointed directly at the foot.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Ytlaya posted:

Agreed. Sometimes I think about how the Democrats might have supported left-wing legislation if only Bernie had tried praying outside of his colleagues' offices. But he didn't do that, and now we'll never know what could have been.

Not at all what I said, but this is a delicious strawman! It's not that soft power works every time, it's that it sometimes works. Being an rear end in a top hat means you cut off that possibility.
I don't know the VA legislature too well, but I get the impression the issue is not Manchin/Sinema/fillibuster. So you have more flexibility to at least try there.

I also see a contradiction in this narrative - if the federal Dems are not convincible, why do so many on here keep yelling at Biden like they are, and it's his fault they aren't?

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Wrong htread

Dog King fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 2, 2021

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Dog King posted:

Serious question: what is the point of masks now? They made sense flattening the curve, but now that we have a vaccine, why? Isn't COVID not going to stop until we get herd immunity, whether that's through vaccine or previous infection? Aren't masks just prolonging the epidemic so all the variants can emerge?

Defense in depth, It adds a huge risk reduction on top of the vaccine, also tons of people are still unvaccinated and can give it to you. We don't want a vaccine evading strain to emerge and spread, and no masks could contribute to that. Breakthrough infections present a risk of that, as well as letting it jump back into pockets of people who can't get vaccinated like the immune suppressed. The mask thing is a shibboleth for right wing pseudo-libertarianism anyway. Though a lot of people also don't seem to know how to wear them, or haven't been able to work around glasses and such with sports goggles and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

quote:

Our weak national brand left us vulnerable.

Voters couldn’t name anything that Democrats had done, except a few who said we passed the infrastructure bill. That bill didn’t overcome their opinions that we have spent the last year infighting and careening from crisis to crisis. Voters approve of our policies by large margins, but forget about them shortly after. Voters couldn't remember any specific policies that were part of the stimulus bills under Trump or Biden, but supported the Biden policies when reminded.
Lmao at "weak national brand". Interesting that Voters can't name anything Republicans have done either. Or even really name any policy all except in the most childishly ignorant way such as "do something about gas prices!" as if the Governor of Virginia can influence loving OPEC.

Voters don't actually know anything about anything at all and vote based on vague, hand-wavey impressions of candidates where Trumpism is ok as long as it's being spoken in a soothing tone. The whole system is a loving joke predicated on rationality and awareness that does not in exist in the majority of the population.