Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Thank you for checking that.

Yeah, I’m not sure if VCAs topping out at unity are common or not. Apparently the original version of the Doepfer A-132-3 did, and the second version amplified the signal above unity.

I wonder how many VCAs on the market are more like attenuators than amplifiers. :stare:

I think it's pretty uncommon but one example I can think of is the Intellijel Quad VCA which has a Boost switch that can amplify the signal beyond unity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I think someone here ordered an Onde Magnetique when I did last March- I reached out to Scott, the creator, about a time frame for shipping and he sent this back:

"I'm still waiting on the enclosures. They ran into some production issues but things seem to be on track now. I hesitate to give a shipping timeframe before I have them in hand, but im hoping it won’t be much longer.

Sorry for the long wait!"

I always feel like I am playing blackjack with contacting boutiques because you never know how these people are and I don't want to get sent to the back of the line for impertinence but overall a good experience.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

clipping an analog signal owns, clipping a digital signal is unbearable

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

unless we’re talking dsp specifically designed for clipping of course

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I think someone here ordered an Onde Magnetique when I did last March- I reached out to Scott, the creator, about a time frame for shipping and he sent this back:

"I'm still waiting on the enclosures. They ran into some production issues but things seem to be on track now. I hesitate to give a shipping timeframe before I have them in hand, but im hoping it won’t be much longer.

Sorry for the long wait!"

I always feel like I am playing blackjack with contacting boutiques because you never know how these people are and I don't want to get sent to the back of the line for impertinence but overall a good experience.

That was me! I emailed him last week and got pretty much the same response

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

That was me! I emailed him last week and got pretty much the same response

In the last year both Koma and Dada Machines went silent after fulfilling all their orders and I was like, "oh poo poo, not again not before I get my stuff!"

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

B33rChiller posted:

I plan to. I figure those missing bits will come later, but their absence at present is a disappointment.
That's all, was just a statement on the current status.
As a pleasant surprise, the upgrade process didn't remove the old version, so I didn't lose any of my old patches.
The new multi module select and duplicate with cables feature had me really excited. I'll check back in a while to see what else has been ported.

valley is back!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Having some trouble getting the BeatStep Pro’s Drum Sequencer or Control Mode to send MIDI to the Volca Drum.

I have the Volca listening to channel 1. On the BSP, I have Control Mode on channel 4, Sequencer 1 on channel 3, Sequencer 2 on channel 2, and Drum on channel 1.

None of the pads in Drum elicit any noise from the Volca when it is set to channel 1. S1, S2, and Control don’t either - they’re set to the wrong channels.

When I set any of the sequencers to channel 1, hitting the pads plays noise on the Volca. When I set Control to channel 1, nothing happens, as it does on Drum. I’m at a loss re: Control.

Did I misunderstand how the Drum Sequencer works on the BSP? I would expect it to send MIDI data in an identical manner to the Sequencers, but apparently not. What’s going on?

Edit: got it. Apparently I need to outright reprogram the pads. :psyduck: ok

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 2, 2021

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

Pollyanna posted:

Did I misunderstand how the Drum Sequencer works on the BSP? I would expect it to send MIDI data in an identical manner to the Sequencers, but apparently not. What’s going on?

Edit: got it. Apparently I need to outright reprogram the pads. :psyduck: ok

This leaves you with many other pads you can assign to other gear. I sequence both a Volca drum and an Electribe on the same drum track.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do you use single or split mode on the Drum?

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

Pollyanna posted:

Do you use single or split mode on the Drum?

Split channel 1-6, and then I can manually enter the note data for the ER-1 on the remaining pads. I can post a photo of my midi control center settings if you’d like.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yes, please!

Edit: oh, and to clarify - it does still work if the BSP is disconnected from the PC, right?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 3, 2021

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Assembled NTS-1 last night. Included USB cable is very short and not enough inputs on my mixer to accommodate an additional stereo line source.

Keystep 37 creates some space issues on my desk. Makes me wish I'd gotten the module version of the xd. Might have to DIY a slide out shelf.

Got some things to figure out. Otherwise I'm having a blast.

Probably going to buy a Volca Drum.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

kidfresca posted:

Assembled NTS-1 last night. Included USB cable is very short and not enough inputs on my mixer to accommodate an additional stereo line source.

Keystep 37 creates some space issues on my desk. Makes me wish I'd gotten the module version of the xd. Might have to DIY a slide out shelf.

Got some things to figure out. Otherwise I'm having a blast.

And last night I got out the TD-3 for the first time, mashed random buttons, got no joy and said screw it, connected the MIDI theremin and yes, you can just use it as a nice little monophonic synth. I've never seen anybody do that so I just thought I'd give it a try. It was an impulse purchase, but as a synth it sounds really nice right off the bat, albeit mono.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

kidfresca posted:

The Volca Drum is one of the last pieces of non-modular gear I own, I love it. Although I do wish there were a eurorack version that had CV control over the different parameters, that would be an insane amount of fun. As it is, I mostly route mine into my modular rig and put it through a wavefolder or some other kind of distortion for fun crunchy drum sounds.

I managed to snag, among other things, a used Mutable Instruments Kinks yesterday, and it's surprising Emilie discontinued it because it's so useful to have a bunch of utilities like this in one 4HP module, especially since it's DC-coupled and can process audio signals. The online manual is also great at suggesting creative ways to use it, e.g. using the S&H with a high-rate pulse wave triggering an audio input to work as a bitcrusher, in such a way that a relative novice like me can understand it easily. Honestly, I love all the MI modules (or their clones) I've used, except Clouds still eludes me.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

I have major reservations about the Volca Drum's lack of amenities, but its foundation is so good that I don't think I can pass on it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Oscillator Sink's Volca Drum editor is handy to use, easy to save patches and edit the parameters with encoders that show the actual positions

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Did my first track using Dubler to drive the vocoder:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/work-in-progress-nothing-never-lasts-forever

It really does make that process massively easier. Required a bit of fine editing on the notes, but just getting the timing right automatically is quite an improvement over doing it by hand.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

fred frithin like a motherfucker over here

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Trig Discipline posted:

It really does make that process massively easier. Required a bit of fine editing on the notes, but just getting the timing right automatically is quite an improvement over doing it by hand.

I really enjoyed the long, slow build of this and the panning/ping pong feel of the background wash at the peak.

Thanks for sharing!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

tag yourself: I'm the screw terminal on the power jack and whatever's in the takeout container

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Trig Discipline posted:

https://www.sfu.ca/~rpyke/cafe/parfit.pdf

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Ahaha I love that they're going in hard on the weak anthropic principle. It's always seemed like such a profoundly unsatisfying non-answer to me. True, but in the most boring way possible.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Voice of Labor posted:

tag yourself: I'm the screw terminal on the power jack and whatever's in the takeout container

That's not a takeout container dammit that's my theremin!

Or maybe you're referring to the cardboard box with the adafruit logo on it. Don't eat those.

This is a project I was hoping to have ready to show off to you cats and kitties by now, I've posted it above. I got distracted with this Yamaha PSS-795 with the MIDI theremin. They seem to play together better than most things I've tried. Making some unearthly sounds.

This 795 is my favorite of all the pss keyboards I think with the possible exception of the 560. I kinda wish I hadn't sold mine. But this 795 really can make some whack sounds even though it doesn't have a proper synthesizer interface and can just do some neat stuff with mixing between 100 preset sounds, plus a really neat harmony effect and a really boomy sound. I guess AWM and the whole design of the PSS series was a dead end after this model. It was 20-bit I guess.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 5, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

these things are now stupidly expensive but they're pretty wonderful

https://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/tg33.php

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

RocketMermaid posted:

I managed to snag, among other things, a used Mutable Instruments Kinks yesterday, and it's surprising Emilie discontinued it because it's so useful to have a bunch of utilities like this in one 4HP module, especially since it's DC-coupled and can process audio signals. The online manual is also great at suggesting creative ways to use it, e.g. using the S&H with a high-rate pulse wave triggering an audio input to work as a bitcrusher, in such a way that a relative novice like me can understand it easily.

Okay, I need another Kinks for actual CV use because using it for bitcrushing and ring modulation and weird poo poo with the rectifier is too drat fun. Like, I can basically just use this as my new distortion module.

/edit: Did some techno-ish improv using an APC into Kinks to bitcrush a Make Noise Telharmonic: https://soundcloud.com/rocketmermaid/cherenkov

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 5, 2021

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

The Voice of Labor posted:

I'm the sorbet being advertised as dairy free as if that makes it different from any other normal sorbet.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A LOVELY LAD posted:

I'm the sorbet being advertised as dairy free as if that makes it different from any other normal sorbet.

omg

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gluten-free, too!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'll show you! I'll show you all!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Talenti is loving delicious and their containers are infinitely reusable, you scoundrel.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

rickiep00h posted:

Talenti is loving delicious and their containers are infinitely reusable, you scoundrel.

That's right!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think it would be criminally negligent of me to not post this for everyone to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvYpvoog9oA

I watched the whole thing and -- literally every other manufacturer instructional video has immediately been judged and found lacking.

I dare someone to find a better OEM instructional video.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

petit choux posted:

That's right!

I can't see your photos and not immediately go "why TF is this homie setting all good stuff up on plywood" cause drat that carpet looks exactly like it

But yeah Talenti it's awesome, their sea salt caramel is fuckin decadent

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

I can't see your photos and not immediately go "why TF is this homie setting all good stuff up on plywood" cause drat that carpet looks exactly like it

But yeah Talenti it's awesome, their sea salt caramel is fuckin decadent

LOL plywood would be a good idea.

I bought all the Talenti jars on ebay for $10. Gonna make a gadget out of them, gonna call it the Talentino.

ED: That's because the guys who make this theremin apparently work in coffee shop or something, all their gadgets sound like a drink from Starbucks. I can't make any sense of it but I haven't found a MIDI theremin for $60 with anybody else either, so ... The Altura and the Macchiato shall be complemented with the Talentino.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 6, 2021

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Martytoof posted:

I think it would be criminally negligent of me to not post this for everyone to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvYpvoog9oA

I watched the whole thing and -- literally every other manufacturer instructional video has immediately been judged and found lacking.

I dare someone to find a better OEM instructional video.

FORENSIC FILES VOICE GUY

Also Paul Hardcastle -19

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BTW, since I found this XP-10 in the dumpster and bought another one, I've found the original instructional video. But you can dig this guy's outfit and style as well if you like, kind of gives you a pretty clear idea of when the XP-10 was made. It is really good, BTW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UMxfhDK-Vg

ED: Talk about serendipity

petit choux fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 6, 2021

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

A LOVELY LAD posted:

I'm the sorbet jar labeled "Talent" which is in fact empty.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Finally did a video with the Muxlicer. I wanted to capture this before pulling it all apart and doing a video demonstrating the weirdness with the gates into the Hex Mix VCA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJHk_AF-e4c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

stillvisions posted:

I'm the sorbet jar labeled "Talent" which is in fact empty.

It's just like that Husker Du album now