Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Galick posted:

So I'm in the mood for some factory/production thing but not as the main purpose of the game. My best comparison is using Rimworld Vanilla Expanded to make a factory that I have to keep fed while also managing my colonists and defending it, etc. I have no interest in Factorio at the moment or in Factory Town. Any recommendations? This is kind of frustratingly vague, I know.

Kenshi? It's very much something you can set up and automate to happen in the background while you do... whatever it is you're supposed to do in Kenshi late game, I usually get bored at the aimlessness of it all around that point lol.

No Man's Sky as well, you can end up with some extremely complicated and satisfying production lines running across the universe. I always found it very satisfying to visit e.g. my hydrogen plant planet, collect my products, reinforce/expand it a bit then move on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Galick posted:

So I'm in the mood for some factory/production thing but not as the main purpose of the game. My best comparison is using Rimworld Vanilla Expanded to make a factory that I have to keep fed while also managing my colonists and defending it, etc. I have no interest in Factorio at the moment or in Factory Town. Any recommendations? This is kind of frustratingly vague, I know.

Riftbreaker would roughly fit this I think

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

Satisfactory was fun last time I played it.

Has there been anything new to scratch the Terraria itch or is Terraria still the reigning king of side scrolling minecraftalikes

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Is Fallout 4 fun?

I did not like Fallout 3 and really liked New Vegas, but always wished the hardcore mode was more about survival than it actually ends up being.

From what I've heard, it sounds like Fallout 4 is more like what I wanted from New Vegas.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dr.D-O posted:

Is Fallout 4 fun?

I did not like Fallout 3 and really liked New Vegas, but always wished the hardcore mode was more about survival than it actually ends up being.

From what I've heard, it sounds like Fallout 4 is more like what I wanted from New Vegas.

It’s more like 3.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

pissinthewind posted:

Satisfactory was fun last time I played it.

Has there been anything new to scratch the Terraria itch or is Terraria still the reigning king of side scrolling minecraftalikes

I admittedly have not played it, but what about It Lurks Below? I think it's got the same kind of stuff going on. Unfortunately no longer on gamepass.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
F4 is way better than 3. The world makes kinda sense instead of being random poo poo in a terrible wasteland, and the story is meh but OK instead of completely idiotic like in 3.

The gameplay is way better. Shooting feels good, and settlements and crafting finally give you a reason to hoover up all the junk and suddenly makes finding some glue or duct-tape a good reward for a dungeon. With a couple of mods the settlement building feels like an indie game inside of fallout!

The hardcore/survival mode is fine, but I'd recommend some mods to spice it up honestly. It ties in really well with the settlement building.

If you like roaming around an interesting wasteland with okay-ish short stories, pretty fun combat: go for it. If you expect New Vegas style writing with good gameplay and now in Boston: nope, lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
F4 is a better shooter (not a good shooter, though) than F3, and looks substantially better, but it's a way worse RPG, both mechanically and as a narrative, or a vehicle for quests (yes, it's hard to blieve) It's also more samey and annoying to explore. Don't know about the survival mode.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's worth remembering that the reason that New Vegas developed its hardcore survival mode was probably because so many people were fooling around with survival mods with Fallout 3, so you could just fool around with extra mods to get more the challenge level you wanted. I think there was also a really popular mod for Skyrim that made you have to deal with being cold. There's a lot of survival crafting games out there for you to try if you really want to get your fix, but I think most of them also have a whole deal where if you play well enough, eventually you're no longer struggling and have an ample buffer to fuel your travels. Don't Starve is probably the harshest one I've played.

New Vegas's greatest strengths are in the writing and how well the world is built, and Bethesda's definitely not as strong in the writing, but I've still heard a lot of people have fun with Fallout 4, and if you're looking for a more mechanical experience then the writing might not be as much your concern anyways.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Walh Hara posted:

I'm looking for more squad based tactics games where your teamcomposition changes over time in a good way.

Two examples:
- Gloomhaven: your mercenaries have a personal quest, once they fullfil it they retire. You're rewarded for making them retire, even though afterwards you'll have to replace them with a less powerful new mercenary. It's encouraged to bring different heroes to different missions depending on the enemies and location.
- Football, Tactics, Glory: your football players will retire once they reach a certain age. In addition you can sell them for profit. Often you'll replace a good footballer with a less good and younger footballer that has more potential. It's encouraged to bring different footballers to different matches depending on the enemy team, injuries and fatigue.

Are there any other tactical games where your team composition really changes over time (even if you play perfectly and nobody dies) and the strength of your team does not always increase?

Massive Chalice might tickle your fancy. Its a xcom like fantasy game where you manage a team of heroes. As time progresses in the campaign your heroes can marry each other and pass on their mantle to their children, who inherit traits (for better or for worse) from your heroes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Walh Hara posted:

I'm looking for more squad based tactics games where your teamcomposition changes over time in a good way.

Two examples:
- Gloomhaven: your mercenaries have a personal quest, once they fullfil it they retire. You're rewarded for making them retire, even though afterwards you'll have to replace them with a less powerful new mercenary. It's encouraged to bring different heroes to different missions depending on the enemies and location.
- Football, Tactics, Glory: your football players will retire once they reach a certain age. In addition you can sell them for profit. Often you'll replace a good footballer with a less good and younger footballer that has more potential. It's encouraged to bring different footballers to different matches depending on the enemy team, injuries and fatigue.

Are there any other tactical games where your team composition really changes over time (even if you play perfectly and nobody dies) and the strength of your team does not always increase?

Othercide had a pretty neat gimmick, the only way to heal your units is to permanently sacrifice another unit of equal or higher level. As you play through a campaign (more of a run-based roguelite than a linear narrative campaign), even if you play perfectly you lose units through attrition (from not being able to easily heal them) and you have to make difficult choices about what units to sacrifice to heal your favored units in order to keep them around. The game is designed around this so it never feels like bullshit, loss becomes a deliberate part of all of your plans.

It's a good (if pretty punishing) tactics RPG with a unique post-apocalyptic setting to boot. (It's more of a post-Death Stranding style apocalypse than a post-nuclear apocalypse or whatever)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 2, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm in the mood for a single-player survival game with a couple of must-haves:

1. It has at least one actual win condition

2. Achievable stability throughout the game. By this I mean that you can (for example) finish an outpost or something and turtle up preparing for expansion/exploration/questing/whatever. I'm just tired of the "eventually you die no matter what haha how fun and original" nonsense the genre is rife with

Any suggestions that aren't project zomboid or neo scavenger?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

2. Achievable stability throughout the game. By this I mean that you can (for example) finish an outpost or something and turtle up preparing for expansion/exploration/questing/whatever. I'm just tired of the "eventually you die no matter what haha how fun and original" nonsense the genre is rife with

Subnautica

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Hwurmp posted:

Subnautica

Awesome suggestion for anyone reading this! Unfortunately (or fortunately I suppose), that is one of my most played games of all time. But if anyone is looking for something similar and has not played it yet, buy Subnautica right now.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
…subnatica below zero?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Terraria

With the caveat that there are occasional randomly triggered events that can mess you and base up, but there are ways of building to mitigate/prevent that from happening.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

If you're down for something survival-horror, Darkwood.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Manager Hoyden posted:

It's not really finished yet, but are you hyped for Ostronauts?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

PosSibley posted:

It's not really finished yet, but are you hyped for Ostronauts?

I never heard of it until right now but it looks pretty interesting

I thought Neo Scavenger was a bit of a slog, so I'm hoping this one isn't being made with the same ideals

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Manager Hoyden posted:

I never heard of it until right now but it looks pretty interesting

I thought Neo Scavenger was a bit of a slog, so I'm hoping this one isn't being made with the same ideals

It's not really at a point where you can easily tell yet, but may as well track it on the radar

Terminus
May 6, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

Still in Early Access but Grounded looks like it should have a win condition once the campaign is finished, and while playing the free weekend this summer I had a solid base that I could venture out from to explore the map.
The Forest might also be worth a look, although I didn't really like it myself and eventually stopped playing.
\/\/ The Long Dark is also very good.

Terminus fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 4, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The Long Dark has a story mode

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

If you don't care that much about the risk of dying from hunger or exposure, how about Spiritfarer? It's a chill game that still has the element of crafting and looking for resources, even if there's no risk of dying without. You do need to feed the people on the boat if you want them to be happy at least. It's also pretty narrative-focused and you have to do little quests for the people aboard the ship, so there's probably an ending.

Astroneer is also a fairly chill game with a little more risk, and you don't exactly need to stockpile much unless you've got something big you want to build or if you want to go wandering without tethers for whatever reason. There is the overall goal of opening up all the planet cores, but it may not be a final enough win condition, there's not really a story leading you there.

Valheim might be something to keep your eye on, since it's in early access but it already has some kind of story or structure.

If you can get your hands on a DS or an emulator, I'd even recommend Lost in Blue, since I think it was the one time I was most into getting survival going in a survival game, building up a food surplus to be able to venture deeper into the island. It's also got an ending And if you don't manage to venture deep enough into the island, a time limit where it ends anyways.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

Sealcub posted:

I didn't see this thread when I asked a similar question in the PS4 thread, but I figure maybe it's worth a shot here.

I am someone who only has time to play casually. When I was younger, in rough chronological order, some of my favorite titles I have ever played were Mario games, Pilotwings (SNES), the first couple Pokemon generations, Crash Bandicoot, Jet Moto, Warcraft III, WoW, LOTR: TTT/ROTK (PS2), Halo 1-3, Call of Duty 2, CoD: Modern Warfare 1 & 2, among others.

I really like the FIFA series (well, tbf I love soccer/football, EA simply don't have enough competition, but the game has come a long way) and that's pretty much why I got a PS4 for my competitive fix, but the game has become so focused on meta and has a lot of toxic elements.

I have played more recent games like Sekiro, Bloodborne, Nier Automata, Far Cry Primal, God of War, Apex Legends, and HZD. I couldn't really get far into any of those for one reason or another even if they were fun in their own ways I lost interest or wasn't able to git gud enough in time to not be frustrated (I liked sekiro/bloodborne mechanics I just could not be bothered to progress past certain points as I kept having to respawn).

I really really enjoyed The Last of Us II - it was a mix of seamless mechanics, scalable difficulty, and a compelling story. I am working through Cyberpunk 2077 now, and I find it enjoyable but mostly for the story and immersion, the actual combat is kind of stiff/rigid and I probably am not gonna NG+ it.

I'm looking at picking up next any one of Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh 2, Uncharted, Fenyx Rising, RDR2/Red Dead Online, roughly in that order of interest to me, but I am open to others and would welcome any potential recommendations.

Yakuza Zero

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

MrXmas posted:

Yakuza Zero

Holy poo poo it's perfect

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
One of my all time favorite games is Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor. It was my first non-Heroes Might and Magic game, and I know some people think it's kind of the shallowest of the 6, 7, 8 run, but I love it. I love the adaptation of a grid-based dungeon crawler. The only one I think that has done it better is Wizardry 8.

So that being said, I really want to play a really good first-person grid-based RPG that isn't: Wizardry, Might and Magic, Legend of Grimrock, Etrian Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei, Ultima, Arx Fatalis, Bethesda games, Heroes of a Broken Land. The only reason being is that I've played all those. I've also played one for mobile that I hated but I guess is kinda popular, and another one for PC that was kind of a real-time-with-pause thing that... was... gosh, it should have been good but never clicked :\

I guess they're called Gridders. Let's assume I've played everything up until the year 2006. Maybe there's something I've missed since then.

credburn fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 8, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

credburn posted:

One of my all time favorite games is Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor. It was my first non-Heroes Might and Magic game, and I know some people think it's kind of the shallowest of the 6, 7, 8 run, but I love it. I love the adaptation of a grid-based dungeon crawler. The only one I think that has done it better is Wizardry 8.

So that being said, I really want to play a really good first-person grid-based RPG that isn't: Wizardry, Might and Magic, Legend of Grimrock, Etrian Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei, Ultima, Arx Fatalis, Bethesda games, Heroes of a Broken Land. The only reason being is that I've played all those. I've also played one for mobile that I hated but I guess is kinda popular, and another one for PC that was kind of a real-time-with-pause thing that... was... gosh, it should have been good but never clicked :\

I guess they're called Gridders. Let's assume I've played everything up until the year 2006. Maybe there's something I've missed since then.

First, to be absolutely sure because it is just barely possible you missed a spot, did you specifically play the Persona Q games? I figure, given that you listed all those and you specifically wrote Etrian Odyssey and SMT, I would have expected Persona Q to be on the list if you had played it, right next to those, having remembered it when listing them.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

credburn posted:

Starcrawlers

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

credburn posted:

So that being said, I really want to play a really good first-person grid-based RPG

If you're okay with "pretty good" instead of "really good", and depending on your definition of "good" in the first place, you could take a look at Aeon of Sands - The Trail. The writing's deliberately very goofy which will be a turnoff for some but I thought it had enough charm. Combat's not great. Exploration is fun, though, there's a wide variety of locations and a lot of paths through the game, so replayability's good if you're into that - you can finish the game and only see like 30% of the locations since in CYOA fashion a lot of paths get closed off or open up depending on choices you make in dialogue. I did two playthroughs over 20 hours so it's a pretty breezy game in that sense.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

credburn posted:

Take a look at Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Persona Q goes in the list... unfortunately, Persona Q's aesthetic turned me off too much. I don't know what it is about characters with disproportionately huge heads.

Awesome! Starcrawlers, Aeon of Sands and Legends of Amberland, I'll look into these. Thanks!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What are some good space sim games like Star Trades Frontiers? I'm looking for something where I'm controlling a ship or ships instead of a 4x game and one that lets you just gently caress around and do whatever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Robo Reagan posted:

What are some good space sim games like Star Trades Frontiers? I'm looking for something where I'm controlling a ship or ships instead of a 4x game and one that lets you just gently caress around and do whatever.

Drox Operative is a game where you play Diablo in space to upgrade a single ship and influence the world state while all the AI factions play a 4X game around you. The original came out in 2012 and the sequel very recently left early access. I believe you can find a demo on Steam.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Robo Reagan posted:

I guess Space Rangers 2 kind of fits the bill? It doesn't have the kind of depth STF does, but you most definitely control a ship flying around the galaxy doing trading and/or pirating and/or mercenary work. You can buy different kinds of ships, upgrade them, and you have a bunch of CYOA missions you can take on if you want, though they can sometimes have solutions that are very unintuitive.

I was going to say it's on GOG where I bought it, but it doesn't show up in the store anymore. It seems to have been replaced with Space Rangers HD: A War Apart , which apparently is a remaster of Space Rangers 2. It's on sale for like $4 at the moment if it sounds like what you're looking for.

*Edit*

Oh, I forgot there are also RTS planet-side quests you can do, but I mostly skipped those so I can't say whether they are particularly engaging or not. Still, skippable if you don't care is a good thing.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 12, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Space Rangers is loving dope. I gushed about it in the stickied Best Games Ever thread. Definitely one to try if you like games where you, individually, are not special. You play by basically the same rules as everybody else, in ways that are both neat and frustrating. It's one of those games I'll reinstall every 2-3 years and lose myself in it for a month or two.

Shine fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 13, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Robo Reagan posted:

They're old, but the Escape Velocity series is like this. Slightly newer games Endless Sky and naEV are basically Escape Velocity remakes. There's a lot of faffing around trading and/or fighting pirates, and then there's campaigns you can do for some of the factions.

One of the Escape Velocity games is getting a remake.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They're old, but the Escape Velocity series is like this. Slightly newer games Endless Sky and naEV are basically Escape Velocity remakes. There's a lot of faffing around trading and/or fighting pirates, and then there's campaigns you can do for some of the factions.

One of the Escape Velocity games is getting a remake.

If you're going to suggest Escape Velocity, it would be a crime to not mention Starsector.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tell me the RPGs that take on cool topics like ethics directly like Shin Megami Tensei or Ultima but in the cool exploratory way those do it, not the gimmick way games like Dishonored, Deus Ex, or The Witcher do it, where it's just kind of a story toggle instead of that being the point.

I assume someone would recommend Disco Elysium, but I have already played that. Anyways doesn't have to be ethics, just a very cool concept explored for the purpose of that exploration and done well instead of as just an inclusion for the "choices matter" tag on steam. Doesn't even need choices, really.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Have you played Life is Strange? It's not an RPG at all but it definitely takes the consequences of your choices seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Tell me the RPGs that take on cool topics like ethics directly like Shin Megami Tensei or Ultima but in the cool exploratory way those do it, not the gimmick way games like Dishonored, Deus Ex, or The Witcher do it, where it's just kind of a story toggle instead of that being the point.

I assume someone would recommend Disco Elysium, but I have already played that. Anyways doesn't have to be ethics, just a very cool concept explored for the purpose of that exploration and done well instead of as just an inclusion for the "choices matter" tag on steam. Doesn't even need choices, really.

Pillars of Eternity explores people reckoning with their faith being more complex and gray than they thought, and 2 has the main plot surrounding essentially the God of good killing thousands on a rampage that nobody understands.

Tyranny has you play the role of a high ranking villain in the evil empire's occupying army, and you have a lot of choices as to how to wield your power and how to enforce (or subvert) the law. And the "evil overlord" has a lot of depth to him too, in that he does actually drastically improve the lives of his subjects in many ways.