Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Everyone calls P5S a musou-like but that is wrong. It's a Tales of Persona game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I personally was super let down on P5:S since it takes what I like (Musou battles) and makes them small scale and also over in 5 seconds so you don't get any satisfaction from doing anything. The story is pretty much a direct sequel to Persona 5 though, wouldn't really recommend playing it first.

I was reluctant to get into it for the exact reason you were excited about it; just saying "it's a musou game" with no qualifiers is v deceiving

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I personally was super let down on P5:S since it takes what I like (Musou battles) and makes them small scale and also over in 5 seconds so you don't get any satisfaction from doing anything. The story is pretty much a direct sequel to Persona 5 though, wouldn't really recommend playing it first.

hello, goodbye, didn't even try

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Does Boon Boost apply to skills like Lustre Candy/Debilitate or is it only to -kaja /-kunda buffs?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Monkey Fracas posted:

I was reluctant to get into it for the exact reason you were excited about it; just saying "it's a musou game" with no qualifiers is v deceiving

It's kinda literally a mousou game. It's officially in the dynasty warriors extended series.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
TMS is good

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

YggiDee posted:

Does Boon Boost apply to skills like Lustre Candy/Debilitate or is it only to -kaja /-kunda buffs?

Anything that raises/lowers stats.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is my personal favorite, honestly.

It's also pretty anime, though (I'm not sure what the consensus is on which is more (grossly, at least) anime between it and P5/S), so if you're not a fan of that you might wanna stay away.

But it does have a soft spot in my heart, even if Fire Emblem's influence might as well just be the weapon triangle and effectiveness (which are both really, really nice things to inherit for a MegaTen game, mind you).

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, apparently the solution to the level difference problem is just build Nahobino around his ultimate skill dear god he crits for over 1500+ even against much higher level enemies. All I have left before advancing on the plot are Zeus and Vasuki and technically Ra but he's level 82, way too high for now.

On that note, whats the usual level before the alignment lock? I wanna go for Secret on the first go but of I have to farm Gospels before fighting Shiva I might just give up and do it on NG+

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What difficulty are you on? Playing on normal, I beat Shiva at level 87. Didn't have to do any grinding, but I did do every single side quest and et all my gospels. On hard mode you probably wanna add at least five levels to that, which is starting to stretch it unless you've been hoarding all your gospels.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What difficulty are you on? Playing on normal, I beat Shiva at level 87. Didn't have to do any grinding, but I did do every single side quest and et all my gospels. On hard mode you probably wanna add at least five levels to that, which is starting to stretch it unless you've been hoarding all your gospels.

Playing on Hard, but I have been hoarding my gospels, I think I have 10? So I could just jump over there in levels, the question is how much grinding until I get to 80-85 before popping them because I have no death wish.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There are five guaranteed Kushi Mitama spawns on the map, and even if you've found all of them, the first couple have probably respawned by now. Plus decent odds your navigator will dig one up while you're wrapping up the remaining sidequests. I think a couple of the sidequests yield a gospel or two as well, but I forget which.

My bet is that you can scrape right up to the point where it's doable without grinding, but definitely won't be a picnic.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

TMS is about managing a group of idols, making it hands down more anime than P5, the game where your teacher is your prostitute and maid.

Man I haven't played this for a while, I got stuck on abdiel and the preamble before you can fight her is really, really annoying.
I got her really close then my next attempt she killed my MC trivially in one round.

I hate party rpgs where you game over if the MC dies, but it makes more sense for smt at least

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I miss some of the support skills from SMT IV, there was a fun one called 'Bad Company' that just takes the three highest level fuckers in your stock and shoves them all into your party.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TMS remains my favorite of the recent SMT games even though I enjoy the rest fairly well. It has the most fun cast and I'll take goofy-rear end musicals any day of the week.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
TMS is easily the best modern Persona game, and it's frankly not even close

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's really good but it's not that good

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lotus Aura posted:

It's the one who's plot and character doesn't poo poo its pants so yeah.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Late late late game SMTV question: is the Abscess in the middle of Taito legit, or having a laugh? Clearly there’s some fuckery going on if I’m fighting level 99s.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Late late late game SMTV question: is the Abscess in the middle of Taito legit, or having a laugh? Clearly there’s some fuckery going on if I’m fighting level 99s.

Disabling them is the best way to go. Hit 'em with sleep and pick them off one at a time, starting with Pixie since she's the healer. They are buffed up versions of super weak monsters for a reason so they deal lots of damage and can take a lot, but they don't have any nasty tricks beyond that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but the fight is doable at around the same level as the others

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Lotus Aura posted:

Well persona isn't that great so it's a low bar

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I still think just in terms of story/character/theme coherence, the P2 duology was the peak of the series, while 4 was probably the best of the Hashino trilogy.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Persona 3 owns

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm a big weirdo with Persona like I am with any of my fandoms, so for me it's P3>P5>P2>P1>>>>>>>>>>>P4.

I personally find P4 to be the worst of the entire franchise in that it does absolutely gently caress all for me, and while the older set are still good, they....haven't aged all that gracefully.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's very far from perfect, but I respect P3 a lot for trailblazing. SMT5 has me thinking about the gameplay to visual novel ratio across SMT, and of the modern personas 3 kept the story stripped down enough you spent relatively the most time actually playing it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't know if playing more of Tartarus was a positive aspect of P3....

It's why I've never understood The Answer. All I know about it is it changes a load of stuff from P3's plot but also it's not at all plot driven, more just a huge grind. Because what made P3 a success was the...gameplay? I don't get it.

At least P4's dungeons had a theme and cool music.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
P4 sucks rear end and even as a teen I was thoroughly confused why it was so much more popular than P3. When I played P4G as an adult it was just, a bad game, full stop

I'm a little afraid of going back and playing P3 again and discovering that it is also bad

P5 was a lot of fun but it's also a game that doesn't bear any close examination and the more talking about it afterwards I did, the less I wanted to replay it

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

You can beat it around level 60. It looks scarier than it is.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

Persona 3 owns

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

cheetah7071 posted:

P4 sucks rear end and even as a teen I was thoroughly confused why it was so much more popular than P3. When I played P4G as an adult it was just, a bad game, full stop

I'm a little afraid of going back and playing P3 again and discovering that it is also bad

P5 was a lot of fun but it's also a game that doesn't bear any close examination and the more talking about it afterwards I did, the less I wanted to replay it

My memories of P3's Tartarus dungeon was not only that it was visually a dull slog, but thematically uninteresting, and kinda unexplored that much beyond "this is a dungeon we have to keep going up for vague reasons until the very end". The Kirijo Group stuff and its implications, along with the battle robot girl completely taking over the plot for the rest of the game, sidelining the other characters, etc. ended up leaving not much of a good impression with me.

The "let's date an actual child" arc in the PSP remake was not exactly great either.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the robot girl was the best part though

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tartarus ruled. Very comfy. and it was cool how more stuff was added to the music as you got higher and higher.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

P3 sidelined it's cast far less than 4 or 5

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Unfortunately, 2/3rds of that cast isn't interesting at all

Also P4 doesn't sideline the cast at all lmao

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
4 is the best one because they are friends :)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Farg posted:

4 is the best one because they are friends :)

his is really the essence of it for me. I've had many arguments about P3 vs P4 since I first played them and the topic of how SEES barely gets along and how dysfunctional they are vs. the Investigation Team's undying affection for one another has come up a lot. My favorite 2 Persona games are P2 Innocent Sin and Persona 4 and I attribute a lot of this to how much both games put a strong emphasis on the party's closeness. You really do get the feeling these people are like family.

Persona 5 seemed like it halfheartedly tried for this at times, attempting to recapture the P4 magic. but P3 didn't even bother. SEES is more like a group of cliques, teh older classmen like Mitsuru, Akihiko, and Shinji. Then you have the younger classmen, which is you, Junpei, and Yukari. And then Aigis is there and is only really close to you, and Ken is...Ken. The only thing any of them have in common is being part of SEES and orbiting around you.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I think P3 is my least favorite/personal worst of the series even though I have huge nostalgia for it like a lot of other people. To me the story is the worst in the series because it never really does anything with the Persona games' central idea of "thoughts becoming reality" like all the other games do, outside of some kind of vague "humanity as a whole is depressed and wants to die" or whatever. All the central concepts like Tartarus/the Dark Hour are barely explained with handwaving like "some evil company tried to make a time machine". There is barely any connection between the dungeon crawling and the overall plot, the full moon shadows/dungeons also fall flat compared to how much they are built up narratively since they are mostly complete pushovers compared to the rando Tartarus mid-bosses that are just re-colored normal enemies with no fanfare. I assume it was to avoid re-watching long cutscenes if you got a game over during the full moon sections but they could have easily rectified that by adding more save points to the game.
As far as gameplay the decision to make everyone except the main character AI-controlled in a turn based game was a terrible one especially with the large amount of enemies with charm and confuse spells that render you unable to do anything but watch if they hit the main character.
In fairness I think that even though I consider the overall plot to be the worst in the series the character growth is probably the series' best since it wasn't relegated to social link scenes only like the later games. And the atmosphere in the final month of the game is fantastic and the tonal shifts at the end of P4 and 5 feel like pale imitations of it.

As far as favorites in the series it's a bit divided, P1 and P2 had the most interesting stories of the series conceptually but the gameplay does not hold up well at all. P5 is overall the best package as far as gameplay, style, etc. The story was a bit disappointing after the 8 year wait, though I think people really blow that way out of proportion to say it's an awful game. Maybe part of it is that the marketing leading up to the game led people to expect a more politically radical story, when the series has always been more about the characters' personal growth as opposed to SMT games that always revolve around remaking the social order of the world.
TMS was kind of a just OK/middling game though it did have some scenes in the social links that were funnier than anything in the Persona series.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

cheetah7071 posted:

the robot girl was the best part though

:hmmyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0e07WXxrMI

I think P3 is the game I've engaged with its universe the most without actually playing the game lol

In SMT news I thought I could finish SMTV before Endwalker, but even with the delay... nope lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eat poo poo Shiva