Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Complications posted:

A lot of very rich people made sure that the health and welfare of the planet were intensely political subjects untethered to factual analysis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

splifyphus posted:

the semantic apocalypse in full swing - get you some.

:cheers:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Raine posted:

gently caress off

You gently caress off. Why do you think it's ok to talk to people like that?

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/pkedrosky/status/1466232825569431554

quote:

The past two years have been the driest back-to-back years in Northern California since 1976-77, leaving major reservoirs at record-low levels. Lake Oroville, in Butte County, the second-largest reservoir in the state and the largest in the State Water Project, was just 30% full Wednesday.

Even though Northern California received heavy rain in October, much of it soaked into the dry ground instead of running off into reservoirs. Since then, very little rain has fallen.

The State Water Project, approved by voters in 1960 and a key legacy of former Gov. Pat Brown, moves water from Northern California to the south. It takes melting snow from the Sierra Nevada and transports it from Lake Oroville through the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta all the way to the Los Angeles Basin. In normal times, it supplies drinking water to two out of three Californians — and irrigates about 750,000 acres of farmland.
https://twitter.com/pkedrosky/status/1466510236416503813

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

splifyphus posted:

exxon falsifies the info to keep the party going. carlin tells you the info doesn't even loving matter in the first place, because we don't matter, because 'the universe' doesn't care about us, cuz 'the planet' will be fine. which is worse?

trick question - both are worse. they're both figures of the same ideological formation. the view from nowhere is an anthropomorphic projection, a structural illusion built into bourgeois idealism. carlin was just a ventriloquist for exxon. cynical about everything except the conditions for the emergence of his own cynicism, unaware of his own structural function. a pathetic sop to boomer self-hatred and nihilism.

:hai:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Don't make me pull this planet over.

I'm going to count to 5 degradation.

1 Degradation. 2 Degradation. ........3 Degradation.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

note they're still getting enough water for human use, just not enough for lawns or irrigation

quote:

Nemeth said her department is in discussions with seven of the 29 urban and agricultural agencies that contract to receive State Water Project water for them to receive “very modest” amounts of “health and safety” water next summer for fire fighting, hospitals and some indoor uses, including drinking water, toilets, showers and clothes washing, but not for landscape irrigation.

That amount will be 55 gallons per person per day, she said. The state could provide the difference if local water agencies cannot meet that amount, she added. The total the state expects to deliver of such “health and safety” water is 340,000 acre-feet. By comparison, all cities and farm districts have state contracts for 4.2 million acre-feet.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Listen, FSFD, I really agree with you about it being wrong to talk to people like that. But you really undercut your point by telling them to gently caress off too.

Anyway my message to you from me, good poster PMJ, is to gently caress On. gently caress on baby.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ladies and gentlegoons, +1c presents.....

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

someone didn't get their microplastics this morning i see

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
lol if we live long enough to see +1.5c in like 30 years. what a show that's gunna be

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

we were already at +1.4c in some places like alaska, and that's before current brutal heat wave so that number is probably higher now

30 years is today buddy

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Funk you

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

why engage with someone who presents a gulag-level take when you can just tell them to gently caress off

patience and word salads are pointless wastes of time

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-03/satellites-are-challenging-australias-coal-mining-industry/100663676

There's no way any climate model used for IPCC reports is even close to accurate.

Pryor on Fire posted:

30 years is today buddy

lol

lmao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

im looking at the map... it says: i don't give a gently caress! I'm gonna take a 30 min shower hahahahah

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pryor on Fire posted:

we were already at +1.4c in some places like alaska, and that's before current brutal heat wave so that number is probably higher now

30 years is today buddy

oh yeah no certainly. global average is a hilariously misleading and terrible metric which is precisely why it's so funny. because its uh, global which includes water that's a massive mass, and as water increasingly does so making far worse far frequent weather events and thermal swings. and that also means some areas will be getting turbofucked more and others in the opposite direction.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

gently caress

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Raine posted:

why engage with someone who presents a gulag-level take when you can just tell them to gently caress off

patience and word salads are pointless wastes of time

Contra the rad-liberal credo "It's not my job to educate you" every real communist understands it is absolutely their duty to themselves, their interlocutor, and all of humanity, yes, to educate. Nobody cares about your assumed superiority - if someone is misguided you're obligated to lead them to water, yes, we have to do that. Because there are people who dedicate a lot of time, effort, men, and money to confuse us (there are also those who have just have been duped and aren't, you know, malign but this doesn't change anything about our approach).

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

°C++

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

I wish this thread didn't have to be in a politics forum. I guess it doesn't really fit anywhere else and I guess there's nowhere on the forums where people won't start going after long dead comedians for being fascist planet killers, but still...

there is no outside of politics.

tiberion02 posted:

they are all humans, yes

there is not, and has never been any such thing as a human. it's an empty, obfuscatory liberal abstraction. there is no loving neutral. y'all have some serious deprogramming to do.

coke posted:

he is right though, it's the bougie environmentalist who want to take away our cars and our means to struggle and make a living

bicycle lanes isn't going to do much when no one can afford a bike or live in some gentrified area with bikeable commute, so we may as well enjoy our lives if no one wants to make a change on the policy level, because what else can you do

you are thinking as if the world, as it is now, has a future. it does not. 'what else can you do' you start blowing up cars and killing the people who drive them. it's all going away anyways.

you have no obligation to the system that has murdered virtually every known life form in the universe. stop identifying with it and be free.

SKULL.GIF posted:

One must imagine Splifyphus happy.

emotional fetishization is a mistake. stop feeling, start thinking.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Homeless Friend posted:

im looking at the map... it says: i don't give a gently caress! I'm gonna take a 30 min shower hahahahah
:hmmyes:

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Contra the rad-liberal credo "It's not my job to educate you" every real communist understands it is absolutely their duty to themselves, their interlocutor, and all of humanity, yes, to educate. Nobody cares about your assumed superiority - if someone is misguided you're obligated to lead them to water, yes, we have to do that. Because there are people who dedicate a lot of time, effort, men, and money to confuse us (there are also those who have just have been duped and aren't, you know, malign but this doesn't change anything about our approach).

there's a threshold someone has to be at before i make effort to "educate" them

ive gone over poo poo with thousands of people offline and online and 99% of the time it was a pointless waste of energy

educating people to gently caress off is easier and probably builds character or something

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Raine posted:

ive gone over poo poo with thousands of people offline and online and 99% of the time it was a pointless waste of energy

educating people to gently caress off is easier and probably builds character or something

Most people who aren't communists are actually innocent dupes in a way, but their susceptibility to astroturf propaganda is a personality fault and mental weakness that discourse, especially online, can't fix. Thanks to the defunding and destruction of the public school system in the US few people, including communists and leftists (many of whom aren't much brighter than the average chud) can't think critically about anything and can't run their own lives let alone cast a vote for policies that would run others'. It's no accident that we're increasingly an ignorant and pliable population and the answer isn't platitudes or engagement with people who are run by their prejudices and worship ignorance, it's marginalization, deplatforming, and fighting head on with protests etc. Of course none of this matters because we're locked into hell future, so do whatever makes you feel best

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Raine posted:

I think only at the point you discover they're intentionally malign or so stupid or narcissistic as to be passively malign that it's worthwhile to disengage. Mostly everyone has a capacity for grasping the truth of things just a different pace about them. There are points where you will run against (almost) totally unmoveable ideology due to some material interest of theirs and maybe I can agree disengagement at that point if I wasn't rather stubborn. But, if there's an audience it's worthwhile nonetheless.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
we should all be nice to each other

imho

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

T-Paine posted:

Most people who aren't communists are actually innocent dupes in a way, but their susceptibility to astroturf propaganda is a personality fault and mental weakness that discourse, especially online, can't fix. Thanks to the defunding and destruction of the public school system in the US few people, including communists and leftists (many of whom aren't much brighter than the average chud) can't think critically about anything and can't run their own lives let alone cast a vote for policies that would run others'. It's no accident that we're increasingly an ignorant and pliable population and the answer isn't platitudes or engagement with people who are run by their prejudices and worship ignorance, it's marginalization, deplatforming, and fighting head on with protests etc. Of course none of this matters because we're locked into hell future, so do whatever makes you feel best

I don't think you can effectively marginalize people who outnumber you without being the enemy; it sucks and it's hard and it's not going to see results within your lifetime but PMJ's "educate people" take is the only path forward in a theoretical alternate reality where forward exists

meanwhile in hellworld, of course, chill and drink more tea or whatever this poo poo is delicious

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Irony.or.Death posted:

I don't think you can effectively marginalize people who outnumber you without being the enemy;

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

T-Paine posted:

With a good grasp of Marxism you can explain other people's ideas to them and let that play out for them. I've gotten very brainwashed Trumpers to think loving dialectically. They're really fully capable of it. Unfortunately you will absolutely hit a brick wall of ideology, compartmentalizatios so strong that anti-rationality has taken hold, and then you gotta call it quits there. Trump is a God to them and any evidence to the contrary is not heard, e.g. It's sad. Not all of them are fascists, some of them are just tremendously duped (most of them cradle to contemporary, many also brainwashed in military service). I hold out hope that there's something that can break the spell. I'm not sure. As for the real fascists they should be killed.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

starkebn posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-03/satellites-are-challenging-australias-coal-mining-industry/100663676

There's no way any climate model used for IPCC reports is even close to accurate.

lol

lmao

IPCC climate modeling doesn’t work off nation specific emissions estimates for this reason.

Which is why we get the SSPs and RCPs and all that layer of bullshit, specifically so that if Australia or whoever is lying then it only changes which pathway we’re closest to

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

splifyphus posted:

you're right, i should have been more precise. he's a proto-fascist and so are you. at least actual fascists have the self awareness and courage to act on their convictions, instead of turning them into entertainment for the very people they despise.

but please, oh great oracle, tell me more about what the universe feels about things. tell me more about the grand teleology only you can divine. tell me more about 'nature's' intentions. tell me more of what we all look like from the great archimedean point known only to that apotheosis of nihilist wisdom, the north american petiboog. tell me more about how it will all be better after 'nature' has purged itself of its jew human impurities. tell me more about how really, extinction is just better for everyone.

syq

lol

lmao

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Xaris posted:

lol if we live long enough to see +1.5c in like 30 years. what a show that's gunna be

I know you didn't mean it this way, but this is a perfect example of how deep and pervasive climate science "denial" is.

Look at where the dotted line crosses the 1.5C line in the top part of this chart:

So the "science" says +1.5C in 2040 (19 years). It also has +/- 10 years built in around the 1/3rd and 2/3rds confidence levels, so 2030 is entirely plausible (9 years).

But thats the *old* IPCC estimate, the newer one doesn't have as simple a graph but basically moves the timeline up 5 years. So really the science/ipcc says "we could hit +1.5C in 2025".

Here in the CSPAM climate thread its a widely held view that the IPCC models are missing major factors, and the reports are watered down via the stakeholders and process it takes to publish them, and we've seen a track record of reality trending worse than the predictions.

So what that all adds up to is... we will very very likely see +1.5C globally within the 2020s.

Not 30 years, more like 5 - 10.

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 00:14 on Dec 3, 2021

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MightyBigMinus posted:

I know you didn't mean it this way, but this is a perfect example of how deep and pervasive climate science "denial" is.

Look at where the dotted line crosses the 1.5C line in the top part of this chart:

So the "science" says +1.5C in 2040 (19 years). It also has +/- 10 years built in around the 1/3rd and 2/3rds confidence levels, so 2030 is entirely plausible (9 years).

But thats the *old* IPCC estimate, the newer one doesn't have as simple a graph but basically moves the timeline up 5 years. So really the science/ipcc says "we could hit +1.5C in 2025".

Here in the CSPAM climate thread its a widely held view that the IPCC models are missing major factors, and the reports are watered down via the stakeholders and process it takes to publish them, and we've seen a track record of reality trending worse than the predictions.

So what that all adds up to is... we will very very likely see +1.5C globally within the 2020s.

Not 30 years, more like 5 - 10.

this is my old rant about why we have to include the baseline year when saying +degrees.

because maybe they meant +1.5C (from 2021 base year), which isnt insanely unreasonable

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

lol i wonder how many standard deviations this is. probably nbd

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I agree with whoever that poster is, this thread should not be in a political forum, it should be in pet island

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
oops sea level went up all pets drowned

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
pet island is considering abandoning it's territorial holdings and is reaching out to cycle asylum for climate refugee status.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

splifyphus posted:

sure am thanks for asking. and how's your mass extinction event going today?

yeah dawg, gently caress learning from history or defining our concepts.

we should respect people who know their interests and act on their convictions, because we should be people who know our interests and act on our convictions.

the social contract/ideology we were all inculcated into is indeed totally obsolete. the semantic apocalypse in full swing - get you some.

exxon falsifies the info to keep the party going. carlin tells you the info doesn't even loving matter in the first place, because we don't matter, because 'the universe' doesn't care about us, cuz 'the planet' will be fine. which is worse?

trick question - both are worse. they're both figures of the same ideological formation. the view from nowhere is an anthropomorphic projection, a structural illusion built into bourgeois idealism. carlin was just a ventriloquist for exxon. cynical about everything except the conditions for the emergence of his own cynicism, unaware of his own structural function. a pathetic sop to boomer self-hatred and nihilism.

actually it doesn’t matter and the earth will be engulfed in plasma in 3 billion years

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

we should all be nice to each other

imho

gently caress you we're all gonna die aaghghhghhgh :regd08:

Homeless Friend posted:

cali goon here. i take showers as long as i want. i need to absorb that hot, steamy microplastic to relax after a long day of inhaling car exhaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Every time this gets quoted it looks worse I swear there wasn't black the last time I saw it. Why the fucj does a temperature chart have black goddamn