Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Nature's Miracle is the one to go with for sure. It's a bit confusing to buy because they have like two dozen SKUs and they all have the classic Amazon problem of 4.5 star reviews but all the recent ones are "1 star, they changed the formula and it's bad now"

Just buy one, I'm pretty sure they're all the same. I used the Cat Barf Edition to clean up piss and puppy poo poo and it has worked just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Don't buy from Amazon that way you actually get nature's miracle and not whatever scented water Amazon is selling today. We've stopped buying anything we worry about counterfeit products from Amazon. Target is a great alternative.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Don't buy from Amazon that way you actually get nature's miracle and not whatever scented water Amazon is selling today. We've stopped buying anything we worry about counterfeit products from Amazon. Target is a great alternative.

Yeah, this. The 1 star reviews aren't about a change in formula, it's people who got conterfeits.

Absolutely positively do not buy water filters on amazon either.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man, the future sucks. Can't even count on my cat piss spray being legit anymore

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah I was going to buy flea meds for my cats on Amazon once and a bunch of reviews said it was counterfeit and killed their cat, so I only buy that poo poo from Petco now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SD memory cards for cameras, raspberry pi etc are also, weirdly, a major counterfeit item. Buy those from your local photography shop or somewhere like Adorama.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hadlock posted:

SD memory cards for cameras, raspberry pi etc are also, weirdly, a major counterfeit item. Buy those from your local photography shop or somewhere like Adorama.

At this point I just assume anything on Amazon is probably a counterfeit and treat it like the portal to Alibaba that it is. When my mouse died yesterday at the beginning of the work day and I was stuck using the poo poo awful trackpad on my work laptop? Yeah, sure, give me the nonsense-named brand with the horrible english in the product description. It's a $15 bluetooth mouse that you say you'll get to me before the end of the business day, whatever, don't care. Printer paper? Cool, give me whatever. Sponges? A cheap wristband for my fitness tracker? Random plastic pots for growing seedlings? IDGAF, as long s it's even vaguely what the product claims to be we're good.

Anything even slightly expensive or where I need the actual, legit item? Fuuuuuck no.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We have 2 rooms (one above the other) that get REALLY REALLY hot when the sun is out. They bear the brunt of the sun and the rest of the house isn't so bad. They have blinds, and closing them makes very little difference. The only solution I can currently think of is blowing air in or out to or from the rest of the house, or turning on the AC. What is a normal solution for this kind of thing? They both have ceiling fans which are generally turned on a fair amount.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

redreader posted:

We have 2 rooms (one above the other) that get REALLY REALLY hot when the sun is out. They bear the brunt of the sun and the rest of the house isn't so bad. They have blinds, and closing them makes very little difference. The only solution I can currently think of is blowing air in or out to or from the rest of the house, or turning on the AC. What is a normal solution for this kind of thing? They both have ceiling fans which are generally turned on a fair amount.

Box fan in the window set to blow out would be my first step.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Super Librarian posted:

I haven't had to clean an entire cat piss hell house, but in my experience Nature's Miracle is like magically good at spot cleaning dog and cat piss

This is what I use

Sometimes it takes a few applications but it works. You still have to clean the stuff afterwards because it doesn't smell that great, but I just saved a pair of running shoes that had been soaked in piss and left sitting for months.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Running just the fan on your central air to circulate air would help for cheaper than the air conditioning and will distribute the heat.

What kind of blinds? If they're thin aluminum perhaps upgrade them to faux wood, with curtains over them.

I have to assume you're getting sunlight through the windows as a main source of heat, also heat radiating through the walls due to the sun. Planting trees outside to provide shade will help if you can. Obviously that's not an immediate solution.

Adding exterior sun shades too, in a way that blocks sun in the summer but allows it in the winter to get as much free heating if you need that in your locale.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Nature's Miracle used to be the guaranteed go-to but the name/brand was sold to another company, who uses a different formula, and the original company changed their name to Petastic, then apparently that company was sold to the home cleaning company Ecos or something.

All that said I haven't really been able to rely on any particular brand being amazing for removing cat pee for a while now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Nature's Miracle used to be the guaranteed go-to but the name/brand was sold to another company, who uses a different formula, and the original company changed their name to Petastic, then apparently that company was sold to the home cleaning company Ecos or something.

All that said I haven't really been able to rely on any particular brand being amazing for removing cat pee for a while now.

drat it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Rocco & Roxie USED to be a 2nd place but still really good alternative to Nature's Miracle, so if NM is crap now then R&R is good to go

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I tried 3 leafblowers:

1. random Amazon brand my wife found, total garbage
2. 20v dewalt using existing batteries, total garbage
3. said gently caress it, invested in a nice 40v greenworks vacuum/blower, works like a champ. looked into some of the other battery deals for black friday but see myself needing more lawn stuff than power tools right now. and i already have some dewalt tools.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We've had good luck with Rocco & Roxie for cleaning up our dog's gifts on our floors

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

Solar film on the windows. It doesn't sound like it's going to help, but the difference is pretty significant if you've got direct sun. I used something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/GILA-Heat-Control-48-in-W-x-15-ft-L-Platinum-Gray-Platinum-Heat-Control-Window-Film/1183687

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

redreader posted:

Someone else covered easy fixes.

Touch your walls - are they as hot as it is outside? Do they have insulation in them? Are your windows low-e double paned? Touch your windows, are they hot?

If your house does not have insulation you will love the difference if you blow it in. Attic and walls. It's a 1-2 day outside job. Literal night and day difference in all seasons. Windows suck? Consider upgrading them, but those 1-2 windows will probably cost as much as the entire insulation job. High quality low-e3 (or just low-e) glass does not tint the sunlight green. Cheap ones do. It keeps a lot of solar radiation from going into your home. More important if you're in a generally hot climate with mild winters.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

devicenull posted:

Solar film on the windows. It doesn't sound like it's going to help, but the difference is pretty significant if you've got direct sun. I used something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/GILA-Heat-Control-48-in-W-x-15-ft-L-Platinum-Gray-Platinum-Heat-Control-Window-Film/1183687

Oh this is a good one for sure. I put film on my picture window in my old place and it helped a lot. If you can get good ceramic film that should eliminate a ton of heat gain. Just keep in mind it will eliminate it all year round, I love free heat in the winter.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

devicenull posted:

Yep I did that in my garage, made a big difference

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Natures Miracle is indeed crap (can't speak to if it ever worked—never has for me!) and did absolutely nothing for our cat piss

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Insurrectum posted:

Natures Miracle is indeed crap (can't speak to if it ever worked—never has for me!) and did absolutely nothing for our cat piss

My dearly departed male cat was so bad that we adopted two female cats the next time since their pee isn't as bad. So that's helped.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Super Librarian posted:

I haven't had to clean an entire cat piss hell house, but in my experience Nature's Miracle is like magically good at spot cleaning dog and cat piss

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Nature's Miracle is the one to go with for sure. It's a bit confusing to buy because they have like two dozen SKUs and they all have the classic Amazon problem of 4.5 star reviews but all the recent ones are "1 star, they changed the formula and it's bad now"

Just buy one, I'm pretty sure they're all the same. I used the Cat Barf Edition to clean up piss and puppy poo poo and it has worked just fine

We got a bottle of Nature's Reserve (holy poo poo like $27 a jug) and spot sprayed all of the worst stains, then did another full spray of the entire house floor with it using a pump sprayer. We also hit the the kitchen cabinets with full strength OdoBan. The NR stuff smells so strongly of lemon that it basically masked the smell of the musty cat piss/rat turds. We might get another bottle this weekend and go over it again. We left the windows open to air the place out so we'll see how it smells come the weekend. I suspect that if the NR works its enzyme magic, we'll be able to just primer/shellac the floors without having to do major work on them. We're having a floor guy come over this weekend to give recommendations.

We ripped out the baseboards today, fairly easy, didn't have much damage on the walls/paint. Saturday is ripping up the vinyl as much as possible, then we're finally ready to actually start cleaning the place and fixing the walls and poo poo.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

We got a bottle of Nature's Reserve (holy poo poo like $27 a jug) and spot sprayed all of the worst stains, then did another full spray of the entire house floor with it using a pump sprayer. We also hit the the kitchen cabinets with full strength OdoBan. The NR stuff smells so strongly of lemon that it basically masked the smell of the musty cat piss/rat turds. We might get another bottle this weekend and go over it again. We left the windows open to air the place out so we'll see how it smells come the weekend. I suspect that if the NR works its enzyme magic, we'll be able to just primer/shellac the floors without having to do major work on them. We're having a floor guy come over this weekend to give recommendations.

We ripped out the baseboards today, fairly easy, didn't have much damage on the walls/paint. Saturday is ripping up the vinyl as much as possible, then we're finally ready to actually start cleaning the place and fixing the walls and poo poo.

Unless those are absolutely beautiful custom cabinets, those would be ripped out if it were me.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

redreader posted:

I presume by blinds you mean interior ones? The normal solution here (in Europe) is exterior shutters - they work extremely well. You can either get nice looking manual French style ones or electric ones. I presume that if you are willing to spend $$$ nice looking electric ones exist as well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Very long story but short version is that all of the windows in my (condo) building have 3M ceramic solar heat film applied to all the windows, it is really impressive stuff. It's not cheap but it is probably the best heat coating money can buy. The downside is that light transmission at night is really low so the sun "sets" 20 min earlier for us than it should

Newer 3M ceramic coating apparently has much better light transmission and a lot more visible red light transmission

It's probably worth it for just two windows, it could break the bank if you want to get the whole house done though.

Newer buildings in our neighborhood have decorative/architectural sun shades in front of the windows to minimize the amount of direct sunlight on the windows/building

edit: we also have honeycomb window shades which add like, probably an inch of insulation to the windows, and trap a lot of the heat between the windows and the shade

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_shades

we almost never raise the shades in the nursery and the temp in there is always 3-4 degrees cooler than the rest of the house even though all the windows are on the same wall/angle to the sun

the ends of the shades are open but there's not much gap between the shade and the window frame

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 2, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
TIL goon houses are at least 50% cat piss by volume.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
We are redoing our kitchen counters and I was hoping to install butcher block but a portion of the counter is going to be outside a window resting on the frame sort of like this picture:

We live in Southern California and it will be under a pergola which I am hoping will reduce some exposure to the elements. I can't find a solid answer from searching to see if I can maintain it by doing monthly mineral oil applications and keeping it covered when not in use or if I would need to finish it with something else. Or is this a real bad idea that I need to abandon?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

No answer for you but that sounds really cool. I'd like to drink beers at that counter

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Not to be a hater but won't your counter end up like those built in wood cutting board drawers from the 80s??? Do you just replace the counter every few years?

It looks gorgeous and cool and I want to party there, I just wonder about the longevity

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Not to be a hater but won't your counter end up like those built in wood cutting board drawers from the 80s??? Do you just replace the counter every few years?

It looks gorgeous and cool and I want to party there, I just wonder about the longevity

everything looks old and dated two decades later, might as well enjoy it while you live there!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Uterine Lineup posted:

We are redoing our kitchen counters and I was hoping to install butcher block but a portion of the counter is going to be outside a window resting on the frame sort of like this picture:

Does it have to be white wood?

Sailboats solved the decorative wood outside 24/7 it's called spar varnish, it's pretty cheap, looks nice enough, and should go 2-3 years between coats, maybe more. There's other varnishes as well, but spar varnish is unusually weather resistant

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Does it have to be white wood?

Sailboats solved the decorative wood outside 24/7 it's called spar varnish, it's pretty cheap, looks nice enough, and should go 2-3 years between coats, maybe more. There's other varnishes as well, but spar varnish is unusually weather resistant

If they're doing butcher block I'd assume they want it to be food safe. If you're doing any kind of cutting on it varnish is also a bad idea for obvious reasons.

Unless it's just decorative butcher block in which case, whatever.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Ideally we want the same butcher block that we are using for the counters indoors to be food safe although for the most part I still plan on using a board for chopping purposes as to not mark up the counter too badly. I figured if we want to maintain a similarity in look that we'd have to forgo a varnish so I was hoping mineral oil would provide some sealing properties when it's outside. The alternative is we using the same quartz that we are using on the island for the counters but for money reasons I was hoping I could make butcher block work.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

From my experience with mineral oil on indoor cutting boards I’m not going to say it’s impossible but you’d be oiling it a LOT. My main cutting board gets re-oiled every couple of times that I wash it because it starts looking dry and I’m pretty sure I’m a bad, lazy cutting board owner.

I can’t imagine sun, wind, and rain would be gentle to a mineral oil finish.

From a food safety standpoint I’d also be wary of putting food on a porous surface left outside. And that takes you back to doing a thorough clean before use which is right back to having to re-oil it all the time.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
derp

So we got the house power washed for the first time ever. Probably hasn't been since we bought it 5 years ago, so it was overdue. Looks great, they even scrubbed the window sills, which had several years of pollen caked on.

A while back I replaced some exterior outlets because they would intermittently trip the GFCI when it rained. They were the old-school "flap" style where the gasket had long since disappeared, so I installed in-use boxes with WR receptacles.

I'm sure you can see where this is going.

So either I didn't caulk the boxes properly, or water splashed up in to the receptacles, because the GFCI is tripping again. Been several hours and it still won't hold more than a few seconds. Which sucks because it's been through several storms that used to knock it out, so I thought I had fixed the problem.

The poo poo part of this is this trips the entire garage circuit, because that single GFCI receptacle controls all garage and exterior receptacles. Which is annoying because we have a fridge out there, and more importantly that's where our fiber ONT gets power. So no power = no internet. I put it on a UPS, which is monitored by my home automation, but I didn't set it up to send alerts yet, so of course the UPS gives out right in the middle of a meeting.

So now I have an extension cord going in to the garage until things dry out. Oh and now I have to re-check the receptacles to see if I screwed something up.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
This might be an unpopular take, but pressure washers get water in places rain won't. Let it dry for 24 hours and if it works move on.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

NomNomNom posted:

This might be an unpopular take, but pressure washers get water in places rain won't. Let it dry for 24 hours and if it works move on.

That's kind of what I'm hoping, honestly. If things start working again and it goes away for a while, then I'll probably just leave it be. Not sure how much rain we'll be getting, so I may have to wait until spring to find out...

I did go to each outlet and blow at it with my leaf blower for a minute or two. Didn't help anything, but there was some water inside the cover, so I'm hoping it just worked its way in where it shouldn't have. But that said, I wouldn't be shocked if I did a crap job caulking them And the only reason I wouldn't be shocked is because they're on a GFCI :rimshot:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Unless those are absolutely beautiful custom cabinets, those would be ripped out if it were me.

They're not that bad, honestly. Just need to be cleaned new paint coat and some new hardware. Regardless, new cabinets would be going way overbudget and we're already basically at the end of our finances with the carpet, paint, baseboards, bathroom, the last two of which I didn't expect to have to do.

edit: We are getting new countertops in the kitchen though. I'm paying for those out of pocket.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DaveSauce posted:

That's kind of what I'm hoping, honestly. If things start working again and it goes away for a while, then I'll probably just leave it be. Not sure how much rain we'll be getting, so I may have to wait until spring to find out...

I did go to each outlet and blow at it with my leaf blower for a minute or two. Didn't help anything, but there was some water inside the cover, so I'm hoping it just worked its way in where it shouldn't have. But that said, I wouldn't be shocked if I did a crap job caulking them And the only reason I wouldn't be shocked is because they're on a GFCI :rimshot:

If it's really wet in there, I would take the covers off, blow them again, and leave the covers off for a while while they air dry. And if they didn't work that night I would replace every one of them. I assume most of the exterior ones are just simple outlet devices that cost a couple dollars and you only have a few of them.