Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Y'know, you can paint them whatever color you like. Don't worry about resale value, this game's not popular enough for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

smug jeebus posted:

Y'know, you can paint them whatever color you like. Don't worry about resale value, this game's not popular enough for that.

Fully aware, figure I'll just go with what strikes the mood. There's no desire to sell these anyways, it's just a fun way for me to relax with friends and scratches that tabletop/star wars itch.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I went Canon with the first two squads of storms and went and painted my clone army bright red because gently caress white again.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Yeah I'm doing my own schemes and such for my crew. I was gonna keep default troopers in the white but it is truly maddening to do that a thousand times so I'm thinking it over. My snow troopers are red/tan, might throw red at the regular troops to unify em a bit.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That’s why my rebel veterans are all jungle-camo scheme, and not Arctic :negative:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Here is my opinion: don't burn yourself out making a theme match if it means you don't end up playing the thing you bought. I'd rather your stuff doesn't match if it means you get to play with me.

Hell, I think it'd be visually cool to fight purple stormtroopers that are clashing with yellow speeders or something, because at least it's different and interesting.

This goes for all Wargames ever.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

One thing to keep in mind is we are shown a tiny, tiny fraction of a galaxy with quadrillions of beings, millions of factions, every army having tens of thousands of military units.

All kinds of poo poo could be "just off camera." Look at the U-Wing, added in Rogue One but a great fit for the design language of the orig tridge.

I mean it's not super likely there were pastel troopers, but why not? And red/hazard yellow? Sure! I tend to like the monochromatic empire and stick at least close to canon but any livery is possible.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Some platoon trapped in a fringe world adorning their gear in hot pink to scare away predators evolved to read that as poisonous

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I did a whole unit of rebel troopers as Bajoran militia

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Fortunately I'm only gonna have two sets of stormtroopers, painting those white will be fine.

imperial guards will be fun in red, death troopers being black.. and then of course painting the loving at-st. Maybe I should do like, fire decals on the sides and throw a NOS sticker on the back

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I don't know what that is but it looks cool

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

I don't know what that is but it looks cool

Star Trek crossover

I got two mini's 95% done:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 3, 2021

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hi thread, I don't play SW Legion but I love Rogue One. That led to me buying and painting these besties:

I think I'll slowly grab the rest of the available Rogue One characters, maybe even some Death Troopers because hot drat they're cool.

Anyways, thanks for listening to my TED talk.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Looks great! what did you use for the grass there? I've seen that before.

They look a bit dusty, did you dry brush them? The gun looks nice too

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Imagine liking Rogue One and not buying Shoretroopers. The squad leader is the most badass sculpt in the game.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Director Krennic is a close second.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's going to be a few days for me to finish my rebels, finding time and focusing enough to actually paint is a bit challenging.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

hoiyes posted:

Imagine liking Rogue One and not buying Shoretroopers. The squad leader is the most badass sculpt in the game.

:negative: poo poo, good point. Added to the list.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You may as well buy the core game too while you're at it, just to do some Rebel Commando types.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

:negative: poo poo, good point. Added to the list.

Pao and Bistan come in the Pathfinders box hth

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

If it helps your wallet, death troopers have okay poses but the most deadly boring color scheme in an already monochromatic faction

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Just getting into this game. Picked up an assortment of minis my store had in stock, including palpatine, snow troopers and the e-web, some kind of lieutenant with droids, and the red close combat guys.

Not sure where else to go from here. Kinda want to do a snow list, so I ordered more snow troopers and death Vader and veers. This is exciting! It’s surprisingly cheap to get into, and the models seem easy to paint.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

You'll definitely need a core set for the basic supplies, plus an alternate Vader and the rest of his cards. Snows are generally a one-off assault unit but you can do some gimmicks with them massed along with Vader. And yeah I've really been enjoying the painting/assembly though I havent done a lot of other games to compare

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Some friends got me the Clone Wars starter box for an early Xmas present, so I guess I'm all in?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

x-post from the min-painting thread!

Verisimilidude posted:

Started painting up some Star Wars legion models. These snow troopers took about 2 hours from start to finish. The new camera doesn't quite capture the saturation of the colors well, particularly the white which definitely has a blueish tone. I think my main issue with the paint job is that I'm trying to replicate the way the models look in the lore, and it's just not a particularly exciting color scheme. But overall I think they're a decent representation while also being identifiable and striking on the battlefield when bunched up together.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

x-post from the min-painting thread!

Nice job! Wait til you get to storms lol, at least snows have some cloth and kit plus cooler poses. You can also try some offwhite/khaki for the cloth as well. I just did one unit of snows as mudtroopers

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I did my snows with greys and tans, after priming them white.

Weirdly, they’re slightly faster on the field than normal stormies, and get their free attack after moving (2 speed-1 moves is a touch further than 1 speed-2 move). You’ll still need Veers feeding them aim tokens, though :v:

Veers with electrobinos (or whatever upgrade gives him spotter 1) to bring him up to spotter 3 can make stormies fairly dangerous. Snowies too, but stormies get to reroll +1 dice with an aim token natively, so they’re rerolling up to 3 every time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah the big problem with snows is their heavies are very niche and not really good enough to make up for it. Flamer is decent but range 1 means you can't really mass it; the ion has to have recover actions mixed in- you can do some fun combos with Compel to move/shoot then recover- but even then it's a weak weapon. Putting Gideon in one as a complement to shoretroopers isn't an awful idea as long as youre getting mileage out of the coordinate

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I want to try putting snows on the space huey to get the flamethrower mixed in and loving up my opponents dude clusters from the jump.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

hm this is just goofing around on a list builder:

quote:

Untitled
774/800 (10 activations)
Commanders:
- Iden Versio (100): Offensive Push (4), Situational Awareness (2) = 106
- Imperial Officer (45): Vigilance (5), Electrobinoculars (8) = 58
Counterparts:
- ID10 (15): Comms Relay (5) = 20
Corps:
- Snowtroopers (44): Flametrooper (20) = 64
- 3× Stormtroopers (44): RT-97C Stormtrooper (24) = 204
Special Forces:
- Inferno Squad (34): Del Meeko (25), Gideon Hask (29), Offensive Push (4) = 92
- 2× Scout Troopers (48): Offensive Push (4) = 104
Heavy:
- LAAT Patrol Transport (105): Baron Rudor (8), High-Energy Shells (8), Linked Targeting Array (5) = 126

Commands: • Covert Observation, • Pulse Scan, •• Concussive Blast, •• Incapacitate, ••• Tactical Strike, ••• Coordinated Fire, •••• Standing Orders

got some range 4 storms and an officer for a base of fire, iden passes orders to the LAAT and inferno repairs it, cheapo scout troopers for tac strike

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

I want to try putting snows on the space huey to get the flamethrower mixed in and loving up my opponents dude clusters from the jump.
Full scouts with frags my dude

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

hoiyes posted:

Full scouts with frags my dude

Oh yeah those are good not just as strike teams now. an excuse to dip into some cook dynamically posed ones I been meaning to print off.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Would someone mind helping me write a list that uses the models I currently own? I don't really know anything about the game and I purchased stuff that looks cool and was available.

Currently I own

Palpatine
Darth Vader
General Veers
Imperial Officer + comms guy + medical droid + other droid

1x snowtroopers unit
1x e-web heavy blaster team
2x stormtroopers unit
1x royal guards unit
1x speeder bikes unit
1x at-st

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

Would someone mind helping me write a list that uses the models I currently own? I don't really know anything about the game and I purchased stuff that looks cool and was available.

Currently I own

Palpatine
Darth Vader
General Veers
Imperial Officer + comms guy + medical droid + other droid

1x snowtroopers unit
1x e-web heavy blaster team
2x stormtroopers unit
1x royal guards unit
1x speeder bikes unit
1x at-st

That's not a bad spread of stuff for Empire. The only thing that trips up list building with that spread is that it's a little difficult to get to 9 activations, and not really possible to do 10 reasonably which is ultimately a meta thing not worth worrying about too much. You've got three big centerpieces with Vader, Palpatine and the AT-ST. I've always been a big fan of Veers plus another big point sink like Vader or Palp for an opening turn of a good Maximum Firepower, then Veers just hanging out with the backline troops while the force user takes center stage from thereon. The generic officer is totally valid in place of veers for saving some points though. That said though, I'd probably wind up taking it one of two ways:

799/800
9 Activations

Darth Vader (Dark Lord of the Sith) 190 + 25 = 215
--Saber Throw (5), Force Reflexes (5), Force Push (10), Vigilance (5)
Imperial Officer 45

Stormtroopers 44

Stormtroopers 44 + 20 = 64
--DLT-19 Stormtrooper (20)
Snowtroopers 44 + 20 = 64
--Flametrooper (20)
Imperial Royal Guards 69

74-Z Speeder Bikes 70 + 5 = 75
--Long-Range Comlink (5)
E-Web Heavy Blaster Team 55 + 3 = 58
--Barrage Generator (3)
AT-ST 155 + 10 = 165
--88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon (10)

This one is 9 activations with a couple really lean choices, specifically the one unit of naked Stormtroopers which would be more for holding a backfield objective, as well as the naked Royal Guard, which are still a really solid physical stat line/melee beatstick and bodyguard unit for Vader and he marches upfield even without the extra model or and upgrades. The AT-ST would also like to have another gun and the Hammer pilot that gives it surge to hit. It's not a huge deal though as it's still a big scary moving gun that you can't ignore however you load it out. Overall it's a list that bears down with a couple intimidating pieces pretty quickly.

Other way to go would be 8 activations with stuff more kitted out:

800/800
8 Activations

Darth Vader (Dark Lord of the Sith) 190 + 25 = 215
--Saber Throw (5), Force Reflexes (5), Force Push (10), Vigilance (5)
Stormtroopers 44 + 16 = 60
--HH-12 Stormtrooper (16)
Stormtroopers 44 + 20 = 64
--DLT-19 Stormtrooper (20)
Snowtroopers 44 + 20 = 64
--Flametrooper (20)
Imperial Royal Guards 69 + 25 = 94
--Electrostaff Guard (21), Tenacity (4)
74-Z Speeder Bikes 70 + 5 = 75
--Long-Range Comlink (5)
E-Web Heavy Blaster Team 55 + 3 = 58
--Barrage Generator (3)
AT-ST 155 + 15 = 170
--88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon (10), AT-ST Mortar Launcher (5)

Either way, Palpatine swaps out point wise fairly cleanly with Vader however you spin it. Similarly Veers can be swapped for either the Royal Guards or the Speeders most likely if you feel like you want his Maximum Firepower card and a backup lightweight gunslinger commander for when Vader/Palp inevitably bite it late game. If you go in on anything else a box of Shoretroopers goes an incredibly long way in tightening up the core of Empire lists, as does a box of scouts primarily for the two model sniper strike team due to its cheap cost versus effectiveness and ability to hold a back objective while also contributing meaningful shots. Your current pool of stuff is a solid spread, but a couple of cheap options to get things both well fleshed out and either at 9 or 10 activations would be huge in opening up some more choice for you. Vigilance should be the only upgrade card that technically didn't come with your stuff but anybody who doesn't let you proxy upgrade cards probably isn't worth playing against to begin with.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'd also look into skirmish lists, might be easier to hit a reasonable activation count there. Scouts are definitely a good option though- even full scouts are a fun gimmick right now

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Whoa, thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for, I really appreciate it!!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I've only played a few (less than five) games of Legion and really like it, so naturally I taught my friend how to play, probably slightly incorrectly, the other night.

We ran skirmish. I've got this Krennic Death Trooper list because Death Troopers and Shore Troopers rule, he rolls up with a seven activation droid list with three B2 squads, two sets of droidekas, and Grievous plus a Bx strike team. Most things were naked but in skirmish that just brings the pain. I wish Death Troopers were just a bit more survivable.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

My skirmish games have always been utter bloodbaths, with barely a handful of survivors between both sides limping away. Not even whole units, just like a squad leader here, a heavy weapon there, leadership is dead, those that replaced the leadership are dead, if i brought a vehicle it’s like a hit or two away from crashing/burning, etc.

Those close games are always the most fun though :getin:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Same with a teaching game over Christmas, especially because I got aggressive with Cassian turn 1 and was punished for my hubris. Skirmish objectives tend to come down to a bloodbath in the center a lot of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Yeah, we ended up on Control and my options were either wait for Greivous to come eat my alive or try to take the one point with four full shield Droidekas and a B2 firing line sitting on it. B2's are feel very strong in Skirmish (says the guy who hasn't played a bunch)