Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Sarcastr0 posted:

Not at all what I said, but this is a delicious strawman! It's not that soft power works every time, it's that it sometimes works. Being an rear end in a top hat means you cut off that possibility.
I don't know the VA legislature too well, but I get the impression the issue is not Manchin/Sinema/fillibuster. So you have more flexibility to at least try there.

I also see a contradiction in this narrative - if the federal Dems are not convincible, why do so many on here keep yelling at Biden like they are, and it's his fault they aren't?
Biden doesn't read this thread. Having a lot of trouble figuring out what point you are trying to make with this nonsense. I trust Carter to judge whether they would ever stop bottling up his bill, regardless of being an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

"CRT" for Republicans includes any history books covering The Civil War, Civil Rights Movement, Jim Crow, KKK, etc.

So no, not just law, sociology, and psych.

Jaxyon posted:

The white supremacists know it's not taught in primary schools. That's not what they're talking about.

Adopting the talking points of white supremacists is dangerous and stupid.

I'm aware. But there are parents that are not white supremacists (or are racist but not necessarily full-on understanding the dog whistle) that don't understand this and are credulous.

They've already been anchored by the idea that their children are being taught or will be taught that racism is their personal fault and must self-flagellate.

Politicians, admins and teachers trying to explain it is losing. They tried this in VA. They tried it locally. In my town's case, the school board got even more conservative and crazy.

CRT is not going to be taught in schools outside of the very few districts that are okay with doing it and private schools. Admitting this and saying it's not coming is reassuring.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Defense in depth, It adds a huge risk reduction on top of the vaccine, also tons of people are still unvaccinated and can give it to you. We don't want a vaccine evading strain to emerge and spread, and no masks could contribute to that. Breakthrough infections present a risk of that, as well as letting it jump back into pockets of people who can't get vaccinated like the immune suppressed. The mask thing is a shibboleth for right wing pseudo-libertarianism anyway. Though a lot of people also don't seem to know how to wear them, or haven't been able to work around glasses and such with sports goggles and the like.

If I'm being totally honest, I don't want to catch someone's loving flu or cold at publix either.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sarcastr0 posted:

Not at all what I said, but this is a delicious strawman! It's not that soft power works every time, it's that it sometimes works. Being an rear end in a top hat means you cut off that possibility.
I don't know the VA legislature too well, but I get the impression the issue is not Manchin/Sinema/fillibuster. So you have more flexibility to at least try there.

I also see a contradiction in this narrative - if the federal Dems are not convincible, why do so many on here keep yelling at Biden like they are, and it's his fault they aren't?
poo poo, which poster is Biden, I want to yell some more at them directly and would hate to think I only did it in passing

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

If you just say "CRT will never be taught in schools" then the return question is, well what are you doing to remove it? Alternatively, your opponent just says you are lying and CRT is being taught in school. Either way it redirects right back into arguing that CRT isn't being taught in the first place.

If you want to actually stop people being mad at schools, ignoring CRT entirely and just focusing on the actual issues that parents care about and actually working on fixing the school systems is the best bet most likely. Arguing about CRT just highlights that most politicians aren't planning to change the status quo for schools at all

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cranappleberry posted:

I'm aware. But there are parents that are not white supremacists (or are racist but not necessarily full-on understanding the dog whistle) that don't understand this and are credulous.

They've already been anchored by the idea that their children are being taught or will be taught that racism is their personal fault and must self-flagellate.

That's what they think CRT is. That's what they always thought accurate history was. They're mad about history being taught. They know what the people talking about CRT mean just like the people who started this knew how people would take it.

If you say you won't teach "CRT" they won't be believe you, because you're a Democrat. You still want to teach history. They want you to say "I'm going to make it easy for you as a parent to block history that makes you feel bad from being taught", but using the words "I'm gonig to ban...uh....Critical Race Theory *wink*"

quote:

Politicians, admins and teachers trying to explain it is losing. They tried this in VA. They tried it locally. In my town's case, the school board got even more conservative and crazy.

CRT is not going to be taught in schools outside of the very few districts that are okay with doing it and private schools. Admitting this and saying it's not coming is reassuring.

Your idea here is that since schools aren't allowing in bundles of sticks or British cigarettes, we should agree that "fags" won't be allowed in school, since its semantically true.

:rolleyes:

Watching multiple posters getting fooled by basic white supremacist rhetoric over and over is incredibly depressing.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Cranappleberry posted:

"CRT will never be taught in primary schools as long as I'm _____"

It's both easy and true.
Wasn’t it enough of a shitshow last time we did this, like a week ago? Must you, again?
do we not have a containment thread

Willa Rogers posted:

See, this is the sort of thinking that ends up blowing up in Democrats' faces. It's the same bullshit we've heard from Krugman, Irwin and itt (rather, its predecessor) about how the lucky duckies need to trust the eggheads, not their own lying eyes, or they're being irrational chuds, not poor people who are desperately trying to meet their basic needs.

vvv My point was that they see those programs sidelined or cut to the bone & are more concerned with the economics of their everyday lives. They also tune out the ongoing deets of legislative stasis.

They need help now not just "branding" of political bullshit that may or may not come to pass in several years.
Oh hey, we agree completely. That’s neat.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

Lmao at "weak national brand". Interesting that Voters can't name anything Republicans have done either. Or even really name any policy all except in the most childishly ignorant way such as "do something about gas prices!" as if the Governor of Virginia can influence loving OPEC.

Voters don't actually know anything about anything at all and vote based on vague, hand-wavey impressions of candidates where Trumpism is ok as long as it's being spoken in a soothing tone. The whole system is a loving joke predicated on rationality and awareness that does not in exist in the majority of the population.

this reminds me of sports championships.

People uninterested in sports or even fans of the sport thats having the event have no clue who's playing, but quickly form and solidify strong opinions on who should win/lose. like I get that dems are bad at messaging/pr but you have this level of lcd stupidity.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sarcastr0 posted:

Not at all what I said, but this is a delicious strawman! It's not that soft power works every time, it's that it sometimes works.

Really? It seems to me like progressives have positively bent over backwards to try to appease the center-right for the last several decades at least, and yet have very little to show for it. It's possible I'm not thinking of examples of this strategy working, but it seems to me like being overly brash and arrogant isn't actually why the few elected progressives in government are able to get things done.

\/\/\/

Professor Beetus posted:

Byproduct of social distancing and masking is I've gone essentially two years without having a flu or cold (and I, who got that year's flu shot, had a nasty flu in March 2020, which was also a really bad time to be needing medical care).

That's so weird, so did I - although it was late-Jan, I think? Bad case of norovirus. My wife and I both had it and it was hellllllll.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 2, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lib and let die posted:

If I'm being totally honest, I don't want to catch someone's loving flu or cold at publix either.

Byproduct of social distancing and masking is I've gone essentially two years without having a flu or cold (and I, who got that year's flu shot, had a nasty flu in March 2020, which was also a really bad time to be needing medical care). Like why the gently caress do you need to cough and sneeze all over the produce? If you have symptoms stay the gently caress at home and if you absolutely have to get something at the store you wear a loving mask. It would be amazing if we could at least manage better hygiene practices as a result of a global pandemic.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
There are a large chunk of people who buy into the CRT framing that aren't full on racists or even people who have racist impulses, but would never consider themselves racist.

The focus group of just women voters who voted Biden - Northam - Youngkin had every single woman of color on the panel say basically, "I think they should teach slavery and all that, but I also want them to teach my children that America is a good country and that nobody is born racist or racist by accident." And all of them agreed that this was essentially Youngkin's position.

The VA election wasn't a low-turnout base election either. It set a record for turnout and the #1 issue was education. Although Democratic turnout rose less than Republican turnout, a good chunk of voters just thought that T-Mac was the establishment who was dismissive of parents and wanted to make people feel bad based on their race - including a good chunk of voters of color - and would have voted for a different Democrat or not voted Republican if it were Trump instead of Youngkin.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

It's a message designed, not to appeal to those who won't vote for you, but the people in the middle swung by buzzwords and media fervor.

The point us to win votes of parents that are fearful and need to be reassured, who instead end up voting FOR the white supremacists because they offer a solution to assauge those fears while you are stuck explaining what CRT or what the curriculum covers.

The messaging war over what CRT is for many independent voters has already been lost. You can choose to admit the unfortunate and blunt truth in order to help get those votes or you can disregard the emotions of scared (if ignorant about CRT) voters and lose.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cranappleberry posted:

It's a message designed, not to appeal to those who won't vote for you, but the people in the middle swung by buzzwords and media fervor.

The point us to win votes of parents that are fearful and need to be reassured, who instead end up voting FOR the white supremacists because they offer a solution to assauge those fears while you are stuck explaining what CRT or what the curriculum covers.

The messaging war over what CRT is for many independent voters has already been lost. You can choose to admit the unfortunate and blunt truth in order to help get those votes or you can disregard the emotions of scared (if ignorant about CRT) voters and lose.

This simply the latest in a long line of racist dogwhistles.

"Adopt the dogwhistle" is the stupidest possible response, even stupider than what the Dems are doing.

You're getting played by whites supremacists.

AmiYumi posted:

do we not have a containment thread

Pushing race issues into containment threads/forums is why we are doomed to repeat this poo poo over and over.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 2, 2021

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

This simply the latest in a long line of racist dogwhistles.

"Adopt the dogwhistle" is the stupidest possible response, even stupider than what the Dems are doing.

You're getting played by whites supremacists.

I think CRT should be used to aid primary school education. I think real history should be taught, with all it's ugliness.

There is zero chance of that happening outside of a huge educational reform.

If you're not on the school board, if you lose to white supremacists and you believe in the rule of law, you end up with poo poo like in Louisiana where they can teach how great the antebellum south is and "The War of Northern Agression."

You end up with book bannings. Or burnings. Books that can help kids learn about others and themselves.

Messaging matters. White people are terrified and ignorant which can be and is exploited to the (greater) detriment of their children

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cranappleberry posted:

I think CRT should be used to aid primary school education. I think real history should be taught, with all it's ugliness.

Congratulations, you have both been fooled by a simple word trick from white supremacists, adopted their phrasing, and still misunderstood.

CRT has nothing to do with primary school education and never will.

quote:

There is zero chance of that happening outside of a huge educational reform.

We already teach mostly accurate history. The people upset about CRT want to stop that and teach white supremacist history.

quote:

If you're not on the school board, if you lose to white supremacists and you believe in the rule of law, you end up with poo poo like in Louisiana where they can teach how great the antebellum south is and "The War of Northern Agression."

That's what "CRT" is about and what they are literally doing right now. You don't want to do this, so your idea is bad. Because without you doing this, they won't care what the gently caress you say.

quote:

Messaging matters. White people are terrified and ignorant which can be and is exploited to the (greater) detriment of their children

Messaging does matter and that's why your idea is so bad.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Jaxyon posted:

Cranappleberry posted:

In your rush to call everyone ITT racists, you don’t even appear to be reading the posts you’re responding to.

Jaxyon posted:

We already teach mostly accurate history.
Or you’re gimmick posting, I guess

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
"CRT" doesn't exist and shouldn't be constantly boosted

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

PhazonLink posted:

this reminds me of sports championships.

People uninterested in sports or even fans of the sport thats having the event have no clue who's playing, but quickly form and solidify strong opinions on who should win/lose. like I get that dems are bad at messaging/pr but you have this level of lcd stupidity.

I mean it's really nothing new, but the focus group stuff coming out of Virginia is an absolute nightmare for democracy and really any system that's based on people having any more knowledge or insight into what's going on in the country beyond "vague vibe."

Like just look at this:

quote:

One of the things you also said in the memo was that McAuliffe’s strategy of linking Mr. Youngkin to former President Donald Trump was ineffective. What in the conversations with your groups made that clear?

The respondents kind of laughed at that approach. They said, “Oh, these silly ads that compared Youngkin to Trump — he just doesn’t seem like that guy.” The thing that these people disliked about Trump was that they didn’t like Donald Trump the person; it wasn’t Donald Trump the constellation of policies. That may very well have been the best message that McAuliffe had, but if we are in that position again, we’re going to lose a ton of races. We’ve got to have something better.
Lmao, the absolute nerve of these people. Literally no one cared that Trump was a maniac, they cared that he acted like one. It's literally all presentation. That's it. Just say vague general stuff and make sure you've got your public speaking skills on point. This is part of why Reagan and Trump crushed it as hard as they did with voters. The job is literally just standing in front of the camera and talking, and if you've been doing that as a job for decades it's a piece of cake.

This is our reality and it's what the Democrats need to get through their fat heads if there's even a chance we keep the planet from becoming unrecoverable.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

AmiYumi posted:

In your rush to call everyone ITT racists, you don’t even appear to be reading the posts you’re responding to.

I did.

And I didn't call everyone in this thread racists, but that sure is a fragile response.

quote:

Or you’re gimmick posting, I guess

Compared to what white supremacists want, it is accurate.

They want "most slaves were treated well and happy" levels of lying. They're mad about anything that's more accurate than that.

Keyser_Soze posted:

"CRT" doesn't exist and shouldn't be constantly boosted

It does but almost nobody is really talking about the actual thing, they're using dogwhistles.

This is like thinking school bussing conversations are just about traffic safety(an actual lie that white supremacists against bussing used).

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There are a large chunk of people who buy into the CRT framing that aren't full on racists or even people who have racist impulses, but would never consider themselves racist.

The focus group of just women voters who voted Biden - Northam - Youngkin had every single woman of color on the panel say basically, "I think they should teach slavery and all that, but I also want them to teach my children that America is a good country and that nobody is born racist or racist by accident." And all of them agreed that this was essentially Youngkin's position.

The VA election wasn't a low-turnout base election either. It set a record for turnout and the #1 issue was education. Although Democratic turnout rose less than Republican turnout, a good chunk of voters just thought that T-Mac was the establishment who was dismissive of parents and wanted to make people feel bad based on their race - including a good chunk of voters of color - and would have voted for a different Democrat or not voted Republican if it were Trump instead of Youngkin.

I think "CRT" & education as a general political concern are just kind of a stand-in for exasperated parents who were ill-equipped to homeschool their kids for 1.5 years & resented teachers throwing them a worksheet & video to have at it. And now that classrooms have reopened, no one seems satisfied with the compensatory strategies for learning.

(NOTE: Literally all of my best friends are teachers and retired teachers, and I understand they had a poo poo time of teaching, too, during the pandemic both remotely & in-person. I'm not casting aspersions on teachers as much as on districts and the total shitshow of remote learning even into the second school year of the pandemic.)

I live in a suburb so liberal it prolly went 85 percent for Biden last year, yet a longtime & beloved principal wrote a LTTE on why she was resigning, due to administrative policies & procedures for the district that were handed down with little notice, less reasoning & no substantiated reasons.

Kids are being standardized-tested as never before, instead of making up the learning they lost during the pandemic. Bus drivers have quit in droves; substitute teachers are nowhere to be found (for $95/day; imagine that!); reading specialists were told to take teaching jobs to retain their salaries, then replaced with lower-paid professionals; the superintendency & administration is a revolving door of charter-school professionals who keep hiring outside consultants while eliminating those who work directly with kids.

Teachers & staff are fed up; parents are fed up. Administration keeps focusing on touchy-feely poo poo like "cultural equity" while our children isn't learning, to crib W. Our school board was p. much reelected last spring, but if those elections were held today they'd have a different outcome imo.

If such a sentiment is this prevalent in culturally diverse LiberalTown, I can only imagine how it's playing in other parts of the country, even (especially!) among parents of color. Dems can mock & dismiss this generalized parental anger all they want, but the GOP has seized upon a potent theme by using CRT as shorthand for "parents are pissed off & we're going to address that anger."

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Most of the older voting base has spent decades being indoctrinated in how great White Supremacist American Christian Hegemony is compared to the Godless Communists, and fighting that poo poo is an uphill battle. Of course they want another Reagan instead of Trump: he sounds nicer and makes them feel warm inside while America does horrible poo poo and they don't have to hear about it. The "Pax Americana" Bubble for them is very strong, and anyone or anything that questions that will face steep resistance from them anytime.

That's why if the Left wants to succeed actually it needs to abandon any strategy of moderating for the olds: they ain't voting for us anyway. Do everything you can to appeal to younger people and minorities and disenfranchised groups: they are your actual voters on issues we believe in. Stop courting Third Way boomers: it does not work, and they are fine with the Dems being Diet GOP because that's what they want, Status Quo bubbles where they love America without any of that complicated ugly stuff.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 2, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

My wife, who teaches 6-8th graders, once joked that if a parent asked her what she was doing re: teaching CRT that her response would basically be to ignore what CRT really means and appeal to their likely sense of American exceptionalism. Explain that teaching children hurtful lessons about the past so that they may learn from them is how America remains the land of opportunity and freedom for everyone so many years later. Some nonsense like that. I laughed at the time but I don’t honestly think it’s the dumbest idea.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

-Blackadder- posted:

Lmao, the absolute nerve of these people. Literally no one cared that Trump was a maniac, they cared that he acted like one. It's literally all presentation. That's it. Just say vague general stuff and make sure you've got your public speaking skills on point. This is part of why Reagan and Trump crushed it as hard as they did with voters. The job is literally just standing in front of the camera and talking, and if you've been doing that as a job for decades it's a piece of cake.

This is our reality and it's what the Democrats need to get through their fat heads if there's even a chance we keep the planet from becoming unrecoverable.

"Say vague stuff on camera rather than commit to anything at all" was the 2020 strategy that turned a slam-dunk election into a very narrow victory, the last thing Dems should do is double-down on it when they're in a far more vulnerable position.

Though it's very true that the wealthy's only real problem with Trump was that he said the quiet parts loud.

e: Also focus groups are a notoriously terrible way of gauging public opinion about anything

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 2, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Anno posted:

My wife, who teaches 6-8th graders, once joked that if a parent asked her what she was doing re: teaching CRT that her response would basically be to ignore what CRT really means and appeal to their likely sense of American exceptionalism. Explain that teaching children hurtful lessons about the past so that they may learn from them is how America remains the land of opportunity and freedom for everyone. Some nonsense like that. I laughed at the time but I don’t honestly think it’s the dumbest idea.

....its the dumbest idea because the response would be "Well why teach them those things if we're already the best! FREEDUM AINT FREE"

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Cranappleberry posted:

How do you win a "messaging war" against a segment of the population that is so brainwashed that they can invent entirely new narratives overnight?

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Anno posted:

My wife, who teaches 6-8th graders, once joked that if a parent asked her what she was doing re: teaching CRT that her response would basically be to ignore what CRT really means and appeal to their likely sense of American exceptionalism. Explain that teaching children hurtful lessons about the past so that they may learn from them is how America remains the land of opportunity and freedom for everyone so many years later. Some nonsense like that. I laughed at the time but I don’t honestly think it’s the dumbest idea.

They don't care, they'd probably just assault her.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Willa Rogers posted:

If such a sentiment is this prevalent in culturally diverse LiberalTown, I can only imagine how it's playing in other parts of the country, even (especially!) among parents of color. Dems can mock & dismiss this generalized parental anger all they want, but the GOP has seized upon a potent theme by using CRT as shorthand for "parents are pissed off & we're going to address that anger."

Not quite, timelines reversed. People are already pissed and the racists used CRT as a means to get their racist ideas out in a time where angry people were already showing up to town halls/board meetings

CRT "bans" dont' do anything to address lockdowns they just throw read meat to racists.

However it's correct that Dems have done absolutely nothing to address parental anger that's not the normal "kids are learning that white people did bad" assholes which have always existed. Or utilize it to push policy goals.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Congratulations, you have both been fooled by a simple word trick from white supremacists, adopted their phrasing, and still misunderstood.

We already teach mostly accurate history. The people upset about CRT want to stop that and teach white supremacist history.

That's what "CRT" is about and what they are literally doing right now. You don't want to do this, so your idea is bad. Because without you doing this, they won't care what the gently caress you say.

Messaging does matter and that's why your idea is so bad.

Most schools do not teach mostly accurate history. Not even close. And school districts vary incredibly in what history they teach.

Like fuckin' Texas history classes lmbo.

CRT (actual CRT) can absolutely be used to inform primary and secondary school educational curriculum, which is what I was saying/alluding to. t won't be taught because it's outside the purview and level but can it be used to inform? Absolutely.

The definition of CRT that is being used by white supremacists refers to what commiegir and you pointed out. This definition is wrong but it's accepted by the credulous who become fearful. Explaining what it actually is as a defense is worse than useless.

Ignoring it won't work. It's emotional. Now if you want a more palatable message how about the lie "your children are receiving the best education possible" with the true addendum "and they are not being demonized for being white :

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Not quite, timelines reversed. People are already pissed and the racists used CRT as a means to get their racist ideas out in a time where angry people were already showing up to town halls/board meetings

CRT "bans" dont' do anything to address lockdowns they just throw read meat to racists.

However it's correct that Dems have done absolutely nothing to address parental anger that's not the normal "kids are learning that white people did bad" assholes which have always existed. Or utilize it to push policy goals.

Well, yeah: I'm not saying CRT is real + bad, or that the GOP isn't using it as a figleaf.

I'm saying that McAwful saying "parents shouldn't be telling schools what to teach" landed particularly hard & was effectively exploited by the GOP because of genuine parental anger, and whether it was a dog whistle or a train whistle CRT is going to be broadened into a wider appeal to parents based on that anger, especially bc of their success in Virginia.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cranappleberry posted:

Most schools do not teach mostly accurate history. Not even close. And school districts vary incredibly in what history they teach.

Like fuckin' Texas history classes lmbo.

CRT (actual CRT) can absolutely be used to inform primary and secondary school educational curriculum, which is what I was saying/alluding to. t won't be taught because it's outside the purview and level but can it be used to inform? Absolutely.

You are, again, getting convinced by white supremacist messaging.

Anti "CRT" laws are about codifying "texas history" into law. Teaching actual accurate history is not "using CRT", it's just doing what we should have always been doing. CRT is not a catch all for "teaching real history".

That's what people are talking about. They never meant CRT in any technical sense, so saying "we're not going to allow CRT in schools", which is your suggestion, is adopting white supremacist framing.

That's why your idea is bad. It's not using messaging strategy, it's literally adopting white supremacist messaging.

quote:

The definition of CRT that is being used by white supremacists refers to what commiegir and you pointed out. This definition is wrong but it's accepted by the credulous who become fearful. Explaining what it actually is as a defense is worse than useless.

Ignoring it won't work. It's emotional. Now if you want a more palatable message how about the lie "your children are receiving the best education possible" with the true addendum "and they are not being demonized for being white :

Nobody is saying to explain it or to not address it. They've said to not engage with it as if it was being discussed in good faith. It's not.

You said "lets just adopt it".

Willa Rogers posted:

Well, yeah: I'm not saying CRT is real + bad, or that the GOP isn't using it as a figleaf.

I'm saying that McAwful saying "parents shouldn't be telling schools what to teach" landed particularly hard & was effectively exploited by the GOP because of genuine parental anger, and whether it was a dog whistle or a train whistle CRT is going to be broadened into a wider appeal to parents based on that anger, especially bc of their success in Virginia.

Yes he handled it awful and possibly the worst way. It was incredibly stupid.

What he should have done is said "I'm not going to allow Republicans to set school curriculum, this is the good stuff I'm going to do" but that would have required him having good things he was going to do.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Yinlock posted:

"Say vague stuff on camera rather than commit to anything at all" was the 2020 strategy that turned a slam-dunk election into a very narrow victory, the last thing Dems should do is double-down on it when they're in a far more vulnerable position.

Though it's very true that the wealthy's only real problem with Trump was that he said the quiet parts loud.

e: Also focus groups are a notoriously terrible way of gauging public opinion about anything

It's not about being non-committal, we should commit to improving things people care about and solving problems that are important to them and point to ways we've done that, and how we'll continue to do that. But don't expect them to know actual policy beyond anything general.

Let's be clear about something. As frustratingly bad as the Democrats have been, as watered down and lovely as their legislation has turned out, it's still light years ahead of anything the Republicans have done in decades. As a binary choice, and that's what this is, there should be literally no contests between Democrats and Republicans if the metric is "have done good things that helped the majority of Americans."

The reason this clown show is still a horse race is because people don't have a freaking clue what's in the legislation we pass, and what they do know about it, they forget about a week after it passes. They don't even know how the country works or even how to evaluate metrics that indicate if something in the country is good or bad.

Until the Democrats deal with the reality that voters are low info and irrational, they're going to continue to get eaten alive and yeeted out of office by CRT and other nonsensical garbage that wouldn't get past anyone who was paying even a tiny amount of attention.

e: and the above has been shown in polls and analysis as well not just focus groups.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 3, 2021

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Trazz posted:

How do you win a "messaging war" against a segment of the population that is so brainwashed that they can invent entirely new narratives overnight?

Again, it's not aiming for white supremacists who understand the evil behind the dog whistle. It's reassuring scared and ignorant (about CRT and education curriculum) white people their children are not being taught to hate themselves.

Adapting to this bullshit and using it is american politics right now. The discourse is utterly poisoned and while I hold little hope for anything good being done nationally, local politics remains important.

Should they need to be reassured? No. It's silly. It's white fragility. But these are people who buy into repackaged Great Replacement theories and think foreigners are coming through the border and doing Satan-knows-what. They are credulous. Racist. Not full-on white supremacists.

Jaxyon posted:

You are, again, getting convinced by white supremacist messaging.

Anti "CRT" laws are about codifying "texas history" into law. Teaching actual accurate history is not "using CRT", it's just doing what we should have always been doing. CRT is not a catch all for "teaching real history".

That's what people are talking about. They never meant CRT in any technical sense, so saying "we're not going to allow CRT in schools", which is your suggestion, is adopting white supremacist framing.

That's why your idea is bad. It's not using messaging strategy, it's literally adopting white supremacist messaging.

Nobody is saying to explain it or to not address it. They've said to not engage with it as if it was being discussed in good faith. It's not.

You said "lets just adopt it".

No, I said use the message that CRT (both definitions but particularly the false one) is not taught and will never be taught as long as ____. Which is true on both counts. It is a message and one that can be used to reassure scared, fragile white people. This has been my argument verbatim.

In order to prevent anti-CRT laws and curriculum from being passed, to prevent white supremacists from taking over school boards, to keep books from being banned and burned- at least where this is a threat- prevention by getting people elected is key.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

-Blackadder- posted:

It's not about being non-committal, we should commit to improving things people care about and solving problems that are important to them and point to ways we done that, and how we'll continue to do that. But don't expect them to know actual policy beyond anything general.

Let's be clear about something. As frustratingly bad as the Democrats have been, as watered down and lovely as their legislation has turned out, it's still light years ahead of anything the Republicans have done in decades. As a binary choice, and that's what this is, there should be literally no contests between Democrats and Republicans if the metric is "have done good things that helped people."

The reason this clown show is still a horse race is because people don't have a freaking clue what's in the legislation we pass, and what they do know about it, they forget about a week after it passes.

Until the Democrats deal with the reality that voters are low info and irrational, they're going to continue to get eaten alive by CRT and other nonsensical garbage that wouldn't get past anyone who was paying even a tiny amount of attention.

e: and the above has been shown in polls and analysis as well not just focus groups.

I don't know what to do about this though: there is a 24/7 Media apparatus that constantly reinvents and reinforces the GOP's positions, and our own centrist garbage media continues to hold water for them in the name of "Both Sides"

Do we just send daily emails/ texts to low info voters daily to remind them of policies that were passed? The low info voter gives the GOP a natural advantage.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cranappleberry posted:

No, I said use the message that CRT (both definitions but particularly the false one) is not taught and will never be taught as long as ____. Which is true on both counts. It is a message and one that can be used to reassure scared, fragile white people. This has been my argument verbatim.

You can't talk about the real meaning. That's why dogwhistles are used. The fragile white people don't want to hear it.

You can't respond to a dogwhistle by agreeing with the dogwhistle.

Again "We're worried about school bussing" and you respond "well don't' worry we're not going to do that"

quote:

In order to prevent anti-CRT laws and curriculum from being passed, to prevent white supremacists from taking over school boards, to keep books from being banned and burned- at least where this is a threat- prevention by getting people elected is key.

You just agreed to support anti-CRT laws because you agreed CRT wouldn't be in schools.

When you don't support laws that ban even vaguely accurate history, they'll say you didn't keep your promise. Because it was never about CRT.

When you pass a law about "a graduate level law student analysis lens" you will have also not kept your promise, because it was never about CRT.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Cranappleberry posted:

Again, it's not aiming for white supremacists who understand the evil behind the dog whistle. It's reassuring scared and ignorant (about CRT and education curriculum) white people their children are not being taught to hate themselves.

Wait until you find out how big the overlap between those two groups are!

And how do you reassure the scared and ignorant people who have been brainwashed into doing the opposite of whatever any Democrat tells them to?

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

There is absolutely a strategy split between what any old punter or advocate can say and what a politician or their press agent can say. A politician on this has to establish a position. Saying "I believe we need to keep political interference schools" is notably a much stronger and clearer statement than saying CRT. Because they will absolutely explain via a proxy what you just agreed to if you vote the hook.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
could always try greasing the wheels by helping them out at foodbanks or whatever

people seem more receptive to your ideas if they are predisposed to liking you

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

You can't talk about the real meaning. That's why dogwhistles are used. The fragile white people don't want to hear it.

You can't respond to a dogwhistle by agreeing with the dogwhistle.

Again "We're worried about school bussing" and you respond "well don't' worry we're not going to do that"

You just agreed to support anti-CRT laws because you agreed CRT wouldn't be in schools.

When you don't support laws that ban even vaguely accurate history, they'll say you didn't keep your promise. Because it was never about CRT.

When you pass a law about "a graduate level law student analysis lens" you will have also not kept your promise, because it was never about CRT.

Trazz posted:

Wait until you find out how big the overlap between those two groups are!

And how do you reassure the scared and ignorant people who have been brainwashed into doing the opposite of whatever any Democrat tells them to?

I mean, do either of you have a tactic that you think would work? You both often drop just how racist and brainwashed the right is and discourage anything people suggest as possible tactics to combat that ideologically but I never understand where that actually leaves you. The right are brainwashed racist fascists so...?

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

I mean, do either of you have a tactic that you think would work? You both often drop just how racist and brainwashed the right is and discourage anything people suggest as possible tactics to combat that ideologically but I never understand where that actually leaves you. The right are brainwashed racist fascists so...?

So ask every right-winger you meet if they are lying to you out of stupidity, or out of malice, and repeat that question until they either answer it or have a screaming meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gumball Gumption posted:

Appeal to your own base? Make policies that get your actual voters to turn out, and not potentially racist people?

This is not a hard puzzle to solve

In all honesty, I think we need to do some major education reforms in this country before we can do anything, and I frankly think the Olds are kind of mentally unsalvagable from the brain poison that is Fox News. I think you can reach younger "right wingers" (a ton of white young people start off as Republicans because their parents/ everyone around them were) offering them tangible economic/ social policies that will actually help them, like say Student Loan Forgiveness, Healthcare, Climate policies, and better labor protections and better jobs than permanant underclass

I think a right wing young fascist is far more likely to crossover then a Centrist older person: it's simple as that

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 3, 2021