Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

IMO Arena's biggest strength is its relationship to the paper game, and every move they make that diverges the two is a mistake. All the digital only Horizons cards were a pretty big dud, so the only impact they had was they blew opportunities to put cooler legacy cards in and now made it technically impossible to have Historic tournaments in paper. All this does is cause bigger divergence between the two games and fragment the player base.

Yes this is 100% correct. But you can't expect them to see their pet cards they misevaluated bomb and be ignored, can you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I don't like any of this.

510rems
Mar 26, 2010
for me arena's biggest strengths are that i don't have to pay 300 dollars for standard deck and i don't have to get called a tr*nny by some loser at an LGS.

the digital only stuff is good & cool. the boomer formats aren't changing or going anywhere so i don't know what all the hubbub is about.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

510rems posted:

for me arena's biggest strengths are that i don't have to pay 300 dollars for standard deck and i don't have to get called a tr*nny by some loser at an LGS.

the digital only stuff is good & cool. the boomer formats aren't changing or going anywhere so i don't know what all the hubbub is about.

The only boomer format on Arena is changing.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Imagine if instead of designing/testing all these new lovely cards, they just dumped in a shitload of random Legacy legal cards with the expectation that anything overpowered will get banned. Remember how everyone loved MA and basically everyone ended up either hating or being completely indifferent to all the HJS poo poo?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I’m just gonna play Runeterra from now on for digital fun, it’s a far better client anyways.

This is a pretty dire bait and switch with the promise of Arena imo

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Koirhor posted:

I’m just gonna play Runeterra from now on for digital fun, it’s a far better client anyways.

This is a pretty dire bait and switch with the promise of Arena imo

Hey man, they never said they weren't going to go chasing the shadow of a game people stopped playing in favour of an Auto Chess variant over a year ago.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Yeah, I'm probably out tbh.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So I honestly cannot tell, is Historic still going to have the untouched versions of cards or is it all Alchemy versions?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ShaneB posted:

So I honestly cannot tell, is Historic still going to have the untouched versions of cards or is it all Alchemy versions?

I'm looking for official confirmation. The people on Twitter posting pictures of cards are all saying its Alchemy versions.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

ShaneB posted:

from the way its written historic will have the alchemy based version of the card. you will get a non-alchemy version that you can play in non-digital-only formats.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

[ ] Tournament support
[ ] Spectator mode
[ ] Fixing random hitches with certain spells (Fatal Push)
[ ] Pioneer cards
[ ] Making the client not run like absolute poo poo
[ ] Keeping a 1:1 relationship with the world's longest lasting card game.
[ ] Maintaining the integrity of Arena's only 'Eternal' format.
[X] Epic random Hearthstone-style cards.

Folks, looks like WotC Digital understood the assignment

fadam fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 3, 2021

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah they just sort of confirmed on stream that historic uses the alchemy versions as the legal version for the format.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ShaneB posted:

Yeah they just sort of confirmed on stream that historic uses the alchemy versions as the legal version for the format.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Unfortunately this seems like another way to not give wildcards for cards getting banned or whatever in standard if they screw up. You know what would be really cool? If instead of this stupid format they worked toward actual multiplayer so folks could play some kinda commander-like thing.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

[ ] Tournament support
[ ] Spectator mode
[ ] Pioneer cards
[ ] Making the client not run like absolute poo poo
[ ] Keeping a 1:1 relationship with the world's longest lasting card game.
[ ] Maintaining the integrity of Arena's only 'Eternal' format.
[X] Epic random Hearthstone-style cards.

Folks, looks like WotC Digital understood the assignment

[ ] Implementing commander into arena

:sigh:

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Yeah this pretty much kills Arena for me.

neaden fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 3, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TheLawinator posted:

Unfortunately this seems like another way to not give wildcards for cards getting banned or whatever in standard if they screw up. You know what would be really cool? If instead of this stupid format they worked toward actual multiplayer so folks could play some kinda commander-like thing.

I'll be surprised if Arena ever has multiplayer. It's just not designed to do that at all, to the point where they'd basically have to create a whole new client for it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It feels like a feature that not very many people want but that the ones who do want it badly.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbf it doesnt make much sense to have arena be more casual focused and not have what i assume is the largest casual format on it

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think without any kind of communication and with incentives to win Commander on Arena wouldn't be what existing Commander players seem to largely want from the format anyway.

It would be funny if the monkey's paw curled and they made an entirely new version of digital Magic that was only Commander to exist alongside Arena and MODO.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 3, 2021

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

fadam posted:

IMO Arena's biggest strength is its relationship to the paper game, and every move they make that diverges the two is a mistake. All the digital only Horizons cards were a pretty big dud, so the only impact they had was they blew opportunities to put cooler legacy cards in and now made it technically impossible to have Historic tournaments in paper. All this does is cause bigger divergence between the two games and fragment the player base.

I sense a grognardy kneejerk reaction against anything new in this thread. How does strict alignment with paper make arena better, let alone count as its biggest strength? The biggest strength of arena is, imo, that it has a ton of formats ready to play 24/7 with very short queue times. I barely ever play paper, a poo poo ton of arena players never play paper or have never played paper period.

You need to accept that historic was designed from the start to be digital only and that arena is not just an adjunct to paper, it is really successful and its own thing now as a major competitor to hearthstone, runeterra, and the rest. Historic paper tournaments were never on the table in the first place. If you don't like it there are still several formats on arena that are perfectly identical with paper.

Also you're wrong about digital-only being a flop, several of them are played in top tier decks: managorger phoenix in madness, shoreline scout in merfolk, freyalise and skyshroud lookout in elves, static discharge and reckless ringleader in monored decks.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 3, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Oh good I thought it was just me

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Magic Underwear posted:

I sense a grognardy kneejerk reaction against anything new in this thread. How does strict alignment with paper make arena better, let alone count as its biggest strength? The biggest strength of arena is, imo, that it has a ton of formats ready to play 24/7 with very short queue times. I barely ever play paper, a poo poo ton of arena players never play paper or have never played paper period.

You need to accept that historic was designed from the start to be digital only and that arena is not just an adjunct to paper, it is really successful and its own thing now as a major competitor to hearthstone, runeterra, and the rest. Historic tournaments were never on the table in the first place. If you don't like it there are still several formats on arena that are perfectly identical with paper.

Also you're wrong about digital-only being a flop, several of them are played in top tier decks: managorger phoenix in madness, shoreline scout in merfolk, freyalise and skyshroud lookout in elves, static discharge and reckless ringleader in monored decks.

There's a lot to respond to here even tho I think it's in bad faith, so I'm just gonna say that I don't think any of those decks are top tier.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Magic Underwear posted:

I sense a grognardy kneejerk reaction against anything new in this thread. How does strict alignment with paper make arena better, let alone count as its biggest strength? The biggest strength of arena is, imo, that it has a ton of formats ready to play 24/7 with very short queue times. I barely ever play paper, a poo poo ton of arena players never play paper or have never played paper period. You need to accept that historic was designed from the start to be digital only and that arena is not just an adjunct to paper, it is really successful and its own thing now as a major competitor to hearthstone, runeterra, and the rest. Historic tournaments were never on the table. If you don't like it there are still several formats on arena that are perfectly identical with paper.

Arena should be a vehicle to get people into paper magic and having paper cards not do what arena cards do is going to be an awful experience.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

You need to accept that historic was designed from the start to be digital only and that arena is not just an adjunct to paper, it is really successful and its own thing now as a major competitor to hearthstone, runeterra, and the rest. Historic paper tournaments were never on the table in the first place. If you don't like it there are still several formats on arena that are perfectly identical with paper.

I think when Pioneer launches that'll be a stronger argument, but right now there are a ton of people invested in a format they don't want to play anymore (and even after Pioneer launches they'll still be stuck with Historic bundles they bought).

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I wonder if this means paper standard will eventually cease being a meaningful thing? Paper tournaments will probably cater towards more eternal formats and online tournaments will be Historic and Alchemy?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

fadam posted:

There's a lot to respond to here even tho I think it's in bad faith, so I'm just gonna say that I don't think any of those decks are top tier.

I'm arguing in bad faith? You aren't arguing in any faith at all, jesus christ. Hey, instead of just being a prick, how about you actually articulate a recognizable thought if you disagree with my post.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

I wonder if this means paper standard will eventually cease being a meaningful thing? Paper tournaments will probably cater towards more eternal formats and online tournaments will be Historic and Alchemy?

New players are still going to need something to play, so I guess it depends on whether or not paper continues to have new players or if Arena becomes (or has become) the default entry point for everyone.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mike N Eich posted:

There’s like one place within an hours drive of here that does paper standard, most places seem to do modern and limited

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Alchemy is preemptively a failed format unless every card with Alchemy or Alchemist in its name is legal in it.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Magic Underwear posted:

I'm arguing in bad faith? You aren't arguing in any faith at all, jesus christ. Hey, instead of just being a prick, how about you actually articulate a recognizable thought if you disagree with my post.

what the heck

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There’s like one place within an hours drive of here that does paper standard, most places seem to do modern and limited

Ya paper magic is booming here, but it’s all Limited, Modern and Commander. I don’t think a single store does Standard.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
If they move and get pioneer on arena I would wish and hope they make the mystical archive cards and historic anthology cards legal there too. There are some real fun, competitive archetypes that revolve around them

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Time posted:

If they move and get pioneer on arena I would wish and hope they make the mystical archive cards and historic anthology cards legal there too. There are some real fun, competitive archetypes that revolve around them

I get why existing historic players who don't want to play with Alchemy want that, but as someone who's been patiently waiting for Pioneer I'd be pissed. I haven't been the one spending though, so if they put the concerns of people who have ahead of mine, I can hardly blame them. It just seems to defeat the purpose of having a format that corresponds with paper.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Time posted:

If this is the grand design then it will all be worth it I guess. I just want a format on Arena with a big card pool and no dumb Hearthstone cards, I don’t care what it’s called.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hey, you have a historic deck you like? Well, too bad, our latest balance patch hosed it. So now you've got to dump more wildcards crafting a new deck. Or historic players having to make the new alchemy cards that come out after a set. Seems like a really transparent way for them to never give historic people refunds for card bans and also make sets more expensive to keep up with.

Magic is already the least important thing on my budget and if it gets more expensive I'll just go play a lesser game, but save a bunch of money

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Time posted:

i think there's zero chance of them changing pioneer legality

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Magic is already the least important thing on my budget and if it gets more expensive I'll just go play a lesser game, but save a bunch of money

Quitting magic is never a bad financial decision unless you buy in even bigger later to catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

Ya paper magic is booming here, but it’s all Limited, Modern and Commander. I don’t think a single store does Standard.

Oh yeah commander is big too. It’s pretty booming here too, the town I play in has two LGS’s and they both get really good turnout