Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Demilich posted:

If you wanted an idea of how to visualize a static picture that includes the 4th dimension, just imagine a gif, but flatten it all into one snapshot. Ex: imagine a man running for one second, if you cut that second up into some arbitrary amount of frames and pasted them into one flat layer (flat like in how you flatten layers in photoshop), then you could imagine the picture like this:

This concept was the basis for the "Futurism" movement in the early 1900s.
And it was awesome

e:
which itself was descended from chronophotography which is also awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
where are the goddamn berds

anything on the horizon i've missed

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Rah! posted:

On the topic of Even Horizon/Godier, i'm pretty sure i saw him repeating a bunch of Mick West skeptic poo poo in the comments before, about the navy UFO videos

maybe that's why Lue bailed on him lol

or maybe godier doesn't believe in lue's remote viewing skills

I haven't seen that myself, but he certainly doesn't come off that way in his podcasts at least.

IIRC he's a self-professed skeptic, but he clearly has an interest in the phenomena and I've never heard him push any debunking pablum when it comes up during his interviews.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

Harvard, bastion of scientific and ethical integrity, would never court questionable research practices, right? why, they’re the best school in the world and have a reputation to uphold!

lol

yeah people are hosed up, including professors, corruption is everywhere, and also the entire elite is connected to epstein

harvard is still an extremely well regarded university. i dont know about best though do u have a source for that sir

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Objurium posted:

I haven't seen that myself, but he certainly doesn't come off that way in his podcasts at least.

IIRC he's a self-professed skeptic, but he clearly has an interest in the phenomena and I've never heard him push any debunking pablum when it comes up during his interviews.

It wasn't in an interview, it was in the comments section of one of his videos. I guess it could have been a different dude with a space/science related youtube channel.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lue and mellon work/worked for the great satan. so do all the asstronuts and NASA scientists

harvard is part of the great satan too and many of us in this thread are in the belly of the demon cracker nation

harvard is still a pretty good source for learning about things though lol

maybe that's just what they want me to think though. p'nutty help

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

skewetoo posted:

oumuamua is an alien artifact tho

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The lottery:

A rube sees a ticket is $2 and immediately buys one because he might win!

A reasonable person acknowledges the chance of winning is so miniscule that the ticket is effectively a waste of $2, but there's enough evidence to know that the lottery isn't rigged and you can technically win despite the unlikelihood

A big brained Neil confidently declares that because the chances of winning are so low, it is functionally impossible to ever win the lottery and everyone who has ever done it is a deluded lunatic or nefarious government operator, all the people who saw the winning ticket being bought or cashed in were on drugs or mistook a courier for a ticket buyer etc

Everything being a grift/op and therefore fake is just a different variation of the latter, it's an alternative way to feel smugly clever when you haven't bothered to learn anything, it just makes it seem like you're cautiously thoughtful instead of an arrogant gently caress.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

loeb is just an old scientist who doesn't give a gently caress about being polite to people he thinks are dumb, who got given a big pile of cash to look at birds that gives him an excuse to quit being the department chair (always, always a lovely thankless job) and to stop jockeying for grants. i don't think he's looking for anything in particular in terms of personal gain apart from that and potentially being the guy who discovers proof of aliens by just looking through telescopes. very low risk, easy, high reward work once he's done doing interviews all the time.

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

I remember when the original story hit abovetopsecret. People there were calling BS, but the denizens of ATS are simply bottom of the barrel intellects. The story always sounded right, not like a concocted grift.

There's also this:

https://sofrep.com/fightersweep/x-files-edition/

The story had popped up in a few places before the NYT story.

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

The Demilich posted:

With that in mind, imagine the mapping of your entire life, all actions, movements, everything. Then crushing all of it into one visual. If it was a photo of earth you would see your life as one giant string of mass and energy, shaped from the to and fro of you moving from the point of birth to the point of death.

Not only that, but you would find that your worldline was continuous with others, and by extension all others, and you would see that we are in fact all one single organism that started here on Earth some 4 billion years ago, which has developed little tendrils and outgrowths that individually perceive themselves to be individual selves that we think we are.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Azathoth posted:

I think the problem is not that we would perceive nothing, it's that what we perceive would act in fundamentally unpredictable ways because we are incapable of truly perceiving what is happening.

The example from Flatland of a sphere passing through a 2D space is illustrative. When it happens, the 2D creatures perceive it starting as a dot, then getting larger and larger until half way through after which it gets smaller and smaller until it disappears. At no point does the sphere change size or have anything but a uniform radius, but that is exactly what 2D Flatlanders perceive as happening.

In the same way, an object operating in dimensions we cannot perceive would appear to do impossible things, but such things are just operating according to physical laws we are fundamentally incapable of understanding except perhaps in mathematical terms.

Great summary!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Azathoth posted:

an object operating in dimensions we cannot perceive would appear to do impossible things, but such things are just operating according to physical laws we are fundamentally incapable of understanding except perhaps in mathematical terms.

the fact that we can understand something mathematically, despite being unable to comprehend it with our own senses, seems amazing to me. humans are dipshits in so many ways, but if we don't murder ourselves/the planet first, maybe one day we really will develop bird drives. then again im really stoned

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Rah! posted:

then again im really stoned

:hmmyes:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rah! posted:

the fact that we can understand something mathematically, despite being unable to comprehend it with our own senses, seems amazing to me. humans are dipshits in so many ways, but if we don't murder ourselves/the planet first, maybe one day we really will develop bird drives. then again im really stoned

human perception is a really, really weird thing and we have this idea of our eyes and brain being like a camcorder but it's straight up not true. like i had this weird thing happen to me that is apparently a migraine symptom where i suddenly couldn't read words on a page. i could see that words were there and that there were words on a line but when i went to focus on any specific word or set of words, the spot was just indistinct and i couldn't read. freaked me the gently caress out but there was nothing blocking the lens of my eyes nor my brain from recording the memory but whoops sorry no more reading for like an hour or two until it passed.

or how you can look at a mechanical clock with a second hand and the first second you look at it, it'll seem like that second is really long, and that's because what your brain is processing is actually the anticipation of the eyes moving and focusing into place (or something similar gently caress it i'm not a doctor) so your brain records a really long second because it's essentially guessing at what it's going to see once it catches up.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Your experience of cognition is inherently always in reaction to something, it’s inherently an after the fact thing. Kinda wild.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Sextro posted:

Your experience of cognition is inherently always in reaction to something, it’s inherently an after the fact thing. Kinda wild.

lag

bad map

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

the world is a simulation and aliens are still 56k swinming lots of lag that makes everyone around them feel lost time and it makes UFOs look like they can hover then move super fast when a bunch of packets hit at once

pnutty is a spawn camper

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Sextro posted:

There's actually new research out that shows the original experiment this notion came from was flawed and does a convincing job of showing it isn't true. I'll try and find the article a little later, pretty sure I bookmarked it.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

D-Pad posted:

There's actually new research out that shows the original experiment this notion came from was flawed and does a convincing job of showing it isn't true. I'll try and find the article a little later, pretty sure I bookmarked it.

Either there is an element of your cognition that is outside of newtonian physics as we understand it or by definition all neuronal activity is a result of a preceding event. I don't see a way out of that, and if we're opening the doors to cognition taking place outside of the bounds of typically accepted physics; we can't even start deciding which unverifiable theories are the ones we can discuss seriously.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Sextro posted:

Either there is an element of your cognition that is outside of newtonian physics as we understand it or by definition all neuronal activity is a result of a preceding event. I don't see a way out of that, and if we're opening the doors to cognition taking place outside of the bounds of typically accepted physics; we can't even start deciding which unverifiable theories are the ones we can discuss seriously.

Ah I thought you were referring to the fact that they supposedly proved that your brain decides to do something before your consciousness does so you are only experiencing those things, never consciously initiating them even though you think you are.

Here's the article: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/09/free-will-bereitschaftspotential/597736/

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

D-Pad posted:

i mean there is inherently lag time in neuronal transmission. it's very small but neurons do need time to do their thing and a network of neurons needs more time than just one neuron. you are not perceiving in real time, merely so close to real time that it's essentially indistinguishable.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

the woo lives in the essentially indistinguishable interstice

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
N’thing that this thread is best thread. Love how it’s open-minded yet simultaneously skeptical, acknowledges bizarre psi effects, goes on philosophical tangents, and posts kick-rear end p’nutty pix.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Printed out and read all the pre nyts era tictac posts. It feels like either a very deep cut limited hangout or they saw something over the Pacific Ocean that day. But who is to say? I wonder if the US Navy is having similar encounters this year.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

Printed out and read all the pre nyts era tictac posts. It feels like either a very deep cut limited hangout or they saw something over the Pacific Ocean that day. But who is to say? I wonder if the US Navy is having similar encounters this year.

According to :tinylue:, the majority of the 144 incidents that the navy recorded since the 2004 Nimitz incident, and included in the UFO report that was sent to congress, were encountered between 2018 and 2020 or so, due to the fact that nobody taking the topic seriously until the past few years. So that seems to imply that they see these things a lot.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Fly Ricky posted:

N’thing that this thread is best thread. Love how it’s open-minded yet simultaneously skeptical, acknowledges bizarre psi effects, goes on philosophical tangents, and posts kick-rear end p’nutty pix.
:hai:

also chuckling at how hard you guys go overnight, it's like waking up to presents under the tree

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

/callvote dm3

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

goochtit posted:

also chuckling at how hard you guys go overnight, it's like waking up to presents under the tree

cant sleep astral shadow goblins will get me

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Fly Ricky posted:

luv 2 post with my p'nutty buddies

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://youtu.be/a8mY_h0EIBw

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Wheeee posted:

at ease, :tinylue: will ward you from evil

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Slavvy posted:

The lottery:

A rube sees a ticket is $2 and immediately buys one because he might win!

A reasonable person acknowledges the chance of winning is so miniscule that the ticket is effectively a waste of $2, but there's enough evidence to know that the lottery isn't rigged and you can technically win despite the unlikelihood

A big brained Neil confidently declares that because the chances of winning are so low, it is functionally impossible to ever win the lottery and everyone who has ever done it is a deluded lunatic or nefarious government operator, all the people who saw the winning ticket being bought or cashed in were on drugs or mistook a courier for a ticket buyer etc

Everything being a grift/op and therefore fake is just a different variation of the latter, it's an alternative way to feel smugly clever when you haven't bothered to learn anything, it just makes it seem like you're cautiously thoughtful instead of an arrogant gently caress.

Yeah

I do feel like it's possible that the entire history of UFO poo poo is one of gifting, confusion, and crazy people. I just feel like that's less likely than at least some of it being real.

Rah! has issued a correction as of 02:53 on Dec 3, 2021

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol :911:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

my bony fealty posted:

the vibe I get from him is less grifter and more clout chaser

in academia, these are largely the same thing, because clout is what gets you donations to fund your research. of course, the social stuff can be its own reward too — just hanging around rich/famous people, etc. but it's the hanging around rich/famous people that gets you the money.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Rah! posted:

Yeah

I do feel like it's possible that the entire history of UFO poo poo is one of gifting, confusion, and crazy people. I just feel like that's less likely than at least some of it being real.

I think the released videos are pretty good evidence that the phenomenon is real but the consequence of, culturally, making it a field for crazy people for years is that the vast majority of people involved are crazy or grifting the crazies.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Log082 posted:

I think the released videos are pretty good evidence that the phenomenon is real but the consequence of, culturally, making it a field for crazy people for years is that the vast majority of people involved are crazy or grifting the crazies.

yeah

im just saying anything is possible mannn

maybe this is a simulation or the entire universe exists inside a molecule near the cosmic goatman's ring, i dont wanna rule anything out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Wheeee posted:

Mr. Wriste, is that you?