Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
As long as Arena doesn't magically ruin Modern years down the road, whatever. It has allowed me to play any Standard deck I like for free, so it has served it's purpose to me.

I have the feeling, that they are going to continue treating Modern as a separate entity from Arena. Modern will be how they move paper product to spikes, and Commander will be how they move paper to casuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Sinteres posted:

I get why existing historic players who don't want to play with Alchemy want that, but as someone who's been patiently waiting for Pioneer I'd be pissed. I haven't been the one spending though, so if they put the concerns of people who have ahead of mine, I can hardly blame them. It just seems to defeat the purpose of having a format that corresponds with paper.

I get this too.

For me, historic has just been a really good constructed format and I’m sad to see it go. I hope we both get something good : )

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

flatluigi posted:

i think there's zero chance of them changing pioneer legality

I don’t think anything is 0 chance on arena anymore

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm going to give alchemy a small chance to see how much it fucks up historic, if it sucks then I'll quit arena and rely on you guys to tell me when they've finally introduced pioneer.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Time posted:

I don’t think anything is 0 chance on arena anymore

Finally Chandra and Nissa are going to kiss

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Despite what the disclaimer says, I believe that alchemy is trying to replace standard.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I think this sounds like a fun Other Mode-I just wish it wasn’t tied to the easiest eternal format to play regularly

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Someone please talk me out of going back to modo.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sickening posted:

Despite what the disclaimer says, I believe that alchemy is trying to replace standard.

I think there's a 0% chance they aren't hoping to get away with that down the line. At the very least, if/when there's an actual Arena replacement (or successor--we still have MODO despite Arena existing), I bet it won't have Standard at all.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i don't play arena just due to having magic already take up a lot of time playing it with paper. i have no issues with them adding new cards for historic but doing this by modifying a card that exists on paper is a really weird thing to do.

to me, i only really see two reasons to do this. 1: so they don't have to give people replacements if a card gets banned, and 2: less need to playtest cards over a couple of years. just release it and fix it in post. none of this is good for either paper or arena players.

just feels like them mucking up the balance of cards... will just make them err on the side of maximizing their profits over actual balancing of the game.

and having two cards with the same name doing different things sounds kinda antithetical to the whole concept of the name of a card being wholly unique. now its only unique if you consider one half of the MTG world.. wish they would just do the banning and release the card under a new name, like Omnath's cousin or something...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Time posted:

I think this sounds like a fun Other Mode-I just wish it wasn’t tied to the easiest eternal format to play regularly

Same. If they just let the new cards be historic legal and didn’t do the rebalancing for historic I think it would be fine

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Ya why are folks talking about historic with this???

Regardless it is dumb very dumb

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Commander on Arena would require Cumulative Upkeep on Arena.

Dare you?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jabor posted:

Why? It has an actual economy

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

just feels like them mucking up the balance of cards... will just make them err on the side of maximizing their profits over actual balancing of the game.

This doesn't sound like Hasbro/WotC at all

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jabor posted:

boot up modo and look at the interface

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This is so, so very confusing lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’ve been watching a lot of people play modern on MODO and the interface is ugly as sin

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

boot up modo and look at the interface

Also be sure to reactivate your tiered ManaTraders subscription so you can borrow cards.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

NEW FEATURE: Every time you lose a match on arena, MaRo will fly to your house and kick you in the balls/vagina

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Goodbye Standard

https://twitter.com/mtg_lee/status/1466555921354477572?s=20

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pablo Nergigante posted:

NEW FEATURE: Every time you lose a match on arena, MaRo will fly to your house and kick you in the balls/vagina

I'm pulling into your driveway! You know what that means! It's time for another kick in the nads!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sickening posted:

I can see it.

If you are bored of solved standard here's a tweaked version of standard, and you get a new version every 4-6 weeks. I hate the historic changes, but its probably going to be pretty successful.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
I think they’ll end up sliding fixed cards in permanently this way. Gonna be pretty hard for them to not do flashback drafts or current drafts with the changed versions and once you only start offering that then it becomes the norm. Dry run with the historic digital cards

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
NRG Was Right

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i wrote this as a joke a couple pages ago:

Strong Sauce posted:

"yo sorry we created a 5/5 creature costing 2 mana that wins you the game if you can cast it first (because it can't be countered) in our most recent paper release, we are not planning to do anything about it. also we like to announce we got rid of it in your alchemy version of the set release so if you want to play that.. well its right there on arena"

now it seems like if customers reject alchemy they're just going to gently caress up standard/paper sets and then fix them for alchemy. so now you either play alchemy or have to deal with stupid cards we didn't balance.

oh now those new cards are loving up modern? well ... "announcing alchemy modern on MTGO!"

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I’d be fine with historic brawl being the “commander” format if it was actually multiplayer

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Strong Sauce posted:

i wrote this as a joke a couple pages ago:

now it seems like if customers reject alchemy they're just going to gently caress up standard/paper sets and then fix them for alchemy. so now you either play alchemy or have to deal with stupid cards we didn't balance.

oh now those new cards are loving up modern? well ... "announcing alchemy modern on MTGO!"

i think 'they're going to intentionally make cards bad in paper to make people play alchemy on arena' is a real big reach and i don't understand why you're going that hard on it in response for them running two events on arena for their new arena format

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I’d be fine with historic brawl being the “commander” format if it was actually multiplayer

I'd be fine with it if it had Arahbo to use with the 3 (!!!) surprisingly good digital only cats.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

uggy posted:

Ya why are folks talking about historic with this???

Regardless it is dumb very dumb

I pretty much only play historic and think the changes are very stupid for historic. Of the changed cards the only 3 that I've see get played are epiphany, haven, and aspirant. The haven change is a pretty big change, but its still going to get played because its still the best man land in tribal decks and mono color decks that can use a snow mana base. And right now I don't know if aspirant is going to get played, I'd have to look and see if a different two drop human can fit the curve, but that's a really big nerf. Epiphany probably still sees play because you still take the extra turn. Making goldspan worse wont let it see play in historic, and I've never seen it cast outside of brawl in historic.

The cards that got buffs aren't strong enough for the historic meta as it is, and this wont change that.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Bugsy posted:

I pretty much only play historic and think the changes are very stupid for historic. Of the changed cards the only 3 that I've see get played are epiphany, haven, and aspirant. The haven change is a pretty big change, but its still going to get played because its still the best man land in tribal decks and mono color decks that can use a snow mana base. And right now I don't know if aspirant is going to get played, I'd have to look and see if a different two drop human can fit the curve, but that's a really big nerf. Epiphany probably still sees play because you still take the extra turn. Making goldspan worse wont let it see play in historic, and I've never seen it cast outside of brawl in historic.

The cards that got buffs aren't strong enough for the historic meta as it is, and this wont change that.

It's not affecting historic

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

uggy posted:

It's not affecting historic

Yes it is

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the two digital only formats on arena (historic, alchemy) are going to use the rebalanced cards. all the formats that are also on paper (draft, sealed, standard) will not.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Hmmm I'm missing that in the article, i'm dumb

edit: read the other article talking about it, drat they really tried to kinda bury that

and oooooooofffff that's truly awful

uggy fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 3, 2021

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Going around to twitter and reddit, I can't find a single person who's into this. I haven't seen the Magic community brought together like this in a while. When was the last time, Historic requiring 2 wildcards? Walking Dead secret lair?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Fish Of Doom posted:

Going around to twitter and reddit, I can't find a single person who's into this. I haven't seen the Magic community brought together like this in a while. When was the last time, Historic requiring 2 wildcards? Walking Dead secret lair?

literally every time there's a change people blow the gently caress up on twitter and reddit about it, and sometimes even when nothing's changed

edit: like, i can't remember the last time i remember anything's happened in or around magic the gathering that didn't have some people absolutely livid

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 3, 2021

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

flatluigi posted:

literally every time there's a change people blow the gently caress up on twitter and reddit about it, and sometimes even when nothing's changed

edit: like, i can't remember the last time i remember anything's happened in or around magic the gathering that didn't have some people absolutely livid

lol come on

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

uggy posted:

lol come on

like realtalk: i'm interested in seeing how this goes b/c i'm so bored of standard these days that switching things up might help, and i'm priced out of playing paper magic so not playing arena means not playing magic. i, personally, don't think this is the massive fuckup a lot of people are treating it as but i don't care enough about the game or wizards of the coast to ardently defend it, especially in places where doing so puts a big target on my back. i don't touch the reddit or twitter magic communities for a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

flatluigi posted:

Maybe it's because WOTC keeps doing bad things in the pursuit of short term profits, drat the consequences?