Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Man this talk about lovely American food reminds me thst I really need to start cooking. My loving ADHD makes cooking monumentally difficult because I can't loving organize and focus enough to look up a recipe, take inventory of what I have, prepare a list of what ingredients I need to buy, get off my rear end and drive to the store, stay focused long enough to get the ingredients, come back, motivate myself to spend the time to cook them before they all go bad, and then repeat multiple times a week.

gently caress it's so loving hard to overcome my awful malformed brain and just do things.

Edit: wrong thread but aparrently you guys were talking about food recently so lucky me I can leave this here.

The Skeleton King has issued a correction as of 18:04 on Dec 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Recipes are for bakers and cowards, just make a big pot of some base like lentils or rice or lentils and rice or rice and beans and add stuff to do. Can of chili? Sure. Roast up whatever veggies are on sale? Hell yeah. Simmer a can of coconut milk with a shitload of whatever spices are handy and mix it in? Oh yeah brother. Dump a big roast in a crock pot on low for 8 hours? Oh yeah baby, shred that and add the rest.

A bag of nuts and some celery sticks and whatever to snack on or for variety, big pot of hard boiled eggs, all good. My fav recipe is "open sardine tin, pour hot sauce on, eat over sink"

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Epic High Five posted:

Recipes are for bakers and cowards, just make a big pot of some base like lentils or rice or lentils and rice or rice and beans and add stuff to do. Can of chili? Sure. Roast up whatever veggies are on sale? Hell yeah. Simmer a can of coconut milk with a shitload of whatever spices are handy and mix it in? Oh yeah brother. Dump a big roast in a crock pot on low for 8 hours? Oh yeah baby, shred that and add the rest.

A bag of nuts and some celery sticks and whatever to snack on or for variety, big pot of hard boiled eggs, all good. My fav recipe is "open sardine tin, pour hot sauce on, eat over sink"

That's close to what I do the few times I do cook. Usually I just dump veggies and noodles in a wok with some soy sauce and spices and it works fine. I also tend to dump beans and veggies in a crock pot with some chicken. The most complicated thing I ever did was make a basic sauce for some shrimp and noodles. Or just make a hamburger.

I guess it's not that cooking is hard, more that making myself do it is hard.

The Skeleton King has issued a correction as of 18:25 on Dec 2, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Skeleton King posted:

That's close to what I do the few times I do cook. Usually I just dump veggies and noodles in a wok with some soy sauce and spices and it works fine. I also tend to dump beans and veggies in a crock pot with some chicken. The most complicated thing I ever did was make a basic sauce for some shrimp and noodles. Or just make a hamburger.

I guess it's not that cooking is hard, more that making myself do it is hard.

Yes, that right there is ADHD. Honestly thought I'd clicked the ADHD thread by accident when I saw your post.

I bet there are some things you find it really easy to hyper focus on too.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

My posting, unfortunately, is one thing that I very easily hyperfocus on. Which is why I don't allow myself to post on twitter or YouTube because I can and will spend hours composing, editing, proofreading, and then re editing a post before remembering that posting on social media is completely useless.

It's also why I lurk more than post here on SA. The only time I do post now is during work hours because my employer can go gently caress themselves.

Edit: I should have known there was an ADHD thread. I should check it out.

The Skeleton King has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Dec 2, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

People want a store that has a lot of amazon convenience without having to worry that you went to the wrong one of 30 different xbox controllers pages and they're running some sort of obscure scam on you, but best buy already does that, maybe you need something for barbies or whatever.

also the push for buy local and non tech toys among toddlers with richer parents will become more a trend mainstream in the next 5 years.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Getting treated for ADHD is spooky bc I was like "maybe I got adhd, idk, something's wrong with me" and so I talked to a lady on one of those adhd pill mill apps and she was like naming all the weird poo poo I do with bizarre accuracy. She was like "yeah I bet you just pick things up and wnader around with them and put them down and then have no idea where they went" and I was like flipping out like the audience in street magic videos.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

She was like "yeah I bet you just pick things up and wnader around with them and put them down and then have no idea where they went" and I was like flipping out like the audience in street magic videos.

Lmao that's my favorite symptom.

Second favorite is "you walk through a door and your working memory is erased and now you're really confused as to why you came in here", which happens to everyone occasionally but boy does it happen to me fuckin' constantly.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Skeleton King posted:

My posting, unfortunately, is one thing that I very easily hyperfocus on. Which is why I don't allow myself to post on twitter or YouTube because I can and will spend hours composing, editing, proofreading, and then re editing a post before remembering that posting on social media is completely useless.

It's also why I lurk more than post here on SA. The only time I do post now is during work hours because my employer can go gently caress themselves.

Edit: I should have known there was an ADHD thread. I should check it out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885798

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Meme Policeman at it again fighting the good fight for Neoliberalism!

https://twitter.com/PolicemanMeme/status/1466063117406945291?s=19

https://twitter.com/PolicemanMeme/status/1465703538898575373?s=19

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Chairman posted:

Meadowlands American Dream is an indoor amusement park with some retail glued onto the side, and the one time I went there it was like 90% rich families with small kids wandering in circles and killing time while they waited for their water park reservation, so I don't think it's a terrible choice, at least not compared to any other mall they could've opened a store in

I see then. Actually that is a pretty intelligent placement.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I like that first is just:

Well it only solved the problem of there being staffing issues. And they are a VEGETARIAN restaurant that sell their food for a lot. And maybe the front staff makes less money without tips (no source provided).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They should probably just shorten their name to policeman

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Very, very, very few servers average more than 25/hr for every hour they are working lmao. At this point that'd be double what the average FOH manager would make

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Epic High Five posted:

Very, very, very few servers average more than 25/hr for every hour they are working lmao. At this point that'd be double what the average FOH manager would make

i mean to be fair the maitre d at a place selling veggies for $90 probably makes more than that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

The restaurant is in lower manhattan so the numbers are probably a little different, but the point remains.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Shwqa posted:

I like that first is just:

Well it only solved the problem of there being staffing issues. And they are a VEGETARIAN restaurant that sell their food for a lot. And maybe the front staff makes less money without tips (no source provided).

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

i mean to be fair the maitre d at a place selling veggies for $90 probably makes more than that
The argument meme cop is trying to make is that it's an exception to the rule and every greasy spoon in bumfuck nowhere couldn't possibly afford to do this. So it kind of feels like moving the goalposts since he tacitly admitted paying more means more and more reliable applicants BUT we generally just can't afford to do that.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Panfilo posted:

The argument meme cop is trying to make is that it's an exception to the rule and every greasy spoon in bumfuck nowhere couldn't possibly afford to do this. So it kind of feels like moving the goalposts since he tacitly admitted paying more means more and more reliable applicants BUT we generally just can't afford to do that.

Yes, that's how the trade-off is supposed to work in a market: the lower your bidding price, the fewer takers you get (and the more dubious the seller)

They're just rear end-mad the free market is loving them for a change and that can't be tolerated that in a capitalist economy (tee-hee)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

Getting treated for ADHD is spooky bc I was like "maybe I got adhd, idk, something's wrong with me" and so I talked to a lady on one of those adhd pill mill apps and she was like naming all the weird poo poo I do with bizarre accuracy. She was like "yeah I bet you just pick things up and wnader around with them and put them down and then have no idea where they went" and I was like flipping out like the audience in street magic videos.

there are pill mill apps? its impossible to see a psychiatrist locally for simple medication management for depression let alone adhd meds

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Yeah what's the app? When I asked my doctor about ADHD he shrugged it off

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

like i need to see someone every 6 months or whatever for medication management for the simplest depression meds. at one clinic i was seeing a pa that was good, they left and handed me off to another pa. saw them alone once, they left and then i scheduled an appointment with the attending. that was cancelled and now i'm starting to get fed up with that clinic but other places i've talked to have giant wait lists.

my primary care doc said psychiatry staffing is a big problem nationwide but sheesh.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
wonder if ADHD being overly diagnosed in the early 00s lead to people not really understanding the condition and doctors over correcting by being reluctant to diagnose. I was diagnosed with it back in 03 by the school nurse but the pills made me miserable and it turned out I just needed glasses and had trouble tuning out noise due to being on the spectrum so they just sent me to a special quiet room for tests and that was that

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
there's just a lot of hosed up stigma and confusion around ADHD and even in the medical field very few people understand it, including people working in mental health

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

like i need to see someone every 6 months or whatever for medication management for the simplest depression meds. at one clinic i was seeing a pa that was good, they left and handed me off to another pa. saw them alone once, they left and then i scheduled an appointment with the attending. that was cancelled and now i'm starting to get fed up with that clinic but other places i've talked to have giant wait lists.

my primary care doc said psychiatry staffing is a big problem nationwide but sheesh.

Your primary care physician should be able to write prescriptions for anti-depressants.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Malls are dead and Toys R Us has picked a fitting grave to chuck its corpse in. American Dream is more of an indoor amusement park than a place people go to buy things. It's a mall from 2003 that people go to pretend it's still 2003. To be fair, maybe nostalgia will keep it going but idk who's gonna have money to spend there in five more years.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

New Jersey seems like a fitting graveyard for late stage capitalism.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

It's not an unreasonable point but the staff supported it, and locally here a place went to no tips and 15 an hour minimum and the staff there wanted it too. The stability is probably really nice and of course not getting 2 bucks an hour for all of your sidework

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

there are pill mill apps? its impossible to see a psychiatrist locally for simple medication management for depression let alone adhd meds

I use done, or donefirst ,or whatever they call it. There are others if you google DONEFIRST ANY GOOD? It's like 50-60 per appointment, not covered by insurance, they're technically just a way of connecting you with adhd-friendly (or self-proclaimed adhd-friendly) psychiatric nurse practitioners. Some of them will just write you a scrip. Mine seems nice and interested in helping me build habits and stuff, she wants me to stop using meds within a year or two, now that I can consistently think during the day I'm uhhhh not down with that, but idk. I heard one horror story of someone who got connected with someone who was like "i'm just not in favor of meds at all", although you can just like not do any more appointments if they're like that I guess. They write you a regular scrip, but since it's telemedicine, your pharmacist may or may not be lovely about it. Bartell's near me didn't give a poo poo, they just took my insurance and gave me the pills. Once you get the scrip it's an ordinary medical transaction so insurance covers it normally. The scrips are 30 day supply no refills, so you gotta pay the internet $60 every month.

idk it's whatever, YMMV but I've not gotten any real treatment before and I'm in my 30s so I like it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'm pretty sure donefirst is almost entirely adhd focused but there are other ones that are more general. Given the trouble people in my family have had finding antidepressants that actually work for them, I'd be nervous about getting them over the internet, adderall seems way lower stakes.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

My only solace is that guy seems to waste hours upon hours on research and compiling data only to get sub 10 likes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

I'm pretty sure donefirst is almost entirely adhd focused but there are other ones that are more general. Given the trouble people in my family have had finding antidepressants that actually work for them, I'd be nervous about getting them over the internet, adderall seems way lower stakes.

I would think it’d be easier because there aren’t “drug seeking behaviors” for saying Paxil worked better than Prozac or whatever.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

30.5 Days posted:

I use done, or donefirst ,or whatever they call it. There are others if you google DONEFIRST ANY GOOD? It's like 50-60 per appointment, not covered by insurance, they're technically just a way of connecting you with adhd-friendly (or self-proclaimed adhd-friendly) psychiatric nurse practitioners. Some of them will just write you a scrip. Mine seems nice and interested in helping me build habits and stuff, she wants me to stop using meds within a year or two, now that I can consistently think during the day I'm uhhhh not down with that, but idk. I heard one horror story of someone who got connected with someone who was like "i'm just not in favor of meds at all", although you can just like not do any more appointments if they're like that I guess. They write you a regular scrip, but since it's telemedicine, your pharmacist may or may not be lovely about it. Bartell's near me didn't give a poo poo, they just took my insurance and gave me the pills. Once you get the scrip it's an ordinary medical transaction so insurance covers it normally. The scrips are 30 day supply no refills, so you gotta pay the internet $60 every month.

idk it's whatever, YMMV but I've not gotten any real treatment before and I'm in my 30s so I like it.

To be fair, when to go my actual psychiatrist he doesn't take insurance either and I have to pay cash :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

my copays are $40

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Paladinus posted:

My only solace is that guy seems to waste hours upon hours on research and compiling data only to get sub 10 likes.

He probably has a bigger following on Parler I'm sure. Most of his intended audience got banned on Twitter.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Mechafunkzilla posted:

there's just a lot of hosed up stigma and confusion around ADHD and even in the medical field very few people understand it, including people working in mental health

I gotta read up on some of this stuff because everyone and their mom is calling up the primary care provider my partner works for and asking for ADHD meds. Its starting to eclipse referrals for depression and anxiety and that's saying a lot.

I have a bit of a personal connection to this because my parents took me out of school in the 90s because they thought I might have ADD. I sort of flipped between homeschool and normal school but I never did get medicated. As this point I still feel kind of "strange brained" but am affable and white enough to do pretty ok in adultland.

When you say "few people understand it" what resources did you go to to get a better understanding? Do you have any reading recommendations?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've been seeing all these memes and posts about how long 2021 felt to people and I didn't believe them till I remembered how long its been since my last stimulus check. Feels like a lifetime ago. I want another. I ache for another stimmie

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm gonna be like the kid in my elementary school who passed out holding his breath when in a car driving by the big graveyard on the edge of town

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
hoping for another lockdown so I can get that sweet stimmie

Descend to slumber
May 12, 2001

We're still doing ACAB here, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

hatty posted:

hoping for another lockdown so I can get that sweet stimmie
Last year I tried to get a coworker to go in with me on an online t shirt business where we sold shirts saying "GIMME MY STIMMIE" and he wouldn't and I'm still bitter because gently caress we would've made some money