Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

na na na na na na na

- the greatest songwriter of a generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Very few of his songs, on a purely musical level, are the cheesiest wank imaginable. But yeah some of them definitely are.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Paul’s section in A Day in the Life sucks rear end

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
They're just a successful band. There is no need to deify them but there isn't a reason to poo poo on them either.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Amarcarts posted:

They're just a successful band. There is no need to deify them but there isn't a reason to poo poo on them either.
Wow...just wow

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Amarcarts posted:

name another band that put out that much above average material in a 7 year span. there is something special about the beatles, they aren't just randomly incredibly highly rated among both critics and casual listeners

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

mycophobia posted:

name another band that put out that much above average material in a 7 year span. there is something special about the beatles, they aren't just randomly incredibly highly rated among both critics and casual listeners

VengaBoys....

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

mycophobia posted:

cornershop.....

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bone Thugs n Harmony...

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

mycophobia posted:

Casual music listeners also really like Imagine Dragons and Maroon 5.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Casual music listeners also really like Imagine Dragons and Maroon 5.

nice job discarding all but two words of my post

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
anyways get back is amazing and worth watching all of if you like the beatles. im done posting in this thread farewell

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Raffi... Raffi's the greatest

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Banana Phone? Banger Phone more like cuz it’s fantastic.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Up to the third part now. Getting goosebumps watching the rooftop concert. It would have been amazing to be there.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

kntfkr posted:

cornershop.....

Brimful of jane asher on the

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/michaelpielocik/status/1465706327401918474?t=Jeq55LEqQA5KD6R3hjSxmA&s=19

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
cant wait to watch the long promised road!! oops

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Martman posted:

I think Paul's big problem is that he barely cares what songs are even about, he's just a musical genius and then comes up with some "la la doo dah" lyrics and doesn't really give a poo poo if they're literally the corniest words ever spoken.

"problem" ???

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Amarcarts posted:

I feel like it's fair to poo poo on the wife beater.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

mycophobia posted:

Smash Mouth

Plus I don't think the Beatles have ever ate an egg in their lives

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Paul correctly realized that a rock or pop song doesn't need deep lyrics to be great.

The lyrics to I've Got a Feeling are nonsense but it kicks rear end on the strength of the riff and the delivery of said nonsense.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Beatles have the most #1 albums/singles of any group ever right?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lyrics are just mouth noises that sound good with the music. If they make any sense at all comes secondary.

e: hell sometimes they don’t even have to be real words

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

zakharov posted:

Paul correctly realized that a rock or pop song doesn't need deep lyrics to be great.

The lyrics to I've Got a Feeling are nonsense but it kicks rear end on the strength of the riff and the delivery of said nonsense.
I'm just saying, even songs like that are him being kept relatively in check. Then as he gets deeper into Wings he'll just start saying absolute goofball poo poo like:

quote:

Well now sister Suzi and brother John
Hey, Martin Luther, Phil and Don
Uncle Ernie and my auntie Gin
Said, open the door, let 'em in

or pure cornball stuff like "The lazy lights are pretty, we may end up in Mexico City"

I just think fundamentally he's a lot of the genius at the core of the Beatles but that the other three were extremely important in... I dunno, keeping him on track or something.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Heath posted:

Most of my favorite Beatles songs are the ones Ringo wrote :catte:

Octopus's Garden was the reason I gave the Beatles a chance in the first place :colbert:

I really enjoyed part one, pretty great getting to watch these songs come together. Looking forward to watching the rest of it.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Martman posted:

I'm just saying, even songs like that are him being kept relatively in check. Then as he gets deeper into Wings he'll just start saying absolute goofball poo poo like:

or pure cornball stuff like "The lazy lights are pretty, we may end up in Mexico City"

I just think fundamentally he's a lot of the genius at the core of the Beatles but that the other three were extremely important in... I dunno, keeping him on track or something.

Paul sounds a lot smarter since he cut back on how much pot he uses.

But he was right. Ollie Hardy could have had more sense. He didn’t need to pull that chi-chi and then jump the fence.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I like how at one point (I think in Part 1) Ringo brings up the idea of throwing a 2nd kick pedal into one of the songs.

This semi-confirms his earlier usage of a double-kick pedal on "Good Morning Good Morning."

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Really cool to see Ringo actually bringing out Octopus's Garden, then to see George's interest pique, and come over and start learning it and collaborating. Then to see it kind of morph through the natural process of "finding the chords" and again plucking them out of the ether as if it's just waiting for you to find it. Really incredible stuff. You can see George even hits that C#m 6th chord one time and is almost able to instantly recognize that's the correct path for the pre-chorus, but accidentally loses it and they spend a while finding it again.

Makes me have a lot more respect for Ringo knowing that he actually was the one who started that ball rolling and wasn't just basically singing on a George song.

edit: Part 3 starts with more making fun of Yoko. lol sounding like a dumb annoying child

edit2: lol John and Yoko both passed the gently caress out in the control room and Ringo barely able to stay awake after drinking all weekend. Jesus they were such a mess.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 4, 2021

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

I thought the 'bass invention' was a joke, though one that was also dunking on that guy. He was supposed to be the 'magic' sound engineer dude and literally called himself Magic Alex or whatever. But then the custom studio equipment he created for them was dogshit, and they had to scrap the whole thing. So then some other guys on set made the obviously stupid bass.

If he did make that bass, though, I'm not sure which scenario is more embarrassing...

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Paul writing Get Back is pretty cool, but George coming in one morning like "I wrote this song while watching some random poo poo on TV last night" and busts out a perfect I Me Mine is loving crazy.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Martman posted:

Rocky Raccoon is a treasure

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

mycophobia posted:

They're famous for being famous and you're in love with them for no drat reason.
2/3'ds of their material or more sucks rear end and the rest isnt much better.
They're mass marketed and did well by it.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

zenguitarman posted:

Paul writing Get Back is pretty cool, but George coming in one morning like "I wrote this song while watching some random poo poo on TV last night" and busts out a perfect I Me Mine is loving crazy.

The part that made me go "awww" was the insinuation that "Oh! Darling" was about George

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
it's weird to me that you can be around people that enhance you so much that you can go and just piss out brilliant stuff while watching bullshit TV, but also find those people intolerable and annoying at the same time. Also weird how being universally loved and so successful that you change an entire artform can get loving boring after a while.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Big Beef City posted:

They're famous for being famous and you're in love with them for no drat reason.

Why are you even reading this thread

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Big Beef City posted:

yeah the reason they're insanely popular for 50 years after they broke up is a mystery, 99.999% of the world is actually wrong and they suck. thank you professor genious.

do you ever get tired of being the most disliked poster on the forums because you seem to relish it

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I feel like I'm being personally attacked for stating that the Beatles were a mass marketed pop item with zero substance and that people listening to them 60 years after the fact and trying to find relevance in them are the weird ones. But the thing is that I'm not wrong.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Man these posts you're making in this thread are just stupid and awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Big Beef City posted:

I feel like I'm being personally attacked for stating that the Beatles were a mass marketed pop item with zero substance and that people listening to them 60 years after the fact and trying to find relevance in them are the weird ones. But the thing is that I'm not wrong.

Go away