Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Looth-a-thons are for boring nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

aceface posted:

I started Riders Republic with the demo and wound up liking it enough to buy. In spite of the extreme sports that it consists of, it's actually a very relaxing game to play and chill out to. There's not much of a sense of urgency and you can do whatever the heck you want at your own pace. Fun game.

That being said, aside from the Mass Events which are really cool, I do find it a bit lacking in multiplayer. I wish there was a lobby system to join online events, as far as I can tell the only way to play online is to join a group. Am I missing something?

Yeah I fully agree with everything you said. The mass races are damned fun but apart from that it would be a better single player game than anything else.

I'm mostly a single player game-liker anyways though so that works for me for the most part. But it is surprising how little multiplayer adds to the experience apart from a way for Ubisoft to completely prevent pirating.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Online multiplayer is a crime against god. Man was never meant to face off against enemies that he could not potentially lock eyes with.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Who What Now posted:

Online multiplayer is a crime against god. Man was never meant to face off against enemies that he could not potentially lock eyes with.

This is why uno on the 360 was king

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Play posted:

Yeah I fully agree with everything you said. The mass races are damned fun but apart from that it would be a better single player game than anything else.

I'm mostly a single player game-liker anyways though so that works for me for the most part. But it is surprising how little multiplayer adds to the experience apart from a way for Ubisoft to completely prevent pirating.

Yeah I can't really tell if I'm seeing NPCs, ghosts, or actual online players when i see someone fly past me on a trail, but the fact that i have no obligation to interact with them really makes for a chill experience. An online lobby system similar to what GTA online has for their multiplayer events would be really cool though.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

pretty soft girl posted:

Lock eye with your enemy

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

pretty soft girl posted:

I really miss that whywasibanned site run by Xbox moderators. They had that one where a parent was complaining to Microsoft when their son got banned (after spending hundreds of dollars on Xbox!!!).

The reply was "your son was exposing himself on camera in Uno". There was no followup.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard is one of the best computer adventure games on the Microsoft Xbox 360 home computer system.

e: God drat "You're life will now end. Prepare to begin your death!" :newlol::newlol::newlol:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 2, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Wow Deathloop thanks for teaching me the super new concept of "menus" I would have been super confused otherwise. Also for fucks sake I have a high dpi mouse let me set my mouse sensitivity lower because apparently 0 isn't low enough. gently caress. Why the gently caress can't FPSes figure this poo poo out by now?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Duck and Cover posted:

Wow Deathloop thanks for teaching me the super new concept of "menus" I would have been super confused otherwise. Also for fucks sake I have a high dpi mouse let me set my mouse sensitivity lower because apparently 0 isn't low enough. gently caress. Why the gently caress can't FPSes figure this poo poo out by now?

I almost quit deathloop because of how often the game froze progress to slowly give you a tutorial on how to press a button

For idiotic tutorials it's by far the worst offender of any game I've ever played by a wide margin

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
imo if you're going to have a super hand-holding tutorial that includes laboriously explaining the most basic functionality of playing a video game, then you should also have a prompt for the user to declare "this is not my first video game" and skip most of it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party posted:

imo if you're going to have a super hand-holding tutorial that includes laboriously explaining the most basic functionality of playing a video game, then you should also have a prompt for the user to declare "this is not my first video game" and skip most of it.

I feel this way about most RPGs at this point. I don't need to be told to hit the ice goblin with a fireball even tiny idiot babies can figure that out on their own.

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
The newest God of War game was visually stunning and did some very cool world building and storytelling.

That being said the gameplay was total poo poo. The mobs and bosses were repetitive and every battle felt like a thoughtless lazy roadblock. About 8 hours into the game I quit and watched the remainder of the dialogue/cutscenes on YouTube. Far more enjoyable experience than continuing to slog through the rest.

People liked this game because they liked the idea of the game, not because it was a good game. It catered to the lowest common denominators of gamers and their inability to fall prey to hype mentality.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

aceface posted:

The newest God of War game was visually stunning and did some very cool world building and storytelling.

That being said the gameplay was total poo poo. The mobs and bosses were repetitive and every battle felt like a thoughtless lazy roadblock. About 8 hours into the game I quit and watched the remainder of the dialogue/cutscenes on YouTube. Far more enjoyable experience than continuing to slog through the rest.

People liked this game because they liked the idea of the game, not because it was a good game. It catered to the lowest common denominators of gamers and their inability to fall prey to hype mentality.

This post could have been made after the release of every God of War game: shallow as gently caress combat and gameplay (GET READY FOR MORE PUSH PUZZLES), somewhat interesting world-building and pretty (for the time) set pieces.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
God of War was great and I loved it, but it would've been better if there were no menial mobs to fight. Mass mob battles that are interesting, or just bosses.

Really loved it tho, sorry.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I loved the God of War games for the same reasons that I loved Face Off. Sometimes entertainment doesn't need to be deeply emotionally fulfilling

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I found the worst article about video games to ever exist and now I feel sick
https://www.fandom.com/articles/skyrim-dungeons-dragons-dnd

"If You Love ‘Skyrim’, You’ll Love D&D. Here’s Why!"
  • because D&D and Skyrim both have multiple classes
  • They both have side-quests
  • You can play a Skyrim campaign in D&D or even pretend Skyrim is part of D&D

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The part that makes me feel sick is imagining the kind of person who loves Skyrim so much that they would put together a D&D group and then surprise everyone with an announcement that they will be playing a Skyrim-themed campaign, and would then probably want to run the same campaign over and over for 10 years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Meme Poker Party posted:

The worst parts are tutorials that are completely unrepresentative of the rest of the game and don't actually teach you anything useful.

I think it came up somewhere recently that the mandatory tutorial for Driver 1 is the hardest part of the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

There are many, many games and analytics in games showing that people will not read tutorials and then will complain the game never told them how to do [x] where that is something unique about the game. One of the fastest evolving parts of games currently is how do you communicate to players the rules of the title so they actually internalize them.

Edit: easy example is the people with hundreds of hours in fallout 3/nv/4 who did not know the pip boy works as a flashlight despite that being in both the tutorial and in loading screen tooltips

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Finally someone said on video all of the things that are unpopular but true about video games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC5JnJD9KzY

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Another example is FFXIII where the game even tells you the atb trick in tutorial but people act like it hides that and how multiple of the same role stack or that SAB maintains the stagger gauge just like a commando does.

Or Doom 5 where people didn't know the chainsaw last pip constantly regenerates over time and provides all ammo types, which is close to the very first tutorial in the game so you can't even blame the game on burning you out with tips at that point.

I guess my summary is people, generally, don't want to learn how to play a game and then will complain when you force them to do so, but the amount of people who complain about the mandatory learning is massively less detrimental than the people who would be completely lost and angry your game sucks because they didn't know how to actually play since they didn't bother learning it if you didn't have forced tutorials

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

All games should have mandatory tutorials, and should force everyone go play on a level called EASY the first time, only to find out there are no harder levels to unlock.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FF13 is a bad example though because anyone still playing final fantasy games by that point had severe brain damage

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
We need to go back to the days where if you beat the game on Easy mode, you just get a message in plain text saying "Good job! But to see the ending you need to play on Normal!".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Breetai posted:

We need to go back to the days where if you beat the game on Easy mode, you just get a message in plain text saying "Good job! But to see the ending you need to play on Normal!".

No, vice versa. To get the true ending, you have to play on easy.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Get rid of all easy modes in every game, it'd be really funny.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Breetai posted:

Yes

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

Get rid of all easy modes in every game, it'd be really funny.

ONLY easy modes instead.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Breetai posted:

No, you beat the second-to-last level on Easy mode and then it just says "screw you pal you don't even get to finish the game until you replay from the beginning on a harder difficulty!"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Beat the game on Ultra Hard and it just laughs at you and mocks you for being a loser.

Beat it on easy and it mocks you because what was even the point?

Any other difficulty it accuses you of being a dirty centrist and to pick a side.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Have easy medium and hard but reverse the difficulty scaling between easy and hard.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pass a law that every souls-like has to be rereleased with a Difficulty option at the start of a new game, there are options for Hard, Normal, and "extra easy, literally for little babies with no motor control" but Hard and Normal are permanently greyed out and are impossible to unlock because they don't actually do anything

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Make the easiest difficulty ultra hard and ramp up from there. Not the actual difficulty, just the names. Watch people inexplicably bemoan their work schedule and parenting duties in response.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

easy mode can be called "just stand there and mash buttons like a child" because thats what most of them are

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

ONLY easy modes instead.

Games already only have easy modes (because video games are easy) (except street fighter and starcraft, that poo poo looks hard)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Breetai posted:

Have easy medium and hard but reverse the difficulty scaling between easy and hard.

They tried that - in a way - with Anthem.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Imagine being such a broken person that you want your entertainment to be hard. Just go play soccer or basketball or whatever if you want to put in actual effort lmao smhd.

e: The best game for difficulty levels was UFO: Enemy Unknown because there were four or five levels to select, but they all were 100% the same.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
jrpgs are incredibly uninspired garbage games for idiot manchildren

actually im not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JRPGs for the most part are for actual children, like they're very engaging if you're 12-15 years old