Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what do you like best
This poll is closed.
pics 69 0.39%
vids 420 2.40%
gazza.txt 8008 45.77%
havin yer mam 9001 51.44%
Total: 17498 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Time wasting at its finest. The next level is tripping over the sideline as you're being subbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Or stopping to adjust your shoelaces mid walk out of the field.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

One of their other players, on the other hand, ran up to the ref and wouldn't stop screaming like a loving idiot at him and got himself booked.

gently caress that soft, wet bus ticket. Should be an instant red, and 10+-week ban.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Just all the lols at this.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Sickening levels of Wealdstone erasure. The club that gave the world Jermaine Beckford shouldnt be treated this shoddily

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

the sex ghost posted:

Sickening levels of Wealdstone erasure. The club that gave the world Jermaine Beckford shouldnt be treated this shoddily

they've got no fans

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Tag urself, I'm abbravations

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at how ingrained diving is to do it when pushed by your teammate

https://twitter.com/EurosportNorge/status/1465017283152125955?s=20

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jose posted:

lol at how ingrained diving is to do it when pushed by your teammate

https://twitter.com/EurosportNorge/status/1465017283152125955?s=20
Twitter Translate puts it best: "What's going on with Viking ?! Brekalo attacks his own goalkeeper and is sent off in overtime. Incredible scenes on the butt!"

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just all the lols at this.
What's funny about it? Seems generally accurate based on my experience of living in London.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Flayer posted:

What's funny about it? Seems generally accurate based on my experience of living in London.

Go on Twisto give us a London geography + history post.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
https://twitter.com/garrycarmody/status/1465260230732914688?s=21

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
All of that London map should be red, for Manchester United.

Rack 'em.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Flayer posted:

Okay, we'll start with the one I take the most personally - Millwall fans north of the river.. There's probably more Millwall RFC fans than Millwall AFC fans in Millwall because there's sometimes a bloke with a dog who watches their games.

Now if this map was drawn up in 1910, when Millwall actually played in Millwall (the proper name for the western and southern bits of the Isle of Dogs), that map might actually be vaguely accurate and I'd even given them props for including Wapping and Ratcliff in the contested West Ham/Millwall grounds but question them *not* including Custom House and North Woolwich, as the split - until Millwall did a moonlight south of the river - was, believe it or not, mostly about which unions the fans belonged to - West Ham fans were in the old-fashioned skilled-manual trade and craft unions - shipbuilders, boilermakers, and the intriguingly named Hole Cutters - while Millwall fans were in the New Unions for casual and unskilled-manual labour, particularly the dockers.

Of course it isn't set in 1910 because at that point people in Bermondsey still played that game the Aztecs did where the winner got their heart cut out - Millwall moving there increased the level of sophistication on both sides of the river. Stealing the name (which had existed for 300 years before they did) was of course just part of them and their perfidous south London ways and the first of the Old Tricks that they're famous for. While a few hardy souls *did* stay loyal and jumped on the train down to New Cross, I suspect there were less of them than people commuting from Wimbledon to Milton Keynes after Franchise FC moved up there. There should also be a load of Millwall fans being shown down towards Thamesmead (especially Belmarsh arf arf) because they migrated east in the exact same way as West Ham fans did after the war.

Speaking of moves - much as I appreciate the blast from the past, West Ham haven't played at the Boleyn for 5 years, but I suppose I can give them the benefit of the doubt there.

Other bits that really stand out - there's no loving Watford fans in Pinner, let alone a majority. Just... no. While I have a soft spot for Orient, their fans barely make up a majority of the people *at a home game*, let alone the massive chunk of solid West Ham territory they've given them in Waltham Forest, but I'll given them a tiny bit of props for including Clapton, across the border in Hackney, it's own little bit - that is in fact a little colony of Os fans where the team got their start. While we're up there though - there's not that many Spurs fans in Epping and the general northeast London/Essex hinterlands. Chigwell maaaaybe, but Loughton and other areas at the end of the Central Line are stronger West Ham heartlands than Newham itself thanks to white flight. Claiming Wandsworth and Battersea as Fulham strongholds is just baffling - they *do* have fans south of the river, especially down towards Kew, but those areas are definitely Chelsea (SW London traditionally being rugby and cricket territory means there were no full-time clubs down there until Wimbledon turned up in the 70s and 80s - incidentally nice job with the label for Wimbledon).

Probably the most egregious thing is that they miss out the fact that most of (the borough of) Barnet, as well as all of Hackney and most of Haringey, would be contested Arsenal/Spurs - I'm going to be charitable and say that little blue square in Barnet is actually some sort of misprint of this and *not* the compiler being *staggeringly* antisemitic, as it's suspiciously close to Golders Green Crematorium and the adjacent Jewish Cemetery).

There was a lot more to this post - including a long account of the Docker's Tanner Strike - but I'll let you all off with this cut down version. TLDR - map bad.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
In terms of Photos that are Cool and Good:

Atletico Mineiro is on the verge of winning the Brazilian league for the first time in 50 years.
We've gotten close before. But *something* always happened. For example, in 1977 and 1980 we came very close to it. But here's the thing, during that time we had probably the greatest football player all of you have never heard of. Reinaldo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnCBi6-CVqQ

This guy:

He had an afro, and he celebrated that way because he was inspired by the Black Panthers. In the middle of the dictatorship. In 1978, for example, the Brazilian dictator told him not to celebrate that way in the world cup. He did, and not too long after that he was benched. But, of course, that is not the main thing I wanted to talk about. It's more about how Reinaldo was robbed twice of the Brazilian championship, and how he was hunted on the field.

In 1977, Reinaldo was 20 years old. He put together perhaps the greatest season in modern football history. Brazil still had one of those crazy championship formats with playoffs and all that poo poo. Keep in mind that this was still a good Brazilian league. There were more players based in the Brazilian league in the 1974 WC than in any other league in the world. The season for Atletico was 21 games long. Reinaldo played in 18 of those. And in 18 games he scored 28 goals. No typos there. An average of over 1.5 goals a game. He scored in every single one of the 18 games he played. Why did he miss 3 games? That is where the whole thing goes to poo poo. He received a red card in a game against Fast Club. He then sat out the next game, against Botafogo (which ended in a draw, 0x0), because of that red card. So he came back afterwards and played the next three games for Atletico. But in the middle of the semifinals against Londrina, CBF decided to suspend him for an additional 2 games. So he missed the second leg of the semifinal. The final was a single game, Atletico played without him, tied 0x0 and lost on PKs. Atletico was runner up with 17 wins, 4 ties, no losses. The 4 ties included the 3 games he missed. With him on the field, Atletico win 17 and tied 1.

Reinaldo's career would go on to be derailed by injuries. He was hunted on the field, with the implicit support of CBF. By age 21, he had no meniscus left. He missed a lot of games. Never became what he was destined to be.

But he had one more good season in him. And in 1980 he made it to the finals again. This time against Flamengo. Flamengo was the dictatorship's favorite team. To the point that Flamengo was sponsored by the state oil company, which, at the time, had a monopoly granted by the state. The finals were once again marked by a weirdness in format. The team who did better in the semi finals had the tie advantage in the final. Flamengo won 2 games against the relatively weak Coritiba, Atletico won 1 and tied 1 against defending champions Internacional.

First game of the final was 1 x 0 for Atletico.

Second game was in Rio. Flamengo scored 1st. Reinaldo tied it, Flamengo scored again, Reinaldo tied it again. He was hunted on the field, beaten up, limping, and still scoring. The ref was clearly bought and paid for. Now, I know that every losing fan says this. So I will post a single play and let you see for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eryUiaEMpmE&t=90s

(go to 1:30 if the timed url doesn't work). Game 2x2. Reinaldo is on a break way to score the 3rd goal. Play gets stopped for offsides. Look at the top of the video. He is clearly not offsides, by several meters. On the way back, he touches the ball, stands in front of the player trying to kick the offsides. Obviously a bit of time wasting. So he gets a red card. Not a yellow. Not a warning. A straight red card. 2 other Atletico players get sent off for complaining. 3 down, Flamengo scores, Atletico loses is because flamengo had a better performance in the semi-finals (overall, Atletico still had the better campaign).

Why all of this now?

This is Hulk, yesterday, after scoring his 5th goal in 3 games

This is who he was looking at

a 64 year old Reinaldo.

Atletico has 3 games left. Flamengo has 4. If atletico wins 1, or ties 2, or Flamengo ties any of their remaining games left, Atletico wins it all. 11 points ahead of Flamengo right now.

I didn't cry yesterday. But I did today.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 30, 2021

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Amazing story, thanks for sharing, I'll be paying attention to this now and hoping you guys win it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tomorrow we are all Ceará fans

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
That's really cool joepinetree, are there currently any weird issues with state run clubs or has that been done away with? What's the general feeling in Brazil about this run by Atletico Mineiro?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Not a lot of state run companies left to sponsor clubs. Last weird deal was probably Eletrobras (a state run electrical company that has no consumer facing business) sponsoring Vasco between 2009 and 2013.

I don't live in Brazil anymore, so I don't know what people on the street feel. But in terms of media, Brazilian national media tends to be very centered around Sao Paulo and Rio, so Atletico kind of gets overshadowed. A lot more talking about Flamengo failing this year (flamengo is still the richest brazilian club by far, their monthly football payroll is about 40% bigger than Palmeiras and about 50% bigger than Atletico's) and Palmeiras winning their second straight Libertadores. In between talking about those 2 things, they will talk about Atletico probably winning after 50 years.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 30, 2021

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Fantastic post, man. Some of the worst and best parts about this brilliantly dumb sport we all love.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Tomorrow we are all Ceará fans

What a great post

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The post about the Brazilian stuff I mean, not the quoted post. Which was okay

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Football Photos and Videos and Stories that are cool and good

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

The post about the Brazilian stuff I mean, not the quoted post. Which was okay

gently caress you, dad

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

joepinetree posted:

Cool poo poo

Thanks for this great post op

I was at a thanksgiving meal on saturday cooked by an American friend of mine and her parents who had come to visit, and her Brazilian boyfriend was there who is a huge chauvinist right wing Bolsonaro supporting piece of poo poo

He was wearing a Flamengo shirt and spent a good portion of the meal (when not talking over everyone) staring at his phone and bitching because Flamengo were losing the Copa Libertadores final so now I have even more context to be glad about their losses

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

This is an amazing story featuring great photos and videos, thank you for sharing it. I really hope Hulk smashes in a billion more goals and the team just run away with it.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I’ve had a soft spot for atlletico since the ronaldinho bernard days and I hope they smash

great post

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Butterfly Valley posted:

I was at a thanksgiving meal on saturday cooked by an American friend of mine and her parents who had come to visit, and her Brazilian boyfriend was there who is a huge chauvinist right wing Bolsonaro supporting piece of poo poo

He was wearing a Flamengo shirt and spent a good portion of the meal (when not talking over everyone) staring at his phone and bitching because Flamengo were losing the Copa Libertadores final so now I have even more context to be glad about their losses

Can you tell him he's a filho da puta

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

I already hated Flamengo. Then on Friday Bolsonaro went and said that Saturday everyone should be rooting for Flamengo. It just made the whole thing so much sweeter.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/_ConnorMcMain/status/1465785680177606672?s=20

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Came across this today. Goal by Benji De Ceulaer, nominated for the Puskas award in 2011. A Lokeren player nominated for the Puskas, lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aupgwMsrkyQ

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwowWA8168&t=50s

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
And in non-Atletico videos, here's a goal Gremio scored today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2HMrQFYNjE

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
https://mobile.twitter.com/FootyRustling/status/1464707146784944140

lol

The second half was abandoned after they came out with only 7 players, one of whom then got injured

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Bafflingly, they didn't request postponing the fixture because there would be fixture congestion later in the season. I guess they were probably going to lose to Benfica anyway, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I think they were told they couldn't, and now they're suing.