Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Happy Landfill posted:

To be fair, his super special Cube and Circle are so mundane it's kind of easy to forget he's trying to make them in to a Super Special Symbolism . Also, as said above, I don't think he understands what dream symbolism actually. Alternatively, he doesn't ave any decent ideas on how to make that sort of thing new and interesting in his world beyond, just the symbol, like, there :effort:
It's not so much dream symbolism as dream emoticons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
I am just so confused. Is everything that's happened been part of an elaborate vision ever since he got dragged under water by the swamp hag? Or is what we're seeing simply post-nut oracular visions?

With all this symbol of renewal stuff, are we gonna get a reveal later that he knocked up Swamp Hag?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I attempted to read both of those symbol explanations to figure out why this was a revelation and they are both basically the same? They both say they're the first step, etc. It reminded me a little of OFF where each area said their element was the most important, but I could find a meaning in that decision in OFF. Here, it's like... okay, what are you trying to tell me? Like a bad game of charades.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I am just so confused. Is everything that's happened been part of an elaborate vision ever since he got dragged under water by the swamp hag? Or is what we're seeing simply post-nut oracular visions?

With all this symbol of renewal stuff, are we gonna get a reveal later that he knocked up Swamp Hag?

Getting dragged underwater in the first place was a vision, didn't really happen.

Everything else up until this point, including the bog witch coitus, really happened.

Now he is asleep and dreaming, and revisiting the earlier vision, which he now understand because of, uh, bog witch coitus.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I attempted to read both of those symbol explanations to figure out why this was a revelation and they are both basically the same? They both say they're the first step, etc. It reminded me a little of OFF where each area said their element was the most important, but I could find a meaning in that decision in OFF. Here, it's like... okay, what are you trying to tell me? Like a bad game of charades.

The descriptions were intentionally supposed to be confusing to both us and the characters. Now Snout understands them, but hasn't shared his revelation with the rest of the class (or even that it was a revelation, unless you read Mookie's Twitter too).

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 1, 2021

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wait a minute if the revelation is that the curly symbol has to go inside the cube...

it's going to be that isn't it

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
It's real simple, renewal = refractory period and he's just about ready to dive back in to some dank swussy.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Edit: It occurs to me that maybe Snout being able to control his dream now (confirmed that's what happen from Mookie's twitter) may be because he fully divested from his friends who were "holding him back" by having sex with the bog witch instead of fighting for them? If so, that MIGHT be an interesting development. Maybe. If it was anyone other than Mookie writing it.

I'm not betting on it though.

This is from a little while ago, but the implication that Snout has figured out how to control his dreams makes the lucid dreaming book he's supposedly been searching for kind of irrelevant, doesn't it? And yes, I know that's a small thing compared to the protagonist dropping everything to have sex with someone he only just met (and didn't like!).

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Will he still have the horns and tendrils when he wakes up? He's like one of those Pokémon that only evolve under esoteric conditions.

"Oh! Your Snout hosed a Water/Grass type. It looks like he's evolving!"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Medenmath posted:

This is from a little while ago, but the implication that Snout has figured out how to control his dreams makes the lucid dreaming book he's supposedly been searching for kind of irrelevant, doesn't it? And yes, I know that's a small thing compared to the protagonist dropping everything to have sex with someone he only just met (and didn't like!).

Yeah it does. But I mean he's already been lucid dreaming for a while now, its not really clear how this time is different - also they seemed to have forgotten about the book long ago anyway.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Mutant Headcrab posted:

"Oh! Your Snout hosed a Water/Grass type (in a dream(?)). It looks like he's evolving!"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Says a lot about Terracciano's abilities as an artist if when presented with a dreamscape the only thing he can come up with is just copying and pasting the stupid symbols with their respective labels

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

thank you, friend

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Calaveron posted:

Says a lot about Terracciano's abilities as an artist if when presented with a dreamscape the only thing he can come up with is just copying and pasting the stupid symbols with their respective labels

The only difference between Mookie's dreamscapes and the real world is that the white void is canon in the dreamscapes instead of just laziness.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

a cartoon duck posted:

thank you, friend

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah it does. But I mean he's already been lucid dreaming for a while now, its not really clear how this time is different - also they seemed to have forgotten about the book long ago anyway.

I'm gonna assume Mookie assumes lucid dreaming means "Do Dominic Deegan style psychic godhood," as opposed to, "I am aware I am dreaming."

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

:discourse:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Happy Landfill posted:

To be fair, his super special Cube and Circle are so mundane it's kind of easy to forget he's trying to make them in to a Super Special Symbolism . Also, as said above, I don't think he understands what dream symbolism actually. Alternatively, he doesn't ave any decent ideas on how to make that sort of thing new and interesting in his world beyond, just the symbol, like, there :effort:

A better comic might have very clear, specific symbols repeatedly occurring across multiple epeople's dreams as a sign of some, possibly malicious, outside interfernce. Because, yeah, that's not how dream symbolism works.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Guess we'll wait for a journal entry that spells out exactly what the hell this means just like always!

Still loving hilarious that it took getting laid for him to have this epiphany (whatever it is). It's like in It when the kids have a preteen gangbang to give themselves the clarity of mind to find their way out of the sewers :v:
excuse me what

I've never actually read It, that's the justification for why the infamous scene is there?

EDIT: Also yes more original comic retrospective please

Zereth fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 2, 2021

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

a cartoon duck posted:

thank you, friend

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Mookie has yet to establish any kind of narrative mechanism by which the goal of the characters can possibly be attained. They are looking for "the legacy of Dominic Deegan". They are not sure what this is. They are not sure what it will mean. They are learning more about what Dominic did after defeating the Big Bads but there is some more fundamental force or magic they are wishing to capture (Arduak to resurrect his wife because he thinks it will do that somehow).

Because there is no mechanism in place, we cannot possibly understand how Snout's post-sex dream of the two symbols he's seen before represents any kind of breakthrough. Is it a spell he can cast? A door he can open that will take them somewhere? It's impossible to tell.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zereth posted:

excuse me what

I've never actually read It, that's the justification for why the infamous scene is there?

EDIT: Also yes more original comic retrospective please

Without getting too far into it, yeah. To actually get too far into it, They're lost in the sewers and scared, so they all have sex with the female member of the group, and afterwards they are able to calmly make their way out of the sewer. It's intended to be a kind of ritual to break the spell of the monster holding them there, but it's deeply troubling that A) the most important thing the sole female member of the group had to contribute was her body, and B) they are all goddamn preteens what the gently caress Stephen King what the gently caress.

Anyway! Mookie bad, yes?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

The cube had so many secrets that are now clear to me, now that I can see it's a cube.

Also did he just have sex then immediately go to sleep? Man, he's not even considerate to the river hag he ditched his friends for.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Without getting too far into it, yeah. To actually get too far into it, :words:
Anyway! Mookie bad, yes?
:yikes:

yep. mookie bad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
In Stephen King's defense he was high as gently caress for most of the 80s

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

First sexual experience as a coming of age moment isn't an uncommon theme for authors to explore, and the idea of needing to put childish fears behind you to defeat the monster that feeds on fear isn't a bad one, but those two probably shouldn't be combined with each other and

Rotten Red Rod posted:

they are all goddamn preteens what the gently caress Stephen King what the gently caress.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I hate Scrunt cruci-nutting when he recognizes a cube and spiral

edit: fixed autocorrect of cube into cyber

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 3, 2021

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

legacy is still going absolutely nowhere

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

ew no

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol so he ditched his friends to go gently caress swamp hag, then fell asleep all night and is now waking up after another stupid dream

Wonder what his "friends" were thinking when he wandered off without telling them and didn't come back

Oh wait, it won't matter because they don't exist off panel.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Codependent Poster posted:

Wonder what his "friends" were thinking when he wandered off without telling them and didn't come back

"thank god"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Okay. I hate how Snout's ears stick out perpendicular to his head like handlebars when he's bending over backwards in the middle there, but then at the bottom they're clearly sticking close to the sides of his head, right up against them.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Personally, I'm very fond of this great view of how Snout's tail emerges from the middle of his spine.

I think this means that it's reasonable to assume that his tail has no bones at all and is just a fleshy appendage full of erectile tissue, and I regret having this thought.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
So all the "protrusions" just retract back in then. Guess I wasn't wrong posting that moth video.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There's no biological reason for all that poo poo to sprout when he fucks. Like maybe it would make sense if it happened when he was trying to attract her, like a peacock. But she was already grabbing his gross dick so

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

The smut we've all been waiting for

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

this is the perfect image

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mutant Headcrab posted:

So all the "protrusions" just retract back in then. Guess I wasn't wrong posting that moth video.

Lol if you thought Mookie would give himself that extra drawing work longterm.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I keep saying it, but I'm genuinely amazed at the degree to which this is going nowhere.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wed: Snout had a revelation!

Fri: No he didn't lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Why would you expect him to have had one? New things only get introduced on Mondays.