Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Laowhy86 is a disgusting piece of poo poo, and I am very concerned for the future welfare of his child. He is on record as resenting his daughter because she don't look white enough for him. He just flat out ignores his wife's emotional distress because he was more concerned for all the clicks he was gonna get.

Don't loving give him any benefit of the doubt. He is absolute proof that you can be married to someone of another race and still be completely bigoted and racist fuckhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

paperwind posted:

Laowhy86 is a disgusting piece of poo poo, and I am very concerned for the future welfare of his child. He is on record as resenting his daughter because she don't look white enough for him. He just flat out ignores his wife's emotional distress because he was more concerned for all the clicks he was gonna get.

Don't loving give him any benefit of the doubt. He is absolute proof that you can be married to someone of another race and still be completely bigoted and racist fuckhead.

what the gently caress do you mean, he can't be racist, he hosed one of them!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
"here's why the incredibly lovely thing i did on camera that has everyone yelling at me actually isn't that bad"

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
who

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Laowhy86

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
incredible

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

If you scroll down past the list of warstuff manufacturers that sponsor ASPI you'll find basically all the major US tech conglomerates. Even got the updated Meta logo lol. I could've sworn Twitter was on this list last time I looked at it, not sure why they're not on it anymore.

https://www.aspi.org.au/sponsors

We should probably look forward to more of their Independent Analysis on basically all social media platforms.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can I donate 50 dollarydoos to their patreon to have my logo there?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/prwc_info/status/1466637190356619267?t=-RLPSjMjmPg-emQdbnEfKg&s=19

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol i found something funny thing about aspi's funding last time it came up.

this is listed on their website: https://www.aspi.org.au/about-aspi/funding

quote:

ASPI Funding
The Australian Strategic Policy Institute is a wholly-owned Commonwealth Company formed in 2001 as an independent, non-partisan think tank. ASPI receives funding from Australian and overseas Governments, industry and civil society groups for sponsorship, research and project support.

ASPI remains independent in the content of our research and in all editorial judgements and employs a rigorous internal and external peer review process.

but in the detailed report:

while we're at it:

:magemage:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
love 2 receive $600,000 from the US state dept. for disinformation

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

I love it when the Analysis is Independent

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They take money from everyone, so whatever point of view they espouse there's going to be a donor who supports it, too, but there's never an expectation that they can satisfy everyone. This is real independence.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
They received money from the Canadian government to remotely "study" the Chinese students and scholarship in Canada?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

That think tank is as much of a private-public partnership as I've ever seen.

stephenthinkpad posted:

They received money from the Canadian government to remotely "study" the Chinese students and scholarship in Canada?

Yes. The funny thing of it is that Human Rights Watch claimed China was using the CSSA to spy on their own students abroad, so apparently everyone in the world is spying on Chinese students & scholars - but it's only a human rights violation if it's China doing it to Chinese?

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 07:37 on Dec 3, 2021

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
all the Xinjiang satellite image stories seem to lead straight to aspi

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Ignorant Hick posted:

That video turned me on to it, real solid war movie. For a Chinese WW2 film the jingoism is surprisingly restrained and aside from a few scenes it never goes over the top. The Japanese are portrayed fairly, we see some being intensely cruel but for the most part they're shown as a skilled, disciplined enemy with real human beings in charge. There's one action scene on the roof with the chinese trying to keep the flag raised for the international observers while they're getting cut down by aircraft. If any other country made a movie with that scene my eyes would roll out of my skull but here it actually works. And it helps that it's a KMT flag they're keeping up. The guy is right on the money with the ending though, that poo poo is embarrassing.

The scene where they're suicide bombing the sappers is legitimately moving, it's stuck with me.

I watched this movie yesterday and I liked it a lot. It's quite heavy on the patriotism but it's interesting to see the Nationalist Chinese portrayed as heroic (it goes heavy on the 'Chinese nation' regardless of current political situation etc), and the whole individual sacrifice for the collective good but still mourning the individuals is well done. And yeah that scene with the sappers... I'm a big softie when it comes to movies these days so it doesn't take much to jerk some tears for me and it really got me good.

I enjoyed the variety of perspectives (Chinese soldiers, Chinese civilians, Japanese soldiers, western civilians and soldiers in the Concession) and the portrayal of Shanghai in 1937 is really interesting. Lots of cool visual stuff with people on each side of the river watching the other, too - soldiers wistful at the wealth and light on display in the concession, civilians being voyeuristic or anguished watching the battle going on, the observers in the goodyear blimp. Really nice.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lukewearechange/status/1466548874814758913

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/asiatimesonline/status/1466258517497630726

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

that's an australian quarantine facility.

it's probably not great there, but i'm pretty sure you get released after 14 days.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Portugal is Eastern European so this checks out.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
C'mon Iraq! Not into leisure?!?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

crepeface posted:

that's an australian quarantine facility.

it's probably not great there, but i'm pretty sure you get released after 14 days.

No, it's exactly like Auschwitz! Didn't you see this video of someone getting told off for drinking tea outside their room?!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10270453/How-Xi-Jinping-overthrown-Chinas-Communist-Party-President.html

Suuuure. Extremely popular, each action vindicated in a short span, one of the few economies still properly working post covid

But he's going to be overthrown any moment guys and australia are going to be the real winners

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10270453/How-Xi-Jinping-overthrown-Chinas-Communist-Party-President.html

Suuuure. Extremely popular, each action vindicated in a short span, one of the few economies still properly working post covid

But he's going to be overthrown any moment guys and australia are going to be the real winners

i) It's the Daily Mail.

ii) Whatever your opinion on Xi, his overthrow seems unlikely in the near future. He has systematically removed his likely opposition, and as noted has a strong recent track record with the population on both covid and on various state welfare initiatives. At this point the greatest threat is presumably Being Pretty Old.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jonnytickle/status/1466729800832372736?s=20

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah and a monthly system pass is about 20 dollars a month.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ardennes posted:

Wow, what's that in USD?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ardennes posted:

Nice Russian propaganda, Mr. Bot Ivanski. My independent fact check reveals it's closer to 30 dollars (35 with suburban zones).

\/\/\/ You might as well take the annual pass then, which is 265/330 USD per year or 22/28 USD per month.

Paladinus has issued a correction as of 14:15 on Dec 3, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Wow, what's that in USD?

It’s 5400 Rubles for a 3 month pass which comes out to 23.50-24.50 USD a month spending on recent exchange rates.

Paladinus posted:

Nice Russian propaganda, Mr. Bot Ivanski. My independent fact check reveals it's closer to 30 dollars.

Yeah, there is a substantial discount for the 3 month pass which there is no particular reason not to take. There are plenty of issues in Russia but public transportation in Moscow isn’t one of them.

I have a Russian friend in the Netherlands who constantly complains about costs (including but not limited to public transportation) which is absolutely punishing even considering wage differences. Last I checked it was 331 Euros a month in Amsterdam for a OV pass. London is far worse than that.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:48 on Dec 3, 2021

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Ardennes posted:

that is why russia cannot be considered a fully liberalized econonmy because too much :ussr: transit influences

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

dead gay comedy forums posted:

that is why russia cannot be considered a fully liberalized econonmy because too much :ussr: transit influences

Also, state companies own a big chunk of the economy, which people (libs) constantly bitch about and constantly demand to go back to the “freedom” (?) of the 1990s.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Seriously, what is the actual pass cost.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, I complain about the beijing subway a lot (loving transfers man) but the price and breadth is insane compared to america. also american and western european metros are so loving expensive. insane, I honestly dunno how poor people get around.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
https://mobile.twitter.com/S3Rnews/status/1191064043253096448

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chicagos CTA is $100 a month and NYCs Metro pass is like $125 lol

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Mirello posted:

yeah, I complain about the beijing subway a lot (loving transfers man) but the price and breadth is insane compared to america. also american and western european metros are so loving expensive. insane, I honestly dunno how poor people get around.

London buses straight up don't take cash any more. Keeps the undesirables away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Chicagos CTA is $100 a month and NYCs Metro pass is like $125 lol

the (extremely limited) subway in Glasgow costs £54 per month lol