Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
There is no default, there is no correct, as long as your meaning is clear then it literally doesn't matter.

Linguistic pedantry is my pet peeve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hence why there needs to be a clear distinction between barbecue and grill, two very different ways of cooking

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Just gonna put my roast under the grill, like a maniac

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

British cook using a small amphibian, I don't trust them

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fake puns. Example: the video game Yooka-Laylee. So you've misspelled the word ukulele. It has the form of pun, but where's the clever double meaning? There is none. You're relying on the audience reacting to the expectation of a joke instead of actually writing a joke. How does this keep working on so many people? It's poo poo.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The Perfect Element posted:

There is no default, there is no correct, as long as your meaning is clear then it literally doesn't matter.

Linguistic pedantry is my pet peeve.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking of: I'm peeved when anglos think that french people give a gently caress what the AF says is "correct" french. You wash your hair with le shampooing, scotcher is to stick two things together with tape, and you send les e-mails to your boss. Nobody in the past two centuries has given a poo poo that the Académie Française thinks french people don't talk frenchly enough.

ALSO, stop giving french poo poo for sixty-ten and four-twenty-nineteen when languages like danish are out there. This is one half treds. It is five-sixths of a treds. We danes are very good at math :denmark:

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Dec 2, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tiggum posted:

Fake puns. Example: the video game Yooka-Laylee. So you've misspelled the word ukulele. It has the form of pun, but where's the clever double meaning? There is none. You're relying on the audience reacting to the expectation of a joke instead of actually writing a joke. How does this keep working on so many people? It's poo poo.

It's called Yooka-Laylee because it's a spiritual sequel to classic platformer Banjo-Kazooie.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the correct way to speak is "vaguely american" but with just enough british influences that it will annoy americans

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

American accent with British slang is definitely the way to annoy the most possible people at once.

Pet peeves about my Christmas tree:

1) the lights automatically default to flashing whenever they're turned back on and the only way to change them is to press a button to cycle through a bunch of options including ridiculously fast strobe lighting to get to them just staying on all the time.

2) it has bells on it and it's near the window so if the window is open it will ring. There was an earthquake this morning and it sounded like Santa was coming past.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i never say bollocks or lift or bloody or whatever but i tend to pronounce "schedule" with a soft ch and it annoyed the hell out of my old boss

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wtf are you on about, americans don't get annoyed by british (or irish, or kiwi, or australian) accents they get hard ons for them. You prolly could talk like the Lucky Charms mascot and convince 3/4 of the country your family has lived in County Kildare for nigh on thirty generations.

What's fuckin annoying is self-hating americans going "oh, if only we were smart enough to talk right but we're just so goddam stupid we can't form our mouth parts to speak the Queen's, boy Sherlock, Doctor Who, and Harry Potter are so good though"

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 12:54 on Dec 3, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

ALSO, stop giving french poo poo for sixty-ten and four-twenty-nineteen when languages like danish are out there. This is one half treds. It is five-sixths of a treds. We danes are very good at math :denmark:

It's even worse than that. Tres is short for tresindstyve, meaning three times twenty.

So halvtreds is short for halvtredsindstyve, so half three times twenty, but it's only the last twenty that is halved, because reasons.

Still not as bad as French. Four twenty ten nine :frogout:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

American accent with British slang is definitely the way to annoy the most possible people at once.

British slang is fun and I will keep using it. I don't care if it annoys people, ya wanker.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

KozmoNaut posted:

It's even worse than that. Tres is short for tresindstyve, meaning three times twenty.

So halvtreds is short for halvtredsindstyve, so half three times twenty, but it's only the last twenty that is halved, because reasons.

It works the same as for clocks, where in Danish you don't say "half past five", you say "half six", which is not three, but halfway to six from the previous number. Halv tredsintyve is just "half of the way to tredsintyve (from the previous number with a name)".

Makes perfect sense, unless of course your brain is functional.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've got a bad case of Dane-brain.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

KozmoNaut posted:

The worst part isn't the numbers, it's that belgians just say octante. When you gotta hand it to belgians for something that isn't beer or fries, things have gone wrong somewhere. The swiss also use it, but some of them also say huitante and quatre-vingts, so it's not as shameful. Pick a side you alpine fuckers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My dad called me at work about 30 minutes ago. I'm answering my phone as I'm running to the stairwell for privacy, because something bad has to have happened for him to call me in the middle of a work day. My dad got a new phone and wanted to make sure it worked.

What the hell is wrong with retired parents that think this is ok? Like my mom has a phone, which is in the same house, you could have called that, or I'd you absolutely need to try my number you could wait until after 5:00 when I'm not at work.

It's like the time my mom called me at 7:30 in the morning on a work day in October, because she wanted to know my Christmas plans.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

My dad called me at work about 30 minutes ago. I'm answering my phone as I'm running to the stairwell for privacy, because something bad has to have happened for him to call me in the middle of a work day. My dad got a new phone and wanted to make sure it worked.

What the hell is wrong with retired parents that think this is ok? Like my mom has a phone, which is in the same house, you could have called that, or I'd you absolutely need to try my number you could wait until after 5:00 when I'm not at work.

It's like the time my mom called me at 7:30 in the morning on a work day in October, because she wanted to know my Christmas plans.

My in-laws lulled us into a false sense of security by calling at odd times with nothing. I wasn't prepared for the 6pm "your childhood dog is dead". I only knew that dog 3 years but she was great.

Otherwise they're lovely people.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I love when olds text "CALL ME!!" with no warning as to whether it's deadly serious or mundane bullshit

e: we are watching King of the Hill on Hulu and after every episode, it plays an episode of Law and Order SVU and we have to go back to the main screen and pick Koth again. Why does Hulu suck so much rear end?

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:46 on Dec 4, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I love when olds text "CALL ME!!" with no warning as to whether it's deadly serious or mundane bullshit

I got one of those the other day; it was because my mother, lord love her, had accumulated more of the ultimate mom currency* and wanted to know if I had any use for it.

*Kohl's Cash, of course.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
You know, we live in a society. Yet every hard pretzel box/bag is like 25% well-salted whole pretzels with the rest being totally unsalted fragments.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Let's Play videos where the player feels obliged to read every single text box in a goofy voice; if I'm watching your video pretty much by definition I have to HAVE WORKING EYES and can read it myself with the pause button if I need to so long as you aren't crazy fast on the skipping. I guess maybe it's some sort of "I need to fill the dead air" thing, but these people are generally NOT voice actors so the actual result tends to be painful. In my case it doesn't help I read faster than most people speak, so the main effect for me is to get stuck waiting for them to finish slooowly reading it out in an annoying voice. Though I guess it's better than the occasional LP where it seems the host DOESN'T read the text at all, and you get to watch several minutes of them screwing around because they didn't pay attention to the game's instructions.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: we are watching King of the Hill on Hulu and after every episode, it plays an episode of Law and Order SVU and we have to go back to the main screen and pick Koth again. Why does Hulu spuck so much rear end?

When I was 20 my dad texted me "please call a tragedy has happened" in the middle of class. The tragedy? He accidentally ran over a delicate and expensive but entirely replaceable gift we had gotten my sister for her impending graduation.

Also Hulu is the only app on my fire stick that constantly skips and buffers during playback. Complete dogshit app.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People that can't read a loving goddam map. I write the interstates I want to head towards on scrap paper and use my phone map if I am utterly baffled after pulling over for gas or food or whatever.

Put my partner behind the wheel, I have to navigate, and it's this https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=1KbvBayqPH4

Love you, but learn basic spatial awareness PLEASE. Also learn directions instead of everything being right or left.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

People that can't read a loving goddam map. I write the interstates I want to head towards on scrap paper and use my phone map if I am utterly baffled after pulling over for gas or food or whatever.

Put my partner behind the wheel, I have to navigate, and it's this https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=1KbvBayqPH4

Love you, but learn basic spatial awareness PLEASE. Also learn directions instead of everything being right or left.

Right and left are directions

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: we are watching King of the Hill on Hulu and after every episode, it plays an episode of Law and Order SVU and we have to go back to the main screen and pick Koth again. Why does Hulu suck so much rear end?

Speaking of commercials, I went to Sling almost 2 years ago & suddenly they're putting these godawful 4-5+ minute commercials on their On Demand shows. Used to just be the usual 20-30 second ones but lately I was watching a show & some commercial came on for these "tiny house" people that lasted well over 5 minutes, I thought it'd somehow started auto-playing another channel or show. It's only on some of their newer recorded shows too, older ones on demand have the usual 2-3 commercials that last maybe 2 minutes tops.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

Right and left are directions

Is Santa Fe, NM right or left from Amarillo, TX?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is Santa Fe, NM right or left from Amarillo, TX?

Yes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When you accurately portray what someone did/said that upset you and they're like "I didn't do/say that"

Where the gently caress do you want me to go from here? We were meant to discuss our reactions to the exchange, but you deny the exchange

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

When you accurately portray what someone did/said that upset you and they're like "I didn't do/say that"

Where the gently caress do you want me to go from here? We were meant to discuss our reactions to the exchange, but you deny the exchange

This argument tactic is thankfully less effective in the internet age. Hell, when I was a hardcore alcoholic, one of the last straws to get me to seek help was endless arguments with my ex where I'd deny everything and he would send me screenshots of all the disgusting poo poo drunk me had said.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Brawnfire posted:

You stop interacting with assholes like that until they take the hint. Either they cut the bullshit, or the trash takes itself to the curb & you don't have to deal with some shithead denying accountability.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
On the other hand, it's possible for two peoples perceptions of events to differ significantly, especially in an argument. Any tone or voice or turn of phrase can be construed or misconstrued into however the recipient is already predisposed to feel about it, so before long what actual truth or meaning there was to a situation can almost cease to be objective.

That's only in the case of an emotional argument though, as opposed to an actual proper debate or conversation of facts. In which case, yeah, if someone backtracks on their original position or tries to make out they never made a particular point or stance, then gently caress em!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

MadDogMike posted:

Let's Play videos where the player feels obliged to read every single text box in a goofy voice; if I'm watching your video pretty much by definition I have to HAVE WORKING EYES and can read it myself with the pause button if I need to so long as you aren't crazy fast on the skipping. I guess maybe it's some sort of "I need to fill the dead air" thing, but these people are generally NOT voice actors so the actual result tends to be painful. In my case it doesn't help I read faster than most people speak, so the main effect for me is to get stuck waiting for them to finish slooowly reading it out in an annoying voice. Though I guess it's better than the occasional LP where it seems the host DOESN'T read the text at all, and you get to watch several minutes of them screwing around because they didn't pay attention to the game's instructions.

The right arrow on my keyboard has never seen so much use as it has while watching LPs like these.
“AnD nOw ThErE iS a KiNg WhO-“
*skip*

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

This is why you only watch LPs by professional voice actors.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

There was a train delay today for about 30 minutes and every two minutes there'd be an announcement to once again apologise for the delay. The apology was enough the first time, stop giving us hope with the announcement tone if there is literally no new information.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Not so much a pet peeve as a parental amusement but:

Wife and daughter: ok, bye! We're headed to school!

Me and son: ok, bye bye! Say bye bye!

*minutes pass*

Wife: ok, goodbye for real now!

Me: wtf you're still here!?!

Son: *starts crying for mommy*

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

There was a train delay today for about 30 minutes and every two minutes there'd be an announcement to once again apologise for the delay. The apology was enough the first time, stop giving us hope with the announcement tone if there is literally no new information.

Those announcements are for people who just got on the train and don’t know about the delay.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
This guy. The fact that they're almost always in an enormous bro-truck or SUV practically goes without saying.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 14:52 on Dec 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Alternatively, they are properly in their lane but creeping forward at a rate of six inches per second so you can never quite see around them to tell if it's safe to turn onto the road.