Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Also re: the show moving quickly, remember that Rafe originally wanted 10 episodes in addition to a 90 minute pilot so it was conceived with an additional 4.5 hours of runtime, which would help slow things down and let the characters have more time to breath.

The shot of Mat and Rand looking at Tar Valon from the cliff was cool af and could have been one of the book covers. I want more small moments like that.

e: page 66 hail the great lord of the dark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I miss snarky happy funtime Mat :(

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

can definitely see a pattern of taking “guest” type characters and using them to dramatize possible dangers or issues for Our Heroes, whether it be Logan, or Stepin, or that nameless AS that Valda burned when they introduced him. Cool way of avoiding info dumping so far.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

they should just spend more time on the main characters

that loial transition cut was bizarre

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

shrike82 posted:

they should just spend more time on the main characters

that loial transition cut was bizarre

definitely feels like there was supposed to be another scene in between that was either cut for time or couldn't be filmed due to covid

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
No spoilers is Loial cool or really dumb?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
hes cool and good

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Affi posted:

real and my friend

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
might be the only universally beloved book character, in fact

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Affi posted:

He's awesome, he's basically Robert Jordan writing himself into the story and not in the Mary Sue way

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Episode was good. Really getting hooked on the show now.

Liked Loial, hope we get more of him. Will be glad when the gang is all back together. I didn't really have any problems with the pacing honestly.

I feel like Egwene grabbing the Whitecloak's ring collection will be important. From the red asking Moiraine what she's been up to for the last few years, I feel like the White Tower doesn't or can't really keep track of the AS who are wandering. They might have no idea that those AS have been killed by the WC's. It's one thing to tolerate a group of fanatics lurking outside the city, another thing to have a murderous group of fanatics. I wonder- if an AS faces off against someone who has killed half a dozen of her sisters, would that make that person a grave threat to her that she could kill and keep her oath?

And re: the warders, yeah people handle grief differently. Some wail and beat their chests and some just quietly decide to end it. I got the impression that he held it together so he could finish the ritual of bringing the ring back to the fires from whence it was forged in the heart of Mt Doom the White Tower, and after that no more...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Affi posted:

He's one of the few characters in the book I fully enjoyed

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I think the show also gives a little bit of an impression that valda may be a bit of a loose cannon even by questioner standards. They went out of their way to show a pretty deep divide between the military and Inquisitor structures in the organization, with the former being represented by a fairly normal-seeming person who even showed compassion for moiraine.

Valda is not like most white cloaks, and we have clues that suggest he's not like most questioners either. As the poster above stated, it may be that his murder spree is not really known and may have consequences once revealed.

The show is not what I expected or even remembered from the books in terms of tone, but in some ways it seems better and more artful. This version of Lan and Moiraine in particular is just vastly different but I really like it. Less storybook and more human.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Affi posted:

He's cool. Cool, cool, cool.

Six seasons and a movie, let's go, Rafe!

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Whenever Loial's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, "Where's Loial?".

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Fridging is when a character (unfortunately usually a female love interest) is killed specifically to give another character motivation, Moraine and Lan don't need more motivation. This was to show the risk and the consequences of their Aes Sedai and Warder bond, as well as the general risk they have in their mission to find the Dragan Reborn. Every time Moraine is in danger so is Lan and for him it's even worse since her death by anything, be it a trolloc, a darkfriend, or even an accidental fall, will mean he will ultimately die too.

Yeah Laila was a fridging

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

i say swears online posted:

stepin was great, but I didn't care about the ceremony. it was a lil much for someone meant to be expendible, in character and creed

I think the ceremony goes to show that warders are not expendible. They're also part of the oath an Aes Sedai takes where she can use her power as a weapon. That says anything other than "expendible"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The episode was ok but I’m calling it now that not one of them is the dragon reborn but all 5 of them are and it’s going to be like some voltron poo poo where they combine powers.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

im enjoying this but it really is xena level tv

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Qmass posted:

Yeah I’m having a hard time seeing where they blew all this money.

I also really hate it when shows do the thing where the characters get where they are wanting to go but decide to not quite go there yet because of *reasons*.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
The dragon was within Moiraine all along.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Qmass posted:

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I’m having a hard time seeing where they blew all this money.

yeah, it certainly wasn't on loial

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I cannot imagine who the dragon might be. :D

I’ll see myself out.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Qmass posted:

I'm inclined to agree.

Episode 5 was still exciting, but I was disappointed with the lack of scale. It felt more glaring in the city than in episode 4. I suppose it's par for the course until the production gets the greenlight to go big.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 3, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
OK Loial looked not as bad as I feared.

I honestly didn't care about the warder stuff at all.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Affi posted:

I was sold on the voice alone. Loial is cool and good in the books, and is cool and good in the show.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Whenever Loial's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, "Where's Loial?".

Loial should be in the background of every scene muttering about stuff. :colbert:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

OK Loial looked not as bad as I feared.

I honestly didn't care about the warder stuff at all.

the warder stuff was boring as hell, and they could have shown much more interesting stuff instead, or even moved the plot forwards

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Episode 5, not as good as ep 4. Some parts were a bit questionable, others had more glaring issues

First you have the decision to dedicate good parts of the episode to the funerals of tertiary characters, when there is so much ground to cover. It served as a fine structure to introduce world building and explain the AS-Guardian relationship but still... eh.

Second, the audience belief is stretched in scenes like the Whitecloaks acting a mere 1km away from Tar Valon. uh? I think realistically, all that area, of as a minimum 20 miles radius, is a no go zone for them. All the villages will be against them.
I remember when GoT stretched belief so much with the mysterious jumps and geography in the last two seasons, it's worrying they are already problematic here in the first season.

Third, I don't get why Valda would insist Egwene was a channeler. Even for that world, and even for a Questioner, it isn't normal to torture literally every peasant girl you find in hopes she is a channeler, because he happens to have seen her twice on the journey. I mean... maybe it's because both were going on the same direction of travel??
One thing is being evil and fanatical, and another is being so impractical. He will find women with the Power maybe 1 in 5000 with that behavior.

Fourth, there is a very glaring skipped scene, in between Nynaeve in the White Tower talking to Liandrin, and she appearing on the inn where is Rand and Mat, immediately.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 3, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Episode 5, not as good as ep 4. Some parts were questionable, others more glaring issues

Second, the audience belief is stretched in scenes like the Whitecloaks acting a mere 1km away from Tar Valon. uh? I think realistically, all that area, of as a minimum 20 miles radius, is a no go zone for them. All the villages will be against them.
I remember when GoT stretched belief so much with the mysterious jumps and geography in the last two seasons, it's worrying they are already problematic here in the first season.

Yeah this really bothered me.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

people have talked about power and geography in this thread before and yes it's very much As Written that the whitecloaks are able to roam extremely closely to (some) urban centers and be effectively unchallenged

mercenary companies roaming around sacking and killing and extorting people were an extremely real historical problem and city-states keeping standing armies that can consistently project power outside their borders is also historically difficult

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 3, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Whitecloaks in the villages surrounding Tar Valon is in Eye of the World. In fact here's a Theroyland post from 2004 making the same criticism!

https://www.theoryland.com/theories.php?func=5&rec=89&theo=1671

e: while the first post in that link is spoiler free for the show up to this point I can't say the comments aren't so read at your own risk if you care about that stuff.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 3, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

eke out posted:

people have talked about power and geography in this thread before and yes it's very much As Written that the whitecloaks are able to roam extremely closely to (some) urban centers and be effectively unchallenged

It’s not just some random urban center though. It’s the stronghold of the people they are fighting against.

It’s a bit much.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Whitecloaks in the villages surrounding Tar Valon is in Eye of the World. In fact here's a Theroyland post from 2004 making the same criticism!

that's a fuckin dangerous as hell site to link if you're talking about show stuff and not intending to spoil the hell out of anyone reading.

feels like this thread is mostly spoiled people posting anyhow, but still.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

It’s not just some random urban center though. It’s the stronghold of the people they are fighting against.

It’s a bit much.

it is a city-state on an island run by people who cannot fight unless their lives are directly threatened, no idea where people are getting "whitecloaks couldn't go within a 20 mile radius of it!!" from

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Whitecloaks can go into Tar Valon itself and do, they just can't preach or do any overt culty bullshit that'll have the city guard crack some skulls.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Gwaihir posted:

that's a fuckin dangerous as hell site to link if you're talking about show stuff and not intending to spoil the hell out of anyone reading.

feels like this thread is mostly spoiled people posting anyhow, but still.

Nothing in the first post of that link is a spoiler to what we've seen in the show so far, but I did mean to add a disclaimer before and forgot, so I added one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ad090 posted:

Whitecloaks can go into Tar Valon itself and do, they just can't preach or do any overt culty bullshit that'll have the city guard crack some skulls.

Yeah but that’s the book versions but from what I’ve seen so far they are different from what the show is doing.

The show version are being depicted as incredibly evil.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that is not accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

https://www.theoryland.com/theories.php?func=5&rec=89&theo=1671

e: while the first post in that link is spoiler free for the show up to this point I can't say the comments aren't so read at your own risk if you care about that stuff.

lol

what does that say in the thread subject?