Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

alot of folks from change the channel usually has some sorta of giant twitter drama because they went into super serious harder hiting critic stuff with breadtube or whatever and also doubled down in the twitter game and that ended poorly

I cannot overstate how important it is for creators to not be assholes on social media. The best way is to not be on there, but if you must be, don’t be an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Also Lindsay Ellis is doing well and other members who left channel Awesome like Brows Held High. Honestly the bigger issue that stemmed from those who left was some of them had a lot of internal issues that we get some privy into? Idk anything of their relationship stuff but I don't wish to pry. Also Doug was more neglectful than outright malevolent like Mike Michaud and Rob Walker if I remember correctly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Annointed posted:

Also Lindsay Ellis is doing well and other members who left channel Awesome like Brows Held High. Honestly the bigger issue that stemmed from those who left was some of them had a lot of internal issues that we get some privy into? Idk anything of their relationship stuff but I don't wish to pry. Also Doug was more neglectful than outright malevolent like Mike Michaud and Rob Walker if I remember correctly.

At worst Doug is merely complicit in the abuses of his brother and Michaud. His is a fine line between "willfully ignorant" and "literally so stupid he did not even realize it was happening". One can't quite be certain. Which is all ancillary to the fact that he's a lazy, talentless hack who just stagnated and failed to evolve like the rest of his contemporaries did and he's managed to coast on the evergreen market for mediocrity.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

At worst Doug is merely complicit in the abuses of his brother and Michaud. His is a fine line between "willfully ignorant" and "literally so stupid he did not even realize it was happening". One can't quite be certain. Which is all ancillary to the fact that he's a lazy, talentless hack who just stagnated and failed to evolve like the rest of his contemporaries did and he's managed to coast on the evergreen market for mediocrity.

Noooo; Doug let everyone mourn and honor JewWario for literally years before they found out the truth about him through Doug's own incompetence. He's his own brand of terrible.

nine-gear crow posted:

A lot of that also turned out to be gaslighting and projection on Brad's part, from what I recall. There's a reason why the common denominator in all of Brad's various busted relationships is Brad himself.

You know how Brad used to bring up Jake stealing his girlfriend at the time? With the way everything has come out over the years I honestly would not be surprised if that turned out to be Jake getting them out of an abusive relationship.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zetsubou-san posted:

Codex Entry finally finishes the tutorial to Pathologic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pP8odmhRs8

Finally!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Captain Invictus posted:

so I was vaguely interested in the Guardians of the Galaxy game, I thought the previews looked pretty poo poo, but the gameplay looked decent and some of the dialogue was okay. they showed some really goofy-rear end comic characters they put in the game and it seemed like an okay time, so I thought I'd pick it up when it was on deep discount.

I just watched PatStaresAt's sponsored 2-hourish stream of the game, and it looks phenomenal, worth a watch if you're remotely curious about the game, might sell you on it early but later in the stream are some really really good jokes and the best dialogue prompt in any game I've ever seen:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1216964088?t=0h13m1s
https://twitch.tv/videos/1216964088?t=781s

genuinely strong writing, actually really fantastic graphics and setpieces, some good fun pulpy sci-fi plot, great interactions with the Guardians(though it is a little jarring since it's pre-MCU-style Guardians, so they're still a ragtag band with little confidence or companionship), and the "new" characters from the comics are(as of early chapter 2) really great. the facial animations are excellent too. the one downside to watching it streamed, which it has an entire mode dedicated to which disables the licensed music to avoid DMCA, is that you don't get those awesome scenes punctuated by classic rock music and such. sometimes, apparently, there's no music in those scenes at all. so I'll probably buy it when it's on a small sale just to play it with the licensed soundtrack enabled, because there's some great stuff on there.

but yeah, that stream 100% sold me on the game. early on apparently the combat is very sporadic and extremely basic due to lack of abilities, but I guess it gets a lot more in depth later on. I can't believe how badly they botched the previews for this game, there's so much dialogue and character moments from CHAPTER ONE they could have gone with to sell it and instead they used a bunch of fairly bland things from across the game. stupid marketing departments.

its very very good but the biggest issue is the combat kind of sucks rear end especially early game and the story doesnt full get going and take off until like a quarter way through but it has one of the best uses of Chekhov's gun that i have seen in long long time.

thetoughestbean posted:

I cannot overstate how important it is for creators to not be assholes on social media. The best way is to not be on there, but if you must be, don’t be an rear end in a top hat

this.

Annointed posted:

to an extent but she keeps getting caught up in twitter poo poo shows every couple months that end badly. I like lindsey ellis and alot of the people who left. my point is that doug doesnt really have that much drama surrounding him anymore.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is it still the case that Doug’s audience is mostly children who age out of liking him? It seems weird that middle-school kids in 2021 would be into some mid-40s guy shrieking about The Real Ghostbusters and Ernest Saves Christmas.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thetoughestbean posted:

This feels like the key to Rolfe's success, certainly. I think it's way more 'the Cinemassacre account' than James himself on Twitter. James also has worked very hard to keep his private life private, which was smart.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is it still the case that Doug’s audience is mostly children who age out of liking him? It seems weird that middle-school kids in 2021 would be into some mid-40s guy shrieking about The Real Ghostbusters and Ernest Saves Christmas.

I am so very, very glad that the first time I heard about him was that one video which just... Dunked on him for that the Wall parody he did.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean it says something to Doug's level of general incompetence that he gave legal ownership of the character he plays to his rear end in a top hat, deadbeat friend who doesn't do anything for the brand.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Noooo; Doug let everyone mourn and honor JewWario for literally years before they found out the truth about him through Doug's own incompetence. He's his own brand of terrible.

You know how Brad used to bring up Jake stealing his girlfriend at the time? With the way everything has come out over the years I honestly would not be surprised if that turned out to be Jake getting them out of an abusive relationship.
As I remember it, the "girlfriend" herself and some mutual friends said that it was 100% one sided. That she never actually dated Brad and had already told him early on that she wasn't interested in anything romantic with him before ever dating Jake. :shepface:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jamie Faith posted:

Pretty sure it was always that. The old "Brad Jones" account was where he posted all his very early Cinema Snob stuff before he moved to blip. When he came back to youtube, he started that Stoned Gremlin Productions channel. Pretty sure SGP is what he calls his little indie movie production group aka him and his friends he made movies with.

Shows how well I've been following this stuff. I figured it was some rebrand after Change the Channel I just thought who the gently caress is Stoned Gremlin what a horrible name.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChG35KSRlks

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

probably. i mean i liked him in high school(gently caress i feel old or young)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

i thought the jewwario stuff was kinda of an open secret to a degree and that when it did come out fully, it was hushed up by both sides because reasons. i am probably misremembering.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i thought the jewwario stuff was kinda of an open secret to a degree and that when it did come out fully, it was hushed up by both sides because reasons. i am probably misremembering.
I'm pretty sure that "the other side" was people who one of the victims had confided in after his death and memorial stuff, but did not wish for them to make it public. And I think Jacob Chapman spoke about personally experiencing JW trying to groom him. Big difference between covering up abuse to keep your moneytrain going smoothly vs people respecting victims' wishes of not outing their trauma.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I thought I read one of the other members of the site finished some series JewWario was working on and was totally in the dark about what he'd done.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

I'm pretty sure that "the other side" was people who one of the victims had confided in after his death and memorial stuff, but did not wish for them to make it public. And I think Jacob Chapman spoke about personally experiencing JW trying to groom him. Big difference between covering up abuse to keep your moneytrain going smoothly vs people respecting victims' wishes of not outing their trauma.

yeah that makes more sense. thanks.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqtWaUzNy7o

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

I thought I read one of the other members of the site finished some series JewWario was working on and was totally in the dark about what he'd done.

MarzGurl, yeah. And somebody else - I think Linkara's girlfriend at the time - had a story about accidentally stumbling onto a message on Justin's phone that certainly raised an eyebrow but figured "Well, if that's what he and his wife are into then it's none of my business" which is correct but his wife didn't actually know.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

I'm guessing this means ZD is going to do a Kingdom Hearts LP, but the question is... will he be doing it with an in-character Goofy voice the whole time?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

that just made me think of this horror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZdLbiF9gCo

like pretty sure its an old goon troll

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah and one of them kept JewWario's stupid hat in the background of all their subsequent videos as a tribute which really loving taints said videos in retrospect.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm guessing this means ZD is going to do a Kingdom Hearts LP, but the question is... will he be doing it with an in-character Goofy voice the whole time?
Nah, he announced these the same way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikOuUa3hFjA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPNrjRariow

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shyrka posted:

Yeah and one of them kept JewWario's stupid hat in the background of all their subsequent videos as a tribute which really loving taints said videos in retrospect.

That would have been Bennett. I'm sure he feels weird about it, too. Phelous also talked about leaving in his cameo from one of the Pulse films.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

That would have been Bennett. I'm sure he feels weird about it, too. Phelous also talked about leaving in his cameo from one of the Pulse films.

You can tell when Bennett found out the truth about Justin because the hat just instantly disappears from his set the very next video afterward, probably directly into a trash bin or fire pit depending on how angry he was upon learning what his "friend" had done behind his back.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nine-gear crow posted:

You can tell when Bennett found out the truth about Justin because the hat just instantly disappears from his set the very next video afterward, probably directly into a trash bin or fire pit depending on how angry he was upon learning what his "friend" had done behind his back.

yea I don't hold that against Bennett, you can 100% pinpoint when he found out what a shithead he was because that hat fuckin vanishes like it got thanos snapped with no fanfare

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah sorry, completely forgot about Doug hiding Jew Wario’s predatory actions.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
When ever the shityness of Channel Awesome comes I wonder how much the Great Recession factored into that planforms success. I really think the job market during the first half of the Obama administration was critical in a creating a pool 20 somethings who couldn't find 'really' jobs and turned to reviewing and keeping them desperate enough to put up with the abusive working conditions. I just don't see two dozen people going to Nevada for a week and then working free after 2013.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 3, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

if they viewed what they were doing as work they wouldn't have done it for free, regardless of whether or not there was more financial security during the great recession or during the covid recession.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So apparently there was this huge story analysis of Xenogears that just concluded:
Xenogears Story Analysis - State of the Arc Podcast

Each episode looks like it's at least around 2 hours, and there are 21 episodes. That's... a lot of viewing, especially since I found this because I'm planning on replaying Xenogears myself. I don't think I can justify spending all those hours watching this when I should just be replaying the game myself. But I watched the first 4 episodes to get a sample of what they're all about and it does provide good supplementary info. It isn't just a synopsis, it does actually analyze what certain things mean, explains Japanese terms or ideas in the background of the writing, etc..

So if you like Xenogears, this isn't just Xenogears CliffNotes, it's actually a true deep dive, and I always appreciate that. I just gotta hold off so I can actually start making progress through the game again myself.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the only way to do a xenogears deep dive like that is to do 20 episodes that are 2 hours long about the first disc and then the 21st episode is about the second disc and is 30 minutes long

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

This is the perfect companion piece to Lightning Strikes Thrice and the Xenosaga podcast episodes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Takoluka posted:

This is the perfect companion piece to Lightning Strikes Thrice and the Xenosaga podcast episodes.

Xenogears and Xenosaga were some of my first JRPGs ever. Xenosaga 1 might have been my second or third JRPG ever... After FFVIi the order gets a bit murky but I think it went FFVII then FFIX then Xenosaga 1.

I commented the other day that if Xenogears had a good battle system, it be the perfect JRPG. Hell, if it even had a passable battle system and dungeons it could be perfect. But it doesn't and I miss when I had played so few JRPG s that this didn't matter or stick out to me. But now, in 2021, the deafening silence in dungeons really sticks out to me. I would chalk it up to budget issues but Xenosaga 1 [i]also[i] has no music in most of its dungeons. In fact, XS1 is even worse because while XG at least had town music, there is no music on the Durandal or Dock Colony or Woglinde. I frankly don't understand this choice and it's really bad. Ugly, ugly dungeons with no Mitsuda music to at least take the edge off is the worst.

Chrono Cross might have a lot of problems but at least it had good dungeons WITh awesome Mitsuda music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2hBHZ1Qmkk

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Dawgstar posted:

Spoony put up a hat too, but even at that time his output wasn't that plentyful, so it was easy to miss. Also, lot's of people put that hat on their Twitter avatars for a time which was... yeah in hindsight.

Now, I'm seeing people saying CA covered up or hid his actions, which was technically true, but to give them the smallest bit of credit, they did so at the request of his victims. To take away that credit, the truth came out because of their unbelievable bungling when responding to change the channel.

I don't believe any of the contributers knew at the time, though some may have had suspicions.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Alaois posted:

the only way to do a xenogears deep dive like that is to do 20 episodes that are 2 hours long about the first disc and then the 21st episode is about the second disc and is 30 minutes long

The second disc video couldnt be that much shorter
Mostly because there is so much plot to cover.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

That game seems bad

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Ann Reardon found a new type of really creepy Youtube channel (segment starts around 3:15):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfcKCk6vPCE

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_bUBZghhwY

It has arrived.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mr.Radar posted:

Ann Reardon found a new type of really creepy Youtube channel (segment starts around 3:15):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfcKCk6vPCE

If content farms ever die out, future adults will be nostalgic for this era of fractal-generated trash the way I sometimes am for UHF broadcast television before 1995

e: also, when it became clear that this person was just going to critique the individual bot-grown, human voice-acted stories, I turned it off.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a little-known but up-and-coming youtuber I like is Gavin Spence, who does quick transformers reviews, usually like 2-3 minutes long and funny. he's got a little under 5k subscribers, but he's been churning out reviews relatively regularly, and they're pretty good reviews too. his most recent two especially, a third-party Grimlock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOF1yOLRxU8&hd=1

and...Adjudicator, a 60 dollar original transforming robot that transforms from a 2-foot-tall robot into basically a nerf sniper rifle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJFNa2IxgBQ&hd=1

I love his disdain for various things and his total bluntness. like his review for Cyberverse Wildwheel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvZ45iFlzZY&hd=1

"his legs are as hollow as your promises, mate"
"the gun fires with the force of a kitten's laugh"

I love his little one-liners. him and Thew are the two transformer reviewers I still follow.