Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
magnus (under time pressure) made a big mistake with 36. Rc2, which allows Bxb4.

But Ian let him off the hook and played Qd5 instead!

Did he just miss it? For a moment, it looked like it wasnt gonna be a draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
What the hell was Ra2 there?

Nepo's gotta win on time here.

EDIT: Nc5 to put pressure on the queen :vince: Nepo just blew it, didn't he?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Both players make time control and I feel like white is winning.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
That was really intense.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

D34THROW posted:

What the hell was Ra2 there?

Nepo's gotta win on time here.

EDIT: Nc5 to put pressure on the queen :vince: Nepo just blew it, didn't he?

you dont actually win on time in a game like this. the opportunity was when magnus made a mistake with rd1 when he was running low on time, he was never going to actually flag

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Zteuer posted:

That was really intense.

yeah that was awesome to watch

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
tfw the engine gives you five blunders in a row because you didn't loving take b4

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Who was that dude in the white robe and what was he doing with Magnus? I've never watched championship chess before.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Those were some crazy swings right before the time control.

But before that:
Magnus: I am going to play an innovative opening and then trade QvRR.
Stockfish: 0.0 basically a forced draw from move 8.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

Those were some crazy swings right before the time control.

But before that:
Magnus: I am going to play an innovative opening and then trade QvRR.
Stockfish: 0.0 basically a forced draw from move 8.

Not all equal are equal. Kramnik pegged the QvRR line as "white wins eventually" as soon as he saw it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Not all equal are equal. Kramnik pegged the QvRR line as "white wins eventually" as soon as he saw it.
Yes, exactly that makes it funny. Stockfish thinks it is more drawish/equal then even a normal championship game. All humans love it as a tense game.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

VictualSquid posted:

Yes, exactly that makes it funny. Stockfish thinks it is more drawish/equal then even a normal championship game. All humans love it as a tense game.

maybe stockfish saw a potential perpetual check down the line or something

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

D34THROW posted:

Who was that dude in the white robe and what was he doing with Magnus? I've never watched championship chess before.

An Arbiter and he gave him the score-sheet to sign, at least according to Anand's commentary.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Frankly it's more interesting to follow the game without evaluation bars even if I have no idea who's better, you look at the position and see play, but the engine goes "nah" and it's easy to dismiss what's happening. Also Americans poisoned the world with their anti-draw mentality, eww, draws are fine (as long as it's not a 14-move forced draw, the bunt of chess).

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Svidler and Kramnik seem to have decided that white's best way forwards is to sacrifice an exchange to clean up black's queenside pawn, win black's h-pawn in the process, and then try and convert RN4P against Q2P.

e: These analysis lines are amazing. Black queens the pawn but white gets a mate threat that black can only parry by sequentially sacrificing all his pieces to force a stalemate.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Nepo maybe going all in to clear out white's pawns, but it sounds like a lot of the casters think the line is winning for Carlsen.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
d=50 Stockfish says white is winning here by like +0.5

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Dias posted:

d=50 Stockfish says white is winning here by like +0.5

if that line is anything like what someone told Svidler the computer line is, lol if Nepo sees it. Some completely inhuman moves, like playing Bb2 because if white takes it with Rxb2, black has Qe1+ forking the other rook on a4.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hand Knit posted:

if that line is anything like what someone told Svidler the computer line is, lol if Nepo sees it. Some completely inhuman moves, like playing Bb2 because if white takes it with Rxb2, black has Qe1+ forking the other rook on a4.

The flipside of looking at the engine analysis is that you appreciate that Nepo and Carlsen are walking a tightrope.

Draw now I guess, welp.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

White with the initiative now. Black has to answer some very hard questions.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can appreciate how stressful playing an even endgame for advantage in the World Chess Championship must be at least, oof.

edit: Magnus is keeping this alive, drat

Dias fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 3, 2021

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I guess Carlsen is very confident in this position, but it kind of feels less winning than the last one. But also this position probably has another 40-50 moves in it. And they have to play again tomorrow.

e: I wonder if Carlsen wants to put the N on f3, the R on e2, and just start pushing the e-pawn.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
This game is pretty cool. I'm glad fabi found the bishop on the 2nd idea. Did Magnus give Nepo a chance for advantage in the midgame? It wasn't clear to me.

Then the endgame they got into! Fun stuff.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 3, 2021

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

I usually go for Caro Kann a lot as Black, or a similar pawn structure like Slav or Semi Slav if they go for a queen's pawn opening. One thing I started doing more after feedback from this thread was moving my white bishop to kingside before advancing my e pawn. Is there any way for me to tell if it's a good idea to instead lock my white bishop away with e6? Here it was the best move, because it turns out that I was leaving my queenside pawns undefended after bishop takes knight, rook takes bishop. The opponent didn't see it either though because we were playing bullet.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Magnus is a computer, man.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
(as of move 132) this endgame is shaping up really badly for Ian! i don't think he can stop white's pawns

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

(as of move 132) this endgame is shaping up really badly for Ian! i don't think he can stop white's pawns

There are few enough pieces that you can check it with a tablebase now. And it's a win for white. But, of course, that requires play from both players.

e: e6 is a very concrete move by Carlsen. I wonder if he sees the end of the line.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I’ve only been able to follow this with that evaluation bar, because just about everything they play is completely intractable to me.

jvilmi
May 29, 2004
What an epic Magnus squeeze, holy poo poo

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
:drat:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The first championship win in something like 5 years.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

The first championship win in something like 5 years.

November 24, 2016 Carlsen-Karjakin game 9.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I legit cheered a little with that first pawn move to make sure there wasn't a draw by moves without pawns or captures.

Hot drat, what a game.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

e: e6 is a very concrete move by Carlsen. I wonder if he sees the end of the line.
I bet he calculated kg5 & took a shallow look at black's responses to e6. e6 keeps the position very alive for him and anything black does you have a very good move to respond with. As long as you identify that you can't move the rook there aren't a lot of options in that position.

I have zero idea how he actually thinks but that's why I was in favor of e6. I'm not good enough to calculate whether kg5 is a draw or win in the brief time the position was active (or at all probably lol), but I saw some black response that looked tedious/drawish while e6 didn't seem to close any doors.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 3, 2021

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I don't think I've ever seen Carlsen look as tired as he did in the post game interview

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Also, that's an absolutely incredible practical win. With how many people have come to chess in the past few years, and follow the games with the computer eval, it's a great way to really show of all the ways human chess exceeds what the computer can see. This game was "equal" for about 120 of its 136 moves, but there were so many different types of equality.

Probably the best world championship match since Anand-Kramnik game 5.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
so when did it all go wrong for black?

After looking at what the computer thinks, it looks like the wheels came off when black played 72... Ba7 instead of Ba5, Bc7, or Bd8. Ba7 let white push the bishop around with the rooks. Eventually, white gets two pawns and the bishop for white's spare rook, leaving black with just the king and queen to try and stop white's connected passed pawns (computer can do it, but very hard for a human).

It was still a draw according to the tablebases, but seems really hard for a human to find moves for black. On move 130, black needed to hit white's rook on f5 with his queen. The tablebases say Qb1 or Qc2 are the ONLY drawing moves, and everything else loses. I'm sure the draw is long and insane -- even stockfish cant see how to draw it without consulting the tablebases (it thinks the Qb1 or Qc1 are +1.0 for white, and it wants to play Qa1 instead, which is losing).

Anyway, he hit the rook from the other side with 130... Qe6, and it seems like the problem must be that now the queen can't get behind white's pieces anymore, and the pawns are unstoppable, with or without help from the tablebases.

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 3, 2021

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
That was an awesome game.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I'm curious about two things:
1) How many chess players in the world would have been able to win that against Nepo after black's last pawn was traded off (so Q+K vs R+N+2P+K). I mean, is this something that pretty much nobody besides Carlsen could have pulled of, or is it a case where white can't really lose anymore so most GM would eventually be able to convert it?
2) Whether this will break agadmator's record for longest recap video of a chess game. (no idea what the record is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

so when did it all go wrong for black?

There are different ways of answering this.

One way of looking at it is when black played 25...Rac8 instead of 25...b4. The computer evaluation is largely unaffected but it creates a persistent imbalance that favours white. One of the consequences of this imbalance is that from this point onwards, whatever black plays has to be concretely working. "Neutral" lines allows white to consolidate and eventually win because the rooks (once coordinated) provide far superior activity and control to the queen. This is the point in the game that Kramnik said that white wins eventually.

Another way of looking at it, probably the least fair way, is that it went wrong for black when he missed the various wins in the time scramble towards the first time control. After Carlsen blunders with 33.Rd1, black is concretely winning for a stretch before punting with 36...Qd5.

After this there is a long stretch of play where Carlsen gradually improves his position and Nepomniachtchi has to accurately defend through a mix of passive and active moves. On move 72 there's a concrete line for Nepo to "save" the position but it's very inhuman. Similarly to the time scramble, it feels kind of unfair to blame him.

And then you have the long endgame, which flips from an objective draw to a loss after Nepomniachtchi tries to defend with his queen on the wrong side of the pawn.

By the computer's objective evaluation, he doesn't go wrong until the queen move in the endgame, but the real answer for where it went wrong is probably on move 25. Once you have that reduction, you have a basically endless position where black has to play nearly perfectly to draw. It's not a losing move by any means, but it certainly seems to be the point that shaped the game into the loss it became.