Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Nintendo can't be seen to support open source emulator movements.

So they have to be bespoke, and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Rutibex posted:

You don't need to port every single game, once you get the emulator running they all work.

Most emulators have significant amounts of game-specific quick-fixes running under the hood that have accrued over literal decades of development and troubleshooting, and a non-zero amount of these fixes can be undone with even the smallest changes made for the sake of other architecture.

And even then, you're overstating how well all emulators can run their entire related libraries - even as recently as last week, I discovered that it's still basically not possible to emulate Donkey Kong 64 without myriad problems.

This whole process is generally not as easy as people make it out to be. Also even beyond the technical hurdles there's all the copyright stuff.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bleck posted:

And even then, you're overstating how well all emulators can run their entire related libraries - even as recently as last week, I discovered that it's still basically not possible to emulate Donkey Kong 64 without myriad problems.

:v:
None of what I said applies to N64, it is a cursed system.

I've played a lot of emulators on a lot of janky hardware and Nintendo doesn't have this excuse. If hackers can port an emulator that works for all games 99% then Nintendo is holding back intentionally. Its not a matter of them having a lack of programmers or resources, its a deliberate strategy to not release all their backlog at once.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i think paper mario's battle system will probably work fine

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Paper Mario sucks because it’s so loving good that you’ll spend the rest of your life mad that every subsequent Paper Mario/Mario RPG game sucks rear end and isn’t as good

Weedle
May 31, 2006

neato burrito posted:

Also I'd like to say that I am playing far more pinball on my Switch than I ever thought I would when I bought it. Pinball FX3 is pretty dang good.

have you played demon's tilt?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Looper posted:

i think paper mario's battle system will probably work fine

Isnt it pretty generous with the inputs? I remember playing it on emu like 8 years ago and not having any trouble with it

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I remember it being asked a few times but for some reason don't remember the answer:

How's the Disco Elysium port?

I might have time for something that does involve thinking but does not (much) involve reading.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hammer Bro. posted:

How's the Disco Elysium port?

Runs OK, but save before every loading screen. It crashed about once every couple of hours when I was playing it. I got about 15 hours in, lost a half hour to a crash and told myself I'd get back to it if/when it patched.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Detective No. 27 posted:

JRPGs are a genre where input delay isn't usually too big of an issue since the battles are turn hased. So it's also funny that the one big JRPG N64 has relies on quick timing button and is very prone to input delay.

Still shouldn't really be a problem here. The timing will just be different. In an action game you have to react to stuff on the fly but your timed attacks here are going to have the same timing every time, which you'll get used to in a couple minutes.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rutibex posted:

Wow nintendo sucks at emulators then because hackers managed to port over tons of emulators to the Switch quite easily. You don't need to port every single game, once you get the emulator running they all work. Especially simple systems like the NES:

https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Applications

You don’t port games individually but lots of the publisher funded “ports” definitely do put a bit more effort than slapping it into the emulator

Xbox has a backwards compatibility team actively working on stuff

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Alan_Shore posted:

Dark Souls again: just got cursed for no reason (I was hit once by a frog and died even though I had loads of health) in the Depths.

So now I have half life until I get a stone or someone heals me? What a wonderful and confusing mechanic that ensures I have to spend half hour getting out of the dungeon to seek a cure.

Sorry dude, this caused me to ragequit and abandon Dark Souls before I returned to the series.

You can get a healing item from 2 NPCs, on in the aqueduct that leads from the central bonfire to the under burg. This is the tunnel and required you to open a shortcut that's near the Capra Demon. I think she sells the purging stone more cheaply than the other guy.

The other npc location is in the belfry that you went up after the gargoyle fight.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Alan_Shore posted:

Dark Souls again: just got cursed for no reason (I was hit once by a frog and died even though I had loads of health) in the Depths.

So now I have half life until I get a stone or someone heals me? What a wonderful and confusing mechanic that ensures I have to spend half hour getting out of the dungeon to seek a cure.

The mist that the basilisks spew out will fill your curse gauge, when it's full you turn to stone and die.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Huxley posted:

Runs OK, but save before every loading screen. It crashed about once every couple of hours when I was playing it. I got about 15 hours in, lost a half hour to a crash and told myself I'd get back to it if/when it patched.

Hmm, thanks. Maybe I'll wait 'til patches / Steam Deck for that one.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I kind of hate myself - I got a Switch OLED alert at a Target very close to me - so without even thinking just opened the link and hit "buy".

I'm justifying this purchase that my Switch is a pre-2019 version and, when I checked, hackable, so it is worth some money?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I kind of hate myself - I got a Switch OLED alert at a Target very close to me - so without even thinking just opened the link and hit "buy".

This is the ideal socioeconomic system. You may not like it, but this is what peak purchasing performance looks like.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rutibex posted:

If hackers can port an emulator that works for all games 99% then Nintendo is holding back intentionally. Its not a matter of them having a lack of programmers or resources, its a deliberate strategy to not release all their backlog at once.
It's both. The (S)NES emulators used in the classic systems (kachikachi, canoe) are also used for NSO, and based on folks's experience modding the (S)NES classics those emulators have varying compatibility across titles not included in those systems. So yes, they are actually testing all these releases before pushing them out, and they're doing this for the fourth or fifth time now in some instances.

I think with this most recent effort Nintendo is trying to streamline the emulation so that once titles work, they'll work deterministically across different host platforms. They're not really in a rush though because there's only so many titles they have publishing rights to and they meter them out pretty slowly.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I'm justifying this purchase that my Switch is a pre-2019 version and, when I checked, hackable, so it is worth some money?

Yeah check eBay and the like. There are listings for hackable consoles (without JoyCons) for $250-350. Very possible you could make a profit on the original purchase.

I have a launch Switch and have not modded it, even though I probably should.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

yep https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=unpatched+switch&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

even "tablet only" listings regularly go for ~$300, with a dock/joycons/etc you can potentially get even more

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm astounded that Nintendo hasn't re-released TTYD or remastered it.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Anyone have experience replacing the joycon rail on the system? Was it a pain?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

This is the ideal socioeconomic system. You may not like it, but this is what peak purchasing performance looks like.

Lol

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Counterpoint the switch oled is really really really nice and I get a dopamine hit every time I pick mine up. Let yourself blow a couple hundred bucks here and there on something dumb that makes you happy

We're hosed either way broseph

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Oh and you have a pre Redbox switch? Sheeeit The battery life upgrade is really sizable, so if you play handheld a lot you're getting good value out of your upgrade

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

wish nerds would let me buy one 😡

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Well Target just canceled my order saying it is "no longer available for pickup" lol

Better luck next time I guess

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i will not be strong armed into ordering one from eBay for $100 over msrp, no way.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's "only" 100 over msrp because they aren't that hard to get thankfully.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Thinking back to last year when I ordered a "new" switch from Amazon and it came in a blank box with each component in a different type of bag and some packing material.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Well Target just canceled my order saying it is "no longer available for pickup" lol

Better luck next time I guess

Do you live close to the border? I can find them everywhere up here in Canuckville.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The neon one seems easier to find maybe because the dock isn’t fancy white. I’d call random GameStops and maybe some independent games stores if you have any around

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Do you live close to the border? I can find them everywhere up here in Canuckville.

Unfortunately not. I'm subscribed to a Discord that alerts me to Switch/PS5 drops and even local Target drops. Doesn't seem to have any options for Gamestops though. Also this Discord seems to do daily PS5 drops (lol you still can't get one) the Switch OLED drops are more rare. Which seems weird to me because it seems like the Switch OLED is overall easier to get? If anyone has any twitter or discord recommendations feel free to share them as now I am in the mindset to buy one.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is the trilogy of resident evil 4, 5, and 6 related to the trilogy of 1,2 and 3? i ask because i want to play through the series, but it doesn't seem you can get 2 and 3 on the switch. and i was just curious if 4, 5, and 6 would be good enough?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

they're all connected in completely insane ways that don't matter and each one stands alone just fine. 4 is a masterpiece, 5 is okay, 6 is pretty bad. the remake of 1 is really good too. just get 1, 4, and maybe 5 if you really want to

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
everything you need to know about 2 and 3 is in the intro for 4 and the 1 Remake is very good and is on Switch

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

is the trilogy of resident evil 4, 5, and 6 related to the trilogy of 1,2 and 3? i ask because i want to play through the series, but it doesn't seem you can get 2 and 3 on the switch. and i was just curious if 4, 5, and 6 would be good enough?

short answer no

slightly longer answer, they're all very different games, connected only by the (marvelously dumb) story, and RE4 is the best by an unfathomable distance

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The first RE game I ever played was 2 on n64 and it scared my entire family.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

The first RE game I ever played was 2 on n64 and it scared my entire family.

*creepypasta voice* to death!!!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

abelwingnut posted:

You should play RE Zero. You can get it on the switch and its classic-style.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i would say start with 4, then play 5 and 6 if you want more of that style, then switch to 1, followed by 0 (but preferably 2 and 3) if you want more of that style

also revelations 1 and 2 both play kinda like a combo of old and newish re, and are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Looper posted:

i would say start with 4, then play 5 and 6 if you want more of that style, then switch to 1, followed by 0 (but preferably 2 and 3) if you want more of that style

also revelations 1 and 2 both play kinda like a combo of old and newish re, and are good

Yeah don’t sleep on the Rev series, especially 2.

The answer is basically all Resi is good. 4 is the best of the action oriented latter day titles, 1 remake is the best of the old school that’s available on switch.

Rev 2 is kind of a hybrid of both. Rev 1 is also this but it was a (good) 3DS game and I think the sequel is way better.

5 is okay.

Only bother with 0 if you need more classic remake style RE. Only bother with 6 if you need more action RE.