Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

TheCenturion posted:

How is 'the psych eval showed that she is sane and competent' not immediately followed by 'and will therefore stand trial for incitement to violence?'

You know the answer to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Mr. Mercury posted:

You know the answer to that

Oh god, are you saying the RCMP *is* the Galactic Alliance Special Forces? It all makes so much sense now.....

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

TheCenturion posted:

How is 'the psych eval showed that she is sane and competent' not immediately followed by 'and will therefore stand trial for incitement to violence?'

Hasn't she suffered enough indignity?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
please indict the Queen of Canada for incitement to violence

no, I didn't say Romana Didulo

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Lassitude posted:

Honestly though when you have the Galactic Alliance in your pocket do you really even need JTF2 or CSOR?

Back the gently caress up, I thought the references to 'Queen of Canada' were a sort of a tongue-in-cheek declaration, are you telling me that this person and others literally believe she is the Queen of Canada and has command of military forces? Apparently including ones from space?

The internet was a mistake.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

We have people who believe in flat earth, vaccines causing autism, world leaders powered by the scream canisters from monsters inc, and virogenic cell phone towers; and that's your question?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
It's all about layers.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Fidelitious posted:

Back the gently caress up, I thought the references to 'Queen of Canada' were a sort of a tongue-in-cheek declaration, are you telling me that this person and others literally believe she is the Queen of Canada and has command of military forces? Apparently including ones from space?

A local business posted a photo of 2 of these followers on Facebook after they issued one of their summons to the business for enforcing the mask mandate. Unsurprisingly, they looked completely brain dead.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Fidelitious posted:

According to my insane Q-brained former co-worker, this lady was installed by the same alliance that put Donald Trump in power. They actually believe she is the actual for-real Queen.

She didn't say this alliance was from another planet at the time but it's something she might believe by now.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Why is it that the shadowy NWO governments always seem to pick the most bat-poo poo crazy people to head the governments? I mean, you want me to follow your appointed leader, anoint Tom Hanks or Weird Al and I'll follow them in a heartbeat.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Give me a Nardwuar-led people's republic

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

MNIMWA posted:

Give me a Nardwuar-led people's republic

Doot doola doot doo ... you're a cabinet minister!

The whole Qanon thing feels like an old school Internet thought experiment where you feed people ridiculous information just to see how long they'll follow along. I remember doing exactly that in a conspiracy usenet forum just for fun. It got boring fast.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 2, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
These past two years have taught me i never want to do politics in any way besides “queen of the world with unquestionable edicts”

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Randalor posted:

Why is it that the shadowy NWO governments always seem to pick the most bat-poo poo crazy people to head the governments? I mean, you want me to follow your appointed leader, anoint Tom Hanks or Weird Al and I'll follow them in a heartbeat.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

Zaphod Beeblebrox

They tried that already. He told people to overthrow his elected successor by storming the legislature.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

InfiniteZero posted:

Doot doola doot doo ... you're a cabinet minister!

The whole Qanon thing feels like an old school Internet thought experiment where you feed people ridiculous information just to see how long they'll follow along. I remember doing exactly that in a conspiracy usenet forum just for fun. It got boring fast.

Whoever was the original "Q" poster on 4chan pulled the ripcord and got out of the game after like a year-ish because they saw the monster their shitposts had created, and it scared them. Pa and Son Watkins then took over when QAnon jumped for 4chan to 8chan and then it really spiraled into madness because they were just as insane as the true believers and did not care that there was now no bottom to be hit. Now it's millions of independently bonkers people coming up with their own local franchise of madness under the QAnon brand and selling it to other bonkers people, and on and on and on and it will never stop now.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Huh.

https://twitter.com/globalnews/status/1466187644040327174

quote:

B.C. RCMP spokesperson Staff Sgt. Janelle Shoihet said the Mounties could not confirm whether Didulo was detained or any details of her account.

“Only in the event that an investigation results in the laying of criminal charges, would the RCMP confirm its investigation, the nature of any charges laid,” Shoihet said in an email. “Given the aforementioned, we are not in a position to confirm.”

So no charges at all?

loving A

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 3, 2021

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
She just needed a quick meeting with her handler.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I demand to speak to the Q Governor General!!

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.

EoRaptor posted:

Zaphod Beeblebrox

i miss that bar

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Dr. Thoss posted:

i miss that bar

It was easily the best thing Ottawa had going for it

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Dr. Thoss posted:

i miss that bar

When did Zaphod’s close?

What about the Bare Fax?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheCenturion posted:

What about the Bare Fax?

Building is for sale but it’s still open

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Shot

https://twitter.com/cityoftoronto/status/1466820311224102920?s=20

Chaser

https://twitter.com/dmrider/status/1466869508300288007?t=kDdOEOwXMky6dyQMfop35w&s=19

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

This is some weird reporting by the city. Reporting aggregate counts of variant cases, ok, but citing possible exposure to a specific variant at a location seems real dumb. If you wanna do a mild/significant/oh-poo poo-isolate-asap kinda level thing, ok. Am I supposed to keep a mental mapping of variants to how concerned I should be? "Eh, gently caress it, just a Beta exposure."

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

pokeyman posted:

This is some weird reporting by the city. Reporting aggregate counts of variant cases, ok, but citing possible exposure to a specific variant at a location seems real dumb. If you wanna do a mild/significant/oh-poo poo-isolate-asap kinda level thing, ok. Am I supposed to keep a mental mapping of variants to how concerned I should be? "Eh, gently caress it, just a Beta exposure."

I don't think anyone in charge knows what the gently caress they're doing, to be honest with you. See also: this weeks closed borders to some countries / border testing / quarantine fiasco.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

pokeyman posted:

I'll translate for you:
This location had a case, since they didn't keep a customer log, we have no way of letting people who may have been exposed know other than a public announcement. Also it was Omicron, so please get tested even if you're vaxxed.
Other people shouldn't worry, though, this location is otherwise safe and dining is generally safe, please keep going out to eat.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Via G&M

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-federal-government-to-turn-over-thousands-of-documents-to-national posted:

The federal government will hand over thousands of previously undisclosed residential school documents to the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation.

In an interview, Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Marc Miller said the government has come to the conclusion that continuing to withhold the documents is a breach of Ottawa’s “moral duty” to survivors of the schools.

The federal government has faced increased political pressure to advance reconciliation with Indigenous peoples since earlier this year, when several First Nations announced that they had located unmarked graves near the sites of former residential schools.

Ottawa has released other documents containing information on residential schools to the Winnipeg-based NCTR in the past. Mr. Miller said the government believes those prior releases fulfilled its legal duties, but that it now feels obligated to go further. This latest disclosure will amount to about 12,000 pages.

The NCTR, which holds the country’s largest collection of residential school materials, works to educate Canadians about how First Nations, Inuit and Métis students were forced to attend the government-funded, church-run institutions, where widespread abuse occurred.

Mr. Miller said the government had not previously disclosed these records because of third-party obligations to the Catholic institutions, including Sisters of Saint Anne and Sisters of Providence. Two other institutions that had influence over the records are now defunct.

According to Mr. Miller, the government plans to inform the surviving institutions that the document release is taking place. He estimated that the handover process would take about 30 to 45 days.

When asked how the government overcame the legal hurdles to releasing the documents, Mr. Miller replied: “We haven’t.”

He said he has made the Conference of Catholic Bishops aware that Ottawa has an obligation to survivors and that the federal government cannot be the “sole custodian” of the information.

“I’m not going to assume that there is necessarily an adversarial position right now,” he said. “We need to work together with those Catholic institutions to achieve that closure for survivors.”

Ottawa intends to sign a memorandum of understanding with the NCTR on the document release, he added.

In a statement, the NCTR said it welcomed the announcement from Mr. Miller.

The centre called the decision a “significant moment” for survivors and Canada and a “major step towards accountability and a stronger understanding of the legacy of residential schools.”

The statement added that the NCTR doesn’t know the full extent of the records and will need time to identify and catalogue them. Once the records are organized, the centre intends to make them available to residential school survivors, as well as their families and communities. The files are a mix of government and Catholic Church documents, the NCTR said.

On Oct. 19, the NCTR released a strongly worded statement after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau visited Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc Nation, where he apologized to the chief for not accepting an invitation to spend the inaugural National Day for Truth and Reconciliation with the community. Mr. Trudeau was instead in Tofino, B.C., on vacation with his family on that day – a decision he has since said was a mistake.

The statement said the Prime Minister had incorrectly claimed that the government had “handed all records on residential schools” over to the NCTR. The centre noted that it hadn’t received information on some schools, and that its information on others was incomplete.

The centre also said it was still waiting for the government to provide final versions of school narratives and supporting documents used in the Independent Assessment Process (IAP). The IAP was established to resolve claims of serious physical, sexual or emotional abuse suffered at residential schools.

Mr. Miller said “absolute confidentiality” applies to documents related to the IAP because of a Supreme Court of Canada decision that must be respected. He said he will work with Justice Minister David Lametti, Indigenous Services Minister Patty Hajdu and Northern Affairs Minister Dan Vandal on a way for third parties to access this information.

He said he could not say how long this process might take, because it will require a review of internal procedures and processes.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Why are there "previously-undisclosed residential school documents" in the first place?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

Why are there "previously-undisclosed residential school documents" in the first place?

to be fair, anything relating to children is going to go as undisclosed as possible for as long as possible, as a general rule.

It's just that in this case that tendancy was abused to hide poo poo.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

flakeloaf posted:

The implication that article is that Catholic institutions who hold some kind of ownership right on the records are opposed, but the calculus changed from "they might sue us" to "let them sue us."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Because they contained data the government didn't, or claims not to, have the latitude to release. Either they got the relevant institutions to sign off on the release or they've decided they can just do it anyway.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Oh absolutely let them sue us. We'll take it out of the interest on what they owe in unpaid settlement money.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
I know we've had mask chat before but I can't find it in the thread - where do you all get your masks? Looking for something higher quality than the regular medical masks I currently have. I don't really go anywhere but would like to have some good masks around if/when I do have to go out and about.

shark jumpah
Dec 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
thank you

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

ColdBlooded posted:

I know we've had mask chat before but I can't find it in the thread - where do you all get your masks? Looking for something higher quality than the regular medical masks I currently have. I don't really go anywhere but would like to have some good masks around if/when I do have to go out and about.

I have a shitload of masks from Weddingstar (not a joke) and I love the patterns and the shape of them. I also use them with filters. Lots of places sell them here (like London Drugs) but there’s lots more choice online.

I also got a set of really thick fabric ones with “IT GOES OVER YOUR NOSE” written on them from Etsy, because I am a passive agressive person by nature.

There’s tons about now that they’re also a fashion item. But Weddingstar has been the most consistent commercially for myself.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ColdBlooded posted:

My wife nicked a few from her work for me. They have boxes of KN-95s for employees and almost nobody is wearing them (even took a couple months' nagging before my wife finally started :argh:). I rotate through three of 'em, letting them air out on off days, and they last me a couple months of light usage. So if you know anyone who's going into a workplace, you could get them to ask around? Might be surprised!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ColdBlooded posted:

https://www.uline.ca/BL_1080/3M-Industrial-Respirators?keywords=N95
The 8200 are pretty good, but they're big. 8210 is a a bit smaller and provides a better seal.
They have masks and filters if you want that.

Apparently they're starting to be in stock at home depot if you only want a few instead of a case: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/3m-performance-respirator-8210p2-dc-paint-prep-n95-2-pack/1000157935

I wish a non-poo poo store sold these, but that's too much to ask, apparently.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Please do not buy from Uline, you might as well be buying masks from MagaChud316 at that point.

This Canadian company sells good masks, try them instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Any news on supplies in Vancouver/highway rebuilds? Seems like the weather is still loving with things.