Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Eh just do whatever the vet recommends, aside from being anxious about keeping her quiet and not jumping around everywhere because that's always the advice and it's impossible to make a kitten do that, and she'll be fine. I think it's just to stop owners from playing vigorous games with them for the first few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The vet just loaned us one too, and we gave it back when the sutures came out. Just do whatever the doctor says to do. :v:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Unless it’s that vet that said to buy live mice and trap them in a bathtub for the cat to play wtf

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

Doll House Ghost posted:

Here's the chunk himself:

Exquisitely photogenic! I wish his ears and stress levels the best.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but are there any recommendations for "budget" level automatic cleaning litter boxes? I pay for pet expenses for the cat and dog I had with my ex as "child support" and my ex has a bad back so moving the litter box, scooping every day, and then moving it back to where the dog can't get tootsie rolls out of it is taking a toll. A friend of mine has one that looks like the Epcot Center that has a slide-out tray but it's like $400-500 and I can't afford it, but I don't know what the price range to expect for a decent one is.

The unfortunate truth is any that aren’t the Litter Robot (the one your friend has) is probably not going to be worth the effort.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Doll House Ghost posted:

That's a good idea, thanks! He's a very food motivated dude.

Here's the chunk himself:

Overflowing with charisma.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Buff Hardback posted:

The unfortunate truth is any that aren’t the Litter Robot (the one your friend has) is probably not going to be worth the effort.

It is very worth it though. Cuts down on litter use somehow too. Think about how many times poop has been scooped over the years and then think about never having to do that again along with getting a notification on your phone when its full and needs a bag change once a week or so.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks guys. Got Quill back and it's been really rough. She peed in the carrier before we even left the vet, she was screaming and freaking out, ripped the collar off in the carrier in the car on the way back, was running around jumping everywhere freaking out about the bandage where her IV was, Ugg. Finally got that dressing off and she's behaving super normally which sucks because that means we can't get a cone on her. Just trying to distract her enough that she eventually gets tired and lets me put that on.

She doesn't wear a collar normally and I finally got one on which is a small victory. I guess I'll try the cone later but I don't see that working. Also she's super hungry and keeps trying to eat everything so I've been giving her just a bit more than the half portion we were instructed to (several hours after she got fed for the first time and she doesn't seem distended at all).

She's not showing any signs of being uncomfortable or sleepy at all. I was expecting her to be totally out of it for a day or so??

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

As long as she's not tearing or constantly licking at the area, don't worry about the cone of shame. Kittens are amazing at recovering from drat near anything.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

As long as she's not tearing or constantly licking at the area, don't worry about the cone of shame. Kittens are amazing at recovering from drat near anything.

Thanks. I got the cone on her for about 20 seconds before she pulled on it so hard it brought the collar up and started choking her so I cut it off. Ugh.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Esme posted:

We think one of our cats ate an Effexor pill that got left out on the nightstand last night :( We called poison control as soon as we found the pill missing, and took him to the E-Vet once he started showing possible symptoms (spacey, slightly disoriented and a little touch-sensitive) on their advice. It was extremely difficult to watch both cats trying to distinguish symptoms from normal cats being weird, and cats being weirded out by us staring at them. He’s going through intake now, no real questions I’m just worried and sad and looking to vent somewhere.

If it makes you feel any better, the few studies I found about cats getting into effexor (which is weirdly common? Apparently they're attracted to it) end with something like "All symptomatic cats in this study had resolution of clinical signs and survived to discharge"

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks guys. Got Quill back and it's been really rough. She peed in the carrier before we even left the vet, she was screaming and freaking out, ripped the collar off in the carrier in the car on the way back, was running around jumping everywhere freaking out about the bandage where her IV was, Ugg. Finally got that dressing off and she's behaving super normally which sucks because that means we can't get a cone on her. Just trying to distract her enough that she eventually gets tired and lets me put that on.

She doesn't wear a collar normally and I finally got one on which is a small victory. I guess I'll try the cone later but I don't see that working. Also she's super hungry and keeps trying to eat everything so I've been giving her just a bit more than the half portion we were instructed to (several hours after she got fed for the first time and she doesn't seem distended at all).

She's not showing any signs of being uncomfortable or sleepy at all. I was expecting her to be totally out of it for a day or so??

This all sounds pretty normal! She's probably gonna be fine.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
My cat walks around sometimes doing a weird trill-meow with a toy mouse in her mouth. The vet said it wasn't a cause of concern, she just wants attention, but she does it when I'm working from home and on the phone, so I can't give her any. I've tried playing with her on my lunch break, but that just seems to wind her up, and she'll do it at certain times of the day regardless. Any ideas?

I'm thinking she might need more toys to amuse herself while I'm busy. She has cat tunnels around the house, various small toys throughout, and we've tried puzzles, but she's very interested at first, but quickly gives up. Some self-play toy recommendations would be appreciated.

She's about 1.5 years, with an older brother whose about 11 years old, if it matters.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Is cat, some of them yell sometimes for no reason.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sometimes they like to chat to themselves. When we're upstairs falling asleep we'll hear one of ours happily squeaking away while batting a toy around the living room.

One of our previous cats liked to yowl for no reason. Once a month or so she'd post up in our dining room, which has a vaulted ceiling, and yell at the top of her lungs for five minutes. Then she'd be done and go back to being quiet for a month.

Cats are gonna cat.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Cool, just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a lovely cat dad.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Yeah, some cats don't pick at their stitches at all. Keep an eye on the area but if the cat is cool with it you may not need a cone or onesie.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My ladycat will walk around with the fake mouse in her mouth mrowing all muffled-like and it's really funny. We always know when she's playing with the mousey based on the noise she makes.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
When Princess is in the mood to play, she'll mrowl from the bedroom for Young Boots to come in. Sometimes Elder Boots will talk just to hear himself talk. Perdy calls Chino from the bedroom. Fartie and Young Boots are just mouthy for attention because I dote on them when they give the tiny meows for pets.

Speaking of Perdy, someone has gotten mighty comfy at long last. Wife and I were talking in bed the other night and we saw a familiar black face creeping up beside us and staring at us :kimchi: She's never been a bed cat until recently, and that was the first time she'd ever been on the bed with a human on it.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

BrainDance posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the few studies I found about cats getting into effexor (which is weirdly common? Apparently they're attracted to it) end with something like "All symptomatic cats in this study had resolution of clinical signs and survived to discharge"

Thank you, this is very comforting to hear - searching online yesterday of course I mostly found anecdotes about the ones that ended badly. About the part I bolded, yeah - poison control also mentioned that to me. It was easy to get lax about safety since these cats normally don't even show interest in human food, but I guess the pill was irresistible. It's a lesson we'll certainly never forget.

The vet gave Hannibal subcutaneous fluids and monitored him for the day, but ultimately felt that it was better for him to be sent home since he was stable. They warned us that he would be high af for a couple days, and to bring him back in if he showed seizure-like symptoms or decreased responsiveness. So far he is mostly just flopped on the floor staring around everywhere with his huge dilated eyes. He'll reach out to us with his paws if we call him or pass near, but getting touched seems like it's a bit much for him. He'll also try to play if we have a toy near him, is grooming himself, and is just as excited for treats as usual, though I haven't seen him go for normal food/water/litterbox yet... will be keeping an eye on that. His poor sister is a little scared of him since he came home smelling weird and won't play with her, and just stares her down with those massively dilated eyes all the time. They did do a bit of their normal grooming session that devolves into biting session early this morning though.

Anyway, hopefully he continues on the mend. This literally could not have happened at a worse time since we have to help my fiancee's elderly mother do the final move-out of her house today :cripes:. One of us will just have to swing by the apartment every hour or so to make everything is still ok.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Cinnamon loves to yell and does the 'walking around with a toy mousey in her mouth, MROOOWing loudly' thing a lot. For a few weeks she'd bring the mousey into the bedroom and drop it next to me in the night, which was extremely :kimchi: despite waking me up.

Loki is very quiet but has recently realised that his tiny cute little meow is excellent at grabbing our attention. Also sometimes he wakes up from a nap in the basket on my desk and meows a bunch, which absolutely kills me.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Our Bengal does that constantly. She'll "kill" a toy (usually a stuffed dragon on my wife's desk) and drag it to us, with it crammed in her mouth as far as she can and screaming. Or she'll just stand in a hallway screaming at nothing because she likes to hear herself echo or something.

Cross-posting from Cute thread:

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Alright now that she's settled in, time for an announcement.

REXIE HAS A NEW BABBY SISTER!

We met her a week ago in the kitten room at our vet when picking up Rexie's meds. She immediately trotted up to both of us like "yup, you're the ones". Here's the first pic I snapped of her right when she did that.

She smelled like pee and her coat felt greasy. She was really skinny. She had just gotten spayed and was just behind on her grooming, but she was the most affectionate little thing. We decided to ask about her but she was already adopted. We figured that was for the best, takes the decision out of our hands.

Then on Sunday my wife got a call: Were we still interested in Sasha (the name she had on the books)? I was up on the roof hanging lights and she's yelling up at me about a cat. We decided it was meant to be, let's go get her, and an hour later we have our 6th cat.

This is Iskierka. Yes, she has the Tortietude™.

We found out she was the runt of the litter and her mom had rejected her, hence why she's so skinny. She's been eating like a champ since we took her home, though, and we'll catch her up quick.

Introductions are going well. No cuddles yet, but Bishop and Tyrion have had confused moments of playfulness. Rexie is suspicious....

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Our Bengal does that constantly. She'll "kill" a toy (usually a stuffed dragon on my wife's desk) and drag it to us, with it crammed in her mouth as far as she can and screaming. Or she'll just stand in a hallway screaming at nothing because she likes to hear herself echo or something.

Cross-posting from Cute thread:

Aww what a sweet kitty. Love the little white eyebrows.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One of ours makes little grunty squeaks when she's pouncing and it's adorable as gently caress. It's like that guy at the gym grunting when doing curls, putting everything she's got into pouncing on a toy.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Here’s the shithead who had to go to the vet’s today.

It’s a deep puncture wound but didn’t impact anything else in his face, so they gave him antibiotics and I’m going to keep an eye on my little idiot. I honestly thought it was going to be easy to get him out of the house, and it almost was, but the latch on the carrier didn’t shut correctly and he managed to make a run for it. I got to spend 15 minutes playing “catch the cat”.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 3, 2021

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My cat has taken to following me when he sees me leave the house. When I'm walking down our quiet street he will trot along the road or crawl under the parked cars, and then when I turn onto the main road he'll cut through people's front gardens, scrambling through hedges and leaping over fences. This continues for about 1/3 mile until I reach the first junction where I have to cross the road. He'll sit on the wall and watch me until he's sure I'm not going to turn around and come back.

This is adorable. And terrifying. I hope he never gets the confidence to try to follow me further.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Studies of outdoor cats suggests their range is within a few hundreds yards if they have a proper home. True feral cats can go out quite a bit further because they need to find food, they range over a thousand acres.

So it's possible your kitty just thinks that spot is about as far as they need to go.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn, I freak out when my cat goes out into the hallway, I can’t imagine what I’d be like if she was walking near traffic.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I still slip out the door and close it real quick behind me every time I leave even though I don't think my cats have any interest in making a break for it.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Most of the time he's outside he doesn't go far. If he leaves the garden, I can usually still see him from the upstairs windows. He's got a favourite napping spot on the neighbour's shed roof and likes to toment another neighbour's dog by sitting on a fence just out of reach.

When he was still an indoor cat he went out on a leash every day, and I only ever took him the routes leading away from the main road. Luckily lots of people on this street have a cat or cats, so everyone drives slowly in case it's their own cat bolting across the road!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Whats it mean that sometimes I see my cat look like she's peeing (rear & tail up, her body is doing a little shake/vibrate) but nothing seems to come out? She does this a lot in the direction of my electronics but when I inspect I don't see or smell any cat urine?

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
One of my cats died recently, and I've noticed one of the cats that shares a house with my remaining elder steals her food. I am now feeding more cats her food because they prefer it, yet need to be eating the food that their owners get them.

He's a almost three year old black DSH, and was for a time living at a house where he would hunt, and constantly bring corpses and live animals into the house.

Since we've moved, he has become much fatter, but still has all of his muscle. I would like to keep him in the best of shape, but we now live further in the city with no large, lush yard. What can I do to keep him safe, and heathy?

He wandered out a month ago, and was so traumatized by crows he won't go out again. There are tons of city crows, and the alleyway behind our house has murders all of the time sitting on the power lines.

For more clarification, my cat is picky and old and she will only eat trash cat food in a specific brand. I have tried to change it but she stopped eating when her companion died, and she went through depression and stopped eating. I got her to eat by offering her a recommendation, and she was brutally skinny by that time. I'm glad she still eats.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

If you want a cat to lose weight you need to control his food intake, period. No other way to do it. Regular exercise will help, sure, but you're not going to get weight loss without limiting food.

I'm assuming you free feed the elder cat so she eats more? You're going to have to stop that and only feed her at certain times, in a room the other cat can't get into. If she isn't eating enough without free feeding... Well, you see the drawbacks of having multiple cats with clashing habits. It can be a frustrating balancing act, and there's not always a good solution.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What I did when we had an elderly cat that needed extra food and a young cat that was overeating is I'd sneak small snacks of kibble (like a tablespoon) to wherever elderly cat happened to be sleeping. I'd do this a couple times a day, more on weekends because I was around more.

She'd always wake up, eat it, then fall back asleep.

Yes it's more work, but being old loving sucks and takes some extra effort.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Alternatively, feed elderly cat somewhere that young cat can't get to. In a room by themself with a closed door, up on a high enough surface that young cat can't get up, etc.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sydin posted:

a high enough surface that young cat can't get up, etc.
How recently have you been around a young cat? Because mine leaps tall bookcases like it's nothing.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Hell, one of my cats is pushing ten and he can still do standing jumps to the top of the fridge.

Does anyone know of any good heavy-duty cat toys? My girl Donna loves mouse-type toys but isn't satisfied until she's left their eviscerated corpses at the foot of my chair and I'm getting tired of buying new ones.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That's how you know they love the toys. Just always buy cheap ones you don't care if they destroy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Have you tried the CoolCyberCats stuff? Both the buffalo and deer mouse packs. The tails disappear instantly but my cats haven't been able to destroy the main body yet.

They aren't extremely aggressive though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ThingOne posted:

Hell, one of my cats is pushing ten and he can still do standing jumps to the top of the fridge.

Does anyone know of any good heavy-duty cat toys? My girl Donna loves mouse-type toys but isn't satisfied until she's left their eviscerated corpses at the foot of my chair and I'm getting tired of buying new ones.

Destroying the toy may be a source of satisfaction for her. If you find a toy an adult cat still wants to play with I wouldn't gently caress with it.